Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,603
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Whoa! 7th straight week of jobless claims as last week’s were the lowest since the start of the pandemic. So much losing. Go Brandon go!

And did you see President Biden go faaaaast in that GM electric vehicle that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds? He’s such a weak loser.
    FJB.  Everyone knows that diesel is the future.  

Coal fired boiler cars are the future, duh! 
    My point is that Biden is driving  and hyping up electric vehicles which most people could never afford. Meanwhile, gas prices are through the roof. Electric vehicles may be the future but most people still rely on gasoline and the rising price of gasoline must be addressed and fixed.

Oil is expensive because OPEC is still not pumping at pre-pandemic levels, let alone enough to meet the high demand from all the pent up projects, construction, goods, etc.  They have started but they are slow playing it.  They know 82 per barrel is unsustainable but they have no interest in getting it to $60 anytime too soon.  There's nothing anyone can do to strong arm the cartel.

Biden has two levers, the strategic reserve and policy.  Tapping the reserve (which evidently they are considering) would provide immediate relief.  But it's not easy decision.  It's rarely done, maybe once or twice in our lifetime.  It's there for disasters and such, or like the energy crisis in the 70's.  We are not at that level.  I don't know that I support that or not right now.

The second option is some policy.  And in the new infrastructure bill, there are several billion allocated to the states to help low income pay energy bills this winter.  Will this help middle class people?  No, probably not directly.  

So this is not an easy problem and there is no easy solution.  The supply chains need to restart in full, but the oil prices have to come down to abate inflation.  it's that simple. 
    My repub friends said that since Biden has took office oil production is down in this country because Biden wants more oil from opec.  Any truth to that?  Were we energy independent under trump as they say?  If so what happened?
    No we weren't energy independent.  That's crazy talk.  They think Biden has disassembled a private sector industry like energy in the last 10 months?? Are they on crack? Drilling in the US has actually increased this year.  We are fracking heavy and you can't frack when oil is less than around 40 a barrel.  That's the shut down price. 
    Oh yeah I hear all the time we were energy independent under Trump and now Biden wants more oil from opec which in turns shuts down us refineries.   This of course drives up the cost of oil since opec controls the prices.   
    These people do not understand that we have low grade oil here.  It nets far less usable petroleum than Brent Crude. Once oil is below a certain price per barrel,  it has to shut down.  

Now that oil is back to being expensive,  the fracking is restarting.  It's just econ 101.

Plus think about that statement.. "Biden wants more oil from OPEC so the refineries shut down"

How would Biden's desire for cartel oil lead private refineries to shut down?  Why would they just shut down?

See these geniuses call us communists and say we took the red pill,  but the arguments make no sense.  That's why you have JB admitting he knows nothing about inflationary forces but still blames Biden and you also have "lurkers" who won't even attempt to engage because they can't formulate their own arguments.  They're just parrots of the right wing ecosystem.  

Am I right, Hugh?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,429
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    trump was by far the weakest POS that office has ever seen. calling biden weak when he's getting shit done is laughable. i don't see other world leaders gathering together and laughing at him. or laughing at him at a world conference. gimme a break. 

There's some proof of world leaders laughing at Biden and his usual gaffes. Gimme a break.

Lol...looks like a group of friends sharing a laugh to me. Here is Trump literally being laughed at on the national stage at the UN
    https://youtu.be/-z4y8OJxlK8
    I apologize. I thought this thread was about Biden, not Trump.

I'm not the only one that is not happy with Biden. https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/18/politics/biden-approval-rating-low/index.html

You can talk Biden up all day long but the American people aren't happy with him and that is getting worse day by day.

I love how polling matters to Trump supporters again. Biden's low point is near Trump's high point. Oh no!

Also, I guess you're just not gonna answer the question about what the president can do about gas prices? And can you tell us why you did not come here and complain about gas prices rising during Trump's term? lol
    I don't know the answer. I can tell you that I didn't come here and complain about gas prices during Trump's presidency because prices weren't this high! That's why many people weren't complaining about gas prices under Trump. lol

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2021/03/27/which-president-oversaw-the-highest-gasoline-prices/?sh=23286fa71d28

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited November 2021
    Explain what you mean by once a barrel hits a certain price it has to shut down.  Like it’s so low they can’t make a profit?
    Low grade oil? brent crude?  Oil is not my thing.  Sorry for the rookie questions.  

And my repub friends say they shut down because they can’t compete with opec.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Whoa! 7th straight week of jobless claims as last week’s were the lowest since the start of the pandemic. So much losing. Go Brandon go!

And did you see President Biden go faaaaast in that GM electric vehicle that goes 0-60 in 3 seconds? He’s such a weak loser.

My point is that Biden is driving  and hyping up electric vehicles which most people could never afford. Meanwhile, gas prices are through the roof. Electric vehicles may be the future but most people still rely on gasoline and the rising price of gasoline must be addressed and fixed.

Oil is expensive because OPEC is still not pumping at pre-pandemic levels, let alone enough to meet the high demand from all the pent up projects, construction, goods, etc.  They have started but they are slow playing it.  They know 82 per barrel is unsustainable but they have no interest in getting it to $60 anytime too soon.  There's nothing anyone can do to strong arm the cartel.

Biden has two levers, the strategic reserve and policy.  Tapping the reserve (which evidently they are considering) would provide immediate relief.  But it's not easy decision.  It's rarely done, maybe once or twice in our lifetime.  It's there for disasters and such, or like the energy crisis in the 70's.  We are not at that level.  I don't know that I support that or not right now.

The second option is some policy.  And in the new infrastructure bill, there are several billion allocated to the states to help low income pay energy bills this winter.  Will this help middle class people?  No, probably not directly.  

So this is not an easy problem and there is no easy solution.  The supply chains need to restart in full, but the oil prices have to come down to abate inflation.  it's that simple. 
    My repub friends said that since Biden has took office oil production is down in this country because Biden wants more oil from opec.  Any truth to that?  Were we energy independent under trump as they say?  If so what happened?
    No we weren't energy independent.  That's crazy talk.  They think Biden has disassembled a private sector industry like energy in the last 10 months?? Are they on crack? Drilling in the US has actually increased this year.  We are fracking heavy and you can't frack when oil is less than around 40 a barrel.  That's the shut down price. 
    Oh yeah I hear all the time we were energy independent under Trump and now Biden wants more oil from opec which in turns shuts down us refineries.   This of course drives up the cost of oil since opec controls the prices.   
    These people do not understand that we have low grade oil here.  It nets far less usable petroleum than Brent Crude. Once oil is below a certain price per barrel,  it has to shut down.  

Now that oil is back to being expensive,  the fracking is restarting.  It's just econ 101.

Plus think about that statement.. "Biden wants more oil from OPEC so the refineries shut down"

How would Biden's desire for cartel oil lead private refineries to shut down?  Why would they just shut down?

See these geniuses call us communists and say we took the red pill,  but the arguments make no sense.  That's why you have JB admitting he knows nothing about inflationary forces but still blames Biden and you also have "lurkers" who won't even attempt to engage because they can't formulate their own arguments.  They're just parrots of the right wing ecosystem.  

Am I right, Hugh?
    that's right, fellow cultist echo chambermate. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Plenty of ‘Muricans drive vehicles in the $30K to $120K+ price range. Maybe those driving inefficient gas guzzlers might want to consider higher mileage automobiles? But my freedumbs, right? Life is full of choices.

Regarding inflation, one factor is a highly competitive job market with many lower paying jobs going unfilled, creating wage competition (Good for employees) resulting in higher prices for consumers (bad). How do you fill those vacancies? Hhhhhhmmmmmm, let me think like a repub for a minute. Hmmmmmmm, I know, build a wall, round people up and deport them.

Let me know when the minority party wants to offer a solution to the problem, rather than just bitch about it.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©

House moves toward OK of Dems' sweeping social, climate bill
    By ALAN FRAM
    17 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — A divided House moved toward passage Thursday of Democrats' expansive social and environment bill as new cost estimates from Congress' top fiscal analyst suggested that moderate lawmakers' spending and deficit worries would be calmed, moving President Joe Biden closer to a badly needed victory.

Final debate on the long-delayed legislation came after the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office said the bill would worsen federal deficits by $160 billion over the coming decade. It also recalculated the measure’s 10-year price tag at $1.68 trillion, though that figure wasn’t directly comparable to a $1.85 trillion figure Democrats have been using.

House approval would ship the legislation to the Senate and end — though just for now — months of battling between Democrats' progressives and moderates over its costs and policies. While significant Senate changes are likely due to cost-cutting demands by moderate Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., House passage would edge Biden closer to winning more of his domestic priorities at a time when his public approval is faltering badly.

The 2,100-page bill's initiatives include bolstering child care assistance, creating free preschool, curbing seniors’ prescription drug costs and beefing up efforts to slow climate change.

“Too many Americans are just barely getting by in our economy,” said House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md. “And we simply can’t go back to the way things were before the pandemic.”

Final passage, expected in late evening, was delayed indefinitely as House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., spoke for over an hour criticizing the legislation, Biden and Democrats. Democrats sporadically booed and groaned and McCarthy glared back, underscoring partisan hostility only deepened by this week's censure of Rep. Paul Gosar, R-Ariz., for threatening tweets aimed at Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y.

McCarthy, who hopes to become speaker if Republicans capture the chamber in next year’s elections, recited problems the country has faced under Biden, including inflation, large numbers of immigrants crossing the Southwest border and the chaotic U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan. “Yeah, I want to go back,” he said in mocking reference to the “Build Back Better” name Biden uses for the legislation.

House rules do not limit how long party leaders may speak. In 2018, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif. — who was minority leader at the time — held the floor for over eight hours demanding action on immigration.

Key figures estimates of the bill's costs by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office aligned closely with earlier figures from the White House. That included tax credits to spur clean energy development, bolstered child care assistance and extended tax breaks for millions of families with children, lower-earning workers and people buying private health insurance.

The measure would provide $109 billion to create free preschool for 3- and 4-year-olds. There were large sums for home health care for seniors, new Medicare coverage for hearing and a new requirement for four weeks of paid family leave. The family leave program, however, was expected to be removed in the Senate, where it’s been opposed by Manchin.

In one major but expected difference, CBO estimated that by spending $80 billion to beef up IRS tax enforcement, the agency would collect $207 billion in new revenue over the coming decade. That meant net savings of $127 billion, well below the White House's more optimistic $400 billion estimate.

In a scorekeeping quirk, CBO formally estimated that the legislation would drive up federal budget deficits by $367 billion over the coming decade. The agency's budget guidelines technically require it to not count IRS savings when measuring a bill's deficit impact. But it acknowledged that the measure's true impact would produce added shortfalls of the lower figure — $160 billion — when counting added revenue the IRS would collect.

Biden and other Democratic leaders have said the measure would pay for itself, largely through tax increases on the wealthy, big corporations and companies doing business abroad.

Republicans said the legislation would damage an economy already racked by inflation, give tax breaks to some wealthy taxpayers and make government bigger and more intrusive. Drawing frequent GOP attacks was a provision boosting the limit on state and local taxes that people can deduct from federal taxes, which disproportionately helps top earners from high-tax coastal states.

Two weeks after centrists' objections forced Democrats to delay the measure, the party's divisions seemed all but resolved, for now. Facing uniform Republican opposition, Democrats can lose no more than three votes to prevail in the House.

In a significant sign of movement, Florida Democratic Rep. Stephanie Murphy, a leading House centrist, said she would back the measure after the latest budget figures persuaded her the legislation “is fiscally disciplined." She said the bill is flawed but “has a lot of positive elements.”

Biden this week signed a $1 trillion package of highway and other infrastructure projects, which he's spent recent days promoting around the country. But he's been battered recently by falling approval numbers in polls, reflecting voters' concerns over inflation, supply chain delays and the persistent coronavirus pandemic.

After months of talks, Democrats appeared eager to wrap it up, shelving lingering differences to begin selling the package back home. House Democrats said they were planning 1,000 events across the country by year's end to pitch the measure's benefits to voters. They face 2022 midterm elections in which Republicans have strong hopes for capturing control of the House and Senate.

House passage of the social and environment bill would send it to the 50-50 Senate, where Democrats have zero votes to spare. That's given enormous leverage to Manchin.

Senate talks could take weeks, and the prospect that Manchin or others will force additional cuts in the measure was making it easier for House moderates to back the legislation Thursday. The altered bill would have to return to the House before going to Biden's desk.

When moderates delayed House passage of the bill two weeks ago, they said they wanted to make sure the CBO's projections for its costs were similar to White House numbers, which showed the measure essentially paid for itself.

But some moderates said projections about IRS savings are always uncertain and would not cause them to oppose the measure. Others said the measure's roughly $555 billion in tax credits and other costs to encourage cleaner energy need not be paid for in the bill because global warming is an existential crisis.

CBO estimated that language helping the government curb prescription drug costs would save $297 billion over 10 years. The savings would come from new constraints on pharmaceutical companies’ pricing, but also by blocking a rule on drug company rebates that was initiated by President Donald Trump but never took effect.

The bill also would let the government issue work permits to millions of immigrants that would let them stay in the U.S. temporarily. That seemed likely to be changed or eliminated in the Senate, where rules limit provisions allowed in budget bills.

The nonpartisan Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, which preaches fiscal constraint, estimated that the bill's overall cost would be nearly $5 trillion if Democrats hadn't made some of its programs temporary. For example, tax credits for children and low-earning workers, top party priorities, are extended for just one year, making their price tags appear lower, even though the party would like those programs to be permanent.

___

AP Congressional Correspondent Lisa Mascaro and reporter Farnoush Amiri contributed to this report.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • $12,500 tax credit for a new electric vehicle built by union labor. Dammit Brandon! Stop screwing up! $9,500 tax credit for non-union built electric vehicle for you union labor haters.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    trump was by far the weakest POS that office has ever seen. calling biden weak when he's getting shit done is laughable. i don't see other world leaders gathering together and laughing at him. or laughing at him at a world conference. gimme a break. 

There's some proof of world leaders laughing at Biden and his usual gaffes. Gimme a break.

Lol...looks like a group of friends sharing a laugh to me. Here is Trump literally being laughed at on the national stage at the UN

I'm not the only one that is not happy with Biden. https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/18/politics/biden-approval-rating-low/index.html

You can talk Biden up all day long but the American people aren't happy with him and that is getting worse day by day.

it is about biden, but when you complain about shit about biden but were silent during trump about exact same things (that were actually applicable with trump), pointing out the hypocrisy is not making this about trump, it's pointing out inconsistencies. 
    You don't know what you're talking about. Just because I didn't come to a Pearl Jam message board and complain about Trump does not mean that I wasn't bringing up the issues I have with Trump. Trump is gone. It's time to discuss the current president and get over the last one.

things don't magically start from scratch in politics. the old guy is relevant to the new guy. always has been. but i guess it's time to "move on" when you just want to bitch. 
    At some point the old is no longer relevant to the new guy but TDS has a grip on too many people. Let it go Elsa

Tell that to the old guy who refuses to admit he lost, continues to do whatever he can to undermine the new guy, and is all but assured to be running again in 2024.

Sorry bud, I know the Trump comparisons are not favorable for you, but they are relevant and will absolutely continue. Get used to it. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited November 2021

Dems' sweeping social, climate bill passes divided House
    By ALAN FRAM
    15 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Democrats brushed aside months-long divisions and pushed their expansive social and environment bill through a sharply divided House on Friday, as President Joe Biden and his party moved closer to capitalizing on their control of government by funneling its resources toward their top domestic priorities.

The House approved the legislation by a near party-line 220-213 vote, sending the measure to a Senate where cost-cutting demands by moderate Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and that chamber’s strict rules seem certain to force significant changes. That will prompt fresh disputes between party centrists and progressives that will likely take weeks to resolve.

Even so, House passage marked a watershed for a measure remarkable for the breadth and depth of the changes it would make in federal policies. Wrapped into one bill are far-reaching changes in taxation, health care, energy, climate change, family services, education and housing. That shows the Democrats’ desire to achieve their goals while controlling the White House and Congress — a dominance that could well end after next year’s midterm elections.

The House vote also gave Biden a momentary taste of victory, and probably relief, during perhaps the rockiest period of his presidency. He’s been battered by falling approval numbers in polls, reflecting voters’ concerns over inflation, gridlocked supply chains and the persistent coronavirus pandemic, leaving Democrats worried that their legislative efforts are not breaking through to voters.

“If you are a parent, a senior, a child, a worker, if you're an American, this bill's for you,” said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., underscoring Democrats' efforts to impress the public.

Biden this week signed a $1 trillion package of highway and other infrastructure projects, another priority that overcame months of internal Democratic battling. The president has spent recent days promoting that measure around the country.

Final approval of the bigger bill, which had been expected Thursday, was delayed when Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., delivered an eight and one-half hour broadside criticizing Biden, Democrats and the bill, the longest speech ever made in the House. When he finished his remarks near dawn, the House recessed briefly before resuming its work, dozens of members designating colleagues to cast their votes.

Standing and referring occasionally to a binder on his desk, McCarthy shouted and rasped hoarsely at times. Democrats sporadically booed and groaned as McCarthy glared back, underscoring partisan hostility only deepened by this week’s censure of Rep. Paul Gosar, R-Ariz., for threatening tweets aimed at Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y.

McCarthy, who hopes to become speaker if Republicans capture the chamber in next year’s elections, recited problems the country has faced under Biden, including inflation, China's rise and large numbers of immigrants crossing the Southwest border. “Yeah, I want to go back,” he said in mocking reference to the “Build Back Better” name Biden uses for the legislation.

House rules do not limit how long party leaders may speak. In 2018, Pelosi, minority leader at the time, held the floor for just over eight hours demanding action on immigration. Until McCarthy's speech, hers was the House's longest ever.

Friday's vote came after the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated that the package would worsen federal deficits by $160 billion over the coming decade. The agency also recalculated the measure’s 10-year price tag at $1.68 trillion, though that figure wasn’t directly comparable to a $1.85 trillion figure Democrats have been using.

The 2,100-page bill’s initiatives include bolstering child care assistance, creating free preschool, curbing seniors’ prescription drug costs and increasing efforts to slow climate change. Also included are tax credits to spur clean energy development, bolstered child care assistance and extended tax breaks for millions of families with children, lower-earning workers and people buying private health insurance.

Most of it would be paid for by tax increases on the wealthy, big corporations and companies doing business abroad.

The measure would provide $109 billion to create free preschool for 3- and 4-year-olds. There are large sums for home health care for seniors, new Medicare coverage for hearing and a new requirement for four weeks of paid family leave. The family leave program, however, was expected to be removed in the Senate, where it’s been opposed by Manchin.

There is also language to let the government issue work permits to millions of immigrants that would let them stay in the U.S. temporarily, and to save $297 billion by letting the government curb prescription drug costs. The fate of both those provisions is uncertain in the Senate, where the chamber’s nonpartisan parliamentarian enforces rules that limit provisions allowed in budget bills.

In one major but expected difference with the White House, the Congressional Budget Office estimated that the bill’s added $80 billion to increase IRS tax enforcement would let it collect $207 billion in new revenue over the coming decade. That meant net savings of $127 billion, well below the White House’s more optimistic $400 billion estimate.

In a scorekeeping quirk, CBO officially estimated that the overall legislation would drive up federal deficits by $367 billion over the coming decade. Agency guidelines require it to ignore IRS savings when measuring a bill’s deficit impact, but it acknowledged that when including the IRS savings, the measure would worsen budget shortfalls by a lower $160 billion.

Biden and other Democratic leaders have said the measure would pay for itself, largely through tax increases on the wealthy, big corporations and companies doing business abroad.

Both parties worry about deficits selectively. Republicans passed tax cuts in 2017 that worsened red ink by $1.9 trillion, while Democrats enacted a COVID-19 relief bill this year with that same price tag.

Republicans said the latest legislation would damage the economy, give tax breaks to some wealthy taxpayers and make government bigger and more intrusive. Drawing frequent GOP attacks was a provision boosting the limit on state and local taxes that people can deduct from federal taxes, which disproportionately helps top earners from high-tax coastal states.

After months of talks, Democrats were eager to begin selling the package back home. Lawmakers said they were planning 1,000 events around the country by year’s end to pitch the measure’s benefits to voters.

Facing uniform Republican opposition, Democrats could lose no more than three votes to prevail in the House, but moderates seemed reassured by CBO’s figures.

Florida Democratic Rep. Stephanie Murphy, a leading centrist, said she would back the measure after the latest numbers showed the legislation “is fiscally disciplined” and “has a lot of positive elements.”

Vice President Kamala Harris’ tie-breaking vote gives Democrats control of the 50-50 Senate. That leaves Democrats with zero votes to spare, giving enormous leverage to Manchin in upcoming bargaining. The altered bill would have to return to the House before going to Biden’s desk.

The nonpartisan private Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget, which preaches fiscal constraint, estimated that the bill’s overall cost would be nearly $5 trillion if Democrats hadn’t made some of its programs temporary. For example, tax credits for children and low-earning workers are extended for just one year, making their price tags appear lower, even though the party would like those programs to be permanent.

___

AP Congressional Correspondent Lisa Mascaro and reporter Farnoush Amiri contributed to this report.

Post edited by mickeyrat on

Holy word salad!  Can I buy an paragraph indent?
    mrussel1 said:
    new android update is fucking up pasting.

trying find where to correct it

mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    new android update is fucking up pasting.

trying find where to correct it

Looks fixed now. 
     dont know. may be how firefox interacts now.   tried quoting you and it it screwed up the quote boxes.... 

• Biden to transfer power to Harris while under anesthesia during colonoscopy (msn.com)

On the other hand....

Trump refused anesthesia for colonoscopy to avoid handing control to Pence, new book claims (yahoo.com)

Can you imagine being THAT power hungry that you'd stay awake for a procedure that everyone else goes under the gas for? Pretty insane even by Trump standards. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Biden to transfer power to Harris while under anesthesia during colonoscopy (msn.com)

On the other hand....

Trump refused anesthesia for colonoscopy to avoid handing control to Pence, new book claims (yahoo.com)

Can you imagine being THAT power hungry that you'd stay awake for a procedure that everyone else goes under the gas for? Pretty insane even by Trump standards. 

He's a petty child, no doubt.

But does everyone go under for a colonoscopy? I had one when I had some stomach pains and I got to watch the video feed live. Of course I was in my 30s, if that matters.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin

Biden to have routine colonoscopy, transfer power to Harris
    By ZEKE MILLER
    25 mins ago

BETHESDA, Md. (AP) — President Joe Biden will briefly transfer power to Vice President Kamala Harris on Friday when he undergoes a “routine colonoscopy" at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the White House said.

Biden drove early Friday to the medical center in the Washington suburbs for his first routine physical exam as president. Press secretary Jen Psaki said Biden would be under anesthesia during the procedure and would transfer power to Harris.

“As was the case when President George W. Bush had the same procedure in 2002 and 2007, and following the process set out in the Constitution, President Biden will transfer power to the Vice President for the brief period of time when he is under anesthesia," she said. "The Vice President will work from her office in the West Wing during this time.”

Biden, 78, had his last full exam in December 2019, when doctors found the former vice president to be “healthy, vigorous” and “fit to successfully execute the duties of the Presidency," according to a doctor’s report at the time. Biden, who turns 79 on Saturday, is the oldest person to serve as president, and interest in his health has been high since he declared his candidacy for the White House in 2019.

OnWis97 said:
    Biden to transfer power to Harris while under anesthesia during colonoscopy (msn.com)

On the other hand....

But does everyone go under for a colonoscopy? I had one when I had some stomach pains and I got to watch the video feed live. Of course I was in my 30s, if that matters.

knocked me out for mine.... had to have a driver for the ride home

OnWis97 said:

On the other hand....

buddy of mine in his 40's has one every two years. he's drugged and happy, but not out. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97 said:

On the other hand....

I'm not sure. But the very idea that Trump was afraid to give up "power" for like two days is hilarious. What power? What would Pence do in those two days or so that wouldn't be authorized by Trump? Harris has "presidential power" right now. What does that mean? Is she going to get to sit in the Oval Office chair for a few days? Maybe. Is she going to do anything that Biden wouldn't have instructed her to do? No. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:

What about opening new oil and gas leases. Something tells me that Big Oil here would be able to call their buddies over seas to bring up production if the administration were seen as a "friend" to oil and gas.  I'm not convinced that the stalls in production aren't meant to make Biden or other Green thinking and forward looking leaders look bad.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    wannabe authoritarians don't cede power under any circumstances. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    OnWis97 said:

On the other hand....

I'm not sure. But the very idea that Trump was afraid to give up "power" for like two days is hilarious. What power? What would Pence do in those two days or so that wouldn't be authorized by Trump? Harris has "presidential power" right now. What does that mean? Is she going to get to sit in the Oval Office chair for a few days? Maybe. Is she going to do anything that Biden wouldn't have instructed her to do? No. 
    Oh, yeah. If that was his rationale, then it's pitiful and kinda funny.

Pence would have totally outlawed making America great again.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    he would have changed it to MAMA - Make American Mother Again
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    Off Topic re paragraphs.  Get back to me after reading the original scroll of On The Road.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    OnWis97 said:

On the other hand....

two days? More like an hour right?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    OnWis97 said:

On the other hand....

well, through recovery time

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:

On the other hand....

pretty sure that authority just lasts as long as they are unconscious
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

it is about biden, but when you complain about shit about biden but were silent during trump about exact same things (that were actually applicable with trump), pointing out the hypocrisy is not making this about trump, it's pointing out inconsistencies. 
    You don't know what you're talking about. Just because I didn't come to a Pearl Jam message board and complain about Trump does not mean that I wasn't bringing up the issues I have with Trump. Trump is gone. It's time to discuss the current president and get over the last one.

things don't magically start from scratch in politics. the old guy is relevant to the new guy. always has been. but i guess it's time to "move on" when you just want to bitch. 
    At some point the old is no longer relevant to the new guy but TDS has a grip on too many people. Let it go Elsa

Tell that to the old guy who refuses to admit he lost, continues to do whatever he can to undermine the new guy, and is all but assured to be running again in 2024.

Sorry bud, I know the Trump comparisons are not favorable for you, but they are relevant and will absolutely continue. Get used to it. 
    Just as I know the Biden criticism isn't favorable for you but it's going to be a long 3 years. Hopefully they'll go better than the last 9 months but the fact of the matter is that America is not happy with the direction the country is headed. The BBB plan, if passed, is most likely going to increase inflation. Biden told us that the money used in the BBB is free but there are already studies showing that their numbers are incorrect. https://www.crfb.org/blogs/build-back-better-cost-would-double-extensions

Inflation is out of control and spending more money will only do harm. We need to get government spending under control and the BBB plan is not going to do us any favors. Biden should be very worried about spending more money when inflation is at a 40 year high with no end in sight. Biden may not have the direct ability to gas prices but what he does will affect the inflation issue.
  • mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:

On the other hand....

pretty sure that authority just lasts as long as they are unconscious
    Well if that's the case, Harris has been the president since January! 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:

Just as I know the Biden criticism isn't favorable for you but it's going to be a long 3 years. Hopefully they'll go better than the last 9 months but the fact of the matter is that America is not happy with the direction the country is headed. The BBB plan, if passed, is most likely going to increase inflation. Biden told us that the money used in the BBB is free but there are already studies showing that their numbers are incorrect. https://www.crfb.org/blogs/build-back-better-cost-would-double-extensions

Inflation is out of control and spending more money will only do harm. We need to get government spending under control and the BBB plan is not going to do us any favors. Biden should be very worried about spending more money when inflation is at a 40 year high with no end in sight. Biden may not have the direct ability to gas prices but what he does will affect the inflation issue.
    again, his approval rating is higher than Trump's ever was. so this "america is not happy with where things are headed" is nonsense. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD