*** GUNS N' ROSES ***

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited July 2021
    Zod said:
    It did feel like GNR has their demand stuck between arenas and stadiums.  They can easily sell out an arena, but they're leaving money on floor. On the flip side if they play a stadium outside the biggest cities, they don't sell out.  What do you do when your demand is 30000 or 40000 tickets.  10000 or 20000 bigger than an arena but 10 or 20000 less than a smaller stadium.

I kind of like that GNR went for some stadiums.  No issue getting tickets.

I do agree it'll be tough to keep that up at the priced they were charging.   Probably settle into a hybrid model of Arenas with some stadiums mixed in for the super big US cities.

I do wonder if they'll ever put out new music.  As fun as the shows are Axl doesn't really sound like his AFD or UYI self.  I am curious if they can pull it off.
    play multiple nights. 

I've read they've been writing. but that was pre-pandemic and we all know what a perfectionist Axl is, and how long CD took to release. hopefully being in collaboration again would change that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Zod said:
    It did feel like GNR has their demand stuck between arenas and stadiums.  They can easily sell out an arena, but they're leaving money on floor. On the flip side if they play a stadium outside the biggest cities, they don't sell out.  What do you do when your demand is 30000 or 40000 tickets.  10000 or 20000 bigger than an arena but 10 or 20000 less than a smaller stadium.

I do agree it'll be tough to keep that up at the priced they were charging.   Probably settle into a hybrid model of Arenas with some stadiums mixed in for the super big US cities.

I do wonder if they'll ever put out new music.  As fun as the shows are Axl doesn't really sound like his AFD or UYI self.  I am curious if they can pull it off.
    play multiple nights. 

I've read they've been writing. but that was pre-pandemic and we all know what a perfectionist Axl is, and how long CD took to release. hopefully being in collaboration again would change that. 

lol.. these bands aren't getting any younger, and Axl's voice can already be a struggle.  I find the "more nights" argument to not always be a great one.  Mostly because I don't think the solution for most older bands is to spend more time on the road.  As they get older it becomes... how can be we play in front of as many fans as possible with the least amount of dates...
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

play multiple nights. 

lol.. these bands aren't getting any younger, and Axl's voice can already be a struggle.  I find the "more nights" argument to not always be a great one.  Mostly because I don't think the solution for most older bands is to spend more time on the road.  As they get older it becomes... how can be we play in front of as many fans as possible with the least amount of dates...
    yeah I suppose you're right. his rendition of Black Hole Sun was proof enough of that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Yep. I've seen Slash a few times with Myles Kennedy singing. I know the GN'R tunes with Axl aren't going to sound as good. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

play multiple nights. 

Gosh, do you have any examples of that, where we can all identify?
    I hate stadium shows.  Unfortunately that's how it works with some bands.  The Stones are a great example.  90% of seats in a stadium are worse than the worst arena seat. 
    mrussel1 said:
    I hate stadium shows.  Unfortunately that's how it works with some bands.  The Stones are a great example.  90% of seats in a stadium are worse than the worst arena seat. 
    a buddy from Vancouver was here on vacation and he was at one of the Seattle home shows. he said he literally couldn't even see the band (without help of the big screens) on stage he was so far away. what's the point?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mrussel1 said:
    a buddy from Vancouver was here on vacation and he was at one of the Seattle home shows. he said he literally couldn't even see the band (without help of the big screens) on stage he was so far away. what's the point?
    I'm with you.  I was lucky enough to be in the pit both nights in Seattle and at Missoula.  I would not have made the trip if I was in any of the seats.  I don't mind ampitheaters, but I love arena shows.  They are the best and it's not close for me. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    So they played a new song at Fenway?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    if you are referring to Absurd, it's not technically new. they haven't played it in 20 years, and it used to be knows as Silkworms
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dankind said:
    if you are referring to Absurd, it's not technically new. they haven't played it in 20 years, and it used to be knows as Silkworms
    Ah. Saw a bad headline. 

More big whoop. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    edited August 2021
    Formlerly known as Silkworms. Played in 2001.

Studio version of the new version with the new name:

https://youtu.be/Qx3RfdAdCpQ
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Formlerly known as Silkworms. Played in 2001.

Studio version of the new version with the new name:

https://youtu.be/Qx3RfdAdCpQ
    dankind said:

big whoop. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Yeah, play It's So Easy twice instead.
    tough crowd
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Love the riff....vocal style doesn't work for me.  Could have been a much better song overall
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Weird hearing Axl try a british accent (?). Guess The Prodigy was a big influence in the end of the 90s for him...

Sounds like he tries to sing it Firestarter-style. 

I dig the aggressive sound of it though.

But they should have released Hard Skool instead. They have been soundchecking that one also, at all the three shows of their tour.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    It seems like at this point they would be better off reworking something to be slower and softer. Try to accommodate Axl's voice as best they can. No rocker from 20 years ago is going to sound great today given the limitations. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    show day!!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyrat said:
    show day!!!!!
    HOPING

FOR 

HARD SKOOL.

For not being able to sing anymore, It's cool to see in closeups Axl actually giving it all with his limitations. 
    mickeyrat said:
    show day!!!!!
    Where is it?
  • mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    show day!!!!!
    Where is it?
    Detroit
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    show day!!!!!
    Where is it?
    Detroit
    Nice.  I saw them at the Silverdome with Metallica and Faith. You probably weren't born,  lucky bastard.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    mrussel1 said:

Stadium shows are great if you're up front, and yes they kind of suck when you're sitting very very far away :(  We generally have a get good tickets or bust mantra on stadium shows...
  • ABSURD or OLÉ

Which one is the best?
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    show day!!!!!
    Where is it?
    Detroit
    Nice.  I saw them at the Silverdome with Metallica and Faith. You probably weren't born,  lucky bastard.
    I was at that Silverdome show as well! Still have the ticket stub somewhere.  I hardly remember the show, smoked too much of the Devil's lettuce.  The only thing I recall was that there was a super long break between Metallica and GNR's set.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    show day!!!!!
    Where is it?
    Detroit
    I was at that Silverdome show as well! Still have the ticket stub somewhere.  I hardly remember the show, smoked too much of the Devil's lettuce.  The only thing I recall was that there was a super long break between Metallica and GNR's set.
    Yeah there was.  It was also weird that Metallica played during the daylight so the whole dome was bright. It was kind of strange, almost like an outdoor show.  If I remember, that was a show where the guitar tech had to play for Hetfield because of the burned arm.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    show day!!!!!
    Where is it?

Comerica Park
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited August 2021

Post edited by mickeyrat on

Nice!  Enjoy the show!