Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    Somewhat used to it since Neil cancellig in 2013 and Pearl jam cancelled on me in 2022 in Prague…

… But I was flying over from Sweden for two Neil shows :/

Now I guess I’m gonna eat the costs, save a lot more and skip the trip. 

Cancelling 3 months ahead for health reasons doesn’t sound super. Howfully everyone in Neils camp get’s better!
    In this day and age it’s probably better to not travel great distances to see shows! 
    Yeah :/
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,482
    Ryan said:
    Neil and The Horse was my 50th bday present from my folks; was going with my dad. Was also the kickoff to my summer concert extravaganza. 

Super bummed about this. This is the second time he’s cancelled Winnipeg. First was 2005 (aneurysm-obviously not his fault) when he promised to make it up to us (he didn’t). 
    In 2005 in Wpg he had to cancel his appearance at the Junos, then he came back in 2006 with CSNY, played here with a rock band (not Crazy Horse) in 2008, then did a pair of acoustic shows in 2010.  Then he was here with Crazy Horse in 2012, solo in 2014 and two shows with Crazy Horse in 2019.  I’d say that’s lots in the past 20 years and since the Junk cancellation which would have likely been 1-2 songs.
    Yeah, he’s been here lots. When he said “I’ll make it up to you” about the Junos, to me that doesn’t mean buying another ticket to see him. 

I went to the CSNY show, which kinda sucked since the entire show centered around US politics. Haven’t made a show of his since. His acoustic shows were so incredibly overpriced he kinda pissed me off. 😂 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,788
    Somewhat used to it since Neil cancellig in 2013 and Pearl jam cancelled on me in 2022 in Prague…

Cancelling 3 months ahead for health reasons doesn’t sound super. Howfully everyone in Neils camp get’s better!
    In this day and age it’s probably better to not travel great distances to see shows! 
    This sucks. So sorry for all those who had tickets. 😔 

I have definitely been rethinking my travel to shows approach. For this PJ tour, I only got tickets for Philly, which I will be driving to. It’s about the limit for me for a drive, but that way I can get a 24 hour cancellation hotel and hopefully keep my money in to a minimum (i.e. not eating charges on a flight).

I had this issue with PJ Vegas ‘22, and I went ahead with the trip because I would have lost the money. Thankfully I was able to work in lots of cool stuff to see and make it worthwhile, but still a bummer.

Positive thoughts for Neil and company, hoping they are okay.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    Folks, keep in mind that it takes longer to recover from things when you get old.  A cold, a virus, hell, even a bug bite or a cut on the finger takes a lot longer to get over.  Taking time to heal is majorly important move and I'm really glad the Horse is taking time to heal

Long live The Horse!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited June 28

This sucks. So sorry for all those who had tickets. 😔 

I have definitely been rethinking my travel to shows approach. For this PJ tour, I only got tickets for Philly, which I will be driving to. It’s about the limit for me for a drive, but that way I can get a 24 hour cancellation hotel and hopefully keep my money in to a minimum (i.e. not eating charges on a flight).
    Yeah. Feeling a bit panic-attackigy... have "no" interest in the american westcoast (outside of seeing Neil Young and/or Neil Young + PJ) so now I'm dropping more money then I ever have on a trip there by my self without any Neil.

At the same time - there's always Quentin Tarantino's cinema and the Elm Street house :) If I decide to go. Might eat the flightcost and the Ohana-ticket and stay home. Have some time thinking about it :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,719
    If you have everything booked, then go. Pearl Jam x 2, Crowded House, Cat Power, Breeders, etc. right on the ocean. Go early, throw a blanket down and enjoy. It is a great time.
    Get_Right said:
    If you have everything booked, then go. Pearl Jam x 2, Crowded House, Cat Power, Breeders, etc. right on the ocean. Go early, throw a blanket down and enjoy. It is a great time.
    Would have loved Pearl Jam x2 + Alanis Morrisette. But don't have a ticket to Sunday because I was going to see Neil Young in LA that night :) Maybe now I can look for one though ofc. We'll see :)
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Posts: 2,557
    Just got an email that the refund will come through…on the date of the cancelled show. Feels a bit like a slap in the face but it is what it is, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309
    Just got an email that the refund will come through…on the date of the cancelled show. Feels a bit like a slap in the face but it is what it is, lol.
    For Ohana, or a Neil specific show?
    mrussel1 said:
    For Ohana, or a Neil specific show?
    The second Toronto show, July 8th. 

edited June 29
    And the refund has gone through so I’ll shut up again, lol.

Edit: I’m still disappointed, this was going to be my first time seeing Neil, but it is what it is and I can’t fault them for prioritizing their health. Fingers crossed for a replacement show later, lol.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,453
    In more positive NY news… Early Daze is fantastic! I definitely think everyone should check this one out, it’s a real gift.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    In more positive NY news… Early Daze is fantastic! I definitely think everyone should check this one out, it’s a real gift.

I'm watching the mail every day in anticipation!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Sounds great.

Relistened to Toast also. Just pure magic.
    Anyone ever get their Fuckin’ Up cd for ordering tickets to a show? My show was back in May, got a shipping number, but it never went out. Tried emailing the customer service, but nothing.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,554
    yeah. Like 2 weeks after it was released.

edited July 2
    Ugh. Back to the unhelpful TM!

Thanks!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,482
    Anyone ever get their Fuckin’ Up cd for ordering tickets to a show? My show was back in May, got a shipping number, but it never went out. Tried emailing the customer service, but nothing.
    pm me. I have an extra. I'll send it to you no charge. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Sorry to say this, but these days it seems like every time get get a Neal Young LP I think it will be my last.  I'm sure the music is great here (I haven't had time to listen, but right off I notice:
    -The vinyl edges are rough and sharp and already have nicked a finger while running it through my Spin Clean.  Handling when playing will be an issue.
    -Minor dish-warp.  Likely not an issue for playing, but this is not a thin floppy disc, so any dish-warp is uncalled for.
    -Inner sleeve is heavy card stock.  Pulling the LP out for cleaning automatically gave this record its first minor, unnecessary scuff.
    Bummer! If you get a copy, remove carefully and have a quality sleeve such as a Sleeve City Ultimate inner on hand.  You will want one.
    -Once again, Neil Young, major advocate for the environment used far more resources for a single LP than necessary:  Gate-fold sleeve for single LP, heavy card-stock inner requiring replacement inner, extra insert with lyrics.  WAY too many resources for one LP, Neil!

• qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 781
    Nice one Hugh, you beat me to it.

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,126
    brianlux said:
    Sorry to say this, but these days it seems like every time get get a Neal Young LP I think it will be my last.  I'm sure the music is great here (I haven't had time to listen, but right off I notice:
    -The vinyl edges are rough and sharp and already have nicked a finger while running it through my Spin Clean.  Handling when playing will be an issue.
    -Minor dish-warp.  Likely not an issue for playing, but this is not a thin floppy disc, so any dish-warp is uncalled for.
    -Inner sleeve is heavy card stock.  Pulling the LP out for cleaning automatically gave this record its first minor, unnecessary scuff.
    Bummer! If you get a copy, remove carefully and have a quality sleeve such as a Sleeve City Ultimate inner on hand.  You will want one.
    -Once again, Neil Young, major advocate for the environment used far more resources for a single LP than necessary:  Gate-fold sleeve for single LP, heavy card-stock inner requiring replacement inner, extra insert with lyrics.  WAY too many resources for one LP, Neil!
    NY is my second favorite solo artist of all time (Bob Dylan is #1), but NY's decisions the past twenty years or so have really turned me off.  Shitty vinyl, stupid gadgets, books that focus on cars more than music, dropping off Spotify and then crawling back, a few terrible albums..... it all adds up.  
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
    Thanks dude! I’ll keep you in mind as I’m waiting for word back from TM. I’m in a chat with them. You might hear from me tomorrow though. 🙏 
    brianlux said:
    NY is my second favorite solo artist of all time (Bob Dylan is #1), but NY's decisions the past twenty years or so have really turned me off.  Shitty vinyl, stupid gadgets, books that focus on cars more than music, dropping off Spotify and then crawling back, a few terrible albums..... it all adds up.  

His later work is sketchy at times, that's very true, although I do like some of it quite a lot.

That said (and sorry for my earlier grousing folks, although it's all true) THIS RECORD IS GREAT!  The LP starts off with a somewhat weak with Dance, Dance, Dance, but then really soars.  To my ears, Winterlong here is the finest version I've heard.  The rest of the first side is really excellent, with a couple of less famous but superb numbers!
    Side two:  I love this version of Look at all the Things.  What a treat to get some sweet Danny W. singing without the (I found to be) irritating echoing of the original. Even though I don't hear the credited backing vocal, Helpless is sweet, Birds as well, and here the backing vocals are nice!  I'm not as crazy about the vocals on this Down By the River, but it's worth it for the cool mix  of those famous guitar parts. 
    And despite previously mentioned issues, the vinyl here sounds great!

A superb LP!

brianlux said:

Agreed, his shift in the production quality of his vinyl in the last few years has been disappointing. Glad Bellman is still cutting though.

this is one of the few NY albums I have bought on day 1 in the past few years and I'm really happy I did. Its fantastic. What a great alternative perspective on such classic tunes.

• Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    Been feeling worried about Neil and the Horse lately. Hope the guys are doing okay.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    Edved82 said:
    Been feeling worried about Neil and the Horse lately. Hope the guys are doing okay.

Yeah, same here, and nothing new in the news.  Anybody heard anything lately?

• goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,453
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:

The only update on NYA is a brief note at the top of the Letters page, and one reply:

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    Edved82 said:

The only update on NYA is a brief note at the top of the Letters page, and one reply:

Thanks! 
    "Recovering" sounds hopeful!

• darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,547
    It seems unfair that Pearl Jam (who were among the first to cancel their tour back in 2020) and Neil Young (who put off touring until long after others had resumed) are dealing with health issues.