Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Parksy said:
    I just found it interesting. it's a pretty big deal when a world leader has a marriage fall apart while still in office, whether you consider him a "cud" or not. Most try to wait until they leave office (unless there's something he's trying to overshadow, which is I'm sure what his haters will theorize). 

I would hate to be a public figure because of attitudes such as that. "how adorable"? They don't owe me anything. they don't owe anyone anything. it's absurd (and kind of disturbing to me) when people think they are somehow entitled to the details of someone's private life. 

mentioning it in this fashion on a band's message board is hardly going against their wishes of space. I didn't reveal or demand any info. 
    Just to be crystal fucking clear about it, if I am shitting on anyone it’s the media for giving this story so much focus and us the media consumers for gobbling up the bullshit. The fact it involves the man I hate (and can therefore have zero real perspective on him) is entirely secondary.

And you and I will clearly never agree that once someone chooses (there is a huge distinction for me when that word comes into play) the arena (because it’s not a fucking playground) of public life one is accepting that much, if not most or all of one’s life is now public fodder, especially in today’s celebrity- and scandal-obsessed environment. I wasn’t saying anyone owes anyone else anything, just remarking on the world we have all created. No offence but your own initial comment pretty well illustrates that, in fact part of why I replied at all was to post a link so that people could maybe understand what you meant.
    I remember last year...  top trending story on Yahoo was the Johnny Depp trial. 

Second... approximately 80% less viewers...  was Putin threatening nuclear war against the west. 

The media are only somewhat to blame ... to your point, it's the consumers who demand or at least pay a lot more attention to that stuff that are the problem. 

More people wanting to know about Trudeau's break up rather than his policies is at the heart of most of our societal problems (IMO) 
    Another recent example was the Titan sub coverage compared to the sinking of the migrant ship off the coast of Greece.

I hope I’ve been clear that I blame the consumers as much as the media and I fully include myself. As much as I preach “if you don’t like what’s on, change the channel”, yesterday I stayed primarily on CP24 (our local news station). In my mind it was partly because I wanted to get more information on a story that had been breaking before the proclamation, but once that dropped then I should have more easily accepted that this pap was now going to overpower any actual news, as the public chewed their cud, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think most people assumed they weren't exactly doing great, because she is never around like she used to be. I think that nobody really cares, that's all. *shrug* It is news, but not crazy news. Of course it's being reported, but I don't think it's salacious, nor a distraction. This isn't the media reporting on a hand gesture. There was an official statement released by the couple. I think you're making way too much of this. 
    bingo
    If they didn’t want anyone to make a big deal out of this they could have quietly filed the legal paperwork and when the story broke they could have simply refused comment due to it being a personal matter. I could have respected that, instead of the royal pronouncement we received followed by fawning media coverage (to be fair, I don’t know how the media portrayed this outside of the progressive mecca of Toronto).

So, in short, don’t blame me, blame the publicity whores who made the story into a big deal (but are now conveniently hiding themselves away). As I said last night, I truly believe we’re all being played on this.

Btw, while I did it rudely, I’m not telling you how to post, but offering some constructive criticism (and I’ll apologize for my tone with that observation).
    this isn't a "cake and eat it too". public figures put out statements like this all the time, so as to quash the rumour mill and having it add to any distractions. I expect anyone in public life to release such a statement, regardless of political persuasion. 

you've been giving us updates on everything that has been reported on. I'm not "blaming" anything on anyone, but you can't now claim that this is the media's fault, as they report what the ratings reflect, and you directly contributed to those ratings. you don't like it? shut it off. 

"do us all a favour and (post this)" is not constructive criticism. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think most people assumed they weren't exactly doing great, because she is never around like she used to be. I think that nobody really cares, that's all. *shrug* It is news, but not crazy news. Of course it's being reported, but I don't think it's salacious, nor a distraction. This isn't the media reporting on a hand gesture. There was an official statement released by the couple. I think you're making way too much of this. 
    bingo
    If they didn’t want anyone to make a big deal out of this they could have quietly filed the legal paperwork and when the story broke they could have simply refused comment due to it being a personal matter. I could have respected that, instead of the royal pronouncement we received followed by fawning media coverage (to be fair, I don’t know how the media portrayed this outside of the progressive mecca of Toronto).

So, in short, don’t blame me, blame the publicity whores who made the story into a big deal (but are now conveniently hiding themselves away). As I said last night, I truly believe we’re all being played on this.

Btw, while I did it rudely, I’m not telling you how to post, but offering some constructive criticism (and I’ll apologize for my tone with that observation).
    this isn't a "cake and eat it too". public figures put out statements like this all the time, so as to quash the rumour mill and having it add to any distractions. I expect anyone in public life to release such a statement, regardless of political persuasion. 

you've been giving us updates on everything that has been reported on. I'm not "blaming" anything on anyone, but you can't now claim that this is the media's fault, as they report what the ratings reflect, and you directly contributed to those ratings. you don't like it? shut it off. 

"do us all a favour and (post this)" is not constructive criticism. 
    Please read my previous post to Parksy.

If I suggested that posting a comment with no context or link to a story that provides said context can be confusing and even potentially misleading, will you please consider that then? I tried apologizing for my tone and do so again.

• Options
    He’s done a good job on this the last few years, but does this mean the return of shirtless Justin, lol?

• Options
    He got me, he claims he’s working today but I’m not convinced that his private meetings are with his latest set of LEGO, lol.

In other breaking news, Trudeau remains uncommitted to a public inquiry into the Chinese government’s interference in our elections, or any sort of review of our nation’s response to covid. I suppose the “many difficult and meaningful discussions” (which historically leads to the question:  What did Justin do this time?) with Sophie were more important than any responsibility for his actual job for which he’s paid quite handsomely by all of us. (Cue the responses that Justin is capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time, lol.)

• Options
    He got me, he claims he’s working today but I’m not convinced that his private meetings are with his latest set of LEGO, lol.

In other breaking news, Trudeau remains uncommitted to a public inquiry into the Chinese government’s interference in our elections, or any sort of review of our nation’s response to covid. I suppose the “many difficult and meaningful discussions” (which historically leads to the question:  What did Justin do this time?) with Sophie were more important than any responsibility for his actual job for which he’s paid quite handsomely by all of us. (Cue the responses that Justin is capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time, lol.)
    this is so absurd. you seriously can't separate a man's private life from his professional one? you're becoming as bad the anti-biden "dementia" "doesn't know where he is" folks out there. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

this is so absurd. you seriously can't separate a man's private life from his professional one? you're becoming as bad the anti-biden "dementia" "doesn't know where he is" folks out there. 
    Thanks for the putdown (I guess I jumped the shark again)? As far as I know the mute function still exists, maybe you should block me if this is your response instead of dealing with more of the substance of my posts. You really don’t seem able to get past my tone.

TRUDEAU IS A PUBLIC PERSON NOT YOUR TYPICAL PROFESSIONAL, can’t you see that? And let’s acknowledge how much he makes public himself, which has to factor in. And again, he CHOSE to enter this arena.

And a change to something I said yesterday, I do believe that when a couple is going to publicly announce their separation in the way we saw Wednesday (but I’m making a generalization here), then yes, the couple does owe us some answers (as opposed to running and hiding as the Trudeaus are doing, they’re the only example off the top of my mind). As I suggested, there were quiet ways to deal with the marital breakdown.

If you’re still reading this Hugh, what is your take on Trudeau’s obfuscation around the election interference issue with his continued denial of the will of not just the House of Commons but the will of the people as well?

• Options

If I’m blurring the lines between Trudeau’s public and private lives, it’s really only because that’s what he’s done himself.

• Options

The joke is how literally you chose to read what’s nothing more than a bad joke, actually.

• Options

Thanks for the putdown (I guess I jumped the shark again)? As far as I know the mute function still exists, maybe you should block me if this is your response instead of dealing with more of the substance of my posts. You really don’t seem able to get past my tone.

TRUDEAU IS A PUBLIC PERSON NOT YOUR TYPICAL PROFESSIONAL, can’t you see that? And let’s acknowledge how much he makes public himself, which has to factor in. And again, he CHOSE to enter this arena.

And a change to something I said yesterday, I do believe that when a couple is going to publicly announce their separation in the way we saw Wednesday (but I’m making a generalization here), then yes, the couple does owe us some answers (as opposed to running and hiding as the Trudeaus are doing, they’re the only example off the top of my mind). As I suggested, there were quiet ways to deal with the marital breakdown.

If you’re still reading this Hugh, what is your take on Trudeau’s obfuscation around the election interference issue with his continued denial of the will of not just the House of Commons but the will of the people as well?
    so you think it matters what the reasons are behind the dissolution of their marriage? how does that have anything to do with his premiership? I'd really like to know why you think they owe you anything personal, as you said, a complete 180 from yesterday when you said you didn't think they owed you anything. 

I don't know enough about the supposed interference to comment on it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

The joke is how literally you chose to read what’s nothing more than a bad joke, actually.
    I love how you are downplaying your obsessive hate towards the man. a joke? get better material. the majority of your post had to do with his personal life and your preemptive dig at the responses. you were obviously just looking for a reason to have another go at the guy. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

If I’m blurring the lines between Trudeau’s public and private lives, it’s really only because that’s what he’s done himself.
    how has he done that? putting out a statement of his marriage dissolving? really? haha. do you hold the same disdain for such announcements by other politicians, like a death in the family, or an emergency of some kind? of course not. because a) it's a ridiculous take and b) it's just pure bias at its worst. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

his JOB is public. his personal life is not. "how do you not see that?". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

so you think it matters what the reasons are behind the dissolution of their marriage? how does that have anything to do with his premiership? I'd really like to know why you think they owe you anything personal, as you said, a complete 180 from yesterday when you said you didn't think they owed you anything. 

I don't know enough about the supposed interference to comment on it. 
    Personally I could give a rat’s ass as to why their marriage broke down, but putting out a big public statement meant to dominate the news cycle then running away and hiding like they are is infantile then.

I really, really suggest you learn about the interference by the Chinese government, I’m astounded given how high profile a story it’s been for several months (or even years). The Trudeau government’s response to this (along with failures along the way) is stunning (to use a more neutral word).

• Options
    edited August 2023

how has he done that? putting out a statement of his marriage dissolving? really? haha. do you hold the same disdain for such announcements by other politicians, like a death in the family, or an emergency of some kind? of course not. because a) it's a ridiculous take and b) it's just pure bias at its worst. 
    How many times has he used his family or friends as a political prop? I wasn’t just talking about this moment, haha.

Even worse to use the children as a shield. If we’re (through the media) to give them their space, I can only assume that his personal photographer won’t be accompanying him on this family vacation (as he’s joined them in the past)?

Edited to add that yes, I am aware that pretty much every single politician trots their family out as a prop. Don’t make it right, and a pox on anyone that goes after the kids (my earlier joke was about the the parents choice of name, not the child as I see it).
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• Options
    edited August 2023

his JOB is public. his personal life is not. "how do you not see that?". 
    Except we know that no politician’s personal life is truly private, just look at Slick Willie (Clinton) and Trump. Canadian politics is fortunately boring in this regard except for when a Trudeau is the Prime Minister it seems (haha?).

Edited to change a like to a look.

• Options
    edited August 2023

I love how you are downplaying your obsessive hate towards the man. a joke? get better material. the majority of your post had to do with his personal life and your preemptive dig at the responses. you were obviously just looking for a reason to have another go at the guy. 
    I never should have used the words that I did to describe my feelings for the jackass who is our current Prime Minister.

Edited because I left out “my feelings for” by mistake.

• Options
    And why aren’t men allowed a shot at Trudeau, lol? I’m guessing there’s quite a few that might be interested, lol. Circling back to the comment that kicked this all off, lol.

Sad, but I’ll have to employ lols more liberally so that jokes aren’t read as observations, lol.

• Options
    In all seriousness, I did neglect to give Trudeau credit for (finally, imo) removing Marco Mendicino from cabinet.

https://apple.news/AJOz1xqcFR3W1RgsUakaD3g

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I agree with the columnist here that the reaction to the picture so far has been silly, however again this is Trudeau telling/asking us for privacy and space because of the children yet here he is trotting the child out publicly (not going to the movie but posting it on instagram). Hypocrisy at some of its finest, and Justin has given us many, many examples.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/warmington-justin-trudeau-put-out-the-twitter-bait-and-some-of-his-haters-ended-up-on-the-hook

Edit: I was on instagram and chose to look at the post in question (I was curious about how nasty the comments actually were), and I have to say it feels like he’s trolling the evil right by having such an ambiguous post, if one doesn’t know that’s his kid I could see how some assumptions might be made. I haven’t really dug too deep into the comments but they are pretty silly. In any case here’s the post in question (sorry, this was my first attempt at editing a photo, to remove an identifier in this case, can you tell, lol?).

As I was about to post the picture I zoomed in on the message on Justin’s sweatshirt, kind of an odd choice to me, but who knows maybe his son bought it for him before the movie, lol. Or maybe it was worn specifically for the online post (it would only help the trolling), he is pretty canny in that sense I have to admit. (Btw, I think Poilievre ditching the glasses is just as silly.)

• Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,676
    I agree with the columnist here that the reaction to the picture so far has been silly, however again this is Trudeau telling/asking us for privacy and space because of the children yet here he is trotting the child out publicly (not going to the movie but posting it on instagram). Hypocrisy at some of its finest, and Justin has given us many, many examples.

https://torontosun.com/news/national/warmington-justin-trudeau-put-out-the-twitter-bait-and-some-of-his-haters-ended-up-on-the-hook

Edit: I was on instagram and chose to look at the post in question (I was curious about how nasty the comments actually were), and I have to say it feels like he’s trolling the evil right by having such an ambiguous post, if one doesn’t know that’s his kid I could see how some assumptions might be made. I haven’t really dug too deep into the comments but they are pretty silly. In any case here’s the post in question (sorry, this was my first attempt at editing a photo, to remove an identifier in this case, can you tell, lol?).

As I was about to post the picture I zoomed in on the message on Justin’s sweatshirt, kind of an odd choice to me, but who knows maybe his son bought it for him before the movie, lol. Or maybe it was worn specifically for the online post (it would only help the trolling), he is pretty canny in that sense I have to admit. (Btw, I think Poilievre ditching the glasses is just as silly.)

You are bang on. Kudos. lol 

Of course he is trolling the 'right'.  If it's not Barbie, it's tweeting at Taylor Swift... and calling Freedom Convoy morons the 'fringe minority'

And the more Fox News, Tucker Carlson, Piers Morgan, etc. bash him for stuff like this... the more I actually WANT to vote for Trudeau.  Yes he's really, really, really terrible.  But I personally despise Fox News more than I despise Trudeau. And if they hate him, kinda makes me want to vote for him just to say 'fuck you' to the ignorant pieces of shit who hate him.   It's all apart of this whirlwind culture war we've been living in these past 6 years or so. 

Said it before, will say it again... he's a hypocrite, he's a doosh, he's a criminal to be honest...    but if you're a conservative, do not doubt his political savvy. 

He has and will continue to pander to the 'left' in Canada. If I wanted to win an election in Canada, I would do the same.  Those on the right, and those who hate him will cry foul and cry like babies to be honest....  but in the end, he's laughing. He's still the PM, he won 3 elections (not saying he should have or that he did it with dignity, but he won).

His primary opponent Pierre panders to the right. (see Freedom Convoy support, Jordan Peterson interview, taking an ill-advised photo with a man wearing an anti-gay shirt)   To me...  they're both playing the same dumb game.  I think that what folks ought to start understanding about Trudeau and the Liberals is that even though he's correctly awful in the minds and hearts of the right....  he represents a majority of the population of Canada (like it or not).  We are a left leaning society.... and in my opinion... I think that margin will widen the more old white people from the olden days pass away and more young immigrants become voting citizens. 

But 'Parksy...'  You ask.  'how can you be so sure?'   The proof is in the pudding (votes).  

The by-elections were about 7 weeks ago (?) and nothing changed.  Nothing. (actually.... I think I read that the Liberals actually did BETTER in the by-elections in a Manitoba riding.)  Libs kept 2 seats. Cons kept 2 seats. People on the right are 'shocked' that people still vote for him.  It's not necessarily the man... it's the political spectrum. And more importantly... it's NOT voting Conservative (Pierre). 

Pierre OBVIOUSLY has someone FINALLY telling him this... which is why he completely changed his persona. And I do mean COMPLETELY.  Once again... proof that it's not just Trudeau who is a hypocritical 'drama teacher'....   so is his opponent. 

That said... I'd be interested in seeing how those PPC types who considered voting for Pierre will feel if he continues down this path.  It's politically the correct move to make. But it also shows his right base that he has no problem changing and 'bending' to earn votes. 

I laughingly picture folks who went to his 'Ra-Ra Rallies' being like 'Wow, he really isn't what we thought he was.'   No shit. He's a politician.  

Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Doug Ford released greenbelt space which favoured developers who had connections to him / one of his ministers. Because no shit. He's a politician. 

Anyone surprised by this report....   is beyond stupid. lol 

He will either back track on this decision (good) .... or say he did no harm, and it goes forward and political corruptness continues (normal).  

This is the way. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:

You are bang on. Kudos. lol 

Of course he is trolling the 'right'.  If it's not Barbie, it's tweeting at Taylor Swift... and calling Freedom Convoy morons the 'fringe minority'

And the more Fox News, Tucker Carlson, Piers Morgan, etc. bash him for stuff like this... the more I actually WANT to vote for Trudeau.  Yes he's really, really, really terrible.  But I personally despise Fox News more than I despise Trudeau. And if they hate him, kinda makes me want to vote for him just to say 'fuck you' to the ignorant pieces of shit who hate him.   It's all apart of this whirlwind culture war we've been living in these past 6 years or so. 

Said it before, will say it again... he's a hypocrite, he's a doosh, he's a criminal to be honest...    but if you're a conservative, do not doubt his political savvy. 

He has and will continue to pander to the 'left' in Canada. If I wanted to win an election in Canada, I would do the same.  Those on the right, and those who hate him will cry foul and cry like babies to be honest....  but in the end, he's laughing. He's still the PM, he won 3 elections (not saying he should have or that he did it with dignity, but he won).

His primary opponent Pierre panders to the right. (see Freedom Convoy support, Jordan Peterson interview, taking an ill-advised photo with a man wearing an anti-gay shirt)   To me...  they're both playing the same dumb game.  I think that what folks ought to start understanding about Trudeau and the Liberals is that even though he's correctly awful in the minds and hearts of the right....  he represents a majority of the population of Canada (like it or not).  We are a left leaning society.... and in my opinion... I think that margin will widen the more old white people from the olden days pass away and more young immigrants become voting citizens. 

But 'Parksy...'  You ask.  'how can you be so sure?'   The proof is in the pudding (votes).  

The by-elections were about 7 weeks ago (?) and nothing changed.  Nothing. (actually.... I think I read that the Liberals actually did BETTER in the by-elections in a Manitoba riding.)  Libs kept 2 seats. Cons kept 2 seats. People on the right are 'shocked' that people still vote for him.  It's not necessarily the man... it's the political spectrum. And more importantly... it's NOT voting Conservative (Pierre). 

Pierre OBVIOUSLY has someone FINALLY telling him this... which is why he completely changed his persona. And I do mean COMPLETELY.  Once again... proof that it's not just Trudeau who is a hypocritical 'drama teacher'....   so is his opponent. 

That said... I'd be interested in seeing how those PPC types who considered voting for Pierre will feel if he continues down this path.  It's politically the correct move to make. But it also shows his right base that he has no problem changing and 'bending' to earn votes. 

I laughingly picture folks who went to his 'Ra-Ra Rallies' being like 'Wow, he really isn't what we thought he was.'   No shit. He's a politician.  

I do agree that currently our country is more left leaning, but traditionally it’s been a pendulum which should swing back the other way eventually.

One thing I struggle with more and more, as Trudeau’s (I’ll be overly kind here) missteps continue to accumulate, is if the individual voter does, in fact bear responsibility for their vote. First off, this can be applied retroactively so as not to single out one party, and it is a balancing act between the local candidate and the party they represent (personally the leader does factor in for me, I could comfortably vote for the local Liberal candidate if it wasn’t currently the Liberal Party of Justin [yes, it’s the Conservative Party of Pierre too]). I honestly can’t recall any of our governments having the number of missteps that were so plain to see at the time.

So what I’m asking or even suggesting is at what point does the individual voter basically become complicit in the missteps?

I realize Trudeau’s current term isn’t the best example since he managed to avoid his true current mandate of a minority government with the willing assistance of the NDP. In fact I’ve seen it suggested several times (not here I believe) that this arrangement be used to supplant any Conservative minority that might be elected (which strikes me as not right but really is a whole other discussion).

• Options
    Question for the group.... 

Watching these two dill holes (Ford and his Minister) try to save their own butts here... they continue to push the narrative of 'we did this because we have a housing crisis, we need more housing, people cannot afford to buy a house.' 

I get that.  Supply and demand. Right there with ya.

Now granted... I'm no economist. Nor do I know a ton about real estate. But let me take a stab at common sense here and please tell me I'm wrong if I'm wrong. 

Ford just stated that the Province is slated to see the biggest population growth in North America (!) within the next ten years.  That's more people. 

He gives land to developers to build many many houses which will make them beyond rich. 

The rationale is that this will create more supply which will drive housing costs down. 

Call me crazy,  but if you create homes at the same pace of which population is going up, how would that drive housing costs down? 

To me this is capitalist bullshit.  

I cannot WAIT to see how much these new homes will sell for. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    To your point.. everyone who votes for someone or some party is complicit, yes. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Parksy said:
    To your point.. everyone who votes for someone or some party is complicit, yes. 
    I guess what I’m moreso questioning is to what degree? And it is a secret ballot after all, which I’ll prioritize over any of these considerations.

Think I might have talked myself in a circle again and it ends up somewhere in the realm of there is responsibility but because of the secret ballot no one will be held accountable (outside of those who openly own their vote perhaps). And how exactly would we be held to account anyways? I’m also a firm believer in slippery slopes and the Law of Unintended Consequences.

I missed the Ford presser, though I’m more interested in hearing the AG’s announcement, I’ll be reading up more on this so that I can formulate a comment beyond asking for clear proof of the supposed collusion (beyond the doe and stag, lol).

• Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Time for electoral reform. I believe rep by Pop will give us a truer/closer representation of what people actually want, and you could vote for who you want, not the strategic who you want to block
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    erebus said:
    Time for electoral reform. I believe rep by Pop will give us a truer/closer representation of what people actually want, and you could vote for who you want, not the strategic who you want to block
    To this point and to what Darth is saying....   I think not only electoral reform but to a larger extent and obviously not in the close realm of possibility... but total governance reform.   Politics are gross. There is ZERO accountability. I can't speak to anything beyond North America...  but how we live and how we are governed is disgusting. 

Putting it this way... for the most part... we live in a society where those who should be held to higher standard of accountability are held to the opposite.  Police and politicians tend to get away with things that in reality should restrict them from being either a cop or a politician.  Trudeau is a good example as Darth said.  This dude is on his 9th strike (baseball analogy).   We get 3 strikes. Cops get 6 strikes. Politicians get 20 strikes. lol 

America is a solid example. Trump is the devil who abused his power endlessly.  Biden is this hero who 'defeated' Trump.  If he was such a hero, one of his top priorities should have been to permanently restrict the powers of his own office.  My goodness... the idea that a President can pardon anyone at a whim boggles the mind.  So... has he?  I don't think so.   But I digress. 

Part of it is the citizens yes... but how can you blame or hold accountable citizens when our politicians do nothing but lie and deceive to maintain power?   To what Darth was saying with regards to a degree of responsibility for whom you vote for... my personal faith is completely lost.  If it's not the Liberals doing shady shit and lying, it's the Conservatives.  It's an endless shit cycle. 

It's been said here a few times... a lot of folks find themselves voting for the lesser of two or three evils. I think that's true.  And I think that's extremely sad. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    Parksy said:
    Question for the group.... 

Watching these two dill holes (Ford and his Minister) try to save their own butts here... they continue to push the narrative of 'we did this because we have a housing crisis, we need more housing, people cannot afford to buy a house.' 

I get that.  Supply and demand. Right there with ya.

Now granted... I'm no economist. Nor do I know a ton about real estate. But let me take a stab at common sense here and please tell me I'm wrong if I'm wrong. 

Ford just stated that the Province is slated to see the biggest population growth in North America (!) within the next ten years.  That's more people. 

He gives land to developers to build many many houses which will make them beyond rich. 

The rationale is that this will create more supply which will drive housing costs down. 

Call me crazy,  but if you create homes at the same pace of which population is going up, how would that drive housing costs down? 

To me this is capitalist bullshit.  

I cannot WAIT to see how much these new homes will sell for. 

It doesn't bring down housing costs. It won't. I can see it literally in my own neighborhood. They are turning it into another one of these self-contained cities by building 20 huge high rises, all residential with retail at street level. So that adds thousands of new homes in a very short period of time... and the prices of those homes go up and up everyday, and studio apartments in the rental-dedicated ones are going for $2500/month now.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,176
    edited August 2023
    I tend to think the rate the country is building has a small dent in making it slightly less worse than it would be if we didn't do it.   As far as I know as much as we're building, it doesn't keep up the population increase, so even though we build, the gap continues to grow.   You need build a metric fucktonne to make a real dent, which is a little sad, and I'm not sure if it's achievable.

edit: Plus with how much land and building costs, there's only so low places can go or developers wouldn't bother.   They're not really going to build at a loss, or probably not even for a tiny profit.
    Post edited by Zod on