Cancelled!

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    dankind said:
    Huck Finn is a turd.
    Haha!

My very first A+ essay was titled "Fuck Finn."
    My first college A+ essay was titled "Green Eggs & Hamlet"

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    One big thing that is being missed here is that the decision was made by the organization that promotes and protects Geisel‘s estate, not an outside body. Is it really “cancelling” if the artists themselves or their estate makes the decision to withdraw works or cease publication? Why shouldn’t people be allowed to cease production or publication of works they own, if they don’t think they are relevant or appropriate any longer? 
    I'm betting they felt pressure from some outside forces to take that action though.
    Maybe, or maybe not. In any event, they have the right to decide. 

https://apple.news/AdByanklnRqWRw5FkIjI1lg
    It will only be a matter of time before Huck Fin and To Kill a Mockingbird join these books.  It has always been in talks about being banned.

Anyone ever see the latest rendition on Broadway?  I really wanted to go see it but the world stopped and didn't have the chance.  I was very curious if they omitted the N word during it?
    Those books have been banned by different organizations somewhere in the neighborhood of as far back as I can remember. And no one got hurt.
    Full monte ban though and not just a partial.
    I don't know what a full monte ban is. Like government intervention DPK-style shit? If so, that's boogeyman bullshit, and you're smarter than that, even if you are a No. 1 asshole.

I guess a publisher/estate could conceivably decide to stop printing these books, as is their prerogative as private businesses/stewards of the titles. Twain is public domain at this point, so it would be strictly symbolic; you and I can print and sell copies of that thing if we wanted to (pending proper licensing, etc., of course :wink: )

Personally, I could have done without Twain. I've never returned to his writing after reading works that were assigned. And he might be the only classic literary author I can say that about. No redeemable value for me. Some people think he's funny, but his brand of humor never struck a chord with me.
    I could see a "market manipulation" if you will.  A group of people get together and say "what else can we make a fuss about" just to see if they can do it.

This is happening with a 1991 Don Zimmer baseball card.  It's worth 10 cents but market manipulation drove it up to $20...  With the power of influencing and social media every thing is open for reinterpretation.

I used those two works because they are easy targets and just getting a convo started asshole #2.   :)
    Ha.  It worked!
  • Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    Call me crazy, but this portrayal of Africans isn’t a part of my culture that I feel needs protecting or preserving. 

We don’t have to pretend it never existed (that might be worse), but if the people publishing this don’t want to continue publishing it, I don’t see that as a bad thing.

This!!

How many on here have even heard of the 6 books that they are taking away before they broke the news. I looked up the books and when I saw this image I saved it to my phone for anyone I may know who says this is so dumb.

Things change over time and we need to learn to change with them , also this was not cancelled , this was straight from the  Seuss foundation.

That is like if I deleted my profile on here and then someone said Peral Jam cancelled me.

We seem to all have such quick knee jerk reactions to some of these things.

Have you seen the original Teen Wolf , extremely homophobic , the use the F bomb ( in regards to being gay ) a number of times in the movie. Just does not feel right when I saw it a few years back after not seeing it since the 80's.

Some things just don't age well and we should move on.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Call me crazy, but this portrayal of Africans isn’t a part of my culture that I feel needs protecting or preserving. 

We don’t have to pretend it never existed (that might be worse), but if the people publishing this don’t want to continue publishing it, I don’t see that as a bad thing.
    Does the book actually refer to them as people or Africans? Because this drawing doesn't even look like it is a person, and knowing how often he makes up animals in his books I wouldn't see this picture and think these are meant to be people at all, unless the reading said they were.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Matts3221 said:

This!!

How many on here have even heard of the 6 books that they are taking away before they broke the news. I looked up the books and when I saw this image I saved it to my phone for anyone I may know who says this is so dumb.

Things change over time and we need to learn to change with them , also this was not cancelled , this was straight from the  Seuss foundation.

That is like if I deleted my profile on here and then someone said Peral Jam cancelled me.

Have you seen the original Teen Wolf , extremely homophobic , the use the F bomb ( in regards to being gay ) a number of times in the movie. Just does not feel right when I saw it a few years back after not seeing it since the 80's.

But the question is, should Teen Wolf be taken off of every streaming service and made unavailable because of that? 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    mace1229 said:

Does the book actually refer to them as people or Africans? Because this drawing doesn't even look like it is a person, and knowing how often he makes up animals in his books I wouldn't see this picture and think these are meant to be people at all, unless the reading said they were.

Matts3221 said:

This!!

But the question is, should Teen Wolf be taken off of every streaming service and made unavailable because of that? 

Why are people acting like Dr Seuss books have been banned and pulled off of shelves? Has no one done any independent research into this non-story? 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/dr-seuss-is-not-canceled-but-six-of-his-books-are-being-shelved-over-racist-images-11614704645

"Last week, reports also surfaced that Loudoun County Public Schools in Virginia had banned Dr. Seuss books. But the school district clarified in a statement on Feb. 27 that Dr.Seuss books are still available in its libraries and classes, and students can freely check them out. The school had simply decided to distance Read Across America Day from Dr. Seuss’s birthday due to the “strong racial undertones” in some of the books that he wrote and illustrated."
    edited March 2021
    mace1229 said:

Yeah, even after reading that I wouldn't look at this picture and think these are African people. Especially since the book is all about made up exotic creatures. I would assume they are just more made up creatures, they don't resemble people to me other than walking on 2 legs. Thats just what I see when I look at this, and given the context of the book and his style. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Yeah, even after reading that I wouldn't look at this picture and think these are African people. Especially since the book is all about made up exotic creatures. I would assume they are just more made up creatures, they don't resemble people to me other than walking on 2 legs. Thats just what I see when I look at this, and given the context of the book and his style. 

Yikes
    Why is that yikes? Pictures of things that don't really resemble people, their faces and body shape don't resemble a person, in a book about made up animals, and I don't immediately think it is a racist depiction of a person? I could be wrong, but why is that alarming that I didn't immediately jump to the same conclusion?
    I think I have this at home and read it 2 or 3 times to my kids and don't even remember thinking anything of it. I might find it, open it and ask them what they think this picture is of.
    Matts3221 said:

This!!

Why are people acting like Dr Seuss books have been banned and pulled off of shelves? Has no one done any independent research into this non-story? 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/dr-seuss-is-not-canceled-but-six-of-his-books-are-being-shelved-over-racist-images-11614704645

"Last week, reports also surfaced that Loudoun County Public Schools in Virginia had banned Dr. Seuss books. But the school district clarified in a statement on Feb. 27 that Dr.Seuss books are still available in its libraries and classes, and students can freely check them out. The school had simply decided to distance Read Across America Day from Dr. Seuss’s birthday due to the “strong racial undertones” in some of the books that he wrote and illustrated."
    I’m well aware that it’s six books being shelved. Thanks for providing that “independent research” nevertheless though. 

So if those six books are deemed racist now and won’t be published anymore, why is it a stretch to ask if Teen Wolf (rated PG) can’t be removed from streaming for now being considered homophobic? 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Literary allusion seems pretty obvious here.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Look at this thread.  And you wonder why the GOP will be running primarily on cancel culture in 2022. And why it will work.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    Matts3221 said:

This!!

Not my decision to make , I just would not watch it. However if the company that made the movie pulled it for that reason it would be their choice and I don't have an issue with that.

Same as the Seuss book. It was the Seuss foundation and they decided last year to do this.

Matts3221 said:
    Matts3221 said:

This!!

Not my decision to make , I just would not watch it. However if the company that made the movie pulled it for that reason it would be their choice and I don't have an issue with that.

Same as the Seuss book. It was the Seuss foundation and they decided last year to do this.

That’s fair enough. But let’s say for the sake of conversation that you owned the rights to Teen Wolf and could pull it, would you? And I mean pull it for the homophobic language, not because it’s a terrible movie lol 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Matts3221 said:

This!!

I’m well aware that it’s six books being shelved. Thanks for providing that “independent research” nevertheless though. 

So if those six books are deemed racist now and won’t be published anymore, why is it a stretch to ask if Teen Wolf (rated PG) can’t be removed from streaming for now being considered homophobic? 

Considering the way the word "banned" was being thrown around, I felt the clarification was necessary. 

To your second point: Wouldn't libraries be more comparable to streaming services than the publishing company? 

If the movie studio was re-releasing Teenwolf every couple of years, I feel like that would be a more apt comparison. They aren't however... the movie is still available, as are the Dr Seuss books. 

And eventually, if these 6 Dr Seuss books and / or Teenwolf fade into oblivion because society deems them to be outdated which happens with a lot of art & media, I don't think the world will go for want. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Matts3221 said:

This!!

I wouldn't be averse to a disclaimer before PG/PG-13 homophobic/racist/sexist Gen X flicks such as Teen Wolf, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Monster Squad, The Sandlot, Adventures in Babysitting, etc. I think it would be especially helpful for parents of a certain age to both revisit an old favorite and have a conversation with their children. Or perhaps choose to skip it because they don't wish to have such a conversation at that particular time.

Revenge of the Nerds? I mean, we're supposed to cheer on a rape in that one -- basically the felony version of the juvenile sexual assaultt championed by The Sandlot. Revenge of the Nerds is rated R, I guess, but it might be nice to have a disclaimer there, too.

Nothing being canceled here. Just a little heads up from the production company or service. Hurts no one. Helps many.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

He has many books with people and they actually look like people. Many of his books use made up creatures. This book is all about finding made up exotic creatures. These look more like trained monkeys than people to me. So if his intent was to depict African people, then yes that is a very racist depiction, But knowing  the book, the lack of reference to any people, the use of made up animals, knowing he can actually draw a person, I do not look at this picture and see African people. Thing 1 and Thing 2 look more like people than this drawing. Other made up creatures he has used look more like people than this picture to me. I could have read this book 100 times and never thought these were African people if this story didn't break. 
    dankind said:
    Matts3221 said:

This!!

I wouldn't be averse to a disclaimer before PG/PG-13 homophobic/racist/sexist Gen X flicks such as Teen Wolf, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Monster Squad, The Sandlot, Adventures in Babysitting, etc. I think it would be especially helpful for parents of a certain age to both revisit an old favorite and have a conversation with their children. Or perhaps choose to skip it because they don't wish to have such a conversation at that particular time.

Revenge of the Nerds? I mean, we're supposed to cheer on a rape in that one -- basically the felony version of the juvenile sexual assaultt championed by The Sandlot. Revenge of the Nerds is rated R, I guess, but it might be nice to have a disclaimer there, too.

Nothing being canceled here. Just a little heads up from the production company or service. Hurts no one. Helps many.

Yeah I remember showing Teen Wolf to our nephew a handful of years ago.  Think he was 12. 
    Wished I had watched since I was a kid, there were some parts I probably would have waited on.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    mace1229 said:
    tbergs said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

He has many books with people and they actually look like people. Many of his books use made up creatures. This book is all about finding made up exotic creatures. These look more like trained monkeys than people to me. So if his intent was to depict African people, then yes that is a very racist depiction, But knowing  the book, the lack of reference to any people, the use of made up animals, knowing he can actually draw a person, I do not look at this picture and see African people. Thing 1 and Thing 2 look more like people than this drawing. Other made up creatures he has used look more like people than this picture to me. I could have read this book 100 times and never thought these were African people if this story didn't break. 
    Their mouths look like how black people were portayed in Minstrel shows. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    OnWis97 said:
    Look at this thread.  And you wonder why the GOP will be running primarily on cancel culture in 2022. And why it will work.

Why, did Pelosi or Schumer cancel anyone this term?
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    Hilarious that cons are complaining about “cancel culture.” Anyone remember Anita Bryant trying to cancel gays? How about trying to cancel Piss Christ? Maybe you remember Madonna’s Like a Virgin? Or Robert Maplethorp? Maybe you heard of the Dixie Chicks or GWB cancelling patriotic Americans if they didn’t rah rah war with Iraq? Bunch of snowflakes.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Can someone explain to me why my personal favorite Seuss book "McElligot's pool" got lumped in with the other books?  The book is about a child's imagination, I cant really think of any racist images.  Anybody have a clue?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Matts3221 said:

This!!

Considering the way the word "banned" was being thrown around, I felt the clarification was necessary. 

To your second point: Wouldn't libraries be more comparable to streaming services than the publishing company? 

If the movie studio was re-releasing Teenwolf every couple of years, I feel like that would be a more apt comparison. They aren't however... the movie is still available, as are the Dr Seuss books. 

And eventually, if these 6 Dr Seuss books and / or Teenwolf fade into oblivion because society deems them to be outdated which happens with a lot of art & media, I don't think the world will go for want. 
    Well even though I’ve referenced these Seuss books (since it’s topical today) and Teen Wolf (since someone brought it up), I guess I’m trying to speak in a more general sense to this post-George Floyd world where everything is getting dissected for racial faults. And not just books and movies, but stuff like schools in San Francisco removing Lincoln and Washington from their school names because they owned slaves. At this rate, this country might not even be called the United States years from now because it was named that by a bunch of evil white guys that owned slaves. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Matts3221 said:

This!!

Well even though I’ve referenced these Seuss books (since it’s topical today) and Teen Wolf (since someone brought it up), I guess I’m trying to speak in a more general sense to this post-George Floyd world where everything is getting dissected for racial faults. And not just books and movies, but stuff like schools in San Francisco removing Lincoln and Washington from their school names because they owned slaves. At this rate, this country might not even be called the United States years from now because it was named that by a bunch of evil white guys that owned slaves. 
    I mean, the only reason for even naming things is as a reference. Nobody should really be offended or upset if something gets renamed. How many times have countries and cities in other parts of the world been renamed? Times changes, culture changes and you either adapt and evolve or become extinct. Happened long before people could post their outrage on social media and it will continue to happen.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Matts3221 said:
    Matts3221 said:

This!!

That’s fair enough. But let’s say for the sake of conversation that you owned the rights to Teen Wolf and could pull it, would you? And I mean pull it for the homophobic language, not because it’s a terrible movie lol 
    Me personally , if i did own it i would have a disclaimer before it began just saying that their are words that are hateful towards the LQBTQ community. I would also let them know car surfing is not ok. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    mcgruff10 said:
    Can someone explain to me why my personal favorite Seuss book "McElligot's pool" got lumped in with the other books?  The book is about a child's imagination, I cant really think of any racist images.  Anybody have a clue?
    It was the Eskimo fish I believe. 

The Eskimo Fish featured in McElligots Pool
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    It was the Eskimo fish I believe. 

The Eskimo Fish featured in McElligots Pool
    Seriously?  The book was pulled because that picture is thought to be racist?