Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The CBC did not want to discuss foreign policy.

Wouldnt want to hold Trudeau accountable over the fucked up Afghanistan response…

The CBC is an arm of the liberal party being funded to the tune of 1.4 billion…lmfao

We are G7 and NATO country in the middle of a pandemic not discussing foreign policy.

I haven’t heard a word about the micheals.

if they could vote.  Would they vote for Trudeau?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Debate’s been more than halfway decent so far, but sometimes I still want to que up Yakety Sax (the Benny Hill chase music by Boots Randolph), lol.
    lol
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
    The CBC did not want to discuss foreign policy.

Wouldnt want to hold Trudeau accountable over the fucked up Afghanistan response…

The CBC is an arm of the liberal party being funded to the tune of 1.4 billion…lmfao

We are G7 and NATO country in the middle of a pandemic not discussing foreign policy.

I haven’t heard a word about the micheals.

if they could vote.  Would they vote for Trudeau?
    The reason you haven't heard a word about the Michaels is because not one of our leaders are prepared to utter a word of truth about it.. which is this: 

Canada is a small mouse caught between two giant rats (USA and China) with little to no say in the matter. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    saw the clip of trudeau slam dunking that rebel news "reporter". that was awesome. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

saw the clip of trudeau slam dunking that rebel news "reporter". that was awesome. 
    See again... I hate liking Trudeau... but this makes me like him.  

And O'Toole will capitalize on this as him 'dividing the country' but I view it as actual, honest truth.  I take a couple looks at these organizations like Rebel News and True North and I'm like.. ok this isn't journalism... this is propaganda and fear mongering. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Parksy said:
    See again... I hate liking Trudeau... but this makes me like him.  

And O'Toole will capitalize on this as him 'dividing the country' but I view it as actual, honest truth.  I take a couple looks at these organizations like Rebel News and True North and I'm like.. ok this isn't journalism... this is propaganda and fear mongering. 
    and some will equate this even further with trumpism and his war on the media, which in and of itself, is patently absurd. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

what is that about canadian media liberal bias again?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303

What? The CBC hasn't endorsed the Liberals? I was told they are the Liberals propaganda arm?
    dignin said:

What? The CBC hasn't endorsed the Liberals? I was told they are the Liberals propaganda arm?
    The chart must be fake news. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I would suggest that the article that Darth fellow put is evidence of bias in CBC media.  Is that an overall CBC bias.. or bias on the person writing the story? 

Even more so...  I read/watch CBC news...  they have run plenty of stories critical of Trudeau and stories about his scandals.  Completely biased media would never do that.  Fox for example protected the shit out of Trump. 

Also regarding media bias...  the way in which some media outlets.. Toronto Sun for example go extremely far to paint liberals and Trudeau in a negative light is disturbing. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Parksy said:
    I would suggest that the article that Darth fellow put is evidence of bias in CBC media.  Is that an overall CBC bias.. or bias on the person writing the story? 

Even more so...  I read/watch CBC news...  they have run plenty of stories critical of Trudeau and stories about his scandals.  Completely biased media would never do that.  Fox for example protected the shit out of Trump. 

Also regarding media bias...  the way in which some media outlets.. Toronto Sun for example go extremely far to paint liberals and Trudeau in a negative light is disturbing. 
    if anything, the female anchor on CTV that night (Lisa Laflamme) actually shouted "thank god" or some shit when they called it for Trudeau. i couldn't believe she did that knowing she was on air. But I honestly don't see any type of partisanship from CBC. 

I don't know why cons are so obsessed with defunding CBC. cause they don't like facts?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    dignin said:

I’m not sure about giving credit when someone does what they’re supposed to do, but I will acknowledge that in not endorsing the Liberals the CBC is really just doing their job. The state-funded broadcaster should never endorse any party. When tax dollars are your main source of funding, you really need to be Dragnet, “just the facts, ma’am, just the facts.”

When it comes to privately owned media companies, while I may not agree with their bias, it is their right. It would be nice if everyone was up front about their biases, but it falls on the individual to be media savvy.

I’m genuinely curious (and I ask with zero judgment, as we all have different priorities and needs) how many watched the full debate last night (I did step out for a bit for a puff but otherwise watched it live), and how many are planning to watch the full debate tonight?

Tonight I’ll be recording the debate to watch either when I get home or tomorrow “morning” (I’m a late riser, lol).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    dignin said:

I’m not sure about giving credit when someone does what they’re supposed to do, but I will acknowledge that in not endorsing the Liberals the CBC is really just doing their job. The state-funded broadcaster should never endorse any party. When tax dollars are your main source of funding, you really need to be Dragnet, “just the facts, ma’am, just the facts.”

When it comes to privately owned media companies, while I may not agree with their bias, it is their right. It would be nice if everyone was up front about their biases, but it falls on the individual to be media savvy.

I’m genuinely curious (and I ask with zero judgment, as we all have different priorities and needs) how many watched the full debate last night (I did step out for a bit for a puff but otherwise watched it live), and how many are planning to watch the full debate tonight?

Tonight I’ll be recording the debate to watch either when I get home or tomorrow “morning” (I’m a late riser, lol).
    Absolutely. and that's how I view the CBC as a whole. not the "liberal's propaganda arm". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dignin said:

I might get flamed for this... but it should never, ever, ever be their "right" to be biased. 

I don't give two %^&s who owns Fox.  If they call themselves "news"  or   "reporting"   or  "journalists"  that should never be biased... ever. If they call themselves something else like say... "Clown Hour, with Tucker Carlson" then sure.. say what you want. 

Peddling fear, bias, and having quite the hidden agenda is seriously damaging to society.  And I'm not just talking about Fox here... CNN and MSNBC.   Tucker Carlson and Rachel Maddow both need to piss off.  

I honestly think the same way entertainment shows come with viewer discretion advisories... these shows need that too.. BADLY. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Parksy said:
    dignin said:

I might get flamed for this... but it should never, ever, ever be their "right" to be biased. 

I don't give two %^&s who owns Fox.  If they call themselves "news"  or   "reporting"   or  "journalists"  that should never be biased... ever. If they call themselves something else like say... "Clown Hour, with Tucker Carlson" then sure.. say what you want. 

Peddling fear, bias, and having quite the hidden agenda is seriously damaging to society.  And I'm not just talking about Fox here... CNN and MSNBC.   Tucker Carlson and Rachel Maddow both need to piss off.  

I honestly think the same way entertainment shows come with viewer discretion advisories... these shows need that too.. BADLY. 
    really? you don't think a private company can say whatever it wants on national tv? i mean, we're SUPPOSED to be intelligent enough to know that any news entity that is "owned" is likely to be biased. 

all these companies are doing is making money off of fear and/or ignorance of the general populace, which isn't unlike what every other company on planet earth does on a daily basis. mcdonald's doesn't cause people to go shoot up a mexican restaurant, sure, they are causing their own issues in society, but they are still allowed to.

should we outlaw mcdonald's? or make them drop "restaurant" from their name?

it's marketing to anger. it's making entertainment and calling it information. 

the simpsons has become reality, in that every second or third person watching tv is a complete and utter buffoon. ironic that show is on fox. 

if society demands something better, we'll get something better. until then, these companies are free to say what they want. otherwise we start living in a fascist or police state. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Parksy said:
    dignin said:

I can’t see why you’d get flamed for saying what you did (different from disagreeing, obviously).

In an ideal world I would agree with you and part of the problem (as I see it) is a blurring of lines between reporting and opinion/analysis, part of the media savvyness I referenced above. For example, Tucker is all opinion from what I understand, and he’s pretty much free to express those (agree or disagree, he has the right in my opinion). Now, what I’ve seen of Fox’s news coverage (not the local Fox affiliates) editorializes the news, not dissimilar to other networks.

Still waiting for CBC to further report on the confirmed investigation into the Liberal candidate, as opposed to the long diatribe insinuating misdeeds by the Conservatives. I don’t have much faith it will happen but wait to be pleasantly surprised, lol.

Parksy said:
    dignin said:

really? you don't think a private company can say whatever it wants on national tv? i mean, we're SUPPOSED to be intelligent enough to know that any news entity that is "owned" is likely to be biased. 

all these companies are doing is making money off of fear and/or ignorance of the general populace, which isn't unlike what every other company on planet earth does on a daily basis. mcdonald's doesn't cause people to go shoot up a mexican restaurant, sure, they are causing their own issues in society, but they are still allowed to.

the simpsons has become reality, in that every second or third person watching tv is a complete and utter buffoon. ironic that show is on fox. 

if society demands something better, we'll get something better. until then, these companies are free to say what they want. otherwise we start living in a fascist or police state. 
    So here's my question then... because you hit a lot of nails on the head here :) 

I agree that we're supposed to be smart enough to understand things but we are clearly, clearly not. 

The vaccine issue right now is a great example. 

At what point then do you say because we value our freedoms so much.. we allow ourselves to basically die off because of stupidity?

I mean it says it right in our charter, section one.  While all freedoms are guarantees, they are subject to limitations. Well what dictates the levels of such limitations? 

I've come to learn that because we're so dumb... we as a while need supervision. I know that's not a popular belief because no one likes to be told what to do.  But we've been told what to do from day one. 

Smoking is a fine example I think.  There was a time where people could basically smoke cigarettes wherever they wanted. As we learned about the harmful effects, we didn't as a society of people make the changes in the name of safety. Our government did. From smoking sections, to taxes, to smoke free environments. 

I could be misunderstanding you, but it's almost like you're view is that people should just regulate themselves (free society). The smokers should have realized what they were doing and for the benefit of others, policed themselves to not harm other people. That has never and will never work... because we suck.  We're self-centred assholes.  "It falls on the individual" will only lead to chaos. 

Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    Parksy said:
    Parksy said:
    dignin said:

So here's my question then... because you hit a lot of nails on the head here :) 

I agree that we're supposed to be smart enough to understand things but we are clearly, clearly not. 

The vaccine issue right now is a great example. 

At what point then do you say because we value our freedoms so much.. we allow ourselves to basically die off because of stupidity?

I mean it says it right in our charter, section one.  While all freedoms are guarantees, they are subject to limitations. Well what dictates the levels of such limitations? 

I've come to learn that because we're so dumb... we as a while need supervision. I know that's not a popular belief because no one likes to be told what to do.  But we've been told what to do from day one. 

Smoking is a fine example I think.  There was a time where people could basically smoke cigarettes wherever they wanted. As we learned about the harmful effects, we didn't as a society of people make the changes in the name of safety. Our government did. From smoking sections, to taxes, to smoke free environments. 

I could be misunderstanding you, but it's almost like you're view is that people should just regulate themselves (free society). The smokers should have realized what they were doing and for the benefit of others, policed themselves to not harm other people. That has never and will never work... because we suck.  We're self-centred assholes.  "It falls on the individual" will only lead to chaos. 

no, i'm about as far from libertarian as one can get. I'm not big government, but I do know that government plays a big role in saving some of us from ourselves. 

smoking is a great example of how dumb society is, but I don't think it can be compared to being able to speak freely on tv if you've paid for the time. if you start regulating that, the slippery slope comes into effect.

I think there will come a time when the general populace has had enough of shit like tucker, but it will be a long, long road to hell before that actually happens. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

How bout' this, try harder.  But it's an election that should have never been called and was only a call to satisfy the racist, misogynist, narcissistic ego...and of course, a nice side effect is making it hard for people to vote.

Election-day polling stations cut by more than half in 11 Greater Toronto Area ridings | CBC News

Eleven GTA ridings will see fewer than half the number of polling stations open on election day this year than they did in 2019, Elections Canada told CBC News, citing difficulties accessing polling sites with room to physically distance.

Give Peas A Chance…

‘In that moment, I knew he wanted me to lie.’ Jody Wilson-Raybould recalls a tension-filled meeting with Justin Trudeau
    Give Peas A Chance…

‘In that moment, I knew he wanted me to lie.’ Jody Wilson-Raybould recalls a tension-filled meeting with Justin Trudeau
    The entire article is quite informative, I only hope it gets the attention it deserves. Unsurprisingly, no comments seem to be allowed on the article, lol.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jody-wilson-raybould-trudeau-1.6172488

Breaking news.  Trudeau says “he feels safer now that the police have taken down this dangerous pebble tosser..”  Trudeau went onto say “Canada needs a pebble registry or a complete ban on pebbles.”  

Then Trudeau mused and wondered how is pebble rubble is doing these days…

Give Peas A Chance…
    Has an arrest been made for Bernier egg thrower?

I had pebbles tossed at me when I was a kid.  I must have felt things differently.  

Give Peas A Chance…
    https://globalnews.ca/news/8183597/justin-trudeau-jody-wilson-raybould-revenge/

COMMENTARY: Trudeau deserved Jody Wilson-Raybould’s revenge

Give Peas A Chance…
    https://globalnews.ca/news/8183597/justin-trudeau-jody-wilson-raybould-revenge/

COMMENTARY: Trudeau deserved Jody Wilson-Raybould’s revenge

Interesting read, thanks, very telling that the (quoted) Prime Minister’s website essentially says ultimate authority for legal decisions lie not with the AG but with Cabinet. For those of us who believe in the rule of law that is patently false.

Finally finished the English “debate” last night, can I get my 2 hours back? The format was a joke, in my opinion. I liked Blanchet’s tactic with Rebel media, “I don’t answer questions from Rebel media.” I haven’t seen Trudeau “own” the Rebel reporter yet. I also liked (I believe it was) Andrew Coyne’s observation that Trudeau seemed over-caffeinated.

Newest numbers from the PBO:

Con - 31
    NDP - 17
    Lib - 11

And just to be clear, I don’t trust ANY party’s internal costing.

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    Am I only the only one that doesn't care that the government tried to give a Canadian company a pass on bribing officials in a 3rd world country?

I kind of just thought that was how business was done in less developed countries.   The whole thing, with all the press, I dunno, I never really cared about any of it..    Maybe it's just me?  Does the media bringing it up over and over again really do that much?
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Gun control is my non-issue
    yes, it’s important, but probably like 25th on my list
    Canada is relatively smart about guns but the Libs are trying to make it a wedge issue. 
    Won’t sway my vote one way or the other 
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II