Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Need to look at those pics on the large monitor, at home, as well.  Looks amazing!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,870
    edited April 2022
    Wow!! @beano.79 congrats. Awesome photos. I am glad your friend got to finish as well. It sounds grueling but also exhilarating. I look forward to hearing what’s next. 
  • Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 660
    GlowGirl said:
    Wow!! @beano.79 congrats. Awesome photos. I am glad your friend got to finish as well. It sounds grueling but also exhilarating. I look forward to hearing what’s next. 
    That's 2 pretty hefty ultras in 7 months, so all I have left this year is a half marathon in October, trying to break 90 minutes. Looking forward to some shorter/different training. I'll get back to the silly stuff next year! Thinking of a 24 hour event run on a 4 mile loop course
  • Options
    Need to look at those pics on the large monitor, at home, as well.  Looks amazing!
    It really was stunning, the climbs were slow going but that was fine as there was plenty to take in. Day 1 was alot of fun, some boggy stuff I got stuck in almost to my knees 😂
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,520
    edited April 2022
    I'm taking up running. It seems to be working so far! The things girls will do to impress their 16+ times Ironman bfs!
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    He is impressed?
    You don't have to swim & bike, as well?
    :)
    Good work!

I am a sweaty mess, generally, after running.   Not impressing my wife.  She gags when I go for a hug, after my Saturday morning runs.

• Options
    tish said:
    I'm taking up running. It seems to be working so far! The things girls will do to impress their 16+ times Ironman bfs!
    Great! Keep us posted with your progress. 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,520
    He is impressed?
    You don't have to swim & bike, as well?
    :)
    Good work!

I am a sweaty mess, generally, after running.   Not impressing my wife.  She gags when I go for a hug, after my Saturday morning runs.

Well, on our first movie date, Studio666, which we made out like teenagers to, I loooovvvved the taste of hus salty skin after his run!

Thanks for the encouragement, GorgeousGoldenGoddessGrl!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    We are very encouraging on this thread, Tish. Everyone here has motivated me to work harder. I have also gotten good tips on running gear, etc.

I had an ok run today - 5.5 miles. My time is improving, but it is still a hard run for me. Talk about being covered in sweat!

Studio 666 was a great movie. I am still sad about Taylor Hawkins.
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    Nice job on the sweaty 5 and a half miles!

Intervals tomorrow morning,  I'm looking forward to it.  They hurt but I love them and they are working.
  • Options
    9 mile run this morning, finished with about a half mile on the sand, pushing as hard as I could.  Thought I was going to shit my shorts, lol.

10 Mile race next Sunday....I need to take 13 seconds a mile off to hit my goal time
      I think I can do that, just need a few things to go as planned. 

Here was my finish line.  Wife ended up being out here and was laughing st the guy trying to sprint on the sand, only realizing as I got closer who it was.

• Options
    9 mile run this morning, finished with about a half mile on the sand, pushing as hard as I could.  Thought I was going to shit my shorts, lol.

10 Mile race next Sunday....I need to take 13 seconds a mile off to hit my goal time

Here was my finish line.  Wife ended up being out here and was laughing st the guy trying to sprint on the sand, only realizing as I got closer who it was.

Beautiful way to finish a run. Running on sand is definitely hard unless it is really compacted. I am sure your wife came in for a big hug when you were done with that run 😁. Good luck with the 10 miler. 

I did my usual today. I have lost my motivation right now to increase my miles so 5.5 it was. Boring, but effective. 
  • Options
    Way to get it done even if you didn't feel like it!
  • Options

What's your goal time for this if you don't mind me asking?

Looks like a great place to run! I have no races now until a 10 miler and a half marathon in the autumn, so I'll just be running for pleasure for a while, finding new routes
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

Looks like a great place to run! I have no races now until a 10 miler and a half marathon in the autumn, so I'll just be running for pleasure for a while, finding new routes
    No problem, of course!
    I'd like to run 10 miles averaging somewhere in the 8s, so under 90 mins. 
    Slow for many but an 8 minute mile is still a good speed for me.  Last time I ran this length I was aiming for 9s so at least I am getting faster!  ;)

• Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,538
    Started running a little this week, after xc skiing all winter into last week.  Going to slowly build up some miles this year as last year I was feeling good from ski fitness and started out with too many miles in a week and got shin splints.  Maybe it was a sign I'm not 25 anymore like I still try to be. So, I'll try easing into it this year, a few days a week. I also play floorball once a week at the rec center, which I mostly do for the cardio and social aspect. If you haven't heard of it, it's like hockey but you play on the gym floor with a whiffle like ball. Gets the heart pumping in a different way when you're used to more endurance type of training. 
  • Options
    Sounds like fun!
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

No problem, of course!
    Slow for many but an 8 minute mile is still a good speed for me.  Last time I ran this length I was aiming for 9s so at least I am getting faster!  ;)

I can’t even imagine running an 8 minute mile. My average hovers around 10:15. But I am happy with that. I won’t be winning any races but my resting heart rate is in the 50s and improving my cardio was my main goal. 

You guys are awesome. I love hearing about all the races. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

No problem, of course!

I can’t even imagine running an 8 minute mile. My average hovers around 10:15. But I am happy with that. I won’t be winning any races but my resting heart rate is in the 50s and improving my cardio was my main goal. 

You guys are awesome. I love hearing about all the races. 
    It's all relative...spoke with someone the other day who runs in the 5s and he was great/very encouraging. 

I'll settle for 8:59 average.  :)
    Fastest I can run at this point is in the 7s, but it is not sustainable.   Many people see 7s as cool down/almost walking.  :lol:   

• Options
    Well, did better than 8:59.
    Thousands upon thousands of runners....would have been probably close to 7s if I didn't have to navigate all of the fucktards who started in the wrong pens, blew their wads too early, and/or who had to jog together, 3-4 wide.
    Was fun, though, and a PR is always a good thing.  Good to know I can get faster....and certainly have loads of room for improvement.

• Options
    Awesome, B!! It sounds like you had fun. Great job! Yeah, navigating around people is why I have not been running outside lately. Once they closed the running path at the East River, I have not yet found a good place to run without tons of people on the sidewalk. I think the running track is still open at the East River. I guess that could be an option. But, I have been making good use of my gym membership with the treadmill. The one advantage of running outside around here during the pandemic was that the sidewalks were not crowded. Now the slow- walking tourists are back, and it is so much harder.
  • Options
    Thanks- I've not run on the sidewalks of NYC but I imagine it would be a pain in the ass.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    Early June I'm going away to some vineyard on some "plan-for-the-rest-of-the-year"-meeting with my colleagues. And my boss want's us all to run trail together. HAha.

So now in may I have to step it up and start to get my running.... up to speed.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Thousands upon thousands of runners....would have been probably close to 7s if I didn't have to navigate all of the fucktards who started in the wrong pens, blew their wads too early, and/or who had to jog together, 3-4 wide.
    Was fun, though, and a PR is always a good thing.  Good to know I can get faster....and certainly have loads of room for improvement.

Well in mate, strong running! I cannot stand the people who fail to understand what the starting pens are for. It can really fuck you up if you have a specific time goal in mind
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

Well in mate, strong running! I cannot stand the people who fail to understand what the starting pens are for. It can really fuck you up if you have a specific time goal in mind
    Thanks.  Agree 1000%!
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,538
    Did a 13 mile trail run through coastal redwood forests today following the Oakland shows. Great day, 75 degrees and sunny.  Beautiful drive also. Will hit another park for some more  trail running in the morning before heading for the San Francisco airport in the afternoon. 
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    I’m a little late to the party here, but I’m pleased to report that between getting back to jogging and buying a home spin bike in January of 2021, I’m down nearly 65lbs from my heaviest (210 lbs down to 145lbs)! I’m 41 and feel like I’m 20 again!

After finishing law school, I spent the better part of a decade going to decadent lunches and drinking too much. Fast forward to 2016, and the combination of losing my father (I’m still flabbergasted and incredibly touched/honoured that the band dedicated I’ve Got a Feelin to him at Fenway) and then becoming a first time father myself almost a year after the date we lost my father…I finally woke the f up. 

Quit my downtown job, took a lower paying/much less hours gig with the government, quit drinking alcohol, and slowly got back to exercise.The jogging has been life changing! The best part is that I have the energy and flexibility to keep up with my (almost) 5-year old son Eddie! Every day is a new adventure! Currently, we are in Indonesia building sandcastles, swimming, and racing along the beach. Even went to Komodo to see the dragons (as he LOVES dinosaurs). Hopefully he will be surfing soon!

Anyways, much love to all of you and to the band! You guys kept me going in some pretty dark moments. If it wasn’t for you, it’s highly unlikely that I would have made it out of my downward spiral. And to anyone who may be going through similar stuff, feel free to reach out via private message any time.

Much love.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    Great job, Mind!  Sounds like an amazing way to build some running into your show tour.

Matthew, that is great to read.  Down to 145.  Wow, that is quite the transformation!  Keep it up and please do chime in with more about your running journey.

I am coming off one of my quarterly water-only, 5 day, fasts. 
    Ran throughout, although slowly and I had to ditch my intervals for a light run day.  Yesterday, I went 5 miles after eating on Friday.  I felt amazing on mile 2, ran one of my fastest miles of the year without pushing at all, and then pretty much bonked at the end of mile 3.  So hilarious. 
    Planned and brought a gel, so ate....had a drink of water, and finished ok. 
    Tempted to run again this morning but will do some slideboard instead and keep it a non impact day, as scheduled.  

Doing some traveling this week, which always makes the running interesting, but will hold to pattern.  
    About 2 weeks from next race, but a new 10k so not worried about training specifically  for it.
    Pool opens soon and I'm not only looking forward to mixing up the training to include swimming but also hugely looking forward to our hot tub.  Since I'm not training for 50 miler this year as hoped, a silver liner is I don't ice and heat treat every day, but I do love the hot tub on my legs.

Hope everyone has a beautiful Sunday.  

• Options
    Wow!! I am so motivated reading all of these posts. Good for everyone!! What amazing accomplishments. Yesterday was one of those days that I did not feel like running. I had very little sleep the night before and my usual running time came and went. I was just going to say screw it, but late afternoon I finally dragged myself out there and got in a great 5.5 miles. I felt so good afterwards. My time was even better than I thought it would be. This is why we run, people!!
  • Options
    Great job, Mind!  Sounds like an amazing way to build some running into your show tour.

Matthew, that is great to read.  Down to 145.  Wow, that is quite the transformation!  Keep it up and please do chime in with more about your running journey.

I am coming off one of my quarterly water-only, 5 day, fasts. 
    Ran throughout, although slowly and I had to ditch my intervals for a light run day.  Yesterday, I went 5 miles after eating on Friday.  I felt amazing on mile 2, ran one of my fastest miles of the year without pushing at all, and then pretty much bonked at the end of mile 3.  So hilarious. 
    Planned and brought a gel, so ate....had a drink of water, and finished ok. 
    Tempted to run again this morning but will do some slideboard instead and keep it a non impact day, as scheduled.  

Doing some traveling this week, which always makes the running interesting, but will hold to pattern.  
    About 2 weeks from next race, but a new 10k so not worried about training specifically  for it.
    Pool opens soon and I'm not only looking forward to mixing up the training to include swimming but also hugely looking forward to our hot tub.  Since I'm not training for 50 miler this year as hoped, a silver liner is I don't ice and heat treat every day, but I do love the hot tub on my legs.

Hope everyone has a beautiful Sunday.  

Your fasting never ceases to amaze me. I could never do that. I lose weight really fast and I am always conscious of keeping my weight up. This is also the time of year when I start to get jealous of that pool and hot tub. Enjoy!