George Floyd Protests

Comments

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    I live in St. Paul and while I've never had it in me to watch the minutiae of any trial, I'll have to keep my eye on it for the sake of knowing when the acquittal is coming. It's going to be crazier than last year. 

To probably say the same thing others have, I understand the need to erupt, but burning stuff down isn't particularly productive and it definitely helps white nationalist America dig in its heels. As a white guy, I guess I have the privilege to think about this but without those riots, Covid is the only headliner of 2020 and Biden wins easily. My point being that those riots and the upcoming riots can tip suburban whites towards the growing white nationalist movement.

For the days after the acquittal, I'll be very careful about doing anything.  Even taking the dog out. It will be the latest in a long line of clear messages that cops can do what they want to anyone; particularly blacks. They kill them under just about any circumstances and their apprehension of white mass shooters shows you that they don't have to; they just like to. And they'll never be punished for it. Never. To be honest, I'm not really sure what people are supposed to do. Because none of it is working. And if you're black, you could be killed by a cop for pretty much doing nothing. (cue the "Chicago" comments).
    Will the riots (if there are any) tip suburban whites "towards the growing white nationalist movement," or just tip them away from the democratic party? Or is the same thing because all non-democrats are white supremacists? 

Cops don't kill blacks "under just about any circumstances." And "If you're black, you could be killed by a cop for pretty much doing nothing" sounds a lot like the fear-mongering that has been coming from the left since Floyd's death. And that's not to say there's not some truth to it. Elijah McClain is a perfect example of someone being killed for nothing. But more often than not, the accused is resisting arrest. And I'm not saying that should result in death, but it's also not being killed "for pretty much doing nothing." 

The white mass shooters will be punished with life imprisonment. Maybe even a death sentence, which I'd be for.
    Jesus Christ.  Resisting arrest can absolutely be doing just about nothing.  Cops abuse their power constantly.  Arrested for being black, better not resist due to a cop abusing their authority or you might get killed and it will be your fault because you were doing slightly more than resisting. What kind of twisted logic must one poses to believe that garbage.  
    I’m not trying to absolve cops for abusing their authority. But ya know what’s even less logical than being a white guy on a message board suggesting you shouldn’t resist arrest? Being the black guy that resists arrest in a WHITE SUPREMACIST country patrolled by RACIST cops that will abuse their authority and kill you. Just from a “logic” standpoint. 

Easy for me to say though right?
    Very easy.  We need cops to be held accountable, no qualified immunity no charges of resisting arrest, more body cams and consequences.  Imagine if you could constantly fuck off at your own job and cite being afraid or some such bullshit and never pay a price or face a consequence, imagine if everyone in your field was treated this way, quality of service would probably hit Rick bottom.  These people are just working jobs ffs they aren’t heroes. 

Imagine if cops constantly eyed you and treated you that way and you had a lifetime of seeing friends and family abused. I’m sure it would be real easy to just comply.  

Cops have too much power and too few consequences these days. 

I swear some people love cops so much their solution would be for cops to kill all races at the same rate per capita, rather than have any meaningful reform.
    Yeah I agree with with all of this except the stupid final paragraph and the first two words “very easy.” If it was very easy, all those regulations would’ve been in place a long time ago. 
    You don’t think there are people out there that would rather just have cops kill all races at the same per capita so they could justify the killing of minorities?  I do, all of these racists are real pieces of shit and absolutely would be ok with cops killing more whites at the cost of not being called racists.

first “very easy” was In Response to mace saying easy for me to say. Like I was agreeing.  It’s easy to say just comply from t he sidelines
    I honestly don't. I think the majority of people would rather there be no police killings. That is, police killings that could be avoided. Certainly there's times where cop has to take down a maniac with a gun. But other than that, I don't think there's many people who are okay with people dying in custody due to overly aggressive police. And I definitely don't think they'd want more racial disparity in police killings just so that the police aren't called racist. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    I found it odd the prosecution presented that clip from Chauvin's body cam today. Seemed to help confirm the defense that Floyd was uncooperative and resisting leading to his pinning on the ground by the officers. Floyd was also heard already saying he couldn't breathe in that clip as they were trying to get him in the squad.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,600
    tbergs said:
    I found it odd the prosecution presented that clip from Chauvin's body cam today. Seemed to help confirm the defense that Floyd was uncooperative and resisting leading to his pinning on the ground by the officers. Floyd was also heard already saying he couldn't breathe in that clip as they were trying to get him in the squad.
    The facts should show, that George Floyd had been peacefully detained prior to being placed in the patrol car and then, resisted being placed in a police car, had been placed successfully so, removed, perp walked across the street and hidden, and killed. Most people, get a public defender.

Like breyona Taylor, George should have complied.

Like Tamir Rice, George should have complied.

Like Freddy Gray, George should have complied.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,761
    like Philando Castille, compliance gets you killed
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    I thought the end part of the bodycam footage where they had audio of Chauvin talking to a witness from his car wasn’t good for the prosecution. If Chauvin said something along the lines of “Don’t tell me how to do my job!” or saying something callous in regards to Floyd, it’d be one thing. But he calmly said that Floyd’s a big guy (which he is) and he speculated that Floyd might’ve been on drugs (which he was). Stuff like that could sway the jury into believing that in the moment, Chauvin really thought he was doing the right thing, which could make the difference between a murder conviction and a manslaughter conviction. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    I hope this cop goes to jail for life may he rot in jail! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I have to say that Pulmonologist yesterday was riveting in his explanation on how the body and George Floyd was trying to breathe. It's hard to see in the video Floyd using his fingers, his hands to push, lift his body to breathe on his right side. The more detail it got from the doctor it appears what Chuvan did was more akin to torture.

If that doctor taught a class on pulmonology I would his class. His easy to understand explanations calm demeaner were all too masterful to me.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,961
    It's so sad.  I about shit yesterday when the defense witness said that the procedure was justified.  How awful.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    It's so sad.  I about shit yesterday when the defense witness said that the procedure was justified.  How awful.

heard on cnn a clip of the prosecutor cross-examination of this guy I think. the witness stated " and here he is resting comfortably......"

coulda swore I heard the prosecutors jaw hit the floor.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
     Texas students created Snapchat group to ‘Slave Trade’ their Black classmates, activists said
    By Andrea Salcedo
    April 14 at 5:17 AM ET
    The Snapchat groups were called “Slave Trade,” and other titles with racial slurs. In the chats, students from Aledo, Tex., pretended to buy and sell their Black peers, according to screenshots given to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
    In one chat, students wrote that they would spend $1 on a classmate and “100 bucks” on another, according to the screenshots.
    On Monday, the Aledo Independent School District announced it had disciplined students from its Daniel Ninth Grade Campus after an internal investigation involving law enforcement found they had bullied and harassed other students “based on their race.”
    The district’s leadership condemned the incident, adding it would not tolerate such actions in the district west of Fort Worth with about 6,400 students.
    “There is no room for racism or hatred in the Aledo ISD, period,” Aledo Independent School District Superintendent Susan Bohn said in a statement shared with The Washington Post. “Using inappropriate, offensive and racially charged language and conduct is completely unacceptable and is prohibited by district policy.”
    The district did not share further details about the case, including how many students were involved or how they were disciplined. The district has not provided details about the incident, but local activists provided the Star-Telegram with screenshots of the chats.
    In addition to using racial slurs with the words “Farm” and “Auction,” the group had also been named with emoji of a Black man, a gun and a White police officer, the screenshots showed. One student suggested a classmate “would be better if his hair wasn’t so bad.”
    At least one student who was mentioned as being “sold” in the chats was later sent screenshots of the conversations, one of his parents told WFAA. Tony Crawford, an organizer of the Parker County Progressives, told the Star-Telegram that students mentioned in the chats were traumatized.
    “Can you imagine what it’s like for somebody to put a price on your head?” Crawford said. “I cannot imagine the embarrassment and hurt that people you might be friends with are having that conversation.”
    Mark Grubbs, a father of three former Aledo ISD students, told KXAS he was sickened by the students’ actions.
    “Who do they think they are?” Grubbs said referencing the group’s participants. “What gives them the right to think they can do that to someone else?”
    Grubbs, who is Black, said he had taken his children out of the district over other racist incidents.
    “A lot of racism,” he told KXAS. “My son being called out of his name and what not and it got to the point he didn’t mind fighting and that didn’t sit right with me and my wife. My son was never a fighter.”
    Last week, the Star-Telegram reported, Daniel Ninth Grade Campus Principal Carolyn Ansley sent an email to parents that didn’t mention the Snapchat group, but revealed there had been “an incident of cyberbullying and harassment.”
    Jo Jessup, the parent of a ninth grader in the district, told WFAA parents were upset about Ansley’s email because it used vague language and left questions unanswered. “Part of the issue is parents were really upset that the original memo that came out said nothing about racism,” Jessup told the local station.
    Grubbs said the fact that Ansley never referred to the incident as “racist” is what upset him the most.
    “Calling it cyberbullying rather than calling it racism … that is the piece that really gets under my skin,” he told WFAA.
    On Monday, the district publicly discussed the incident for the first time in a statement. Bohn said the district talked to students involved and their parents soon after being notified about the case “and made it clear that statements and conduct that targets a student because of his or her race is not only prohibited but also has a profound impact on the victims.”
    The school district’s investigation, Bohn said, concluded “racial harassment and cyber bullying” had occurred, which prompted discipline for all students involved.
    “This incident has caused tremendous pain for the victims, their families, and other students of color and their families, and for that we are deeply saddened,” Bohn said.

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,498
    mickeyrat said:
     Texas students created Snapchat group to ‘Slave Trade’ their Black classmates, activists said
    By Andrea Salcedo
    April 14 at 5:17 AM ET
    The Snapchat groups were called “Slave Trade,” and other titles with racial slurs. In the chats, students from Aledo, Tex., pretended to buy and sell their Black peers, according to screenshots given to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
    In one chat, students wrote that they would spend $1 on a classmate and “100 bucks” on another, according to the screenshots.
    On Monday, the Aledo Independent School District announced it had disciplined students from its Daniel Ninth Grade Campus after an internal investigation involving law enforcement found they had bullied and harassed other students “based on their race.”
    The district’s leadership condemned the incident, adding it would not tolerate such actions in the district west of Fort Worth with about 6,400 students.
    “There is no room for racism or hatred in the Aledo ISD, period,” Aledo Independent School District Superintendent Susan Bohn said in a statement shared with The Washington Post. “Using inappropriate, offensive and racially charged language and conduct is completely unacceptable and is prohibited by district policy.”
    The district did not share further details about the case, including how many students were involved or how they were disciplined. The district has not provided details about the incident, but local activists provided the Star-Telegram with screenshots of the chats.
    In addition to using racial slurs with the words “Farm” and “Auction,” the group had also been named with emoji of a Black man, a gun and a White police officer, the screenshots showed. One student suggested a classmate “would be better if his hair wasn’t so bad.”
    At least one student who was mentioned as being “sold” in the chats was later sent screenshots of the conversations, one of his parents told WFAA. Tony Crawford, an organizer of the Parker County Progressives, told the Star-Telegram that students mentioned in the chats were traumatized.
    “Can you imagine what it’s like for somebody to put a price on your head?” Crawford said. “I cannot imagine the embarrassment and hurt that people you might be friends with are having that conversation.”
    Mark Grubbs, a father of three former Aledo ISD students, told KXAS he was sickened by the students’ actions.
    “Who do they think they are?” Grubbs said referencing the group’s participants. “What gives them the right to think they can do that to someone else?”
    Grubbs, who is Black, said he had taken his children out of the district over other racist incidents.
    “A lot of racism,” he told KXAS. “My son being called out of his name and what not and it got to the point he didn’t mind fighting and that didn’t sit right with me and my wife. My son was never a fighter.”
    Last week, the Star-Telegram reported, Daniel Ninth Grade Campus Principal Carolyn Ansley sent an email to parents that didn’t mention the Snapchat group, but revealed there had been “an incident of cyberbullying and harassment.”
    Jo Jessup, the parent of a ninth grader in the district, told WFAA parents were upset about Ansley’s email because it used vague language and left questions unanswered. “Part of the issue is parents were really upset that the original memo that came out said nothing about racism,” Jessup told the local station.
    Grubbs said the fact that Ansley never referred to the incident as “racist” is what upset him the most.
    “Calling it cyberbullying rather than calling it racism … that is the piece that really gets under my skin,” he told WFAA.
    On Monday, the district publicly discussed the incident for the first time in a statement. Bohn said the district talked to students involved and their parents soon after being notified about the case “and made it clear that statements and conduct that targets a student because of his or her race is not only prohibited but also has a profound impact on the victims.”
    The school district’s investigation, Bohn said, concluded “racial harassment and cyber bullying” had occurred, which prompted discipline for all students involved.
    “This incident has caused tremendous pain for the victims, their families, and other students of color and their families, and for that we are deeply saddened,” Bohn said.

Holy crap!! How F’ing stupid do you need to be to do something like that?? What the hell is in your heart that would make you think that it was appropriate?
  • Options
    More crazy ramblings from the defense today...

David Fowler, a former chief medical examiner for the state of Maryland, said he would not have categorized Floyd’s death a homicide, as an autopsy declared, saying there were too many conflicting factors to accurately determine the manner of death.
    He also suggested Floyd’s exposure to exhaust from a nearby police squad car may have contributed to his death — though he later admitted during cross-examination from the prosecution that he wasn’t sure the vehicle was running.
    Fowler cited a tumor in Floyd’s lower abdomen that he said could have added to Floyd’s existing high blood pressure and caused a “sudden surge” of adrenaline to his compromised heart.
    “All of those combined to cause Mr. Floyd’s death,” testified Fowler, who now works as a private consultant and was a paid witness for the defense.
    He cited the presence of fentanyl and methamphetamine in Floyd’s system — which he said could have been an “accidental” overdose — and his “significant natural” health issues, compared with being “restrained in a very stressful situation … [that] would be considered a homicide.”
    “It’s very difficult to say which of those is the most accurate,” Fowler said. “So I would fall back to undetermined.”
  • Options
    Trump was right. Low IQ Auntie Maxine may have just messed this all up. 
  • Options
    Nice closing by the prosecution.

“You were told, for example, that Mr. Floyd died, that Mr. Floyd died because his heart was too big. You heard that testimony. And now, having seen all the evidence and heard all the evidence, you know the truth, and the truth of the matter is that the reason George Floyd is dead is because Mr. Chauvin’s heart was too small.”
  • Options
    Trump was right. Low IQ Auntie Maxine may have just messed this all up. 
    It was a stupid thing to say for sure, but nice of you to swoop in and pat your boy on the back while slandering Waters.
  • Options
    I'm guessing mistrial. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/28/jury-chauvin-trial-george-floyd/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https://s2.washingtonpost.com/car-ln-tr/316338a/607eff269d2fda1dfb55ee5e/5976284bade4e21a849ea7bf/23/71/607eff269d2fda1dfb55ee5e

The jurors

Juror #9 — Multiracial woman, 20s

She grew up in a small town in northern Minnesota and has an uncle who is a police officer in Brainerd, Minn. She was “excited” to get a summons in this case, which “everyone’s heard about, everyone’s talked about and everyone’s going to talk about long after the trial is over.”

Juror #92 — White woman, 40s

She feels White people are favored by the justice system but strongly disagrees with defunding the police. She said media coverage of Chauvin depicted him as “an aggressive cop with tax problems,” which drew a laugh from the former officer’s attorney.

Juror #27 — Black man, 30s

An immigrant who came to the United States more than a decade ago, he once lived near where Floyd was killed. The man said a friend showed him the video of Floyd’s death; afterward, he told his wife: “It could have been me.”

Choosing a jury in a high-profile case presents an unusual challenge, according to attorneys and legal experts.

Prospective jurors are already loaded with information about what happened, which can make it hard to find people who appear open to hearing the facts in court and changing their minds.

“Unless you’re living under a rock, there’s no one in Minneapolis, and probably no one in the United States, who’s not familiar with George Floyd’s death,” said Daniel S. Medwed, a law professor at Northeastern University. “You want people who have heard of the case but are willing to put aside any preexisting biases or any initial opinions about guilt or innocence.”

But knowledge of the case is not a dealbreaker, experts said. “You’re looking for a fair and impartial jury, not an oblivious jury,” Medwed said.

In Chauvin’s case, the jury selection process began months before the potential jurors started answering questions in court; the jury pool received an extensive 16-page questionnaire in the mail in December.

Potential jurors were asked if they had seen the video of Floyd’s death and, if so, how many times. They were quizzed on their media consumption and asked whether they marched in protests after Floyd died, and, if so, whether they carried signs.

Although that level of scrutiny isn’t typical in most jury trials, experts say, preemptive questionnaires have been used in prominent cases, including the Boston Marathon bombing case and the Aurora, Colo., movie theater shooting trial, in an attempt to weed people out.

Juror #91 — Black woman, 60s

A grandmother originally from South Minneapolis, she says she has a relative on the city’s police force, but they aren’t close. She expressed a positive view of the Black Lives Matter movement, saying: “I am Black. My life matters.”

Juror #44 — White woman, 50s

An executive at a nonprofit health-care advocacy group and a single mother to two teenage boys, the juror said she discussed White privilege with a Black co-worker. The co-worker’s son is the same age as the juror’s older teenager. “But my White son, if he gets pulled over, doesn’t have to have fear.”

Juror #52 — Black man, 30s

He has not seen the video of Floyd’s death in full and wonders why the other officers on the scene did not stop Chauvin. He expressed mixed views on police, saying he once saw them “body slam then mace an individual simply because they did not obey an order quick enough.” But he knows other police officers from his gym and called them “great guys.”

Jury selection for the Chauvin trial began in early March. One at a time, potential jurors were quizzed by the judge and attorneys.

Their answers were highlighted and dissected, with each side looking for evidence of bias. Some jurors were questioned for less than 10 minutes, others closer to an hour. Each side was allotted peremptory challenges, allowing them to dismiss jurors without cause. Chauvin’s defense used 14 of its 18 strikes. Prosecutors were given 10 and used eight. Hennepin County District Court Judge Peter A. Cahill, who is overseeing the case, had the unlimited ability to dismiss jurors for cause.

One woman said during jury selection that she had marched and carried a sign. A short time later, Chauvin’s defense struck her from the jury.

[Derek Chauvin trial jury seated ahead of Monday’s opening statements]

These prospective jurors were asked probing questions about their experiences with police and their views on the justice system, including whether they supported defunding the police, had ever seen police use excessive force or believed that officers treat White and Black people equally.

Jurors were pressed on their views of Chauvin, with most saying they had a “negative” view of the former officer based on the video they had seen of Floyd’s death. But Eric Nelson, Chauvin’s attorney, looked for those who said they didn’t know all the facts of the case and could put their opinions aside. “You agree there are two sides to every story?” Nelson asked one woman. “Would you be able to keep your mind open until you hear both sides?”

Attorneys also interrogated jurors about their views of Floyd, with prosecutors trying to gauge whether someone could be empathetic to his behavior at the scene. Jurors were asked if they personally knew anyone who had abused drugs. Special prosecutor Steve Schleicher also asked several jurors if they believed someone truly unable to breathe would be able to speak.

Picking the jury “is probably the most critical part of the case,” said Stew Mathews, an attorney who has represented officers in high-profile cases, including the Samuel DuBose shooting in Cincinnati and Breonna Taylor’s death in Louisville.

“It’s a gut feeling,” Mathews said. “You talk with the people, ... and those who provide responses that you feel are favorable to your position or, at the very worst, neutral, are people that you’re willing to put on your jury.”

Juror #79 — Black man, 40s

An immigrant who has been in the Twin Cities for about 20 years, he now lives in the suburbs of Minneapolis. He says his view of Chauvin is “neutral” and wants to hear more of his side before making a judgment.

Juror #118 — White woman, 20s

A newlywed social worker, she asked about Chauvin: “Was that his training to do that?” She thinks things in policing should be changed but strongly opposes cutting police funding.

Juror #131 — White man, 20s

A married accountant, he questioned why four police officers responded to a 911 call about a counterfeit $20. He also was critical of professional athletes who knelt during the national anthem.

Chauvin’s trial will unfold under a microscope. And it will be visible, in large part, to anyone who wants to watch.

In a nod to both the coronavirus pandemic and the heightened public interest, the judge is limiting seating in the courtroom but allowing the proceedings to be televised — the first time a Minnesota judge has authorized cameras to show a full criminal trial. Jurors will be blocked from the cameras’ view, though audio of their remarks during jury selection were broadcast online.

During jury selection, Cahill told prospective jurors that at some point, their names will be released, when he decides it is safe to do so. Several jurors told him they were concerned about safety, pointing to the potential of civil unrest or anger over the verdict.

“Someone who might be completely comfortable sitting on most cases in a jury trial may be completely uncomfortable because of the public attention,” said Carmen Ortiz, who, as U.S. attorney for Massachusetts, oversaw the Boston Marathon bombing prosecution.

And while their faces won’t be seen, the demographics of the jury will be scrutinized, particularly because this case involves issues of race and policing. Prosecutors have struggled to convict police officers charged in high-profile killings in the past, and the racial makeup of the juries have been criticized and highlighted.

“Having the jury be diverse will be really important in people’s sense of the legitimacy of the process,” said Joe, the law professor. “It’s important to think through who the jurors are, what their beliefs are, what their experiences are and the degree to which they’ve excluded jurors who have seen or believe there is systemic racial bias in the system.”

Juror #2 — White man, 20s

The first juror seated said he never watched the video of Floyd’s death, but he saw a video still of Chauvin on top of him. He described himself as willing to change his mind on issues.

Juror #96 — White woman, 50s

She said the video might not show the entirety of what happened, calling it “a snippet.” She also said that, in her view, Chauvin “took a different role in the situation than the other officers” who were there.

Juror #85 — Multiracial woman, 40s

A self-described “working mom and wife,” she described police officers as humans who “can make mistakes.” She also agreed that people who don’t listen to the police have themselves to blame for negative outcomes, saying: “You respect police and do what they ask.”

After both sides rest in the Chauvin case, the jury will take its instructions back to a secluded room to deliberate. How these jurors handle disagreements was raised during the selection process.

One juror was even asked to promise not to use her own experiences in making a decision. The juror is a registered nurse who had previously worked with intensive care and cardiac patients. This background could prove relevant, as Chauvin’s defense has argued that Floyd’s poor health and drug use, not the police officer’s use of force, was what killed him.

During questioning, the nurse said she could put her training aside to be impartial. But selecting an expert for the panel stood out to some of the legal experts interviewed for this article.

“When you’re picking a jury, you do want to be cautious about putting people on the jury that other jurors might defer to, that they might defer to their experience in trying to figure out an answer to whatever question they have,” said Joe, the law professor.

Juror #55 — White woman, 50s

A single mother of two who rides motorcycles in her spare time, she described being scared by the unrest that gripped Minneapolis last year. She also mentioned seeing officers confront an unarmed White teenager last summer, calling it “harassment” and saying that when she tried to intervene, an officer ordered her to stay back.

Juror #19 — White man, 30s

A corporate auditor, he said a “friend of a friend” works for the Minneapolis police but that they had not discussed the case. If there are conflicts in the jury room, he said he would reexamine his own views, but “if I still felt that my viewpoint was the one that I believed in, I think I’d stand by that viewpoint.”

Juror #89 — White woman, 50s

A registered nurse who works with ventilated patients, her medical training was highlighted during the questioning process.

Even with such a spotlight on this case, the jurors’ deliberations will be conducted in private. Everything other than the outcome will remain secret unless the jurors decide to talk to the public or attorneys involved after things wrap up.

It’s the nature of jury trials, where much of the case unfolds in public view, particularly things such as how evidence is presented, testimony given and instructions delivered to jurors, said Medwed, the professor.

“Transparency is the coin of the realm in the trial,” Medwed said, “but transparency has no currency in the deliberation room.”

Bailey reported from Minneapolis.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    How did they get this information on the jurors? Especially the quotes. Was there media in there for jury selection? 

Well it's a slow day at work and the boss is gone for the day, so here's some guesses on each juror's opinion. Just based on the snippets about them and their quotes. I'll go with guilty, not guilty, and could go either way. And these guesses are for the 3rd degree murder charge. Because manslaughter seems like an obvious conviction, and I think 2nd degree murder will likely be acquitted. 

She grew up in a small town in northern Minnesota and has an uncle who is a police officer in Brainerd, Minn. She was “excited” to get a summons in this case, which “everyone’s heard about, everyone’s talked about and everyone’s going to talk about long after the trial is over.”

------Could go either way. 

She feels White people are favored by the justice system but strongly disagrees with defunding the police. She said media coverage of Chauvin depicted him as “an aggressive cop with tax problems,” which drew a laugh from the former officer’s attorney.

-----Guilty

He has not seen the video of Floyd’s death in full and wonders why the other officers on the scene did not stop Chauvin. He expressed mixed views on police, saying he once saw them “body slam then mace an individual simply because they did not obey an order quick enough.” But he knows other police officers from his gym and called them “great guys.”

-----Guilty

An immigrant who came to the United States more than a decade ago, he once lived near where Floyd was killed. The man said a friend showed him the video of Floyd’s death; afterward, he told his wife: “It could have been me.”

-----Guilty

A grandmother originally from South Minneapolis, she says she has a relative on the city’s police force, but they aren’t close. She expressed a positive view of the Black Lives Matter movement, saying: “I am Black. My life matters.”

------Guilty, obviously

An executive at a nonprofit health-care advocacy group and a single mother to two teenage boys, the juror said she discussed White privilege with a Black co-worker. The co-worker’s son is the same age as the juror’s older teenager. “But my White son, if he gets pulled over, doesn’t have to have fear.”

------Guilty

An immigrant who has been in the Twin Cities for about 20 years, he now lives in the suburbs of Minneapolis. He says his view of Chauvin is “neutral” and wants to hear more of his side before making a judgment.

------Not guilty

-----Guilty

A newlywed social worker, she asked about Chauvin: “Was that his training to do that?” She thinks things in policing should be changed but strongly opposes cutting police funding.

-----Guilty

A married accountant, he questioned why four police officers responded to a 911 call about a counterfeit $20. He also was critical of professional athletes who knelt during the national anthem.

---Not Guilty

The first juror seated said he never watched the video of Floyd’s death, but he saw a video still of Chauvin on top of him. He described himself as willing to change his mind on issues.

-----Could go either way

She said the video might not show the entirety of what happened, calling it “a snippet.” She also said that, in her view, Chauvin “took a different role in the situation than the other officers” who were there.

-----Could go either way.....probably not guilty

A self-described “working mom and wife,” she described police officers as humans who “can make mistakes.” She also agreed that people who don’t listen to the police have themselves to blame for negative outcomes, saying: “You respect police and do what they ask.”

-----Not guilty

A single mother of two who rides motorcycles in her spare time, she described being scared by the unrest that gripped Minneapolis last year. She also mentioned seeing officers confront an unarmed White teenager last summer, calling it “harassment” and saying that when she tried to intervene, an officer ordered her to stay back.

-----Not Guilty

A corporate auditor, he said a “friend of a friend” works for the Minneapolis police but that they had not discussed the case. If there are conflicts in the jury room, he said he would reexamine his own views, but “if I still felt that my viewpoint was the one that I believed in, I think I’d stand by that viewpoint.”

-----Could go either way. 

A registered nurse who works with ventilated patients, her medical training was highlighted during the questioning process.

----Guilty

Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    How did they get this information on the jurors? Especially the quotes. Was there media in there for jury selection? 

Well it's a slow day at work and the boss is gone for the day, so here's some guesses on each juror's opinion. Just based on the snippets about them and their quotes. I'll go with guilty, not guilty, and could go either way. And these guesses are for the 3rd degree murder charge. Because manslaughter seems like an obvious conviction, and I think 2nd degree murder will likely be acquitted. 

------Could go either way. 

-----Guilty

-----Guilty

-----Guilty

------Guilty, obviously

------Guilty

------Not guilty

-----Guilty

-----Guilty

---Not Guilty

-----Could go either way

-----Could go either way.....probably not guilty

-----Not guilty

-----Not Guilty

-----Could go either way. 

----Guilty

WaPo gathered the information from the recorded, of their voices only, jury selection process.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Well that's interesting. I've never heard of that being done before, but maybe it has in high-profile cases. I remember knowing the races of the OJ jurors, but nothing more. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Well that's interesting. I've never heard of that being done before, but maybe it has in high-profile cases. I remember knowing the races of the OJ jurors, but nothing more. 
    Jury selection is an open process whereby both sides get to ask questions. All of which is recorded by the court stenographer. Seeing how this trial has been televised, cameras were in the courtroom. However, they have never been shown on tv, as far as I can tell. Same with the OJ trial, I believe, as I never saw tv images of the jurors. Artists renderings but not tv coverage. Typically, potential jurors are asked their age, occupation, maybe if they've ever been arrested, etc. Both sides are trying to find reasons for dismissal or for them to be struck. Why some are not opposed or seated and why others are struck, you'd have to ask the prosecutors and defense attorneys.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Jury selection is an open process whereby both sides get to ask questions. All of which is recorded by the court stenographer. Seeing how this trial has been televised, cameras were in the courtroom. However, they have never been shown on tv, as far as I can tell. Same with the OJ trial, I believe, as I never saw tv images of the jurors. Artists renderings but not tv coverage. Typically, potential jurors are asked their age, occupation, maybe if they've ever been arrested, etc. Both sides are trying to find reasons for dismissal or for them to be struck. Why some are not opposed or seated and why others are struck, you'd have to ask the prosecutors and defense attorneys.

Yeah I'm somewhat familiar with the process because I've been a potential juror twice. But I said I have a short attention span and "would struggle to stay focused listening to boring testimony," and was dismissed by the judge each time. I've just never seen Q&A between counsel and potential jurors be published, though I'm guessing it probably has been, but it was a case I wasn't following or something.

I'm surprised the defense didn't push hard (or maybe they did and failed) for the dismissal of the woman that said she "expressed a positive view of the Black Lives Matter movement, saying: “I am Black. My life matters.”" Good luck planting the seed of "reasonable doubt" in her.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    So Biden said today that he’s praying for “the right verdict” in the Chauvin trial, and that he called Floyd’s family after the jury began its deliberations.

What the hell is he doing? Should he really be commenting on trials like this or reaching out to the family BEFORE the verdict? And it's not just him. Politicians have been commenting on both trails and active investigations for some time now, and I don't think they should. Especially not the politicians at the very top. Like Trump defending Kyle Rittenshouse without any knowledge or what happened. Or Kamala Harris calling Jacob Blake and telling him she's proud of how he's fighting through the pain with no regard for his alleged sexual assault victim. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Verdict has been reached. Verdict will be read between 4:30 and 5. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    So a verdict has been reached, fast. Doesn't look good for the defense.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114

Pretty quick, Sounds like guilty on one of the top 2 murder charges.
  • Options

Pretty quick, Sounds like guilty on one of the top 2 murder charges.
    Yeah I think so too. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

Whelp, here we go!

Wish me luck!
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    So Biden said today that he’s praying for “the right verdict” in the Chauvin trial, and that he called Floyd’s family after the jury began its deliberations.

What the hell is he doing? Should he really be commenting on trials like this or reaching out to the family BEFORE the verdict? And it's not just him. Politicians have been commenting on both trails and active investigations for some time now, and I don't think they should. Especially not the politicians at the very top. Like Trump defending Kyle Rittenshouse without any knowledge or what happened. Or Kamala Harris calling Jacob Blake and telling him she's proud of how he's fighting through the pain with no regard for his alleged sexual assault victim. 

I think Waters put mistrial as a real possibility. As I’ve been saying too much, the left has been out of control lately, especially with the Wright incident. Chauvin is guilty as sin IMO, but the left lost the ability to speak rationally on these terrible matters. Wright was night and day entirely different. Seems we’ve learned nothing since trump nearly got reelected on three words, defund the police.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    I'm surprised it's been reached so soon which to me means that the verdict does not look good for Chauvin. I wonder if he will be stone faced like how he had his knee on George Floyd???

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001

Yeah I'm somewhat familiar with the process because I've been a potential juror twice. But I said I have a short attention span and "would struggle to stay focused listening to boring testimony," and was dismissed by the judge each time. I've just never seen Q&A between counsel and potential jurors be published, though I'm guessing it probably has been, but it was a case I wasn't following or something.

I'm surprised the defense didn't push hard (or maybe they did and failed) for the dismissal of the woman that said she "expressed a positive view of the Black Lives Matter movement, saying: “I am Black. My life matters.”" Good luck planting the seed of "reasonable doubt" in her.
    During selection can’t they dismiss for any reason? They wouldn’t have to push hard for dismissal, they just say “we release juror # x” and move on.
    Or do they actually need a reason and to be approved by the judge?
This discussion has been closed.