#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    edited November 2021
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    Noooooo ever since my grandpa died and my supply of fresh made northern michigan maple syrup dried up I have been relying on those beady eyed flappy headed canadians and their syrup...Move over Greta things are getting serious.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    hoarding timeline:

2020: toilet paper
    2021/22: maple syrup
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    what I really want is a movie based on the The Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist starring Jason Statham. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    what I really want is a movie based on the The Great Canadian Maple Syrup Heist starring Jason Statham. 
    I was unfamiliar with the great canadian maple syrup heist until reading this article.  I would definitely watch a movie.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    I was unfamiliar with the great canadian maple syrup heist until reading this article.  I would definitely watch a movie.
    me too. haha
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    My sister sent me an article about the Maple Syrup shortage, kind of joking about it being a "crisis" because she knows maple syrup is one of may favorite things.  Funny, but at the same time, sad to think that breakfast- my favorite meal of the day-  may just not be the same someday.
    Of course the reality here is that this is a first world "problem" indicative of a true global crisis.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,789
    https://youtu.be/hNDgcjVGHIw

Pretty interesting video. From the NYT no less. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

this honestly isn't at all surprising to me. I've always felt what that guy said, that many liberals are all about equality, "just not in my back yard". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:

this honestly isn't at all surprising to me. I've always felt what that guy said, that many liberals are all about equality, "just not in my back yard". 

I have said the very same thing a number of times in the past.  But the radical right Trump republicans and their extreme views and their extremely stupid manner and blind follow-the-foolish-leader way of pushing those views was a game changer that pushed things into a new perspective.  The left has it's share of hypocrisy, not doubt!  But other than the fringe Lincoln Project folks, the fight to preserve democracy has almost solely been a left/Democrat effort.  The right has lost almost all of its credibility.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I have said the very same thing a number of times in the past.  But the radical right Trump republicans and their extreme views and their extremely stupid manner and blind follow-the-foolish-leader way of pushing those views was a game changer that pushed things into a new perspective.  The left has it's share of hypocrisy, not doubt!  But other than the fringe Lincoln Project folks, the fight to preserve democracy has almost solely been a left/Democrat effort.  The right has lost almost all of its credibility.
    I agree on that absolutely, it's just funny how the left (and I'm including myself here) have almost been fooled by the dem leadership that they'll actually implement these progressive policies when they hold all the cards, and.....they don't. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I agree on that absolutely, it's just funny how the left (and I'm including myself here) have almost been fooled by the dem leadership that they'll actually implement these progressive policies when they hold all the cards, and.....they don't. 

Not nearly as often as we would like, that's for sure.  Why is that?
    (And I must confess here, due to limited date on my phone-as-hot-spot for internet, I could not watch the whole video, which might answer my question.)

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

(And I must confess here, due to limited date on my phone-as-hot-spot for internet, I could not watch the whole video, which might answer my question.)
    those that make policy are some of the ones who don't want it in their back yards. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

those that make policy are some of the ones who don't want it in their back yards. 

Like prisons, drug rehab centers, and homeless shelters?

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

affordable housing
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

affordable housing

Ah, I see.  Yeah, NIMBY, for sure. But is that a left/right thing?  I would think both dems and reps, left and right people with money and upscale neighborhoods would be NIMBY on affordable housing because that would drop the value of their homes.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

affordable housing

Ah, I see.  Yeah, NIMBY, for sure. But is that a left/right thing?  I would think both dems and reps, left and right people with money and upscale neighborhoods would be NIMBY on affordable housing because that would drop the value of their homes.
    yes, but are republicans promising to build affordable housing?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

affordable housing

yes, but are republicans promising to build affordable housing?

I would guess not, but would not say so because I honestly don't know.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    About ten years ago there were rumours that Jason Segel was going to star in a movie about it! I wish it had come out.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    About ten years ago there were rumours that Jason Segel was going to star in a movie about it! I wish it had come out.
    Jean Claude Van Damme was busy with a different Oscar worthy performance?
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

I found that host to be super annoying. 

To the points..

1. There's a big difference between liberals and progressives.  This short tries to lump libs, progressives and center left people like me,  into one bucket.  Worse,  it cherry picks state and county decisions that support its conclusions into one broad bucket.  I find that irritating.

2. However,  it does bring out a fundamental truth.  The country truly is center right.  Now that center always moves,  but it's center right.  And the VA elections should be a wake up call.  You want to push these far left policies,  you will lose elections.  Is it better to be center left or out of power? 
  • Options
    benjs said:

mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    Jean Claude Van Damme was busy with a different Oscar worthy performance?

Arnold Schwarzenegger passed on it because he is not into sugar.  His reply when asked was, "No!  Put down that cookie!"

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

To the points..

1. There's a big difference between liberals and progressives.  This short tries to lump libs, progressives and center left people like me,  into one bucket.  Worse,  it cherry picks state and county decisions that support its conclusions into one broad bucket.  I find that irritating.

2. However,  it does bring out a fundamental truth.  The country truly is center right.  Now that center always moves,  but it's center right.  And the VA elections should be a wake up call.  You want to push these far left policies,  you will lose elections.  Is it better to be center left or out of power? 
    that is one thing I noticed too (the cherry picking). But like you said, for the most part, truly progressive policies are great to run on, but not to implement. people think they've done their job by electing the person who said they will do it, and wash their hands of it when they inevitably don't follow through. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

To the points..

I don't like sounding "alarmist", but it scares the bejesus out of me to see how the U.S. is moving to the right and what that could mean for environmental and social justice issues. 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

To the points..

I don't like sounding "alarmist", but it scares the bejesus out of me to see how the U.S. is moving to the right and what that could mean for environmental and social justice issues. 
    View it through the arc of history.  We are far more liberal than we were in the 50s, 60s, 90s, etc.  There's some ebb and flow, but the social movement left continues. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

To the points..

View it through the arc of history.  We are far more liberal than we were in the 50s, 60s, 90s, etc.  There's some ebb and flow, but the social movement left continues. 

1950's, definitely. More liberal in the sixties?  The Kennedy/Johnson/ years?   I don't think so! 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

To the points..

1950's, definitely. More liberal in the sixties?  The Kennedy/Johnson/ years?   I don't think so! 
    in the 60's, true civil rights was regional at best.  There were race riots everywhere.  The south was still segregated.  Gay marriage was not legal, socially acceptable or frankly even contemplated. Marijuana use was certainly not acceptable. While the hippies and the counterculture were 'liberal' of course, they were called the counterculture for a reason.  They were outside what was considered the norms of society.  You lived through it, not me.  But to hear someone say that center of the nations cultural society was more liberal in the 60's than it is today is surprising.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

To the points..

in the 60's, true civil rights was regional at best.  There were race riots everywhere.  The south was still segregated.  Gay marriage was not legal, socially acceptable or frankly even contemplated. Marijuana use was certainly not acceptable. While the hippies and the counterculture were 'liberal' of course, they were called the counterculture for a reason.  They were outside what was considered the norms of society.  You lived through it, not me.  But to hear someone say that center of the nations cultural society was more liberal in the 60's than it is today is surprising.  

America was capable of electing a Richard Nixon late in that decade, but also getting him out of there later on.  As flawed as that president was, he was no Donald Trump.  America would not have stood for a Trump in the 60 and 70's.  We did in the 2010's... and couldn't even dump him when we (sort of) tried.    And no way would right wingers try to break into the Capitol building like they did Jan. 6.  This kind of shit just did not happen then.  We were not on the verge of losing Democracy.  No way would Americans tolerate flags on cars that read "Fuck Kennedy" like we see that say "Fuck Biden".  For all it's flaws back then, overall, the U.S. was not as radically right wing then as it is today.  This country is way more screwed up today. 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

To the points..

America was capable of electing a Richard Nixon late in that decade, but also getting him out of there later on.  As flawed as that president was, he was no Donald Trump.  America would not have stood for a Trump in the 60 and 70's.  We did in the 2010's... and couldn't even dump him when we (sort of) tried.    And no way would right wingers try to break into the Capitol building like they did Jan. 6.  This kind of shit just did not happen then.  We were not on the verge of losing Democracy.  No way would Americans tolerate flags on cars that read "Fuck Kennedy" like we see that say "Fuck Biden".  For all it's flaws back then, overall, the U.S. was not as radically right wing then as it is today.  This country is way more screwed up today. 

I think what you're referring to though is a niche group of folks, not the majority of conservatives/republicans. sure, most tolerate that bullshit, but aren't actively participating in it. 

I think for the most part the US is more liberal than it used to be. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:

To the points..

I agree with many of these points, and I would synthesize it by saying the right wing is more extreme than it was back then.  I think that is for sure.  The country had its John Birch Society nutjobs, but they were considered nuts by the party.  Goldwater got demolished too.  So yes, I'm there with you.  But I still think the center of American culture is more liberal today than it was back then.  But the extreme is also more dangerous.  To me, that's an output of social media.