#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    I think these programs should end soon too but you guys know there are programs available, by mortgage companies, for landlords right? There are forbearance programs available for people who are experiencing a hardship and cannot make their payments that do not affect their credit scores.

Also, Mace, I find your second paragraph a bit offensive to folks in the restaurant industry. You make it seem like they're all just lazy fucks who don't want to go back to work. I have read multiple articles over the last few months about people in that field who are using this time to re evaluate their lives and going back to school or just moving onto a different line of work that pays much better and provides much better benefits. Strong possibility that a lot of those people will not go back even when these benefits end. Good for them. I would think twice about shaming these folks. They work their asses off for peanuts. Hell, I would take advantage of this time and make a pivot if I were them to.

Also, stating the obvious--but if a certain ex president and certain red, southern states, would've just taken the pandemic more seriously from the start instead of doing things like belittling mask wearing and not encouraging people to get the vaccine, perhaps there would not have been a need to extend the unemployment benefits for as long as they have. And now with the Delta variant and the possibility of other variants mutating because these dopes still refuse to wear a mask and/or get vaccinated...who knows how long this will last? But hey, this is a America and we all need to protect our FREEDUMBS AND STUFF! Fucking idiots.

America.
    Fuck Yeah. 
    I’m aware there are forbearance programs for mortgages, but haven’t looked too deeply into them. I do believe it’s just a temporary pause or reduced payment, and you will still owe the whole loan amount. I’m guessing you have to make up the difference at a certain point. Either way, I think it’s wrong for the government to force someone to keep renting to someone who isn’t paying rent, regardless if there’s landlord programs or not. Especially for this wrong. A couple months maybe, but a year and half?
    Im not trying to offend restaurant workers. If I was making as much or more not working, I’d use that opportunity to better myself too. I’m not blaming them. I’m blaming the policies that are still being extended. Our governor extended the unemployment benefit through September. So now we have high unemployment and record high demand at the same time. Restaurants who struggled for the last year and half are still struggling because they can’t open due to lack of staff. The problem is the policies that allow this, not the workers. We don’t eat out a lot, but we have a few favorite places we go to when we do. Most have significantly raised their prices. A $10 breakfast skillet a year ago is now $13. A local Mexican joint had a $7 burrito that’s now $9. A lot of that is cost of food, but also having to run half a restaurant too and increasing pay to get people to come in. A pizza place we like had a hour wait because they were at half capacity due to low staffing. We’ll probably eat out even less now. It just seems asinine that this is still going on. The unemployment benefit was to keep food on the table when jobs weren’t available. Now they are, and in many cases paying even better than before. 
    Forbearance programs are temporary, but so is the eviction moratorium thing. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it is a tool available to folks who cannot make their mortgage payments. I've talked to borrowers who have been in one for about a year or so.

Two months would've been fine with you but a year and a half would not have been? I know it's a long time but two months would have put them into the early part of last summer. Can you imagine how many people would be out on the streets had the government had NOT stepped in and extended this? And we cannot overlook the REASON this has been extended for a year and a half-----almost half of the fucking country is too dumb or ignorant to take a global pandemic seriously. 600,000 plus people have died and these morons still refuse to take the two simple steps that will get us out of this mess. I think your ire should be directed towards them and the republican party who has brainwashed them into believing political trash over the last year plus. A lot of those people thought this thing was fake and was going to just disappear if Trump lost the election. 

A lot of the folks who worked in that industry are using this time to go back to school or get into a different line of work that pays better and offers much better benefits. We added close to a million new jobs last month and the unemployment rate dropped. I bet once these benefits run out, you're still going to see shortages at these restaurants because people just found ways of bettering their lives and changing their career paths over the last year or so. I say good for them.

I'm sorry you are paying 2 bucks more for a burrito and that your breakfast skillet costs 3 bucks more. We all have to make sacrifices. Shame on the industry for offering such shitty wages and such horrible benefits to begin with. Perhaps if a sizeable portion doesn't come back in September they'll make those positions more attractive for people...of course them offering more competitive wages and benefits would likely mean you'd still be paying a few bucks more for a burrito so I guess you'd still be unhappy. lol

Landlords should not be the ones bearing the burden of housing those that cannot afford housing.  It’s not just about mortgage payments, but about the government interfering with their ability to run their businesses and possibly even feed their own families.  Did they make restaurants feed people for free or gas stations give out free gas?  I have a feeling that when the moratorium ends, there will be a shit ton of eviction notices, with the silver lining of squatters refusing to leave (because of further stupid laws preventing them from being kicked out in some states).  It is already a mess and will be a mess, and it doesn’t all have to do with the pandemic.  There have been stories of squatters taking over houses and refusing to leave for quite a while now, the pandemic just increased that loophole ten fold.  But the moratorium is nothing less than government backed theft against landlords.  The courts are going to be wrapped up in lawsuits for years over this, justifiably.
    I understand the concerns. But if half the country took this pandemic seriously, we wouldn't still be dealing with this stuff. The republican party and the people who have blindly followed them have taken us down this path. Democrats believe in big government so, you got a pandemic like this....of course stuff like this was going to happen.

My thing is telling people not to wear masks and leading them to believe that vaccines are not worth it have not only resulting in tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths, but have also opened the door to the issues we are talking about now. So it's just funny to me to see those same people (not necessarily you and mace--just in general) complain about the government overreach when the "overreach" is a direct reaction to their own stupidity. Had they just been good citizens followed the guidelines, we would be in so much better shape at this point .

I think you have to be careful in saying that because some idiots refused to wear masks and get vaxxed, now a property owner loses control/rights on his property.  These two things are not connected directly and it's not right.  Remember this is a double whammy for this owners.  Not only do they lose their revenue stream but for the small owner, their credit is getting blown up.  Even when it's over, they will have long term ramifications. 
    Exactly
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited August 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    All good, but the problem seems to be people that just don’t think they need to pay rent at all since landlord cannot evict them, and sometimes new home owners that have previous owners refusing to leave (essentially squatters).  More and more stories popping up regularly.
    If people are truly trying to make things right and applying for assistance and trying to get the landlord money owed, I give them a pass.  But those exploiting the moratorium loopholes, just riding out a “free rent” lifestyle are the shitty ones and I hope they do end up on the streets.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    All good, but the problem seems to be people that just don’t think they need to pay rent at all since landlord cannot evict them, and sometimes new home owners that have previous owners refusing to leave.  More and more stories popping up regularly.

and they would be the very small percentage of folks. now the link you quoted is also for landlords not just renters

mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    All good, but the problem seems to be people that just don’t think they need to pay rent at all since landlord cannot evict them, and sometimes new home owners that have previous owners refusing to leave.  More and more stories popping up regularly.

and they would be the very small percentage of folks. now the link you quoted is also for landlords not just renters
    I’m not sure the percentage of folks, but it seems large enough to be a big problem.  Not to mention, the rental assistance is getting tied up and not distributed very well.  It looks good on paper, but hasn’t worked out too well in practice.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

I’m not sure the percentage of folks, but it seems large enough to be a big problem.  Not to mention, the rental assistance is getting tied up and not distributed very well.  It looks good on paper, but hasn’t worked out too well in practice.
    But doesn't all of this rely on the renter applying for assistance?  This isn't designed to directly help the property owner.  If the renter just blows off the aid, they still can't be evicted.  
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

But doesn't all of this rely on the renter applying for assistance?  This isn't designed to directly help the property owner.  If the renter just blows off the aid, they still can't be evicted.  

no. landlords are eligible too

edited August 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

The point is that if the landlords get 0$, government assistance or whatever for whatever reason, they still cannot evict the person and are  having to essentially pay their rent for them.  And here is where it gets really shitty:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/california-couple-barred-from-their-own-home-by-eviction-moratorium-2021-3

The policy flat out sucks…no other words.

PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

The point is that if the landlords get 0$, government assistance or whatever for whatever reason, they still cannot evict the person and are  having to essentially pay their rent for them.  And here is where it gets really shitty:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/california-couple-barred-from-their-own-home-by-eviction-moratorium-2021-3

if if if...
    remedy is through the courts for unintended happenings.

edited August 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:

if if if...
    remedy is through the courts for unintended happenings.
    Right, that’s where I mentioned earlier that the courts (local, state, and federal) are going to be wrapped up in this for a long time.  And, most likely, the landlords are still going to be the losers when all is said and done.
    Man, things sure look good on paper though…
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited August 2021
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:
    I think these programs should end soon too but you guys know there are programs available, by mortgage companies, for landlords right? There are forbearance programs available for people who are experiencing a hardship and cannot make their payments that do not affect their credit scores.

Also, Mace, I find your second paragraph a bit offensive to folks in the restaurant industry. You make it seem like they're all just lazy fucks who don't want to go back to work. I have read multiple articles over the last few months about people in that field who are using this time to re evaluate their lives and going back to school or just moving onto a different line of work that pays much better and provides much better benefits. Strong possibility that a lot of those people will not go back even when these benefits end. Good for them. I would think twice about shaming these folks. They work their asses off for peanuts. Hell, I would take advantage of this time and make a pivot if I were them to.

Also, stating the obvious--but if a certain ex president and certain red, southern states, would've just taken the pandemic more seriously from the start instead of doing things like belittling mask wearing and not encouraging people to get the vaccine, perhaps there would not have been a need to extend the unemployment benefits for as long as they have. And now with the Delta variant and the possibility of other variants mutating because these dopes still refuse to wear a mask and/or get vaccinated...who knows how long this will last? But hey, this is a America and we all need to protect our FREEDUMBS AND STUFF! Fucking idiots.

America.
    Fuck Yeah. 
    I’m aware there are forbearance programs for mortgages, but haven’t looked too deeply into them. I do believe it’s just a temporary pause or reduced payment, and you will still owe the whole loan amount. I’m guessing you have to make up the difference at a certain point. Either way, I think it’s wrong for the government to force someone to keep renting to someone who isn’t paying rent, regardless if there’s landlord programs or not. Especially for this wrong. A couple months maybe, but a year and half?
    Im not trying to offend restaurant workers. If I was making as much or more not working, I’d use that opportunity to better myself too. I’m not blaming them. I’m blaming the policies that are still being extended. Our governor extended the unemployment benefit through September. So now we have high unemployment and record high demand at the same time. Restaurants who struggled for the last year and half are still struggling because they can’t open due to lack of staff. The problem is the policies that allow this, not the workers. We don’t eat out a lot, but we have a few favorite places we go to when we do. Most have significantly raised their prices. A $10 breakfast skillet a year ago is now $13. A local Mexican joint had a $7 burrito that’s now $9. A lot of that is cost of food, but also having to run half a restaurant too and increasing pay to get people to come in. A pizza place we like had a hour wait because they were at half capacity due to low staffing. We’ll probably eat out even less now. It just seems asinine that this is still going on. The unemployment benefit was to keep food on the table when jobs weren’t available. Now they are, and in many cases paying even better than before. 
    Forbearance programs are temporary, but so is the eviction moratorium thing. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but it is a tool available to folks who cannot make their mortgage payments. I've talked to borrowers who have been in one for about a year or so.

Two months would've been fine with you but a year and a half would not have been? I know it's a long time but two months would have put them into the early part of last summer. Can you imagine how many people would be out on the streets had the government had NOT stepped in and extended this? And we cannot overlook the REASON this has been extended for a year and a half-----almost half of the fucking country is too dumb or ignorant to take a global pandemic seriously. 600,000 plus people have died and these morons still refuse to take the two simple steps that will get us out of this mess. I think your ire should be directed towards them and the republican party who has brainwashed them into believing political trash over the last year plus. A lot of those people thought this thing was fake and was going to just disappear if Trump lost the election. 

A lot of the folks who worked in that industry are using this time to go back to school or get into a different line of work that pays better and offers much better benefits. We added close to a million new jobs last month and the unemployment rate dropped. I bet once these benefits run out, you're still going to see shortages at these restaurants because people just found ways of bettering their lives and changing their career paths over the last year or so. I say good for them.

I'm sorry you are paying 2 bucks more for a burrito and that your breakfast skillet costs 3 bucks more. We all have to make sacrifices. Shame on the industry for offering such shitty wages and such horrible benefits to begin with. Perhaps if a sizeable portion doesn't come back in September they'll make those positions more attractive for people...of course them offering more competitive wages and benefits would likely mean you'd still be paying a few bucks more for a burrito so I guess you'd still be unhappy. lol

Landlords should not be the ones bearing the burden of housing those that cannot afford housing.  It’s not just about mortgage payments, but about the government interfering with their ability to run their businesses and possibly even feed their own families.  Did they make restaurants feed people for free or gas stations give out free gas?  I have a feeling that when the moratorium ends, there will be a shit ton of eviction notices, with the silver lining of squatters refusing to leave (because of further stupid laws preventing them from being kicked out in some states).  It is already a mess and will be a mess, and it doesn’t all have to do with the pandemic.  There have been stories of squatters taking over houses and refusing to leave for quite a while now, the pandemic just increased that loophole ten fold.  But the moratorium is nothing less than government backed theft against landlords.  The courts are going to be wrapped up in lawsuits for years over this, justifiably.
    I understand the concerns. But if half the country took this pandemic seriously, we wouldn't still be dealing with this stuff. The republican party and the people who have blindly followed them have taken us down this path. Democrats believe in big government so, you got a pandemic like this....of course stuff like this was going to happen.

My thing is telling people not to wear masks and leading them to believe that vaccines are not worth it have not only resulting in tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths, but have also opened the door to the issues we are talking about now. So it's just funny to me to see those same people (not necessarily you and mace--just in general) complain about the government overreach when the "overreach" is a direct reaction to their own stupidity. Had they just been good citizens followed the guidelines, we would be in so much better shape at this point .

I think you have to be careful in saying that because some idiots refused to wear masks and get vaxxed, now a property owner loses control/rights on his property.  These two things are not connected directly and it's not right.  Remember this is a double whammy for this owners.  Not only do they lose their revenue stream but for the small owner, their credit is getting blown up.  Even when it's over, they will have long term ramifications. 
    The root problem...the reason why these benefits exist in the first place is because we are still in the midst of the pandemic. Had the vast majority of the country simply followed cdc guidelines things would not have gotten as bad as they did last year and we might be in the clear by now, thus the moratorium wouldn't have needed to be extended. And maybe the unemployment thing would not have been extended until September either.

So I'm not blaming the landlords per se, but those people who chose not to take this seriously are why we're dealing with the delta variant now and possibly more variants down the road. It's the folks not willing to help out their fellow citizens, and the political leaders who led them astray and are continuing to do so, that are most to blame for all covid issues, directly or indirectly. 

Also, regarding FB's--if they utilize the forbearance programs through their mortgage company, their credit should not be harmed. I have refinanced people a few months out of those programs. Wait period is 3 months from the end date currently, I believe. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Instead of placing the burden on landlords, maybe the “government assistance” should have been an emergency measure to build more low income housing (mini-houses out of shipping containers are crazy cheap and popular right now).  It may have produced a lot of jobs as well…
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

America.
    Fuck Yeah. 

The root problem...the reason why these benefits exist in the first place is because we are still in the midst of the pandemic. Had the vast majority of the country simply followed cdc guidelines things would not have gotten as bad as they did last year and we might be in the clear by now, thus the moratorium wouldn't have needed to be extended. And maybe the unemployment thing would not have been extended until September either.

So I'm not blaming the landlords per se, but those people who chose not to take this seriously are why we're dealing with the delta variant now and possibly more variants down the road. It's the folks not willing to help out their fellow citizens, and the political leaders who led them astray and are continuing to do so, that are most to blame for all covid issues, directly or indirectly. 

Also, regarding FB's--if they utilize the forbearance programs through their mortgage company, their credit should not be harmed. I have refinanced people a few months out of those programs. Wait period is 3 months from the end date currently, I believe. 
    I'm not disagreeing with the macro statement, but I don't know that it's helpful.  If I'm a landlord that got their vaccine and wear a mask, I'm still screwed.  

@mickeyrat are you saying that a landlord could take advantage even if the loan isn't gov't backed?  I knew any mortgagee was eligible if you have a gov't backed loan, but I never saw anything that said they could if it wasn't. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

America.
    Fuck Yeah. 

I'm not disagreeing with the macro statement, but I don't know that it's helpful.  If I'm a landlord that got their vaccine and wear a mask, I'm still screwed.  

@mickeyrat are you saying that a landlord could take advantage even if the loan isn't gov't backed?  I knew any mortgagee was eligible if you have a gov't backed loan, but I never saw anything that said they could if it wasn't. 
    I would be pissed if I was a landlord as well....but, again, they do have the forbearance option if they need it. I don't have the numbers right now, but I believe those forbearance programs have helped a lot of homeowners avoid foreclosures over the last year. So it is not like landlords have no options available to them. 

chinese-happy.jpg
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mace1229 said:

America.
    Fuck Yeah. 

I would be pissed if I was a landlord as well....but, again, they do have the forbearance option if they need it. I don't have the numbers right now, but I believe those forbearance programs have helped a lot of homeowners avoid foreclosures over the last year. So it is not like landlords have no options available to them. 

If htey are able to access programs even if the loan isn't gov't backed, then I agree.  But that wasn't my understanding.  I'm not worried about the massive investment that Black Rock and other PE's made over the past decade in rental strategies.  I'm concerned about the small guy.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited August 2021
    mace1229 said:

America.
    Fuck Yeah. 

The skillet was totally worth the extra $3. The burrito, not so much.
    A year and half of not receiving rent probably doesn't seem so temporary to the landlord. 
    The point was the government should not be forcing people to allow people to stay in their homes for free. Why not force people who have a second summer house to let homeless stay there when they are away? I have an extra bedroom, why not force me to take in a family? If I rented my spare bedroom out they could stop paying rent and not leave. If I own a house I should dictate who lives there and how much the rent is, the government should not be stepping in and telling me I have to give out freebies on my dime. If I own the house don't force me to rent it out for free.  And why give the unemployment bonus if you're not expected to pay rent anyway?
    Whether people are going to school to better themselves or not is besides the point. The bonus was because businesses shut down and there were no jobs available. That is no longer the case, there is a high demand for workers offering good pay, but we still have the bonus. If someone went to school and found a better line of work that is awesome. I think more people should.  But also completely unrelated to why we had the bonus and not a reason to extend it.  We cant keep giving out free money forever, 

Post edited by mace1229 on
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    All good, but the problem seems to be people that just don’t think they need to pay rent at all since landlord cannot evict them, and sometimes new home owners that have previous owners refusing to leave (essentially squatters).  More and more stories popping up regularly.
    If people are truly trying to make things right and applying for assistance and trying to get the landlord money owed, I give them a pass.  But those exploiting the moratorium loopholes, just riding out a “free rent” lifestyle are the shitty ones and I hope they do end up on the streets.
    I saw a story a while ago where a live-in nanny had a room as part of her pay. She quit on her first day of the job and hasn't been evicted for months. She has her room and access to all the common areas and the family hasn't been able to do anything about it because of the Covid eviction laws.
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    I saw a story a while ago where a live-in nanny had a room as part of her pay. She quit on her first day of the job and hasn't been evicted for months. She has her room and access to all the common areas and the family hasn't been able to do anything about it because of the Covid eviction laws.
    Evil genius 
    edited August 2021
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    That’s so fucking dumb, people that scam others like that should 100% end up on the street.  I hope she does.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Must have been this one, unless you can find another? Only other story I saw was from 2014. Where did you hear about this from last April? Doesn't sound like it was months, although the story is short on actual details.

https://www.moms.com/family-evict-nanny-refused-leave/
    It's a hopeless situation...
    edited August 2021
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Must have been this one, unless you can find another? Only other story I saw was from 2014. Where did you hear about this from last April? Doesn't sound like it was months, although the story is short on actual details.

https://www.moms.com/family-evict-nanny-refused-leave/
    That must have been it. Says she was there 2 1/2 months. My memory said it was longer, but that story is over a year old. I bet it felt like 2 1/2 years for the family though.
    I'm actually a little surprised it wasn't longer, because I think a normal eviction under normal times can take almost that long if they don't cooperate and refuse to leave and have to be dragged out by the sheriff dept. 

Post edited by mace1229 on

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-slams-trump-for-racking-up-8-trillion-in-debt-as-he-vows-democrats-will-pay-for-their-spending-plan-by-taxing-the-rich/ar-AANd9vW

Biden slams Trump for racking up $8 trillion in debt as he vows Democrats will pay for their spending plan by taxing the rich

Joe Biden wearing a suit and tie President Joe Biden AP PhotoEvan Vucci File© AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File President Joe Biden. AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File
    • During remarks promoting his economic agenda, Biden slammed Trump's tax cuts for racking up debt.
    • He said his plans would be fully paid for by raising taxes on the wealthy and corporations.
    • The infrastructure and reconciliation bills are both headed to the House for approval.
    • See more stories on Insider's business page.

After months of negotiations, the Senate passed President Joe Biden's $1 trillion infrastructure bill on Tuesday. A day later, the president made sure Americans knew his economic agenda would represent a sharp break from President Donald Trump.

"This isn't going to be anything like my predecessor, whose unpaid tax cuts and other spending added nearly $8 trillion in his four years to the national debt - $8 trillion," Biden said on Wednesday.

The passage of the infrastructure plan through the Senate was a major achievement for Biden's Build Back Better agenda, and during his remarks, he touted the plans for creating jobs and boosting economic growth, among other things. He also used this achievement to criticize the debt that came from Trump's tax cuts, saying that Trump didn't even attempt to pay for them.

According to Federal Reserve data, the national debt rose by almost $7.8 trillion during Trump's time in office. During that time, Republicans approved a major corporate-tax cut that added $2 trillion to the national debt, a measure many Democrats and economists said favored the wealthiest Americans.

During Trump's tenure, Democrats and Republicans also struck some spending deals to fund the government, while $3 trillion was added to the national debt specifically to combat the COVID-19 pandemic with stimulus packages that provided small-business aid, enhanced unemployment insurance, and direct payments. Economists largely viewed that spending as critical to keeping people and businesses afloat during the crisis.

Biden vowed he would do things differently and pay for his major spending proposals by hiking taxes on the rich.

"The investments I'm proposing would be fully paid for over the long term by having the largest corporations ... and the superwealthy begin to pay their fair share," Biden said.

Read more: The ultimate White House org chart to 600+ members of Biden's staff and who makes six figures

Biden has remained committed to raising taxes on the wealthy and corporations. When he introduced his infrastructure proposals, he wanted to fund them with a corporate-tax hike to 28%, still only a partial reversal of Trump's 2017 corporate-tax cut. He said at the time that he was "sick and tired of ordinary people being fleeced."

Republicans have strictly opposed raising taxes on the rich, but Senate Democrats are attempting to do that with their $3.5 trillion reconciliation bill, which can be passed without any Republican votes.

Both the infrastructure and reconciliation bills are headed to the House for approval, marking wins for Democrats in advancing Biden's economic plans.

"We brought this economy back from a cold start," Biden said. "And there is going to be some ups and down. But I am committed to making sure our historic economic recovery reaches everyone."

Biden later dismissed recent GOP threats that they wouldn't assist Democrats in raising the debt ceiling, a step that would authorize the US government to pay off its debt load. "Nope, they're not going to let us default," he said.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Senate passes the infrastructure bill 69-30.  To quote a shitty president "promises made, promises kept".  This is a big win.  My guess is that healthcare becomes the signature issue in 2022.  This will allow the D's to campaign on it and put the R's in a position to be against it, which won't be a winning side.  
    Who needs healthcare?
    I’ve made it to 39 and 7/8ths years old in america without continuous reliable affordable healthcare…why start now?

Because in a few months your warranty will expire. 
     =) 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    nicknyr15 said:
    good thing we have a prez who won't tweet about his approval numbers from the golden toilet at 3am. haha
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

nicknyr15 said:
    good thing we have a prez who won't tweet about his approval numbers from the golden toilet at 3am. haha
    Bound to happen. Most president's numbers go down towards the middle to end of their first year. Still way higher than Trump, higher than Clinton, and just slightly below Obama and Bush at the same point in their first year

538 averages:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/?ex_cid=rrpromo

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    nicknyr15 said:
    When I saw this link posted, there was not a single doubt in my mind that whoever responded to it was going to bring up Trump. Wasn't expecting his toilet to be involved, but here we are. 

A good point that article makes is to basically forget about Trump for a moment (if that's possible) and compare Biden to normal presidents. When you do, Biden's approval rating is a full 10 points lower than Obama's was at this point in his presidency. Could be just an "in the moment" sort of thing following this Afghanistan stuff. Or maybe his approval will begin declining. Too early to tell. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    edited August 2021
    nicknyr15 said:
    When I saw this link posted, there was not a single doubt in my mind that whoever responded to it was going to bring up Trump. Wasn't expecting his toilet to be involved, but here we are. 

A good point that article makes is to basically forget about Trump for a moment (if that's possible) and compare Biden to normal presidents. When you do, Biden's approval rating is a full 10 points lower than Obama's was at this point in his presidency. Could be just an "in the moment" sort of thing following this Afghanistan stuff. Or maybe his approval will begin declining. Too early to tell. 
    Not really. Instead of cherry picking polls, just go to the 538 average:
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/?ex_cid=rrpromo

12 points higher than Trump
    3 points below Obama
    3 points below Bush
    6 points above Clinton

I think hovering right around 50% is pretty normal in a divided country. I would bet his numbers continue to slide for the coming weeks or maybe months, levelling off right around 50% by the end of the year. 

Also, Chris Cillizza is trash. I don't understand how he still has a job. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    nicknyr15 said:

when I posted my reply, there wasn't a single doubt in my mind that someone would criticize a mention of trump, even though it was obviously a joke. 

and here we are. 

I really don't give two fucks about an approval rating. the former guy is the one who made a big deal about it every other day. sometimes the people don't understand the big picture of things in the immediate present; as you said, his rating over time is what will matter when it comes to 2022. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD