Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Uh-oh, I thought he was the Greatest Canadian Ever?

This historical relativism is really going too far (and has been for a while in my opinion), but when will we address PET’s First Nations legacy (along with the beloved Chretien)?

https://torontosun.com/news/national/ndp-founder-tommy-douglas-under-review-as-national-historic-figure

(I realize this would fit just as well in the cancelled thread.)
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,676
    And about the convoy... :rofl: ...he said he supports the rights of all, but those rights end at the rights of others. the convoy did that. and seriously. fuck the convoy. no one cares. I'm not even going to get back into that discussion. aren't those losers still bitching about their freedoms?
    This is an honest question (maybe not just for you but the wider group as well).

When does your (the) greater good make room for my (the) individuals’ rights? I don’t mean this as a covid-specific question though it may prove to be the easiest example to use given it’s one we’ve all lived through.

Clearly I have a fairly high threshold for individual rights to be overridden but in all honesty I’m not entirely sure what my specific standards are beyond lives being on the line, which leads to different scenarios probably presenting different standards. I’ll certainly be mulling this over some more.

As an aside I have to say I’m starting to regret owning my bias against Trudeau given how it’s since been used to dismiss me. Something that I should stress is that, for me, being aware of that bias has actually allowed me to watch him more objectively. It’s my analysis that becomes heated more often than not.
    The question can't entirely be answered.. certainly by me lol.    I refer to Section 1 of the Charter. And I personally believe it was put in as Number Uno for a very important reason. I'll get to that:

Section 1: The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

Now... scholars and legal analysts have for years and will continue to do so... argue about what in the sweet fuck constitutes "reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society." 

For me.. the key focus is "free and democratic society."  As a society we are constantly evolving and changing. As both a citizenship and government... we have lived and will continue to live through 'trial and error.'  

I believe for the most part that our laws and customs constantly lean towards two 'slogans' if you will... but in that order:

1. Life
    2. Liberty
    3. Pursuit of Happiness

The other slogan in my line of work as well as crisis management / life safety goes as follows: (The 3 Ps)

1. People
    2. Property
    3. Profits

It's vague, but in general I think our laws and the extent of our freedoms begins with life. If it risks Life, it's not worth Liberty and Happiness. If it risks Liberty, it's not worth Happiness. 

Personally I think our fore-fathers dropped the ball big time with the notion of freedom at all. I can't speak to a LOT of other countries... but in Canada, no one is free.  Our individual freedoms are almost not existent... and for the most part, it's due to the notion of 'greater good for all.' 

The COVID thing was a fantastic example... and barring motives etc. I think our government set a pretty decent example of how to move forward and somewhat answer this question of individual freedoms. (this is already getting long winded but let me elaborate) 

COVID happens and it risks health and life. 

The general field of medical professionals set out how governments should proceed with regards to protecting health and life. Restricting movement and gathering being the big ones... which is also the harshest removal of freedoms I've experienced in my lifetime. 

The government debates how to process and proceed with that advice. They begin enacting laws. 

The craziness ensues amongst society. 

The government calls for an election so that the people (democratically) can choose how to move forward. 

Election happens... Freedom Convoy happens. 

That stretch of about 5-6 months is to me quite important when it comes to this stuff. And it relates back to the Trudeau / Muslim video above.  Protecting the rights and freedoms for 'ALL' is in many ways completely impossible. How we answer these questions and move forward is through elections.  The big issue nowadays is coming to terms and dealing with essentially the losing side (Freedom Convoy). 

It's a fascinating thing to look at it perhaps from the other point of view. Like a 'bizzarro' world if you will. I had a cousin who essentially came out and said "who cares about the old people, it's a sacrifice that should be made for the greater good"  (every time it reminds me of Lord Farquad from Shrek..."Some of you.... may die. But it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make." lol)  But let's say majority of people in Canada felt the same way......    if free and democratic society is truly the driver of our laws and freedoms.... then the people and the electorate from my perspective presently do have the ability to change the order to:

1. Liberty
    2. Pursuit of Happiness
    3. Life 

What makes that 'reasonable limit' thing so important to me is that it reflects how society is and will change. And I truly believe that it is our democracy that drive's that change. And things will and have gone back and forth. Helmet rules are a good example.  Safety vs. Religious freedoms. That example alone proves that nothing regarding our laws and freedoms are 'forever.'  The ebbs and flows come and go... and with them comes the debate and approval/disapproval by both citizens and politicians. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Will the concept of ministerial responsibility finally take hold with this group? Not holding my breath since the days of the unacceptable $16 OJ (Trudeau called for her resignation over that, he even started a petition) have made way for $6,000/night hotel suites (I wonder how much Trudeau’s OJ cost? Who’s kidding who, at that price it better damn well be included!).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-cabinet-shuffle-meetings-1.6915672

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Trudeau is back on the market, ladies. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Trudeau is back on the market, ladies. 
    Top story across the country (until DT’s arraignment of course, maybe that’s why this story dropped today), but if you enter public life then your life is ipso facto public. But they want their space, how adorable. (Btw, is announcing that Justin is once again an eligible bachelor (ignoring the more salacious implications) a proper way to give them the space they’ve asked for?)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-gregoire-separation-1.6925254

This is just asinine how Toronto’s CP24 has dropped all other news for this cud.

• Options
    I just found it interesting. it's a pretty big deal when a world leader has a marriage fall apart while still in office, whether you consider him a "cud" or not. Most try to wait until they leave office (unless there's something he's trying to overshadow, which is I'm sure what his haters will theorize). 

I would hate to be a public figure because of attitudes such as that. "how adorable"? They don't owe me anything. they don't owe anyone anything. it's absurd (and kind of disturbing to me) when people think they are somehow entitled to the details of someone's private life. 

mentioning it in this fashion on a band's message board is hardly going against their wishes of space. I didn't reveal or demand any info. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I just found it interesting. it's a pretty big deal when a world leader has a marriage fall apart while still in office, whether you consider him a "cud" or not. Most try to wait until they leave office (unless there's something he's trying to overshadow, which is I'm sure what his haters will theorize). 

I would hate to be a public figure because of attitudes such as that. "how adorable"? They don't owe me anything. they don't owe anyone anything. it's absurd (and kind of disturbing to me) when people think they are somehow entitled to the details of someone's private life. 

mentioning it in this fashion on a band's message board is hardly going against their wishes of space. I didn't reveal or demand any info. 
    I wasn’t referring to him as cud, I was calling the news coverage of this cud, which as far as I recall refers to the upchuck cows are constantly chewing. But assume what you will, lol.

Edit:  

Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• Options

Just to be crystal fucking clear about it, if I am shitting on anyone it’s the media for giving this story so much focus and us the media consumers for gobbling up the bullshit. The fact it involves the man I hate (and can therefore have zero real perspective on him) is entirely secondary.

And you and I will clearly never agree that once someone chooses (there is a huge distinction for me when that word comes into play) the arena (because it’s not a fucking playground) of public life one is accepting that much, if not most or all of one’s life is now public fodder, especially in today’s celebrity- and scandal-obsessed environment. I wasn’t saying anyone owes anyone else anything, just remarking on the world we have all created. No offence but your own initial comment pretty well illustrates that, in fact part of why I replied at all was to post a link so that people could maybe understand what you meant.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    It's always a bit sad to see a marriage break up, especially when there are kids.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's always a bit sad to see a marriage break up, especially when there are kids.
    Completely agree. I might even add in the words “more than” after “It’s always”.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Completely agree. I might even add in the words “more than” after “It’s always”.

Well, I can never forget that marriages break up for good reasons, so in the end it's always the best decision and the best plan forward. So I don't get overly sad, lol. Just a bit.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well, I can never forget that marriages break up for good reasons, so in the end it's always the best decision and the best plan forward. So I don't get overly sad, lol. Just a bit.
    You’re unfortunately right there as well (not knocking you obviously, just another sad acknowledgment of the world).

• Options
    And I still maintain that it’s absurd that 20 out 30 minutes of my local news is still occupied by this pap (the other word I’d thought of using instead of cud but didn’t because I thought it had a whole other meaning but it does fit, lol). Thankfully the only other things happening in the centre of Canada today are a pilot project starts today that allows alcohol consumption and there’s a job fair at the CNE.

This is just as newsworthy and breaking as the PM’s separation from his wife. (I wonder what it’s going to do when I set up the sprinkler underneath it to water the garden, lol. I’ll inform inquiring minds in 45 minutes or so, lol.)

• Options

Just to be crystal fucking clear about it, if I am shitting on anyone it’s the media for giving this story so much focus and us the media consumers for gobbling up the bullshit. The fact it involves the man I hate (and can therefore have zero real perspective on him) is entirely secondary.

And you and I will clearly never agree that once someone chooses (there is a huge distinction for me when that word comes into play) the arena (because it’s not a fucking playground) of public life one is accepting that much, if not most or all of one’s life is now public fodder, especially in today’s celebrity- and scandal-obsessed environment. I wasn’t saying anyone owes anyone else anything, just remarking on the world we have all created. No offence but your own initial comment pretty well illustrates that, in fact part of why I replied at all was to post a link so that people could maybe understand what you meant.
    man, one sarcastic comment about a world leader that many simple minded people fawn over being single again begets this. 

so you're foaming at the mouth about how it's dominating the news right now, but you only replied because people might not know what I was talking about? haha
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I will never disagree that public obsession with celebrity one of the  great scourges of our current existence. But you can't posit that someone can't expect any level of privacy/dignity and in the same breath claim that doesn't mean they are entitled to it. it's the same thing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

man, one sarcastic comment about a world leader that many simple minded people fawn over being single again begets this. 

so you're foaming at the mouth about how it's dominating the news right now, but you only replied because people might not know what I was talking about? haha
    Again, many assumptions there, and who did you just call simple-minded? Combined with the brain dead truckers that’s a lot of looking down on your fellow citizens. Or am I now being anti-simple-minded people by diminishing them? More Monty Python as reality, yay.

You actually think I’m foaming at the mouth over this?  To quote you, “haha”. As I said in another post, it’s absurd and I’ll add a nuisance. The only other thing it is is further proof of what I’ll call a downslide in our society, but we don’t need any more proof.

Next time just post a link with your sarcastic comment and save everyone some hassle, thanks in advance. And I still say your sarcastic comment actually flies in the face of the statement issued by the family but again you and I have different standards, which I always figure should be fine as long as they’re acknowledged.

• Options
    I think the look on its face says it all, lol.

• Options
    “…she kept him in check…” was just quoted, if this has been Justin under control, what the fuck kind of ride are we in for now?!? Buckle Up!!!

Seriously, there’s so many potential jokes that Justin himself has written for us and again, as far as I’m concerned it’s part of the price of public life. Or are we supposed to do differently than we did with Donald and Melania, and if so, why?

• Options
    Awww. Raccoons are so cute (when they aren't tearing up your garbage or killing your cat... I have neither of those problems with them, so love them!).
  • Options
    “…she kept him in check…” was just quoted, if this has been Justin under control, what the fuck kind of ride are we in for now?!? Buckle Up!!!

Seriously, there’s so many potential jokes that Justin himself has written for us and again, as far as I’m concerned it’s part of the price of public life. Or are we supposed to do differently than we did with Donald and Melania, and if so, why?

I never found anything joke-worthy about the Trudeau marriage at all, and certainly not about his wife. That is just objectively not the case with Trump and Melania.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I never found anything joke-worthy about the Trudeau marriage at all, and certainly not about his wife. That is just objectively not the case with Trump and Melania.
    So no jokes then?

In fairness there’s been rumours surrounding the Trudeaus for several years now but it’s quietly stuck to the comment sections instead of being reported on. Probably because, just like Melania not holding Donald’s hand a couple times it’s nothing more than salacious distraction. And I still maintain that viewed truly objectively there are far more similarities between the two Ts once gets beyond the bullshit each spews and any partisanship.

• Options
    I think most people assumed they weren't exactly doing great, because she is never around like she used to be. I think that nobody really cares, that's all. *shrug* It is news, but not crazy news. Of course it's being reported, but I don't think it's salacious, nor a distraction. This isn't the media reporting on a hand gesture. There was an official statement released by the couple. I think you're making way too much of this. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think most people assumed they weren't exactly doing great, because she is never around like she used to be. I think that nobody really cares, that's all. *shrug* It is news, but not crazy news. Of course it's being reported, but I don't think it's salacious, nor a distraction. This isn't the media reporting on a hand gesture. There was an official statement released by the couple. I think you're making way too much of this. 
    Well, the way the coverage has gone/is going has been comical compared to the rough ride others have been subjected to, but personally I’m not surprised since I believe that Justin receives problematically compliant coverage from many media outlets so par for the course when it comes to that.  As you (sort of) point out, the Trudeaus never saw the degree of microanalysis that the Trumps did.

Awwww, isn’t that cute, they just played a clip of the couple performing a sketch mocking the Kokanee Grope!

And the happily separated are vacationing together with their kids next week, how progressive, sheesh!

I’ll give her some credit for this, CTV just mentioned that Sophie will be moving out and subsequently will be paying her own expenses. Not sure what Justin’s mom did back in the day.

• Options
    I will never disagree that public obsession with celebrity one of the  great scourges of our current existence. But you can't posit that someone can't expect any level of privacy/dignity and in the same breath claim that doesn't mean they are entitled to it. it's the same thing. 
    I apologize, I missed this post and am glad we can agree on one point, but (and again I apologize) I can’t really figure out your second sentence there though I might be reading that I’ve been misunderstood or something again. I don’t want to attempt any further clarification until I fully understand what you’re saying.

• Options
    I’d have to turn in my imaginary official cynics club card if it wasn’t noted that the news of the separation dropped on the day after Justin wrapped up his summer campaign (which PP was bashed here for doing) and spent today in his favourite activity, private meetings, with the same on his agenda for tomorrow. I’m guessing Friday will be personal so that he can beat the long weekend traffic out of Ottawa with the jet.

The cynic in me also has to note how the children are being played up as a reason to be respectful in this case by many in the media. In all honesty, that coupled with the progressive family vacation next week could easily lead one to conclude that the children are being used as a shield for the parents (I mean the youngest is named after a guy best known for building a wall, and that’s all I will ever say about Justin’s children). Or one could conclude the opposite, just like with the Emergency Measures Act Inquiry’s findings, lol. When is Justin’s next scheduled media availability, seriously?

I want to say it’s clear that we’re all being played on this but I can’t because I wasn’t in the room when it was decided when this announcement would be made.

And remember, there is no B3 bomber, lol.

• Options

Again, many assumptions there, and who did you just call simple-minded? Combined with the brain dead truckers that’s a lot of looking down on your fellow citizens. Or am I now being anti-simple-minded people by diminishing them? More Monty Python as reality, yay.

You actually think I’m foaming at the mouth over this?  To quote you, “haha”. As I said in another post, it’s absurd and I’ll add a nuisance. The only other thing it is is further proof of what I’ll call a downslide in our society, but we don’t need any more proof.

Next time just post a link with your sarcastic comment and save everyone some hassle, thanks in advance. And I still say your sarcastic comment actually flies in the face of the statement issued by the family but again you and I have different standards, which I always figure should be fine as long as they’re acknowledged.
    good lord, now you're telling me how/what to post. JFC
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    bingo
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    bingo
    If they didn’t want anyone to make a big deal out of this they could have quietly filed the legal paperwork and when the story broke they could have simply refused comment due to it being a personal matter. I could have respected that, instead of the royal pronouncement we received followed by fawning media coverage (to be fair, I don’t know how the media portrayed this outside of the progressive mecca of Toronto).

So, in short, don’t blame me, blame the publicity whores who made the story into a big deal (but are now conveniently hiding themselves away). As I said last night, I truly believe we’re all being played on this.

Btw, while I did it rudely, I’m not telling you how to post, but offering some constructive criticism (and I’ll apologize for my tone with that observation).

• Options
    I apologize, I missed this post and am glad we can agree on one point, but (and again I apologize) I can’t really figure out your second sentence there though I might be reading that I’ve been misunderstood or something again. I don’t want to attempt any further clarification until I fully understand what you’re saying.
    I’m going to take a stab at this. I think you’re saying that, from your perspective, I’m advancing contradictory ideas, however I don’t see it that way.

I’m shitting on the media and the public for focusing on this story to the extent they have.

I’m also shitting on the Trudeaus for putting this story out in such a public manner then asking us to respect their privacy. It seems like they want to have their cake and eat it too.

While it might seem that these two thoughts cancel each other out, I believe if one takes a moment then they’ll see the two ideas are not, in fact in opposition but rather run in tandem.

• Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,676

I remember last year...  top trending story on Yahoo was the Johnny Depp trial. 

Second... approximately 80% less viewers...  was Putin threatening nuclear war against the west. 

The media are only somewhat to blame ... to your point, it's the consumers who demand or at least pay a lot more attention to that stuff that are the problem. 

More people wanting to know about Trudeau's break up rather than his policies is at the heart of most of our societal problems (IMO) 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx