Let’s see those pedals?

Comments

• DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I dig the Strymon stuff I’ve used. El Cap and Blue Sky are about as good as it gets for those sounds on pedal format. My Volante is a beast and the Nightsky is much more than just a soundscape tool, one of my favorite verbs I’ve owned and I’m not scoring any movies any time soon. So easy to get lost in just the quality of sounds.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    DewieCox said:
    I dig the Strymon stuff I’ve used. El Cap and Blue Sky are about as good as it gets for those sounds on pedal format. My Volante is a beast and the Nightsky is much more than just a soundscape tool, one of my favorite verbs I’ve owned and I’m not scoring any movies any time soon. So easy to get lost in just the quality of sounds.
    Oh yeah man. It's great sounding gear for sure. A buddy of mine uses the Big Sky, Flint, Dig, El Capistan and Iridium on his board along with a bunch of other top tier effects. 

It comes down to simplicity for me. The Big Sky has what, 300 presets? Tons of great tones for spacey, ambient stuff, which is really his style. 

I'm more of a dirty rock and roll player myself so the Strymon stuff isn't really aimed at me anyway. 

That Flint has the best sounding harmonic tremolo I've ever heard. Ever.

Didn't mean to knock it! No offense intended!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Rebuilding after a sell off a couple years ago.  Was looking for something that wasn’t the usual verb.  This thing has a wide range of tone and definitely gets the outboard tube reverb sound right.  In the past I’d been happy with the Malekko Spring Chicken which is now discontinued and the Catalinbread Topanga.  Both great pedals, but I felt like trying something new.  Glad I did, it sounds as good as it looks.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    static111 said:
    Rebuilding after a sell off a couple years ago.  Was looking for something that wasn’t the usual verb.  This thing has a wide range of tone and definitely gets the outboard tube reverb sound right.  In the past I’d been happy with the Malekko Spring Chicken which is now discontinued and the Catalinbread Topanga.  Both great pedals, but I felt like trying something new.  Glad I did, it sounds as good as it looks.
    Nice! Looks good!

I've seen a fair amount of their pedals but no firsthand experience. 
    dudeman said:
    static111 said:
    Nice! Looks good!

I've seen a fair amount of their pedals but no firsthand experience. 
    I went out on a limb based on some demos on YouTube.  Glad I did.  There is one by a famous pedal reviewer named Andy and at the end he wails on Welfare Mother’s by Crazy Horse and that sealed the deal for me! 

Next on my list is a fuzz pedal, I’m looking for something that will get that nasty garage rock sound that is warm and not too ice picky. Any recommendations would be great.
    Scio me nihil scire

dudeman said:
    i watched a handful of youtube videos that compared several power supplies and that guided my decision as much as anything else.

mainly the videos, the inclusion of cables and adapters, the ability to power 15 pedals, and the adjustable voltage is what i based my decision on.
    Thanks for that. That's how I arrived at the Walrus too. I have exactly 15 powered devices on my guitar board and just about every other brand would require me to buy two separate power supplies. 

I'm excited to get this wired up when it gets here. Right now, all of my pedals are daisy chained with 1-Spots. It works well and I don't have noise issues in my house but I'll start playing outside of my home pretty soon. 

I don't have any interest in Strymon either. Actually, just about all digital pedals I tend to stay away from. Right now, all of the pedals on my guitar board are analog and they're all American made too. That's another thing that led me to the Phoenix. 

Thanks for the input!
    you're welcome man. i hope you like it. i would recommend it to anybody even though it was the first one i tried. yes it was a little more expensive than the other options, but the way i figure it, i would rather pay a premium for something that is simple, reliable, and user friendly.

it sounds like it was meant to be with the exact number of outputs!

i thought about the need for multiple power supplies too. i wanted to have the ability to expand my board if need be. the holeyboard allows for it to be expanded, but i did not want to have to buy a 2nd power supply and attach it to the board, potentially have to deal with a 2nd power plug, etc.. 15 pedals would probably be the max i would ever want to use. 16 since by boss tuner can power another 9 volt pedal on its own if i were to get in a pinch and absolutely need to power a 16th pedal.

before i put this board together i had 9 pedals daisy chained on a 1 spot. i immediately noticed that my board sounded better when each pedal had its own power supply using the walrus. i think you will be able to tell a difference as well. especially when you start playing outside of the home. the best way i could describe it is with the 1 spot daisy chain it sounded like some of the pedals were "dying", if you know what i mean.

don't get me wrong. strymon is good stuff, but i do not like it because it requires over 120 MA and higher voltage, they are digital, and they are way too versatile and complex for my brain. i would rather have fewer knobs on something analog and just dial in from there. as i get older, simplicity wins. i do not have the energy to deal with something super complex. i just want something reliable that is easy to troubleshoot if i have an issue, and sounds good.

definitely let us know what you think of the phoenix.

i love how we are all sharing info and learning from each other on here. 
    Got the new power supply all mounted and wired up. Sounds pretty much like the daisy chain. Having clean power in my house helped the previous set up and I didn't have any issues with noise. Also, all of my pedals are pretty low current circuits. 

Honestly, I didn't expect there to be a night and day difference. It might be a little tiny bit quieter at loud volumes but the real benefits will be apparent when I play elsewhere. Also, I really like having the IEC power running into the board instead of the tiny 9v wire from the 1Spot.

Thanks for your input!
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    i watched a handful of youtube videos that compared several power supplies and that guided my decision as much as anything else.

mainly the videos, the inclusion of cables and adapters, the ability to power 15 pedals, and the adjustable voltage is what i based my decision on.
    Thanks for that. That's how I arrived at the Walrus too. I have exactly 15 powered devices on my guitar board and just about every other brand would require me to buy two separate power supplies. 

I'm excited to get this wired up when it gets here. Right now, all of my pedals are daisy chained with 1-Spots. It works well and I don't have noise issues in my house but I'll start playing outside of my home pretty soon. 

I don't have any interest in Strymon either. Actually, just about all digital pedals I tend to stay away from. Right now, all of the pedals on my guitar board are analog and they're all American made too. That's another thing that led me to the Phoenix. 

Thanks for the input!
    you're welcome man. i hope you like it. i would recommend it to anybody even though it was the first one i tried. yes it was a little more expensive than the other options, but the way i figure it, i would rather pay a premium for something that is simple, reliable, and user friendly.

i thought about the need for multiple power supplies too. i wanted to have the ability to expand my board if need be. the holeyboard allows for it to be expanded, but i did not want to have to buy a 2nd power supply and attach it to the board, potentially have to deal with a 2nd power plug, etc.. 15 pedals would probably be the max i would ever want to use. 16 since by boss tuner can power another 9 volt pedal on its own if i were to get in a pinch and absolutely need to power a 16th pedal.

before i put this board together i had 9 pedals daisy chained on a 1 spot. i immediately noticed that my board sounded better when each pedal had its own power supply using the walrus. i think you will be able to tell a difference as well. especially when you start playing outside of the home. the best way i could describe it is with the 1 spot daisy chain it sounded like some of the pedals were "dying", if you know what i mean.

don't get me wrong. strymon is good stuff, but i do not like it because it requires over 120 MA and higher voltage, they are digital, and they are way too versatile and complex for my brain. i would rather have fewer knobs on something analog and just dial in from there. as i get older, simplicity wins. i do not have the energy to deal with something super complex. i just want something reliable that is easy to troubleshoot if i have an issue, and sounds good.

Got the new power supply all mounted and wired up. Sounds pretty much like the daisy chain. Having clean power in my house helped the previous set up and I didn't have any issues with noise. Also, all of my pedals are pretty low current circuits. 

Honestly, I didn't expect there to be a night and day difference. It might be a little tiny bit quieter at loud volumes but the real benefits will be apparent when I play elsewhere. Also, I really like having the IEC power running into the board instead of the tiny 9v wire from the 1Spot.

Thanks for your input!
    no problem man. hopefully you will be able to tell a difference to be able to justify the expense. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for your input!
    no problem man. hopefully you will be able to tell a difference to be able to justify the expense. 
    Actually, a difference made itself known today. My chorus pedal is making funky noises when I turn it on. The sound is there even with the strings muted. No other pedals turned on and the noise changes with the Rate control on the pedal.

I swapped out cables, experimented with placement and put another chorus pedal in its place which doesn't have any issues. 

I also re-ran the 1-Spot daisy chain like I had before and there is no noise.

Proximity interference from one of the transformers in the Phoenix and that particular pedal is my guess. Never seen anything like it. 

Ended up using a different chorus pedal on that board and sticking the problem pedal on a smaller board with a daisy chain. Works great!
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for your input!
    Actually, a difference made itself known today. My chorus pedal is making funky noises when I turn it on. The sound is there even with the strings muted. No other pedals turned on and the noise changes with the Rate control on the pedal.

I swapped out cables, experimented with placement and put another chorus pedal in its place which doesn't have any issues. 

Proximity interference from one of the transformers in the Phoenix and that particular pedal is my guess. Never seen anything like it. 

Ended up using a different chorus pedal on that board and sticking the problem pedal on a smaller board with a daisy chain. Works great!
    that is strange. i have not had any noise issues at all with this new board. are you plugged into the proper power outlet from the phoenix? I know some of those modulation pedals require more mA and if they are not getting enough juice they can act up. maybe try plugging it into the i think 300 mA designed for higher power needs such as a strymon.

i do have some pedals that are kind of noisy, like the reverb side of my henretta trembletank that just makes a loud hiss when strings are muted, but per the pedal builder that is part of the design. if i am going through an amp that is set to be a little cleaner it is not as pronounced. but if i use that pedal with my JMP it is too noisy. i ended up having to take it off of the board i use with that JMP.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for your input!

that is strange. i have not had any noise issues at all with this new board. are you plugged into the proper power outlet from the phoenix? I know some of those modulation pedals require more mA and if they are not getting enough juice they can act up. maybe try plugging it into the i think 300 mA designed for higher power needs such as a strymon.

i do have some pedals that are kind of noisy, like the reverb side of my henretta trembletank that just makes a loud hiss when strings are muted, but per the pedal builder that is part of the design. if i am going through an amp that is set to be a little cleaner it is not as pronounced. but if i use that pedal with my JMP it is too noisy. i ended up having to take it off of the board i use with that JMP.
    Oh yes, plugged into the 300mA spot. The pedal is analog and draws little current. Took everything apart again last night and even when it is the only thing plugged in, it is still noisy.

Tried moving the pedal and the Phoenix as far from each other as possible but still noisy. 

My MXR Phase 95 is also much noisier with the Phoenix than it was daisy chained on the 1-Spot.

I emailed Walrus Audio to see if there is an issue with the transformers in some of these. I'll let you know what they say. 
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for your input!

Oh yes, plugged into the 300mA spot. The pedal is analog and draws little current. Took everything apart again last night and even when it is the only thing plugged in, it is still noisy.

Tried moving the pedal and the Phoenix as far from each other as possible but still noisy. 

My MXR Phase 95 is also much noisier with the Phoenix than it was daisy chained on the 1-Spot.

I emailed Walrus Audio to see if there is an issue with the transformers in some of these. I'll let you know what they say. 
    sounds good. i am at a loss.

which pedal is causing the issue again? is it an older or modern modulation pedal?

i wonder if there is an issue with bucket brigade type chips vs more modern chips.

keep us posted. will be interested to see what walrus says.

dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for your input!

which pedal is causing the issue again? is it an older or modern modulation pedal?

i wonder if there is an issue with bucket brigade type chips vs more modern chips.

It's actually two pedals. One is a CE-2 clone from BYOC and the other is an MXR Phase 95.

I spoke with Walrus Audio yesterday and they were very helpful and nice. The tech is researching the issue and he said he'd get back to me today with options/solutions. 

In the meantime, I swapped the chorus for my trusty Homebrew Electronics THC and that is working great. The other two phasers I have on my board are working fine with no noise issues. (They are a J Rockett Tranquilizer and a Blackout Effectors Sibling OTA Phaser.)

Both the CE-2 clone and Phase 95 sound terrific and have no noise when powered by the 1-Spot.
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for your input!

It's actually two pedals. One is a CE-2 clone from BYOC and the other is an MXR Phase 95.

I spoke with Walrus Audio yesterday and they were very helpful and nice. The tech is researching the issue and he said he'd get back to me today with options/solutions. 

In the meantime, I swapped the chorus for my trusty Homebrew Electronics THC and that is working great. The other two phasers I have on my board are working fine with no noise issues. (They are a J Rockett Tranquilizer and a Blackout Effectors Sibling OTA Phaser.)

Both the CE-2 clone and Phase 95 sound terrific and have no noise when powered by the 1-Spot.
    that blows my mind. maybe plug the 1 spot into the plug on the phoenix and power those 2 pedals with the 1 spot and the rest with the phoenix??

i know it is not ideal, but it may work and it may be easier than having to take the board apart, pull off the phoenix, unplug everything, etc.

i hear walrus has exceptional customer service. i forgot where i read that. maybe on here, or maybe online somewhere.

dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for your input!

that blows my mind. maybe plug the 1 spot into the plug on the phoenix and power those 2 pedals with the 1 spot and the rest with the phoenix??

i know it is not ideal, but it may work and it may be easier than having to take the board apart, pull off the phoenix, unplug everything, etc.

i hear walrus has exceptional customer service. i forgot where i read that. maybe on here, or maybe online somewhere.
    So far,that has been true. Excellent customer service experience with Walrus Audio. They are sending me a replacement Phoenix and a return label for the questionable one.

Nothing bad to say about the way I have been treated and they are really on top of things. Also, there is a very polite and professional, actual human being who answers the phone when you call them. It's sad that that is so rare any more but it makes all the difference in the world for customer service experience. 
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:
    dudeman said:

Thanks for the input!

Thanks for your input!

So far,that has been true. Excellent customer service experience with Walrus Audio. They are sending me a replacement Phoenix and a return label for the questionable one.

Nothing bad to say about the way I have been treated and they are really on top of things. Also, there is a very polite and professional, actual human being who answers the phone when you call them. It's sad that that is so rare any more but it makes all the difference in the world for customer service experience. 
    i am glad to hear they are making it right for you. kind of a pain in the ass for you, but at least they are sending you a new one in the event it is a product issue on their end.

these independent companies like walrus have to have good customer service or they will not survive. there are so many smaller companies competing for our business against each other and against the huge companies that they have to take care of the customer. hopefully the new unit will take care of the issue.

edited May 2021
    The replacement Phoenix showed up yesterday and preliminary testing shows that the problem pedals are dead silent with this new power supply. I'm in the process of rewiring everything and will test more once it's finished. 

So far, so good!
    Post edited by dudeman on
    edited May 2021
    This one is a BYOC Triangle Large Beaver. It's a clone of the original Triangle Big Muff as used by David Gilmour but with  a couple modifications. It has a Tone Stack bypass (X) and a 3-way mids switch (M) for flat, scooped or boosted midrange.

Really nails that "Comfortably Numb" lead tone when paired with chorus and a little delay. Fun and pretty easy to build too.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Anyone use a Dover Drive pedal?  I just ordered a used one.  Trying to get that Eric Johnson tone.
    edited May 2021
    Starting building a Klon clone last night.

Also, I picked up an EQD Night Wire v2. That thing is really expressive! It has qualities like a phaser, envelope filter and a really sweet sounding harmonic tremolo. It can be controlled in a number of ways and it's super fun to play with. 

This is my first experience with Earthquaker Devices. Feel like I'm late to the party. I have a feeling that an Afterneath or Ghost Echo will wind up on my board too. So far, I'm really impressed by this Night Wire!
    Finished with the Klone. This one is "Klonehenge".
    edited May 2021
    dudeman said:
    Finished with the Klone. This one is "Klonehenge".
    Dude ever thinking of doing byoc builds and selling them
    to others?  Seems like it could be a good cottage industry. You got nice looking boxes and graphics.
    Scio me nihil scire

Thanks! Yeah, I've thought about it and I'm not opposed to building the occasional pedal for someone, but I really don't have much extra time in my life. 

It would be difficult to do on a larger scale or to keep reasonable deadlines. Been putting in 75-80 hours a week for work and I have sacrificed sleep to build the ones I've made so far. 
    edited May 2021
    This is the current state of my guitar board. Waiting for a Voodoo Lab x4 to show up so I can replace the problematic Walrus Audio Phoenix power supply. 

I'll swap out a couple of things but I have to wait for better power. I bought a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 3 Plus, which is much nicer than the Walrus but it doesn't have quite enough outlets for me. At least it's easily expandable. 

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    This may be the best pedal I've bought in a long time ....

B)

Seriously, I wish I would have bought one these 20 years ago.  You can get them for under $15 and they make life so much better at home when playing and practicing.

Haven't posted here in a while. 

Acoustic board and new flanger. 
    edited July 2021

Electric board:

The Mister O has been moved to the acoustic board since this photo was taken. In its place is a Vick Audio Mount Pleasant OD (Modified Bluesbreaker circuit.)
    dudeman said:

Also, I picked up an EQD Night Wire v2. That thing is really expressive! It has qualities like a phaser, envelope filter and a really sweet sounding harmonic tremolo. It can be controlled in a number of ways and it's super fun to play with. 

This is my first experience with Earthquaker Devices. Feel like I'm late to the party. I have a feeling that an Afterneath or Ghost Echo will wind up on my board too. So far, I'm really impressed by this Night Wire!
    Just got a dispatch master, also late to the EQD 🎉 what a great f’n pedal. “Dead Man” in a box
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    dudeman said:

Just got a dispatch master, also late to the EQD 🎉 what a great f’n pedal. “Dead Man” in a box
    Nice! That is on my list of pedals to check out. 

I bought an Afterneath a while back too. That thing is next level awesome. There is an Andy demo where he nails Portishead using it and I was sold like 30 seconds in.
  • DE4173DE4173 Posts: 319
    1993: 11/22 Little Rock
    1996; 9/28 New York
    1997: 11/14 Oakland, 11/15 Oakland
    1998: 7/5 Dallas, 7/7 Albuquerque, 7/8 Phoenix, 7/10 San Diego, 7/11 Las Vegas
    2000: 10/17 Dallas
    2003: 4/3 OKC
    2012: 11/17 Tulsa(EV), 11/18 Tulsa(EV)
    2013: 11/16 OKC
    2014: 10/8 Tulsa
    2022: 9/20 OKC
    2023: 9/13 Ft Worth, 9/15 Ft Worth