Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    Young ShakespeareAfter reading about it on this thread, I decided to have my local record store save me a copy.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    Any insight as to why Young Shakespeare was cut from a 192 digital file as opposed to analog master tapes?  I know why this occurred with say Harvest Moon, there is no analog master, I am guessing they had to restore this concert from a mangled master?
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Yeah, they used the an audio mix from the recording not the mix they used for the album. 
    I had a bootleg of this supposedly from soundboards, a few years ago.  If the audio on the dvd is the audio from that boot, it is a more fun mix IMO.  I haven’t watched the dvd yet so I am not sure.  At any rate I kind of feel like the rust bucket is a bit more polished sounding than I like from crazy horse.   I am really preferring Young Shakespeare at the moment.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited April 2021
    Quite a few delays to the planned release schedule.
    ORS Box 6 - with Mirror Ball - has been bumped to 2022.

Still plenty of good stuff on the way, we’ll just have to wait a little longer...

Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    If you compare the glut of the past year vs the "famine" of the proceeding 10 years (Archives wise), this delay is nothing.

Yeah, even though this is a delay there’s still a breathtaking amount of releases on these lists.
    ORS 5, Toast, and Noise & Flowers - added to Rust Bucket and Shakespeare - would still make this a pretty phenomenal year

(Tim Rogers)
    But this does make me worried about vinyl production in general. I know covid has made its mark on production, but I feel like most of this is capacity production. I'm sure the Apollo fire and whatever is happening with all that isn't helping things. 

Is this guy releasing five albums on 9/10 or am I misreading that, like maybe that is the longest run in title for an album or something?
    Scio me nihil scire

edited April 2021
    They are live shows from an upcoming bootleg series.

Basically, what he is doing is taking famously sold bootleg shows, reproducing their original cover art, using his tapes (or professionally remastering them) and (re-)releasing them so he gets paid from them. Aug/Sept will see the first 6 dropping. There will be more.
    Its really awesome. 

If PJ doesn't have a lot of 95/96 tapes, I wish they would do this with the monkeywrench fm tapes.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    Here’s the original announcement for the Official Bootleg Series

(Tim Rogers)
    And here’s a more recent (ish) update

(Tim Rogers)
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Very cool.  

I have a bootleg called Chicago Hurricane that I picked up years and years ago.  I'd be cool with this one coming out on vinyl . 

https://www.discogs.com/Neil-Young-Chicago-Hurricane/release/12392206
    I saw a post at the Hoffman forums that confused me. Are the 6 boots a mix of CD and vinyl, or all vinyl? Or both? I was of the assumption it was vinyl and NYA only.
    Kinda wish there was some more variety in the years though. Especially since NYPS albums from those eras have been stellar and chosen because they are so.

I saw a post at the Hoffman forums that confused me. Are the 6 boots a mix of CD and vinyl, or all vinyl? Or both? I was of the assumption it was vinyl and NYA only.
    There were a few LTTE replies last year that confirmed the OBS series would be on vinyl and on NYA.
    This one says ‘vinyl and cd’

(Tim Rogers)
    The bootlegs have been added to the Albums list on the app today as well

(Tim Rogers)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited April 2021
    goldrush said:

So are these known to you? The covers... are they such "well knowned" bootlegs? 

I've never seen those covers.

And, when Neil uses them and sells them for profit.. I mean... he has to secure rights for the photos and the illustrated art then and stuff regarding the artwork that the bootleg creators doesn't care about?

Or how does that work?

Scannin in "stolen assets" - wether photos, art or fonts - doesn't make it suddenly legal...

Or are these remade covers mimicking the booteg covers?

-- and is there info on the sources for the audio? I doubt all or any of them are from multi-track recordings? 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    He says in the 10/07/20 article posted above that 4 of the 6 are multi tracks. 

edited April 2021
    But I’m sure Warner Brothers or Neils management would love to hear from the guys who initially put these together so that they can appropriately deal with any issues surrounding these bootlegs.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited April 2021
    But I’m sure Warner Brothers or Neils management would love to hear from the guys who initially put these together so that they can appropriately deal with any issues surrounding these bootlegs.
    What has the "the guys who initially put these together" to do with anything I wrote?

Re-read.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
    goldrush said:

So are these known to you? The covers... are they such "well knowned" bootlegs? 

I've never seen those covers.

And, when Neil uses them and sells them for profit.. I mean... he has to secure rights for the photos and the illustrated art then and stuff regarding the artwork that the bootleg creators doesn't care about?

Or how does that work?

Scannin in "stolen assets" - wether photos, art or fonts - doesn't make it suddenly legal...

Or are these remade covers mimicking the booteg covers?

-- and is there info on the sources for the audio? I doubt all or any of them are from multi-track recordings? 
    I have the orange and yellow Carnegie hall. Got it in the early 2000s for like 8 bucks. Back when 8 bucks was a lot for a used record.  I also have one with similar art in blue but from a different show on that tour.  He stops in the middle of Nowadays Clancy Can’t Even Sing and just says sorry folks I can’t do it tonight.
    Scio me nihil scire

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    dankind said:

Got to geta hold of tha doobie boot!!
    A few updates to the ‘tentative’ release dates:

(Tim Rogers)
    I like the look of that. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I'm surprised he isn't pushing the CSNY Deja Vu 50th box that is coming out next month. 
    Eh, he kind of is. NYA has had exclusive tracks. Just uploaded Our House the other day. 
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    But this does make me worried about vinyl production in general. I know covid has made its mark on production, but I feel like most of this is capacity production. I'm sure the Apollo fire and whatever is happening with all that isn't helping things. 

Just not enough plants pressing vinyl seems to be the main issue. Despite its growth and potential no one is really investing in setting up new plants on the scale needed. Its great to see Third Man etc but its regarded as a boutique pressing plant. All of the coloured vinyl is also causing issues at the big plants because it adds time to the process because of the cleaning involved between pressings.

Unless demand slows significantly the lead time is going to keep growing. Its going to take some big investment to resolve the situation and create some plants on the scale of CZ etc.

I'm sure more plants will start popping up in the next couple years to ease some of the burden.