The Joe Rogan Thread

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mickeyrat said:
    CM189191 said:
    Joe Rogan is a moron

If you get your medical advice from Joe Rogan, you are a moron
    Sorry... felt the need to edit. 
    Nailed it. How a stand up comedian and podcaster becomes an authority on anything except bad jokes and filling time with talk about whatever drifts into his mind is beyond me. 
    People listening to celebrities isn't new. hell, how many people listen to Ed's ramblings about politics? and how many of those people agree with Ed because he's Ed?

Rogan seems to have been able to cross the line between just 'regular dumb celebrity' because he does host a lot of intellectuals on his show, and he seems to have a good grasp on many of the subjects they talk about, so I think that gives him credence to his viewers that if he can hold his own with an intellectual, then maybe he does know what he's talking about with public health. 

of course, i think that just shows he's got a really good producer who knows how to research and prepare rogan for each guest. But I could see how it could be convincing to an average stoner. 

when called out though he claims "I'm just an idiot dumb comedian. you shouldnt listen to me"
    yeah, I know, that's the part that bothers me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    mickeyrat said:
    CM189191 said:
    Joe Rogan is a moron

Nailed it. How a stand up comedian and podcaster becomes an authority on anything except bad jokes and filling time with talk about whatever drifts into his mind is beyond me. 
    People listening to celebrities isn't new. hell, how many people listen to Ed's ramblings about politics? and how many of those people agree with Ed because he's Ed?

Rogan seems to have been able to cross the line between just 'regular dumb celebrity' because he does host a lot of intellectuals on his show, and he seems to have a good grasp on many of the subjects they talk about, so I think that gives him credence to his viewers that if he can hold his own with an intellectual, then maybe he does know what he's talking about with public health. 

of course, i think that just shows he's got a really good producer who knows how to research and prepare rogan for each guest. But I could see how it could be convincing to an average stoner. 

when called out though he claims "I'm just an idiot dumb comedian. you shouldnt listen to me"

had been backing of him since about 4 months in to pandemic? then before the total shift to spotify, I took his suggestion...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    CM189191 said:
    Joe Rogan is a moron

had been backing of him since about 4 months in to pandemic? then before the total shift to spotify, I took his suggestion...
    yeah, I stopped watching him when he was starting to have on guests that I disagreed with giving a platform to. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• The sad thing is that Rogan is actually a pretty good interviewer. He just rarely has anyone on that I'm interested in. His interviews with Josh Homme and James Hetfield were great. The Bernie Sanders one was good too. But I don't give a crap about MMA or much else of what he brings to the table. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    CM189191 said:
    Joe Rogan is a moron

But has he ever claimed to be an authority on anything?  I listen to his podcast occasionally depending on the guests and I definitely don't agree with his stance on vaccines but it's crazy how people get all up in arms about things he says on his own podcast!  The dude gives his opinions on his own show and people lose their minds.  It's wild.
    The sad thing is that Rogan is actually a pretty good interviewer. He just rarely has anyone on that I'm interested in. His interviews with Josh Homme and James Hetfield were great. The Bernie Sanders one was good too. But I don't give a crap about MMA or much else of what he brings to the table. 
    I should watch the James Hetfield one. I watched the Homme one and I found it really uncomfortable to watch. I just didn't identify with Josh's sense of humour. It was like has a super nervous kid on a first date. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

CM189191 said:
    Joe Rogan is a moron

But has he ever claimed to be an authority on anything?  I listen to his podcast occasionally depending on the guests and I definitely don't agree with his stance on vaccines but it's crazy how people get all up in arms about things he says on his own podcast!  The dude gives his opinions on his own show and people lose their minds.  It's wild.
    no, he hasn't, but it's hard to know where to draw the line, isn't? I mean, he knows how many people are listening/watching. at what point does societal responsibility to know the facts kick in? literally millions of people listen to him. he claims he's just a dumbass in his basement riffing with friends and people that interest him, but at some point, shouldn't he acknowledge his own influence? maybe even a disclaimer at the beginning of each show:

"look, I have opinions, but I'm not a doctor or any kind of expert on anything but MMA. and I'm probably stoned. this is for entertainment purposes only". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• The sad thing is that Rogan is actually a pretty good interviewer. He just rarely has anyone on that I'm interested in. His interviews with Josh Homme and James Hetfield were great. The Bernie Sanders one was good too. But I don't give a crap about MMA or much else of what he brings to the table. 
    I should watch the James Hetfield one. I watched the Homme one and I found it really uncomfortable to watch. I just didn't identify with Josh's sense of humour. It was like has a super nervous kid on a first date. 
    Hetfield gets into a lot of interesting things. Like the Napster thing, and how much things have changed in California over the years (not for the better in his opinion)
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    The sad thing is that Rogan is actually a pretty good interviewer. He just rarely has anyone on that I'm interested in. His interviews with Josh Homme and James Hetfield were great. The Bernie Sanders one was good too. But I don't give a crap about MMA or much else of what he brings to the table. 

He's a great interviewer because he's stupid and has a lot of questions about how the world works

Those interviews you mention were great because of the interviewee, not Rogan
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    A disclaimer for a comedian with a podcast? Doesn’t seem like his style (and I think it’s pandering to idiots).
    CM189191 said:

He's a great interviewer because he's stupid and has a lot of questions about how the world works

Questioning how the world - or life - works is not tantamount to stupidity.

To me, stupidity is not questioning anything. Seems fruitless. 
    hedonist said:
    CM189191 said:

meh, whatever you want to call it
    stupid
    willfully ignorant
    uneducated
    chaos agent
    whatever
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    hedonist said:
    A disclaimer for a comedian with a podcast? Doesn’t seem like his style (and I think it’s pandering to idiots).
    it's definitely not his style, you're right. he obviously doesn't seem to think people should take him seriously, even though he's had political figures on in the past. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

hedonist said:

fast food coffee needs a disclaimer that its hot.

prep h needs a warning label to not take orally

plug in electrical device (hair dryers and the like) have a warning to not use in the tub

Am very curious to know just how many times he's used the now overused excuse of "I'm just a dumb comedian" or " I'm just a stupid monkey" etc.. in order to walk back some statement on the podcast.

why dont chu pull that up Jamie...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited September 2021
    CM189191 said:
    hedonist said:
    CM189191 said:

stupid
    willfully ignorant
    uneducated
    chaos agent
    whatever
    this reads like a post by someone who's never watched his show and only judges by the controversies that are reported on. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

CM189191 said:
    hedonist said:
    CM189191 said:

stupid
    willfully ignorant
    uneducated
    chaos agent
    whatever
    this reads like a post by someone who's never watched his show and only judges by the controversies that are reported on. 
    correct

I don't need to watch Rogan's show to know he's a moron
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    hedonist said:
    CM189191 said:

stupid
    willfully ignorant
    uneducated
    chaos agent
    whatever
    correct

I don't need to watch Rogan's show to know he's a moron
    Yup. The evidence is pretty clear.
    well, as someone who used to watch his show, I can tell you it's not that simple. that's what kind of makes him a bit of a confusing character to me. 

if all I went by was the controversies, sure, I'd probably agree with you. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Rogan has had some amazing interviews on there and isn't for just idiots.  He's had Andrew Yang, Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Elon Musk to name a few.  I really did like these interviews.

He is also a proponent of HGH, TRT and IV Hydration therapy also stem cell research. 

well, as someone who used to watch his show, I can tell you it's not that simple. that's what kind of makes him a bit of a confusing character to me. 

spoiler alert: Alex Trebek didn't know all the answers on Jeopardy, and Vanna White is notoriously bad at spelling 

It takes a whole team of people to produce a show

Rogan only has one person to blame for the controversies that surround him: himself

CM189191 said:

spoiler alert: Alex Trebek didn't know all the answers on Jeopardy, and Vanna White is notoriously bad at spelling 

It takes a whole team of people to produce a show

Rogan only has one person to blame for the controversies that surround him: himself

this makes no sense in the current context. who said anything about it being the fault of one of his team?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I haven’t seen him address “controversies” but once or twice. Those are
    brought about by others. 

I get that some detest him; I’m not looking to change anyone’s mind. The opinions of others has never meant less to me (not directed toward you, personally; rather, to those who’ve made up their minds based solely on headlines or uninformed declarations).
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    News Radio was a criminally underrated sitcom.

If not for this thread, I would know nothing about what Joe Rogan has done since.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    News Radio was a criminally underrated sitcom.

If not for this thread, I would know nothing about what Joe Rogan has done since.
    it's interesting you say that, since I'm on twitter, and whenever he's trending, I see loads of people commenting "who's joe rogan? the news radio guy? he's still around?". I don't know how someone can be simultaneously super famous and yet unknown, especially people who are actively online. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    'a comedian'

a terrible comedian.  His stand up is painful
    Smellyman said:
    'a comedian'

I don’t really like his stand-up, but it’s all subjective.

Different strokes. 
    Smellyman said:
    'a comedian'

i'd definitely agree with that. however, I saw him in vegas, and we really enjoyed that. But all of the stuff I've seen on netflix hasn't garnered even so much as a snicker. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Ivermectin?  Really Joe?  That’s just crazy…maybe at least he’s worm free…lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    dumbass just posted a fear mongering video, complete with american flags, nazi imagery, and everything in between titled "Freedom", talking about vaccine mandates/passports and how they go against freedom and democracy and claims that the US is the first country in history to be a democracy. 

god he's fucking stupid. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dumbass just posted a fear mongering video, complete with american flags, nazi imagery, and everything in between titled "Freedom", talking about vaccine mandates/passports and how they go against freedom and democracy and claims that the US is the first country in history to be a democracy. 

god he's fucking stupid. 

going a little alex jones eh?