Official Neil Young Thread

1149150151152153155»

Comments

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,154
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    And people complain about Pearl Jam sets and prices. $200+ and14 songs. No thanks Uncle Neil. I live 15 minutes away from that venue and this was a hard pass due to the prices. I am sure the setting at the cap was great and the songs were good. 
    I wanted to go to one of these shows very badly as I am also 15 minutes away.  I had tix for Monday but sold them because I had to work late.  Yesterday I got out of my last meeting at 7:30 and was tempted to grab last second tix.  But I could not justify the price, especially after seeing it was a short set the night before and to be honest the set didn't even look that good to me.  

I paid $150 off a secondary site to see Chris Cornell at the cap on his solo tour. It was well worth it. Maybe the best ticket I have bought given the circumstances. It is a great venue. But when I see Neil's prices, it is a hard pass. I have seen Neil many times, but he lost me on the Greendale tour at Radio City with $238 dollar tickets and a mediocre show. David Gilmour is the same. Not paying $300 to hear your new record and playing with your daughter. 
    I went to the re-opening of the Cap (Bob Dylan 2012).  Absolutely love that place!  Home of some of my favorite MMJ shows too.  
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,957
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:
    And people complain about Pearl Jam sets and prices. $200+ and14 songs. No thanks Uncle Neil. I live 15 minutes away from that venue and this was a hard pass due to the prices. I am sure the setting at the cap was great and the songs were good. 
    I wanted to go to one of these shows very badly as I am also 15 minutes away.  I had tix for Monday but sold them because I had to work late.  Yesterday I got out of my last meeting at 7:30 and was tempted to grab last second tix.  But I could not justify the price, especially after seeing it was a short set the night before and to be honest the set didn't even look that good to me.  

I paid $150 off a secondary site to see Chris Cornell at the cap on his solo tour. It was well worth it. Maybe the best ticket I have bought given the circumstances. It is a great venue. But when I see Neil's prices, it is a hard pass. I have seen Neil many times, but he lost me on the Greendale tour at Radio City with $238 dollar tickets and a mediocre show. David Gilmour is the same. Not paying $300 to hear your new record and playing with your daughter. 
    I went to the re-opening of the Cap (Bob Dylan 2012).  Absolutely love that place!  Home of some of my favorite MMJ shows too.  

MMJ, Wilco, Death Cab and many more. I just will not pay $250 for a show. Probably missed some great Steely Dan shows there because it was too expensive.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,786
    Sorry if this has been posted already, but it looks like On the Beach is getting a 50th year anniversary reissue release.  Perhaps goldrush or someone else has a link.  For many of us, this is a must-have Neil Young LP, fans!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,487
    brianlux said:
    Sorry if this has been posted already, but it looks like On the Beach is getting a 50th year anniversary reissue release.  Perhaps goldrush or someone else has a link.  For many of us, this is a must-have Neil Young LP, fans!
    Here you go!  =)

https://neilyoung.warnerrecords.com/en/on-the-beach-50th-anniversay-1lp-exclusive-clear/093624840480.html
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,264
    Get_Right said:
    (I would pay $200 to see Pearl Jam play a 90 minute set in an 1800 cap theater)
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:

It's more like $300. But I get your point. It would be a tough ticket if Pearl Jam played the Cap.
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:

It's more like $300. But I get your point. It would be a tough ticket if Pearl Jam played the Cap.
    Pushing my outer limit but I still think I'd go 3
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:

The thing with Neil is that you never know what you are going to get. Expensive tickets and then he plays the entire new record with a good closer and then three classics in the encore. At least that is my experience. I am sure the Cap shows were fun.
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:

The thing with Neil is that you never know what you are going to get. Expensive tickets and then he plays the entire new record with a good closer and then three classics in the encore. At least that is my experience. I am sure the Cap shows were fun.
    Yeah that's a good point. Big asterisk that my budget would vary widely by artist.
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:

Yeah that's a good point. Big asterisk that my budget would vary widely by artist.

I have paid what I consider big dollars for a few shows. Neil Young, David Gilmour, Steely Dan, Van Morrison, and Paul McCartney. Only once did I leave happy for what I paid. Paul McCartney.
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    Here you go!  =)

https://neilyoung.warnerrecords.com/en/on-the-beach-50th-anniversay-1lp-exclusive-clear/093624840480.html

Thank you, good man!  Looks like no outtakes or extras this time, so I'm good my OG, cut out though it may be.  Imagine that, an original pressing that was a cut out that I found in a sale bin, still sealed in the early to mid 80s?!  Crazy!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:

I have paid what I consider big dollars for a few shows. Neil Young, David Gilmour, Steely Dan, Van Morrison, and Paul McCartney. Only once did I leave happy for what I paid. Paul McCartney.
    Not Gilmour????
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:
    pjl44 said:
    Get_Right said:

Not Gilmour????

Nope. His early solo shows were good, but not the more recent tours. On an Island put me to sleep. And he sold his guitar. 
    This behemoth finally arrived on Tuesday:

17 CDs, 5 Blu-rays (containing 11 movies in total) covering 1976 to 1987.
    It's going to take a while to get through it all, that's for sure.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,199
    goldrush said:

How msny pages is the book?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    goldrush said:

I don't care much for CD's but I would love it if the movies were all made available as a DVD set (probably not gonna happen though).

IN any case, enjoy!

brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

I don't care much for CD's but I would love it if the movies were all made available as a DVD set (probably not gonna happen though).

IN any case, enjoy!
    It took me a long time to pull the trigger on this. The price was just ridiculous, but I went for it eventually.

So far (only 7 discs in) there’s been some really good stuff, but also a couple of typical Neil quirks. For some bizarre reason, he’s included ‘raps’ on most of the discs, where he gives some background to the recordings. Interesting to hear once, but it ruins the flow of the songs, and would’ve been better as notes in the book. 

Disc 4 ‘Snapshot In Time’ is really cool. It was recorded around a table in Linda Ronstadt’s house, when Neil was playing some new songs for the first time for her and Nicolette Larson. It was the first time Neil met Nicolette, and it’s awesome that David Briggs was there to capture the moment.

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

How msny pages is the book?
    Another Neil quirk… the website says 160 pages, and the label on the box says 176. There are no page numbers and I’m not counting them!

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:

IN any case, enjoy!
    It took me a long time to pull the trigger on this. The price was just ridiculous, but I went for it eventually.

So far (only 7 discs in) there’s been some really good stuff, but also a couple of typical Neil quirks. For some bizarre reason, he’s included ‘raps’ on most of the discs, where he gives some background to the recordings. Interesting to hear once, but it ruins the flow of the songs, and would’ve been better as notes in the book. 

Disc 4 ‘Snapshot In Time’ is really cool. It was recorded around a table in Linda Ronstadt’s house, when Neil was playing some new songs for the first time for her and Nicolette Larson. It was the first time Neil met Nicolette, and it’s awesome that David Briggs was there to capture the moment.

That reminds me of when John Mayall put out a record of fairly scarce songs by the not well known, but excellent bluesman J. B. Lenoir.  Inserted between these excellent songs are snippets of Mayall interviewing Lenoir's widow.  All that is interesting, but would have been far better put on a separate disc or a separate booklet.  Several years ago, I got so frustrated with Mayall on that LP (despite being a long-time Mayall fan), I sold that LP for a pittance.  It's a bit hard to find and is a bit expensive (VG+ starts at $25 to $30 US) for a record I would just find frustrating all over again!

Sorry to hear Neil did something similar.   They are CDs, right?  Can you hit skip button on the talking?