Options

George Floyd Protests

Comments

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Well Pelosi's off the hook because this one takes the cake...

Dave Zirin’s tweet about that Raider Twitter gaffe. I’d agree it was pretty bush league. 

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,800

Dave Zirin’s tweet about that Raider Twitter gaffe. I’d agree it was pretty bush league. 

After the verdict was announced, Floyd’s family members emphasized the importance of the Senate passing the police reform measure. In an op-ed for The Washington Post on Wednesday, Philonise Floyd called on the Senate to “begin the work of transforming policing in the United States” by passing the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act.
    “What does justice feel like?” he wrote. “It feels like maybe we can finally take a breath.”

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    mickeyrat said:

After the verdict was announced, Floyd’s family members emphasized the importance of the Senate passing the police reform measure. In an op-ed for The Washington Post on Wednesday, Philonise Floyd called on the Senate to “begin the work of transforming policing in the United States” by passing the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act.
    “What does justice feel like?” he wrote. “It feels like maybe we can finally take a breath.”

I actually posted the tweet because of the PJ reference, but I guess you want to argue that it wasn’t tone deaf. Ok. I’ll just leave this here:

If you need more information I will also leave this here: 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

I actually posted the tweet because of the PJ reference, but I guess you want to argue that it wasn’t tone deaf. Ok. I’ll just leave this here:

given the raiders included the date, my take is we've been holding our collective breath.
    I Give them the benefit of the doubt.

those nypd scumbags on the otherhand
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    omg 🤣

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

given the raiders included the date, my take is we've been holding our collective breath.

All they needed to do was make it "We" instead of "I" and it's more appropriate. The point that we were all unable to breathe until justice was served.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

All they needed to do was make it "We" instead of "I" and it's more appropriate. The point that we were all unable to breathe until justice was served.

fair enough.

the response illustrates for me the seeming current trend to look for ways to be outraged. to react emotionally with little to no critical thinking.

same with lebrons tweet,

• Options
    tbergs said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Perhaps, but they used the same font as the photo I posted! 
    The point of the tweet is Mark Davis is an out of touch billionaire, trust fund baby. How anyone could defend that guy with the Dumb and Dumber haircut is beyond me. 

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

What is amazing is that most cops will see nothing wrong in how people "police" and for the most part I tend to agree with how they conduct themselves.  When someone disagrees with you it almost always gets the response "that's racist".

is it racist or we just don't agree?

Race card gets pulled really quick nowadays.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

What is amazing is that most cops will see nothing wrong in how people "police" and for the most part I tend to agree with how they conduct themselves.  When someone disagrees with you it almost always gets the response "that's racist".

The whitest comment ever. 

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Lol aka “things said by my boss”
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yup. Or “Ok Boomer”

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Yup. Or “Ok Boomer”

That falls under things I say to my boss after he says things like “the race card sure does get played quick these days”
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    one of my favourites is "just because you're offended doesn't mean you are right". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I actually learned about it from a black writer named Richard Thompson Ford about 10 years ago.  

Not sure what I should say that is going to paint me as a racist now so I'll wait for your reply.

• Options
    one of my favourites is "just because you're offended doesn't mean you are right". 
    Wouldn't that depend on what side you're on?
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640

Only thing i’ll contribute is that the Raiders, and the Davis family in particular, are probably the least racist owners in NFL history.  
    They broke down a lot of barriers when it came to race (and gender) in pro history.  They also speak their mind and never give a f what people think.  You see both of that here
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

I actually learned about it from a black writer named Richard Thompson Ford about 10 years ago.  

Not sure what I should say that is going to paint me as a racist now so I'll wait for your reply.

Even Faux News trots out a black conservative every once in a while for some minority “cred”.  Bill Cosby (fine upstanding man) told black men to pull up their pants and talk better if they wanted to succeed.  One black writer printing something doesn’t necessarily make it a credible source that I would base my personal opinions on. 

As far as “painting you” in a certain light, I have not accused you of anything. I don’t even know you. If I were to guess, you WANT me to accuse you of being racist. It’s a constant ploy of conservatives, particularly the Tucker Carlsonites who will defend white cops to the bitter end, no matter how many black US citizens are wrongfully murdered by the people who are supposed to protect them, this ensuring the status quo remains. 

All white folk in North America are a result of centuries of European colonialism. White people have ruled the world and have committed atrocities around the world to ensure the highest standard of living at the expense of “inferior” minorities. The police are now the enforcers of that on a localized scale. Keep the minorities down (you supporting how they handle things) ensures you and your white privilege (which you may or may not admit to) lives a wonderful and comfortable life.

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Even Faux News trots out a black conservative every once in a while for some minority “cred”.  Bill Cosby (fine upstanding man) told black men to pull up their pants and talk better if they wanted to succeed.  One black writer printing something doesn’t necessarily make it a credible source that I would base my personal opinions on. 

As far as “painting you” in a certain light, I have not accused you of anything. I don’t even know you. If I were to guess, you WANT me to accuse you of being racist. It’s a constant ploy of conservatives, particularly the Tucker Carlsonites who will defend white cops to the bitter end, no matter how many black US citizens are wrongfully murdered by the people who are supposed to protect them, this ensuring the status quo remains. 

All white folk in North America are a result of centuries of European colonialism. White people have ruled the world and have committed atrocities around the world to ensure the highest standard of living at the expense of “inferior” minorities. The police are now the enforcers of that on a localized scale. Keep the minorities down (you supporting how they handle things) ensures you and your white privilege (which you may or may not admit to) lives a wonderful and comfortable life.

Don Lemon, who seems like a fine upstanding man, used to say the same thing. Not that he would dare say it now....

https://youtu.be/Oz1xQIB5WtA
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

....you're almost there...

...are there any words or phrases that you learned from black people, that maybe are not ok for you to say...???
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

Don Lemon, who seems like a fine upstanding man, used to say the same thing. Not that he would dare say it now....

https://youtu.b
    Once again, a post pointing to a comment made by a single black person, this time on television.  Do you really think he speaks for all black people? CNN is as bad as Faux News in my opinion. News-tainment isn’t for me. The last thing I want is a bunch of talking heads on a split screen telling me how to think.  I get real news and draw my own conclusions. 

My point about Cosby was he was sure taking a high road telling people how to act all the while being a serial rapist. 

I’m going to check out of this thread. The Pearl Jam fans I grew up with in the early 90s had no time for any kind of prejudice. We knew the meaning of the song WMA. Ed was singing about white privilege before it had a moniker. 

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

https://youtu.b
    Once again, a post pointing to a comment made by a single black person, this time on television.  Do you really think he speaks for all black people? CNN is as bad as Faux News in my opinion. News-tainment isn’t for me. The last thing I want is a bunch of talking heads on a split screen telling me how to think.  I get real news and draw my own conclusions. 

My point about Cosby was he was sure taking a high road telling people how to act all the while being a serial rapist. 

I’m going to check out of this thread. The Pearl Jam fans I grew up with in the early 90s had no time for any kind of prejudice. We knew the meaning of the song WMA. Ed was singing about white privilege before it had a moniker. 

I don't think he speaks for all black people. Or anybody other than himself. I just agree with him on this. And my white privilege isn't why I agree. I'm sure there's plenty of black people that would agree too. But I can't be sure, because I also don't speak for all black people. Nobody does. 

Regarding the bolded paragraph, give me a fucking break. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    static111 said:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/columbus-police-fatally-shoot-person-222318319.html Can’t stop won’t stop. They killed a 15 year old black girl that reportedly called them for help. How much is enough? Will it ever end?
    Have you seen the video? Still think this is the same?

I have and I don’t. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    static111 said:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/columbus-police-fatally-shoot-person-222318319.html Can’t stop won’t stop. They killed a 15 year old black girl that reportedly called them for help. How much is enough? Will it ever end?

I have and I don’t. 

Police shouldn't be killing anyone.  I don't understand why this is a controversial statement.
    We need to find a better way of policing.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

I have and I don’t. 

Police shouldn't be killing anyone.  I don't understand why this is a controversial statement.
    So what should police be doing when someone is lunging at another person with a knife? 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

I have and I don’t. 

In a perfect world I would agree but we do not live in that world. What would you suggest the officer of done in that video that would of saved all of the lives in the altercation? You have to factor in the odds of whatever you suggest not working out too and someone else being wounded or killed due to the inaction or weak response. You also have to factor in the cop is rolling up to the chaotic scene and does not have the luxury of sitting back pressing pause and weighing all of their options. That is where training comes in I guess but that was a human decision made to save a life and I think with the info we have was the right one. 

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    CM189191 said:
    static111 said:

I have and I don’t. 

So what should police be doing when someone is lunging at another person with a knife? 

There isn't a solution, but I'm sure it feels good to keep saying we need to find a better way when a cop shows up to a scene where individuals are armed with deadly weapons.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Insight from an alternate juror gives credit to the prosecution for presenting their case and that prior exposure had no weight in her siding with the jury's decision.
    Derek Chauvin Trial Juror Speaks Out: 'I Could Feel Their Pain' - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757
    Hobbes said:
    Insight from an alternate juror gives credit to the prosecution for presenting their case and that prior exposure had no weight in her siding with the jury's decision.
    Derek Chauvin Trial Juror Speaks Out: 'I Could Feel Their Pain' - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
    Interesting insight. She actually makes a good point and one that I felt as well regarding the defences experts not being as believable as the prosecutions. I felt that is where they had their only chance on winning the trial with something definitive from them that would ultimately bring up the reasonable doubt factor and maybe he would have got off. 
This discussion has been closed.