Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• beano.79beano.79 Posts: 634
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

33c here today, too hot for me so I waited until sun set. Combine harvester was kicking up a dust too which made for a dusty mile but a cool photo.
    Nice photo. It has been too hot here as well. I surrendered to the treadmill twice this week. I am going to try to get outside tomorrow morning. The temperature won't be so bad, but it depends on the humidity. How is the training going?

It's going well thanks! Can be a slog at times but coming out of a rest after the 50 and building back up so feeling a little fresher. Just 6 more weeks of training before we taper.
    Awesome!! I am really excited for you for the big day. I like hearing about the training. I ran outside today. It was not as humid as last week, but still fairly humid. I managed to keep my time pretty good, but based on the forecast will likely be on the treadmill on Wednesday. Are you using a treadmill at all in your training?

I don't, but not to say I wouldn't. I just don't have access to one as I don't use the gym. One day might buy one. It's rare that we have extremes of weather that make it un-runable here though. We might get 1 week per year like yesterday around 33c. And in the winter it's rarely below freezing during the day. I do love being outside
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    edited July 2021
    Been real busy and finally got the time to run long enough to justify wearing the hydration vest. If yall remember, I thought it was odd that an XL felt like a better fit at the store as I usually wear everything large. Well, I tried running with it on with chest bladders filled... I would never know how it actually feels, but I would imagine that's what boobs feel like while running. Too much movement. REI was great though and swapped it with a large. Took it out for a 10-piece this afternoon and it is pretty sweet. It was 80 outside and the vest didn't make it feel worse at all. Breathes real well, no rub, and plenty room for stuff too. So much better than those damn running fanny pack in terms of carrying shit like my big-ass phone etc. 10/10. Lol 

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited July 2021
    Nice run!
    Today was actually the first time I carried both of the liquid bladders in the vest.  Worked ok...a bit of rub on the old nips, lol, but nothing too bad.  Perhaps on much longer runs I'll notice it more.

Tried to do the 5/5/5 approach to the half marathon distance today....but by the 5km part where I'm meant to go all out, going all out was not very fast.  The last mile was slow as fuck, just out of energy.  Not hot yet today but still super humid and that was a bit tough.
    Not an awful time, though.  A good memory to think that in 2019 I ran my first half in a race environment and was dead at the end, and now I'm running it solo, faster, and feel pretty good.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Good running lads!👌 

I feel like I'm running with boobs with or without the pack 😂 but I get what you mean, It sometimes takes me a moment to adjust the bungee just right to decrease bounce but not hug to tight
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Nice run!
    Today was actually the first time I carried both of the liquid bladders in the vest.  Worked ok...a bit of rub on the old nips, lol, but nothing too bad.  Perhaps on much longer runs I'll notice it more.

Tried to do the 5/5/5 approach to the half marathon distance today....but by the 5km part where I'm meant to go all out, going all out was not very fast.  The last mile was slow as fuck, just out of energy.  Not hot yet today but still super humid and that was a bit tough.
    Not an awful time, though.  A good memory to think that in 2019 I ran my first half in a race environment and was dead at the end, and now I'm running it solo, faster, and feel pretty good.

Excellent. Nice half. I am sure you feel great knowing how far you have come in the past few years. I know I do. I didn’t do my run today. I have family in town so have been busy with them. But the weather here was perfect. Not too much humidity. I did do about 10 miles of walking the past two days with them. So that will make up for some of my missed run. Back on track Monday. 
    beano.79 said:
    Good running lads!👌 

I feel like I'm running with boobs with or without the pack 😂 but I get what you mean, It sometimes takes me a moment to adjust the bungee just right to decrease bounce but not hug to tight
    I am always running with boobs - so no sympathy here  ;)
  • reditalianreditalian Posts: 327
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    I'm training for a marathon in Oct in Ann Arbor. Anyone else running in that one?

No, not for that one.  Have you run marathon(s) before?
    Saw that you are a Goggins fan -- as a fellow fan I am sure reading Can't Hurt Me while training will crank up that training a few levels.
    How are you training?

Love having another person here to join our encouragement for each other's running desires.

Speaking of, @Spiritual_Chaos is it almost time to start back up for you?
    I have run a couple but not in 10 years so it's been fun ramping back up to that level. I went on the runners world website and they have programs set up for depending fitness level. My goal is to qualify for Boston. Yes Goggins ramps up the internal intensity for sure lol.

Awesome, congrats on getting back to it.
    If you are in the standard Pearl Jam Fan age range I am guessing you need to be sub 3h20m (male) or 3h50m (female) to qualify.  I am a slow runner and to qualify I would have to pretty much run as fast as I can run a mile, about 26 times in a row.  :lol:      
    Props to you for your speed! 
    Is your goal to qualify for Boston in your first Marathon back?

Very interesting to see the different goals we all have -- they are all meaningful and drive us to put in the work to get there, which (for my thoughts) is the point of setting goals!
    Thanks! You're bang on with my age, I'm 42 so yeah sub 3hr20min. Thank you! That is my goal but the training is just ramping up now so we'll see in a month if it's still the same lol. 100% agree with you. On the days even Goggins can't motivate me I just think about Boston and letting my kids down if I don't make it. That's not what they would think but that's what I tell myself they would think lol
    That's a great goal 👍 and welcome to the place where it's cool to tell us about the stuff nobody else understands or gives a shit about 😂
    Hahaha thanks! this might turn into my favorite spot in the forum
    Welcome!! The few of us that post regularly like it here. I am the non-competitive runner compared to the rest of you all. But, I still find it motivating to share. Whatever works, right? Good luck with your training. Running the Boston would be amazing.

Thanks! it's nice find a thread like this, most people just think I'm crazy. Yes it would be amazing. I'm sure it's more a pipe dream then anything but I'll give it the old college try.
    There's no I in team, but there's me.

"0035 EVENFLOW PSYCHOS

"I'm George Bush and my son's an asshole" 08/03/2000

Don't stop wen you're tired, stop when you're done
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    GlowGirl said:
    Nice run!

Excellent. Nice half. I am sure you feel great knowing how far you have come in the past few years. I know I do. I didn’t do my run today. I have family in town so have been busy with them. But the weather here was perfect. Not too much humidity. I did do about 10 miles of walking the past two days with them. So that will make up for some of my missed run. Back on track Monday. 
    Hope the visits are fun!

GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    Good running lads!👌 

I am always running with boobs - so no sympathy here  ;)

:lol:

This weekend was 8 and 16 miles. 6 weeks building back up to a peak of 18/30. Then a 2 week taper to the big day 😬 it's really gone as well as we could hope to this point 🤞
    Awesome!
    Knees/ankles all good for you both?

I have to get my old ass out to push the mower for about 90 mins.  My body just wants another hot tub.  :lol:.  
    beano.79 said:
    This weekend was 8 and 16 miles. 6 weeks building back up to a peak of 18/30. Then a 2 week taper to the big day 😬 it's really gone as well as we could hope to this point 🤞
    Awesome!! It’s great to hear about all your progress. I will be remotely cheering you on during the big race 👏👏
    edited July 2021
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:
    Awesome!! It’s great to hear about all your progress. I will be remotely cheering you on during the big race 👏👏
    I believe there will be a link to track us in the race. If you're interested in very slow moving dots 😂😂
    Post edited by beano.79 on
    Awesome!
    Knees/ankles all good for you both?

I have to get my old ass out to push the mower for about 90 mins.  My body just wants another hot tub.  :lol:.  
    Yea fine, we did worry a little that the 50 miler would present some niggles but all good 🤞 

Luckily my lawn takes 10 mins to whip over! 
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    Nice run!

Your "not an awful time" is my goal. Lol
    Nice run!

Your "not an awful time" is my goal. Lol
    You were ahead of that pace, so you can beat that goal, which is great!

This should not make a person as excited as it does, me.

I'm not a fan of their color options (have a wide shoe size limits them even more) but look forward to running in them

I'm not a fan of their color options (have a wide shoe size limits them even more) but look forward to running in them

😍 I went for the 2E width with my most recent pair of 1080's. I just love running in these shoes. As bit of a hefty heel striker they're perfect for me.
    beano.79 said:

😍 I went for the 2E width with my most recent pair of 1080's. I just love running in these shoes. As bit of a hefty heel striker they're perfect for me.
    I think I would like a 4E on the right foot and a 2E on the left to accommodate the brace but I'm not buying two pairs, lol.

I wish I could try a bunch of different types.  I really like these but who knows how many others I might also love.  

Enjoy the new shoes. I have the opposite problem in that my feet are really narrow. I have found that Asics work well for me. I have that problem with a lot of shoes where my foot slides forward. It seems that there are more options for wide shoes than narrow shoes. Not much selection there.

GlowGirl said:

Enjoy the new shoes. I have the opposite problem in that my feet are really narrow. I have found that Asics work well for me. I have that problem with a lot of shoes where my foot slides forward. It seems that there are more options for wide shoes than narrow shoes. Not much selection there.

Interesting - do they have narrow sizes or is it just the way the shoes are made?

• FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    GlowGirl said:

On’s tend to be a narrower shoe. Check them out if you haven’t already, might end up being a good fit.
    GlowGirl said:

Interesting - do they have narrow sizes or is it just the way the shoes are made?

I haven’t fully explored the running shoes but many other women’s shoes seem to come mostly in regular width or wide. My foot isn’t so narrow that I can’t get away with regular shoes for most shoes. But I just have to tie them tight. I ended up with ASICS because when I read the reviews there were a lot of complaints that the shoe was too narrow. So they were a perfect fit for me. 

FiveBelow said:
    GlowGirl said:

On’s tend to be a narrower shoe. Check them out if you haven’t already, might end up being a good fit.
    Thanks. I will check those out. 
    Not sure what was up this morning but about thought I was going to puke and fall over around 9 miles, was a struggle to get the 15 miles in, but I gave the balls a tug and finished....albeit a minute a mile slower than last weekend's run.

Ran all over - sort of looks like the big dipper & the little dipper.

Not sure what was up this morning but about thought I was going to puke and fall over around 9 miles, was a struggle to get the 15 miles in, but I gave the balls a tug and finished....albeit a minute a mile slower than last weekend's run.

Nice run. But maybe you were pushing yourself too hard. Did you monitor your heart rate. It may have gotten up too high, or you got dehydrated.  But great you were able to finish. I did my 5 miles today. The weather here was great for running. I hope you are feeling better now and enjoying your pool and hot tub. Great day for that. 
    GlowGirl said:

Nice run. But maybe you were pushing yourself too hard. Did you monitor your heart rate. It may have gotten up too high, or you got dehydrated.  But great you were able to finish. I did my 5 miles today. The weather here was great for running. I hope you are feeling better now and enjoying your pool and hot tub. Great day for that. 
    Good work!

Yeah, my heart rate was ok.  Pushing yourself too hard is part of the gig, right?  :lol:.      That is why I got the watch initially, though, so that I could make sure I wasn't giving myself a MI.
    GlowGirl said:

Good work!

Yeah, my heart rate was ok.  Pushing yourself too hard is part of the gig, right?  :lol:.      That is why I got the watch initially, though, so that I could make sure I wasn't giving myself a MI.
    Good. I finally got a Fitbit last week to monitor my heart rate. For my run today I was at peak heart rate zone for 60% of my run and in cardio zone for 40% of my run. That seems ok. My run on Monday had me at my peak heart rate for 83% of my run. That may be pushing it. But I am not sure. I don’t know enough about it. 
    Find out what the danger zone is and sorry about that....I wouldn't worry about peak/cardio too much.
    Guys.... I'm using the race to raise a little money for my daughter's school, they have been incredible through the pandemic. Would it be innapropriate to share it here?