Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• beano.79beano.79 Posts: 635
    First 3 of 600 training miles over the next 16 weeks or so

My shortest run in months but I'm super pumped to get started.

Been running in fresh foam 1080v10, will be getting some v11 soon. And also tried out the fresh foam more V2... Reeeaaaally cushioned which I might appreciate being out hours in end.

Hope everyone's having a good week so far 🤙
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    So far, so good.  Cold yesterday, hot today.

3/600.  Looks like such a gap but you will make it up quickly, especially when you get to those long runs. 
    Are you training together, or only on the long runs?

Fresh Foam More V2 is a shoe?

I really do like the v11s I got...as much as I liked my Brooks, these are more comfortable.  Going to order another pair before too long...but if the more v2 is suggested, perhaps will look at that.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    So far, so good.  Cold yesterday, hot today.

3/600.  Looks like such a gap but you will make it up quickly, especially when you get to those long runs. 
    Are you training together, or only on the long runs?

Fresh Foam More V2 is a shoe?

I really do like the v11s I got...as much as I liked my Brooks, these are more comfortable.  Going to order another pair before too long...but if the more v2 is suggested, perhaps will look at that.
    I believe there's a V3 out now too. They don't seem to be as well stocked as the 1080s. My only concern is I have heard the outer sole wears a little quicker. As alot of my miles will be on grass and river trails it shouldn't be an issue.

Cold then hot seems to be a recurring theme for everyone at the moment! 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Good info - pretty much all of my miles are on hard surfaces so that would be a concern....
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,697
    beano.79 said:

Been running in fresh foam 1080v10, will be getting some v11 soon. And also tried out the fresh foam more V2... Reeeaaaally cushioned which I might appreciate being out hours in end.

Wow. Good luck with with the training. I am looking forward to hearing about your progress. Today I snuck in 4.5 miles right before I went to get my 2nd Covid vaccine. I can’t predict how I will feel over the next few days so thought I should at least get one run in before. The weather was also amazing. 
    Good info - pretty much all of my miles are on hard surfaces so that would be a concern....
    The 1080s have a blown rubber sole which seems pretty durable.. the more's are something called EVA (or something similar) I'll keep you updated on how they last. Very comfy shoe though
    Cool!
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

Wow. Good luck with with the training. I am looking forward to hearing about your progress. Today I snuck in 4.5 miles right before I went to get my 2nd Covid vaccine. I can’t predict how I will feel over the next few days so thought I should at least get one run in before. The weather was also amazing. 
    Congrats on being fully vax'd! 👏👏 And a solid run.. that's a successful day

My back to back for the weekend. Really need to get the longer runs down to around 12min pace (5 miles every hour) will take some getting used to the walk/run thing.
    Nice I like the back to back.
    Your average time this am was a bit faster than my fastest mile this morning.  Lol.  I am sure it is tough to slow down when you know you can run at that speed!

Cooling down from my morning session.
    90 mins running was a goal the PT set for me when he let me start running again and this was the first day I did it.  Right on schedule, which feels good.  (My muscles do not feel good but that is what builds us back up!)

Now I believe I can start looking at this as being "healed" and what my training structure can look like for the rest of the year.  

My Saturday afternoon... Let's go! 👌
    Right on.  No drinking for 30 days right now for me (do this every year) so you can have a beer or three for me!
    beano.79 said:

My back to back for the weekend. Really need to get the longer runs down to around 12min pace (5 miles every hour) will take some getting used to the walk/run thing.
    Great job. I know you are on a specific training schedule now. What is the longest training run you will be doing?
    Your average time this am was a bit faster than my fastest mile this morning.  Lol.  I am sure it is tough to slow down when you know you can run at that speed!

90 mins running was a goal the PT set for me when he let me start running again and this was the first day I did it.  Right on schedule, which feels good.  (My muscles do not feel good but that is what builds us back up!)

Now I believe I can start looking at this as being "healed" and what my training structure can look like for the rest of the year.  

Awesome. It is great that you are back to your training schedule. I know you probably were anxious to get back to it. It sounds like your PT did a great job. Here is to staying injury free. 

I did a tough 4.6 run today. Was going to to go for 5 miles but listened to my body and stopped a bit short of that. I think I am still getting over my vaccine from a few days ago. I feel fine but maybe pushed it too soon. But I did take a nice long cool down walk after since the weather is so nice - so between the walk and the run I got 6 miles of exercise. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    GlowGirl said:

Awesome. It is great that you are back to your training schedule. I know you probably were anxious to get back to it. It sounds like your PT did a great job. Here is to staying injury free. 

I did a tough 4.6 run today. Was going to to go for 5 miles but listened to my body and stopped a bit short of that. I think I am still getting over my vaccine from a few days ago. I feel fine but maybe pushed it too soon. But I did take a nice long cool down walk after since the weather is so nice - so between the walk and the run I got 6 miles of exercise. 
    There are times to push through and times not to, and this sounds like a definite “not to”, so good for you for listening to that. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

Yay you for your recovery!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Thanks!

GG, good to slow down and walk it out.  Glad you feel ok!
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Anyone have any recommendations for dealing with shin splints? This is something I’ve started experiencing in the past few months. It sucks.
    Stretching....do you have a roller?  I think they can be helped by working on your calves regularly with a roller.  We have "the stick" in a few sizes.  It can feel less than great but it loosens things up and I found that relieved the shin splints.
    If you already do that every day I'm not sure what else to share.
    I remember a girlfriend long ago used to get them and she iced her shins but I don't think that is preventative.  (Ice helps most everything feel better, of course.)
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

Great job. I know you are on a specific training schedule now. What is the longest training run you will be doing?
    By next month we should regularly be in the 20-30 mile range and early July we have an overnight 50 miler that we have planned. After that we will work back up to around 30 miles again before September.

Nice! Got some good miles in. Must feel good to start thinking forward a little now.
    That is just straight bananas. 
    Laughed at what he ate - and he went from a somewhat normal shoe to those crazy vapor family shoes from Nike where it looks like the shoe is some sort of Disney Flubber Deal. 
    I would like to run a mile in those shoes, just to try and see if they make much difference for a normal schlub out there running. 

Love the part where they hand him a note about continuing beyond 100 Miles to go for the next record.  Too funny.

So, he ran that all on a track?

400 laps, baby!  (and then keep going!)
    Wow. 
    A nice 5 miles in today.  Felt good - was warm out and got a heck of a sweat in to start the day.
    Still reading, working on what my schedule will look like -- is challenging/fun to try and just what craziness I want to choose to commit to.
    Reading about that nutjob 100 Mile run is inspiring, for sure.
    A nice 5 miles in today.  Felt good - was warm out and got a heck of a sweat in to start the day.
    Still reading, working on what my schedule will look like -- is challenging/fun to try and just what craziness I want to choose to commit to.
    Reading about that nutjob 100 Mile run is inspiring, for sure.
    Guys like that plant terrible seeds for the rest of us 😁
    Ran 5 miles in the rain today. It actually felt great. It was drizzling when I started but was coming down pretty hard by the end of the run. I was considering the treadmill but glad I didn’t. The only bad things was instead of merely dodging people on the sidewalk I had to dodge people with umbrellas. 
    Nice!  Was meant to rain here but didn't.  Nice easy pace for an hour this morning.
    edited May 2021
    Nice!  Was meant to rain here but didn't.  Nice easy pace for an hour this morning.
    I think we are supposed to get rain the next few days. Glad you got out this morning as well. Are you feeling all healed up?
    GlowGirl said:
    I think we are supposed to get rain the next few days. Glad you got out this morning as well. Are you feeling all healed up?
    Yeah - still trying to determine the next schedule for training but glad to be done with the last one I had in place to "establish" that my ankle could do what I asked of it.
    Sunday is an off day and this week actually looks ok for rain so far here.  Hope it stays away, there.
    edited May 2021

Hope you all had a good weekend and good running! Sunday evening already 😔

Had my 1st vaccine jab yesterday so wasn't sure I would get my long run in today, but I didn't feel too groggy so went ahead.

Again using the 100mile pace strategy which we will use on all our long runs. Still struggled to get the pace down even with the walk breaks but will get there as the mileage increases. Next week it's 15 miles so that won't be long. 

Stinking headache now though 😁
    Post edited by beano.79 on