• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,305
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    What optimism do you mean?  
    That you think the POOTWH Party is a lost cause and won’t amount to anything other than dying on the vine.
    Yes I do think that still.  Fundraising numbers don't change my mind on it.  I'm saying this is not a growing % of the population that ascribe to nativism, it's shrinking.  
    The power of the (Soon to be white) minority. Midterms will tell.
    If that power is not in red states, it matters very little in US elections Despite bungling a deadly pandemic, trump came within a certified millimeter of winning the election and the GOP was a handful of seats of winning the House. Let’s go ahead and defund the police and hand law enforcement over to meter maids. That should help in the midterms.
    Yes let’s blame those things rather than admit we have a racist problem and a racist party.
    If 2018 and 2020 taught us anything, Lerx is correct. Yeah there are a bunch of racists in the republican party. But shouting "defund the police" at the top of your lungs is only going to help them rise to power again. 
    The majority of people who vote for these racists will vote for the racists whether people are screaming defund the police or not.
    It wasn't the far left who won the house, senate, and presidency over the last few years. You scream "defund the police" and you lose a portion of the moderate democrats and independents who brought that party to power....while also firing up the very racist base you want to defeat. 

It's a fine line to walk, for sure. 
    I think the average moderate understands that there are problems with the way police act, particularly in how they relate to blacks. That said, I don’t think the average person understands that phrase and I think it scares them. I understand that “reform the police” sounds soft/pragmatic/slow but I think that is what would resonate. Ultimately, most of the people we need voting want continued police protection and that phrase scares them. It is frustrating to think about the long-haul that might be needed to improve policing in the United States and I hate the idea of telling black America to be patient while more of them are killed with impunity. But realistically, it’s the only possible path to improvement.  Scaring off moderate voters and making him a GQP the only party in power is going to be a disastrous results for everybody.

If George Floyd isn’t murdered, we don’t really know what would have happened but I suspect the 2020 wave would have been much of bluer.
    Yeah I agree. It's the phrase that is beyond ridiculous. It was music to Trump's mouth when it was first uttered last year. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,507
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    That you think the POOTWH Party is a lost cause and won’t amount to anything other than dying on the vine.
    Yes I do think that still.  Fundraising numbers don't change my mind on it.  I'm saying this is not a growing % of the population that ascribe to nativism, it's shrinking.  
    If that power is not in red states, it matters very little in US elections Despite bungling a deadly pandemic, trump came within a certified millimeter of winning the election and the GOP was a handful of seats of winning the House. Let’s go ahead and defund the police and hand law enforcement over to meter maids. That should help in the midterms.
    Yes let’s blame those things rather than admit we have a racist problem and a racist party.
    If 2018 and 2020 taught us anything, Lerx is correct. Yeah there are a bunch of racists in the republican party. But shouting "defund the police" at the top of your lungs is only going to help them rise to power again. 
    The majority of people who vote for these racists will vote for the racists whether people are screaming defund the police or not.
    It wasn't the far left who won the house, senate, and presidency over the last few years. You scream "defund the police" and you lose a portion of the moderate democrats and independents who brought that party to power....while also firing up the very racist base you want to defeat. 

I think the average moderate understands that there are problems with the way police act, particularly in how they relate to blacks. That said, I don’t think the average person understands that phrase and I think it scares them. I understand that “reform the police” sounds soft/pragmatic/slow but I think that is what would resonate. Ultimately, most of the people we need voting want continued police protection and that phrase scares them. It is frustrating to think about the long-haul that might be needed to improve policing in the United States and I hate the idea of telling black America to be patient while more of them are killed with impunity. But realistically, it’s the only possible path to improvement.  Scaring off moderate voters and making him a GQP the only party in power is going to be a disastrous results for everybody.

If George Floyd isn’t murdered, we don’t really know what would have happened but I suspect the 2020 wave would have been much of bluer.
    Yeah I agree. It's the phrase that is beyond ridiculous. It was music to Trump's mouth when it was first uttered last year. 
    It's pretty f'ing amazing how the democrats continually shoot themselves in the foot. 
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

It's pretty f'ing amazing how the democrats continually shoot themselves in the foot. 
    I've said this about a million times but republicans are so much better at branding and politics. If democrats would somehow be able to unite behind the simple goal of remaining in power like the republicans always do, they'll eventually get to accomplish the things they want to accomplish immediately. All too often they are unwilling to play the long game, instead choosing to fight amongst themselves until things blow up in their faces...or feet. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I've said this about a million times but republicans are so much better at branding and politics. If democrats would somehow be able to unite behind the simple goal of remaining in power like the republicans always do, they'll eventually get to accomplish the things they want to accomplish immediately. All too often they are unwilling to play the long game, instead choosing to fight amongst themselves until things blow up in their faces...or feet. lol
    it's always easier to brand fear than hope. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

My problem with a term like Police Protection is what are they protecting from? Usually they show up after the fact.  Some detectives break big cases, but the average cop spends about 2% of their time stopping actual violent crimes.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    I would imagine just a police presence in any given community probably "protects" the community through deterrence, no?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Oh man. Now we're up in arms about the phrase "protect and serve?" 

Wait till Tucker Carlson gets  his writers' hands on this one. lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I would imagine just a police presence in any given community probably "protects" the community through deterrence, no?
    Let’s look at crime statistics for neighborhoods with more police presence and less police presence and see what the economic and racial makeups of those districts are.  I think we will find that wealthy neighborhoods with less police presence somehow have less crime.  I will actually look up some info on this  and see if my conjectures are correct.  I’m not sure there is a correlation between police presence in a given area and deterrence of crime.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,749
    static111 said:
    Let’s look at crime statistics for neighborhoods with more police presence and less police presence and see what the economic and racial makeups of those districts are.  I think we will find that wealthy neighborhoods with less police presence somehow have less crime.  I will actually look up some info on this  and see if my conjectures are correct.  I’m not sure there is a correlation between police presence in a given area and deterrence of crime.

Wouldn't it make sense, though, that wealthy neighborhoods have less crime?  They are generally not as crowded.  Wealthy people have  more and better security systems.  Wealthy people are less apt to rob their neighbors.  The police they do have are better trained and have more experience because police with seniority are more likely to get jobs in wealthy neighborhoods. 
    Poor neighborhood, on the other hand, get the short end of the stick on everything from education to less well trained police.  They are an endless cycle of despair and inequity.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829

This phrase needs to be taken more seriously by the departments and the individual officers. The long game needs to be a culture that has people embracing protecting and serving, as opposed to power and intimidation. A cop should not respond to "how was your day?" by saying "ugh, I wasted my time helping helping some guy in a wheelchair get up a curb and waiting for a toe truck in the dark with a woman who was scared to be stranded alone."  They should embrace that. Maybe some do; I don't know, but it sure seems like a lot of them like the scaring/intimidating part a lot. It's said that power corrupts. So how do we take that sense of power away? How do they not do it for "power" but for "service.
    static111 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

My problem with a term like Police Protection is what are they protecting from? Usually they show up after the fact.  Some detectives break big cases, but the average cop spends about 2% of their time stopping actual violent crimes.  

That's almost neither here nor there, though.  People perceive police as protecting them. They want to know that if they call 911, someone's coming. And they want to know that if they get jumped, attacked, etc. someone will protect them.  In theory, it's a nice idea. Either way, you're never going to convert that middle-of-the-road person with things like "defund the police." I know it's more of a grass-roots phrase than a Democrat one, but really, the left needs some marketing help.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    OnWis97 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

In fairness, I honestly believe that the GOP has a much more genuine objective of doing everything for the power. So it's easier for them.  Do individual elected Dems like the power? Sure. But when there's no actual Dem movement to become the only party, it's going to be pretty tricky to move in that direction. Most of the GQP wants a one-party system. So it's easy for them to work towards.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:

This phrase needs to be taken more seriously by the departments and the individual officers. The long game needs to be a culture that has people embracing protecting and serving, as opposed to power and intimidation. A cop should not respond to "how was your day?" by saying "ugh, I wasted my time helping helping some guy in a wheelchair get up a curb and waiting for a toe truck in the dark with a woman who was scared to be stranded alone."  They should embrace that. Maybe some do; I don't know, but it sure seems like a lot of them like the scaring/intimidating part a lot. It's said that power corrupts. So how do we take that sense of power away? How do they not do it for "power" but for "service.

I would think the vast majority of police officers would not respond to that question the way you described. I would also assume that most of them are good people.  

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    This phrase needs to be taken more seriously by the departments and the individual officers. 
    1000%
  • Options
    static111 said:
    I actually had a former RCMP officer as a teacher once, and we had the discussion of "what's better for a neighbourhood: marked police cars or unmarked?". On one hand, the thinking is marked police cars give the feeling to the community of protection and deter potential crimes, while unmarked are potentially better at catching crime in the act. which is better?

of course, in many communities this falls flat since marked police cars probably cause more fear than a sense of relief. But generally the thinking is a 50/50 approach. 

I'm not sure you can really compare different communities; different demographics are going to require different approaches; rather just comparing what works in each individual community. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    static111 said:
    I actually had a former RCMP officer as a teacher once, and we had the discussion of "what's better for a neighbourhood: marked police cars or unmarked?". On one hand, the thinking is marked police cars give the feeling to the community of protection and deter potential crimes, while unmarked are potentially better at catching crime in the act. which is better?

of course, in many communities this falls flat since marked police cars probably cause more fear than a sense of relief. But generally the thinking is a 50/50 approach. 

I'm not sure you can really compare different communities; different demographics are going to require different approaches; rather just comparing what works in each individual community. 
    The point is police presence alone doesn’t protect anyone and for the most part cops show up after the fact.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

Wouldn't it make sense, though, that wealthy neighborhoods have less crime?  They are generally not as crowded.  Wealthy people have  more and better security systems.  Wealthy people are less apt to rob their neighbors.  The police they do have are better trained and have more experience because police with seniority are more likely to get jobs in wealthy neighborhoods. 
    Poor neighborhood, on the other hand, get the short end of the stick on everything from education to less well trained police.  They are an endless cycle of despair and inequity.
    This is a more well stated version of what I am trying to say.  

Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    static111 said:

The point is police presence alone doesn’t protect anyone and for the most part cops show up after the fact.
    yeah, I wasn't trying to say anything on its own is what works. But I do think their presence has a role in protecting. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,832
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,553
    I still don't know what is worse...

These crazy ignorant people who get elected?
    Or
    The people who vote for them...

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,513

Or

It is one thing to be a whack job and go around doing and saying stupid stuff. It is a whole lot of stupid to look at that person and say "Yeah, I really like what that person says!", and then vote for them and send money to their campaign. 
  • Options
    Fuck ya I'd throw some money in to see MTG vs. AOC. My bet is MTG destroys AOC. Unless AOC is allowed to use her teeth.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635

Or

It is one thing to be a whack job and go around doing and saying stupid stuff. It is a whole lot of stupid to look at that person and say "Yeah, I really like what that person says!", and then vote for them and send money to their campaign. 

Agree.
    For sure the idiots who vote for people like this wild animal MTG. 
    Still supporting her and and that sicko minor sexing MG. 
    MTG and MG would make a great presidential ticket....to some of these suckers.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,633
    Fuck ya I'd throw some money in to see MTG vs. AOC. My bet is MTG destroys AOC. Unless AOC is allowed to use her teeth.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited May 2021
    AOC’s donkey kick is particularly effective!  Green would get confused and punch herself in the face, but would probably win because she couldn’t be knocked out due to her thick skull and small brain.
    I would love to see this in an MTV celebrity death match fashion, ha
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,553
    And again (previously)...

Since-deleted video shows Marjorie Taylor Greene harassing Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's office during 2019 Capitol Hill visit https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/14/politics/kfile-marjorie-taylor-greene-alexandria-ocasio-cortez/index.html
  • Options

Or

Agree.
    The sad thing is that MANY people where I live would be thrilled to vote for that ticket.
  • Options
    So edgy. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,832
    middle school bully.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635

Or

Agree.
    The sad thing is that MANY people where I live would be thrilled to vote for that ticket.

I do believe that there are lots and lots of americans who are perfectly fine with a sex criminal being on their ticket.
    Oh wait....we just had a self admitted sex criminal as President for 4 years.

I guess I just live in a make believe world where people don't stand for this shit.

Real world = people not only stand for it, they stand and applaud for it.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Or

Agree.

I do believe that there are lots and lots of americans who are perfectly fine with a sex criminal being on their ticket.
    Oh wait....we just had a self admitted sex criminal as President for 4 years.

I guess I just live in a make believe world where people don't stand for this shit.

Real world = people not only stand for it, they stand and applaud for it.
    As long as they own the Libs, it is all good. The thing is I consider myself a moderate politically, and the amount of anger that goes back and forth between both ends of the spectrum blows me away.  
    Post edited by JeBurkhardt on