Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I know this is peak Neil for many, that this is a great release, and that hearing Reactor songs live is great --

-- but not "my" favorite live version of Neil.
    Not my favorite era either, but a great one.  I had an audience bootleg of this show from my trading days.   My favorite crazy horse is from sometime in the early 2000s up through greendale.  I had a bootleg from a show at the warfield from that period that just smoked! And got to see one of the only non greendale shows of the greendale tour at Bonnaroo.  Now that is my idea of my favorite Neil with Crazy Horse. Still stoked for the box set to arrive.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,648
    Only time I saw Neil and Crazy Horse was in 2001 when they opened for Dave Matthews at UVA. I thought and still think that was backwards but Dave being from Charlottesville had a lot to do with it. 

Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2021
    Only time I saw Neil Young and Crazy Horse was in 2001 in Stockholm with Black Crowes opening.

Could have seen them in 2014, but I was angry he played Stockholm instead of Gothenburg (Which he had cancelled on the day of the coincert the year before) so I thought fuck him - I'm not travelling to the other side of the country. Should have done it. But whatever.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited February 2021
    Just found Massey Hall at a Swedish store... must be some error... but tried buying it.. let's see what happens....

On my buying list, but will wait till tomorrow:

The Times (24 USD)
    Way down into the Rust Bucket (108 USD)
    Return to Greendale (30 USD)

You can also prerorder Young Shakespeare for 34 USD... hmm...

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Way Down in the Rust Bucket really is great stuff. The vinyl set is great (also a bit surprised at the amount of plastic in it, but no biggie) and the music is just superb. It's also a great pressing, as you'd expect from Neil. Delighted to have it in my collection!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    I’m only halfway thru Rust Bucket but this is what a live vinyl should sound like. These LPs are flat, dead quiet, with great sound from all ends. I’ve seen a lot of eyebrows raised that the individual LP sleeves in the box are each wrapped, but there would absolutely be more complaints if they werent and they all had splits along the spines and sleeves. A++++ all around, as expected with NY. Great release
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
    Pancho is incredible. Thanks for the link. I always lover reading his interviews.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    Pancho is incredible. Thanks for the link. I always lover reading his interviews.
    Just nugget after nugget of interesting stuff in that interview!

I love Poncho. Neil wouldn't have made it in the way he did without Poncho and the Crazy Horse boys. Great to hear that he's happy and enjoying his life. He's made a huge contribution to music over the years!
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Haven't checked the timeline in a minute. 

I see Eldorado EP is set for a May 24th release.

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Haven't checked the timeline in a minute. 

I see Eldorado EP is set for a May 24th release.

That should be when the next vinyl box set is released. John Hanlon confirmed Eldorado is in there.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    edited March 2021
    ORS Box #5 will include a TRIPLE VINYL release of Weld! 
    Arc is going to be in there too  =)

This could end up being an 8LP box, the biggest ORS so far.
    Freedom (1), Ragged Glory (3), Weld (3), Arc (1)
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Fuck yeah
    goldrush said:

The first release of Weld that my brother (grr) has is 2 records/discs/LPs then?

Would rather have the two than three, unless something is added.

THIS IS VITALOGY ALL OVER AGAAAAAAAAIN.

Man, I think I will get these "ORS boxes"... I just have to justify why I don't have the 70-era ones. Grr.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Was a volume 4 ever released?

I have volumes 2 and 3. 

I’d still love to find volume 1 at a reasonable price. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Was a volume 4 ever released?

I have volumes 2 and 3. 

I’d still love to find volume 1 at a reasonable price. 
    Box 4 - Hawks & Doves, Re-ac-tor, This Note’s For You, Eldorado - should be coming out in May.

They had to skip the Geffen years, so there’s a jump from Re-ac-tor to TNFY in this box 

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:

The first release of Weld that my brother (grr) has is 2 records/discs/LPs then?

Man, I think I will get these "ORS boxes"... I just have to justify why I don't have the 70-era ones. Grr.
    There’s a lot of music crammed onto Weld though. Each disc is an hour long so a 3LP version should sound a lot better.

(Tim Rogers)
    edited March 2021
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:

There’s a lot of music crammed onto Weld though. Each disc is an hour long so a 3LP version should sound a lot better.
    Yeah. I know. And I'll get it. But I still want my brothers (pristine) Weld as interest for the loan to his car he was to pay me back in October but didn't.

Also, I can start with OAR box number 5. I do not need remasters of those albums in OAR 4. The original ones I have are enough. Really like "This Notes for You" though. Should be noted.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited March 2021
    Been listening to Rust Bucket regularly on the NYA stream. Love it!

Probably going to hold off on the vinyl set now that the ORS 5 box is coming.

I also see ORS 6 is on the docket as well. Any word if it’ll be Harvest Moon, Unplugged, Sleeps with Angels, and Mirrorball? The order makes sense.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
    Been listening to Rust Bucket regularly on the NYA stream. Love it!

Probably going to hold off on the vinyl set now that the ORS 5 box is coming.

I also see ORS 6 is on the docket as well. Any word if it’ll be Harvest Moon, Unplugged, Sleeps with Angels, and Mirrorball? The order makes sense.
    Yeah, I think ORS 6 will be Harvest Moon, Unplugged, Sleeps With Angels, and Mirror Ball.
    I originally thought Harvest Moon could be in Box 5, but Arc and the bigger Weld would bump it to 6. I asked NYA but didn’t get a response.

(Tim Rogers)
    CUZ BABY WE WERE BORN TO RUUUUN

https://youtu.be/rP7IemzEYBE
    edited March 2021
    Colorado is really growing on me the past week. Didn't put much time into it when it was delivered but I've given it a few spins lately and it's a great album. "Green Is Blue" is a fantastic song. In fact, lots of surprisingly great songs here.
    Post edited by Edved82 on
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    edited March 2021
    I went ahead and bought Rust Bucket and am really enjoying it. Since I am only newly a fan of his I have no reference, but this is good.
    Is there anything vinyl I should jump on now because it might not be available in the near future?
    Post edited by lexicondevil on
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    I went ahead and bought Rust Bucket and am really enjoying it. Since I am only newly a fan of his I have no reference, but this is good.
    Is there anything vinyl I should jump on now because it might not be available in the near future?
    The only Neil releases that seem to go out of print are the those that are a part of the Performance Series. They have “PS” on the spine (see your copy of Rust Bucket). With that said, Live at Massey Hall is kind of regarded as one to own. It appears to be OOP, but it seems like they keep finding batches in warehouses from time to time that pop-up on Amazon once or twice a year. 

If you like Rust Bucket, Weld will be released later this year. Although, I enjoy Rust Bucket, I like Weld more. Otherwise, Live Rust is a great live album that is easy to find. 

If you’re going to go down the Neil path, you might as well start at the beginning. If you don’t want to buy a bunch of physical stuff, get a subscription to the Neil Young Archives. It’s $20 a year and you get streaming access to everything that has been released so far. FYI, the phone app is a bit wonky, but it’s not terrible.
    Some background notes on the long-awaited Toast record

(Tim Rogers)
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    The only Neil releases that seem to go out of print are the those that are a part of the Performance Series. They have “PS” on the spine (see your copy of Rust Bucket). With that said, Live at Massey Hall is kind of regarded as one to own. It appears to be OOP, but it seems like they keep finding batches in warehouses from time to time that pop-up on Amazon once or twice a year. 

If you like Rust Bucket, Weld will be released later this year. Although, I enjoy Rust Bucket, I like Weld more. Otherwise, Live Rust is a great live album that is easy to find. 

If you’re going to go down the Neil path, you might as well start at the beginning. If you don’t want to buy a bunch of physical stuff, get a subscription to the Neil Young Archives. It’s $20 a year and you get streaming access to everything that has been released so far. FYI, the phone app is a bit wonky, but it’s not terrible.
    Thank you!

1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    Edved82 said:
    Colorado is really growing on me the past week. Didn't put much time into it when it was delivered but I've given it a few spins lately and it's a great album. "Green Is Blue" is a fantastic song. In fact, lots of surprisingly great songs here.
    Colorado is great.  Shut It Down and help me lose my mind are great to crank.  The only song I don’t really get into is the  first song on the album.  I really enjoy it and I really love the guitar tones on Eternity and She Showed Me Love.  I really do miss Poncho though.  Nils is great, but it’s just not the same.
    Scio me nihil scire

static111 said:
    Edved82 said:
    Colorado is great.  Shut It Down and help me lose my mind are great to crank.  The only song I don’t really get into is the  first song on the album.  I really enjoy it and I really love the guitar tones on Eternity and She Showed Me Love.  I really do miss Poncho though.  Nils is great, but it’s just not the same.
    Shut It Down is great. There’s a really cool scene in the Mountaintop movie where Neil, Billy and Nils are completely locked into the riff. It just makes you want to turn it all the way up!

(Tim Rogers)
    Gateaway of Love is a masterpiece.