Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 679
    Any of you guys heard of the Barkley marathons? There's 2 really great films about it. 'Where dreams go to die' which is on YouTube. And 'the race that eats it young' which might be on prime video.

It's a real eye opener,  it consists of 5 loops of around 20 miles.. so not a ridiculous distance... But they have 60 hours to complete it and most years there are no finishers. Really recommend those films when you have time.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    Will check it out!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,904
    beano.79 said:
    Any of you guys heard of the Barkley marathons? There's 2 really great films about it. 'Where dreams go to die' which is on YouTube. And 'the race that eats it young' which might be on prime video.

It's a real eye opener,  it consists of 5 loops of around 20 miles.. so not a ridiculous distance... But they have 60 hours to complete it and most years there are no finishers. Really recommend those films when you have time.
    Sounds interesting. I will check it out. I had a nice uneventful run in the nice weather this morning. 
  • Options
    Today in England we were allowed to start meeting friends and family outside... So we visited my dad in his garden for lunch. My daughter cycled while I ran. Naturally we had to take colouring books and pens.. her tablet...a change of clothes for me and this meant Jelly the bear had to ride up front strapped to my chest 😂 

My daughter played with her fairy garden at my parents and I had a beer in the sun with my old man.

Today was a good day 😁
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    beano.79 said:
    Today in England we were allowed to start meeting friends and family outside... So we visited my dad in his garden for lunch. My daughter cycled while I ran. Naturally we had to take colouring books and pens.. her tablet...a change of clothes for me and this meant Jelly the bear had to ride up front strapped to my chest 😂 

My daughter played with her fairy garden at my parents and I had a beer in the sun with my old man.

Today was a good day 😁

Great! May this be the first of many such good days in 2021. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

Today was a good day 😁

Great! May this be the first of many such good days in 2021. 
    🍻👍🤞
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    beano.79 said:

Today was a good day 😁
    Yeah, that just makes me happy.
    Good for you all.
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

Today was a good day 😁
    That's great. I got to visit my parents last week. It was really nice. Maybe you should take the bear with you on your ultra marathons. It could be a nice mascot :)

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

Today was a good day 😁
    That's great. I got to visit my parents last week. It was really nice. Maybe you should take the bear with you on your ultra marathons. It could be a nice mascot :)

The bear was a little warm to run with if I'm honest 😅
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    beano.79 said:

Today was a good day 😁
    That's great! I'm so stoked to see things start opening up everywhere seems like
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Had a morning to build the old mental calluses.

"Feels like" 38 degrees, at lightest a good rain, during some parts a hard rain,  with18 mph wind, out there for almost an hour.

I ran hard yesterday so intended to take it easy today, anyway, but was more than a minute behind my pace from yesterday.

Somehow the wind/ rain was in my face for the run out and the run back.  :lol:

Feel fortune to be able to do it, whine for a moment here, and go about my day knowing I out in good work this morning.

Hope y'all had a better go at it this morning!  🌅

• Options

"Feels like" 38 degrees, at lightest a good rain, during some parts a hard rain,  with18 mph wind, out there for almost an hour.

I ran hard yesterday so intended to take it easy today, anyway, but was more than a minute behind my pace from yesterday.

Feel fortune to be able to do it, whine for a moment here, and go about my day knowing I out in good work this morning.

Nice. That is a good feeling to get it done. Today is an off day for me. Saturday is my next run day.

My last run was windy and it also felt like I was running into the wind no matter which direction I was running. Annoying. 
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

Nice. That is a good feeling to get it done. Today is an off day for me. Saturday is my next run day.

My last run was windy and it also felt like I was running into the wind no matter which direction I was running. Annoying. 
    My long bike ride last weekend was like that. Doesn’t seem fair! 

For everyone here.... “May the road rise up to meet you and the wind be ever at your back”.... plus the other things in that blessing that I can’t remember :lol: 
  • Options
    with outdoor classes opening I took my daughter to a small dance class session on a local playing field. She's 5 and has become very clingy to me and my wife over the lockdowns. She told me I can run but only on this field where she can still see me 😂 has to be the most boring 5 miles ever.. around 30 laps 🥴
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:

Yes!! Of all weather.. wind is my least favourite. Like you say... Even running straight out and back it is always a bloody headwind! 
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    with outdoor classes opening I took my daughter to a small dance class session on a local playing field. She's 5 and has become very clingy to me and my wife over the lockdowns. She told me I can run but only on this field where she can still see me 😂 has to be the most boring 5 miles ever.. around 30 laps 🥴

Since I hurt my ankle in August I've done a tremendous amount of track running.  Don't need to worry about stepping on a stick, uneven sidewalk, stuff on the road, etc....especially when it is dark, which is much of the time I am running...it has a set of porto potties which are cleaned frequently and can be very useful....much easier on the joints....but SO boring. 
    My wife doesn't understand and is always encouraging me to run more frequently on the track. 
    An hour or two on that thing is mind numbing.  Since I do not need to worry about objects in my way/trip hazards, etc, I frequently zone out completely. 
    I am thankful that I have a track a mile away, though.  Actually another one about a mile and a half in the opposite direction which I've not run on before.
    I ran 5.07 one day this week - was my first run beyond 5 in a while - and it took 48 mins.  :lol:  You would be feet up and already rested by the time I finished.  ;)

• Options
    beano.79 said:

Since I hurt my ankle in August I've done a tremendous amount of track running.  Don't need to worry about stepping on a stick, uneven sidewalk, stuff on the road, etc....especially when it is dark, which is much of the time I am running...it has a set of porto potties which are cleaned frequently and can be very useful....much easier on the joints....but SO boring. 
    My wife doesn't understand and is always encouraging me to run more frequently on the track. 
    An hour or two on that thing is mind numbing.  Since I do not need to worry about objects in my way/trip hazards, etc, I frequently zone out completely. 
    I am thankful that I have a track a mile away, though.  Actually another one about a mile and a half in the opposite direction which I've not run on before.
    I ran 5.07 one day this week - was my first run beyond 5 in a while - and it took 48 mins.  :lol:  You would be feet up and already rested by the time I finished.  ;)

It must be very useful having a track available to you.. definitely has its advantages at times. In wet weather and for certain workouts

I have been really pleased with my pace this past year... Luckily for about 2 years I have been super consistent and injury free with my running and it has helped a great deal. From may onwards my training will be focussed on slow miles so I'm going to lose the pace for sure
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:

It must be very useful having a track available to you.. definitely has its advantages at times. In wet weather and for certain workouts

I have been really pleased with my pace this past year... Luckily for about 2 years I have been super consistent and injury free with my running and it has helped a great deal. From may onwards my training will be focussed on slow miles so I'm going to lose the pace for sure

Consistent and injury free for two years means you're really doing something right with your training regimen - or you're very lucky! For me, "consistent" with any particular sport tends to lead to some sort of injury, which is one of the reasons I mix it up. 
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:

Injury free is awesome.  Glad to hear it!

Yeah, funny that I never even considered running on the track before I hurt myself.
    Was running my 800 sprints on a relatively isolated and flat-ish stretch of sidewalk when doing speed training last year.  I was an idiot not to do it at the track.  Also I had to look the fool running back and forth, back and forth, on the same stretch to anyone who could see. 
    I hope to get to start doing those again, soon.  They were fun and painful at the same time.  I kind of like those kinds of activities!  :lol: 
  • Options
    beano.79 said:

There is a track in the park along the river where I run. But I haven't used it. I see people on it all the time running. I have a friend who uses it consistently. He runs only at night and I think he feels safer on the track. Maybe, I will try it some time.

BTW, it usually takes me around 53 minutes to run 5 miles so both of you would be up and rested (and maybe even showered) by the time I finish :lol:

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

There is a track in the park along the river where I run. But I haven't used it. I see people on it all the time running. I have a friend who uses it consistently. He runs only at night and I think he feels safer on the track. Maybe, I will try it some time.

BTW, it usually takes me around 53 minutes to run 5 miles so both of you would be up and rested (and maybe even showered) by the time I finish :lol:

You should try it, it is different.  Might be a fun mix up and for sure if it is wet/dark it is easier to navigate. 
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:

Consistent and injury free for two years means you're really doing something right with your training regimen - or you're very lucky! For me, "consistent" with any particular sport tends to lead to some sort of injury, which is one of the reasons I mix it up. 
    I am pretty cautious these days. I run 3 times a week and every 3 weeks or so I take a rest. I developed a stress fracture in my shin a few years back and made the change once I got back into it from there. By giving myself a regular rest and only running 3 times per week I can go at it quite hard. I ran that 3.28 marathon at Xmas based on 4 month period. 2 weeks of hard training followed by a week of low mileage/intensity...and sometimes taking a whole week off, and I felt great for it.

Mixing up is a great way too. I only run now. I'm too old for football (soccer) these days 😁👴🏻
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    beano.79 said:

You should try it, it is different.  Might be a fun mix up and for sure if it is wet/dark it is easier to navigate. 
    Maybe I will try it. It is about a mile run to get to the track, so if I run a mile there and a mile home, I can do 3 or so miles on the track.

• Options
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:

Yeah, funny that I never even considered running on the track before I hurt myself.
    Was running my 800 sprints on a relatively isolated and flat-ish stretch of sidewalk when doing speed training last year.  I was an idiot not to do it at the track.  Also I had to look the fool running back and forth, back and forth, on the same stretch to anyone who could see. 
    I hope to get to start doing those again, soon.  They were fun and painful at the same time.  I kind of like those kinds of activities!  :lol: 
    Have you ever tried yasso 800's. I used them for my last marathon training block. It is specific to your goal time. So if you hope to run a 4hr marathon, you run your 800m in 4 mins... Followed by 400 easy pace, then repeat. Start with 2 or 3 reps and work up to 10 throughout your training plan. The 'idea' is if you can hit target pace for 10 reps then you're in good shape to reach your marathon goal. Works for half marathons too, just halve everything. Its an enjoyable workout
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:

Have you ever tried yasso 800's. I used them for my last marathon training block. It is specific to your goal time. So if you hope to run a 4hr marathon, you run your 800m in 4 mins... Followed by 400 easy pace, then repeat. Start with 2 or 3 reps and work up to 10 throughout your training plan. The 'idea' is if you can hit target pace for 10 reps then you're in good shape to reach your marathon goal. Works for half marathons too, just halve everything. Its an enjoyable workout

I did read about them before but didn't put them in, because Hal didn't put them in.  :lol:
    Did whatever Hal told me.
    I like the idea and will look at incorporating.
    I was "run like the devil is chasing you for 800 meters" and then stop for 60 seconds and try not to fall over....then do it again.  And again.  And again.....
    Wonder which is harder to do.  Perhaps will try them both out.
  • Options
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:
    beano.79 said:

I did read about them before but didn't put them in, because Hal didn't put them in.  :lol:
    Did whatever Hal told me.
    I like the idea and will look at incorporating.
    I was "run like the devil is chasing you for 800 meters" and then stop for 60 seconds and try not to fall over....then do it again.  And again.  And again.....
    Wonder which is harder to do.  Perhaps will try them both out.
    I like yours better 😁
  • Options
    Over 6 miles today.  Chipping away and while I was spent when I got back, I didn't really realize it until I cooked down.
    Next week is a 'step back' week in the schedule, so it will be shorter times out there....which is great, because next week is a fasting week.  Get it out of the way in Q2 right away before the run lengths get too high and it becomes something I cannot do.  

Was in the 30s again.  Aren't we in springtime?  Ridiculous!
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    Over 6 miles today.  Chipping away and while I was spent when I got back, I didn't really realize it until I cooked down.
    Next week is a 'step back' week in the schedule, so it will be shorter times out there....which is great, because next week is a fasting week.  Get it out of the way in Q2 right away before the run lengths get too high and it becomes something I cannot do.  

Yea. Very deceiving too because it's sunny as shit.
  • Options

Yea. Very deceiving too because it's sunny as shit.
    Yep.  Looks beautiful....just not warm.
  • Options
    I waited until noon today to start my run so it was warmer. Still colder than I would have liked. I am sure it was freezing when you all went out earlier in the morning.