Options

Cancelled!

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    what's funny is that any rational person could see that Pepe was cringe, and the female cat always gave him his comeuppance. 

this is the metoo version of banning the violence in bugs bunny cartoons. I can understand it, even if I think it's kinda dumb. 

not one kid bought an acme anvil and accidentally dropped it on their own head because of a faulty catapult. 

sometimes these things go too far. I get it with some things, other things you just have to roll your eyes. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    I see both sides of this. 

Watching those shows as a kid I always knew he was in the wrong... but it's weird to have an over-sexed / overly horny character constantly & aggressively pursuing a perpetually uninterested target in a program intended for children. 

I don't think I or anyone else is any worse off for having grown up with this, but it is an odd character for a children's show. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014

Watching those shows as a kid I always knew he was in the wrong... but it's weird to have an over-sexed / overly horny character constantly & aggressively pursuing a perpetually uninterested target in a program intended for children. 

I don't think I or anyone else is any worse off for having grown up with this, but it is an odd character for a children's show. 
    Isn't that the point? That he's a weird character to have in a kid's cartoon. Weren't pretty much all of the characters in the golden age of animation just silly pointless characters? That's what made them. You have a bad hunter obsessed with catching the same rabbit, Foghorn who is a rooster and a southern socialite. A Coyote who is obsessed with catching the same bird with elaborate traps that never work. You could probably find a reason for every single character of that era to not be shown today for violence or stereotypes. I don't think anyone is worse off for having seen those cartoons, nor did any kid grow up thinking those behaviors are normal or acceptable. 

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    mace1229 said:

Isn't that the point? That he's a weird character to have in a kid's cartoon. Weren't pretty much all of the characters in the golden age of animation just silly pointless characters? That's what made them. You have a bad hunter obsessed with catching the same rabbit, Foghorn who is a rooster and a southern socialite. A Coyote who is obsessed with catching the same bird with elaborate traps that never work. You could probably find a reason for every single character of that era to not be shown today for violence or stereotypes. I don't think anyone is worse off for having seen those cartoons, nor did any kid grow up thinking those behaviors are normal or acceptable. 

It's weird to have an over-sexed / overly horny character constantly & aggressively pursuing a perpetually uninterested target in a program intended for children.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    mace1229 said:

Bolded that last part.

There are other things I remember that I liked that just aren't around anymore.  There was a Japanese beetle in Blue Racer or in Pink Panther the ant spinoff?  The WB off shoots with lines like "and a space, for the mother inlaw...", Heckyl and Jeckyl.  I liked Speedy Gonzales too.

You could get rid of Daffy Duck episodes where Bugs makes fun of his stuttering?

The list goes on and on...
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    edited March 2021
    Didn't really grow up with the Looney Tunes or the WB-characters (rented the Roadrunner VHS though when we visited our aunt once). But I know of the skunk character.

But is he written as OVERLY-HORNY or OVERLY IN-LOVE ?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Didn't really grow up with the Looney Tunes or the WB-characters (rented the Ruadrunner VHS though when we visited our aunt once). But I know of the skunk character.

he is overly in love but he's super physically agressive, where the female cat is constantly trying to escape his unwanted advances. he usually traps her in various ways so she can't get away. i can see where a lot of people would get triggered by that type of thing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    edited March 2021
    Ah okey, so the ill-smelling skunk goes after a cat? Not another skunk? Does he believe she is a skunk -- or does he think that he can DATE WAY ABOVE HIS LEAGUE?!

Yeah. I can picture there being a lot of "once comical" situations, where it is now "wait, is that cartoon character not letting that other cartoon characters leave when she clearly has told him no?"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Ah okey, so the ill-smelling skunk goes after a cat? Not another skunk? Does he believe she is a skunk -- or does he think that he can DATE WAY ABOVE HIS LEAGUE?!

Yeah. I can picture there being a lot of "once comical" situations, where it is now "wait, is that cartoon character not letting that other cartoon characters leave when she clearly has told him no?"
    From what I remember, he always thinks she is a skunk. She gets accidentally painted with a white stripe, or something else happens, that makes him think she is a skunk too. And he falls in love. And yes, is overly aggressive with his love. But I really don't see it as any different than other characters who are overly violent towards their counterpart in countless other cartoons. Its a silly premise with silly actions. Never meant to be an example or taken seriously. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    mace1229 said:

Bolded that last part.

There are other things I remember that I liked that just aren't around anymore.  There was a Japanese beetle in Blue Racer or in Pink Panther the ant spinoff?  The WB off shoots with lines like "and a space, for the mother inlaw...", Heckyl and Jeckyl.  I liked Speedy Gonzales too.

You could get rid of Daffy Duck episodes where Bugs makes fun of his stuttering?

The list goes on and on...
    I don't know if you could ever claim that no one was negatively influenced. Backyard wrestling craziness was a product of people watching WWF and then deciding to replicate it no matter how dangerous and stupid it was. Sure, no one bought an Acme Anvil, but you also couldn't go on Amazon and do so like today. I'm sure plenty of kids got hurt experimenting with their own homemade contraptions. Not really data that anyone tracked or is available for analysis.

And circling back to the whole Pepe argument, I would find it very hard to believe there was not some sort of psychological influence on children from seeing that behavior. We know media images, videos and ads have an affect on influencing cultural and behavioral norms. Whether it's objectifying women or thinking Joe Camel is cool. I would also wager that several kids re-enacted scenes of chasing girls around the playground like it was a Pepe v. striped cat scenario, whether playful and joking or not.

Bottom line, there is definitely an influence.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Didn't really grow up with the Looney Tunes or the WB-characters (rented the Roadrunner VHS though when we visited our aunt once). But I know of the skunk character.

Imagine if they actually drew the Tasmanian Devil as it is in real life when it meets a female devil?  Man would they have a hard time with nature then! 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

From what I remember, he always thinks she is a skunk. She gets accidentally painted with a white stripe, or something else happens, that makes him think she is a skunk too. And he falls in love. And yes, is overly aggressive with his love. But I really don't see it as any different than other characters who are overly violent towards their counterpart in countless other cartoons. Its a silly premise with silly actions. Never meant to be an example or taken seriously. 
    correct, but in today's climate re: unwanted sexual advances/assault, that type of character just doesn't work. if they didn't use him as he was, how would they use him at all? maybe chasing the cat around trying to apologize to her?

it's not always about "cancelling" the past, but more just moving on without things that no longer work in today's society. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    what's funny is that any rational person could see that Pepe was cringe, and the female cat always gave him his comeuppance. 

this is the metoo version of banning the violence in bugs bunny cartoons. I can understand it, even if I think it's kinda dumb. 

not one kid bought an acme anvil and accidentally dropped it on their own head because of a faulty catapult. 

sometimes these things go too far. I get it with some things, other things you just have to roll your eyes. 
    I remember when Disney, that's right, Disney, decided to not show smoking in its movies and right wing America went nuts. There's no way they won't lose their minds about stuff like this.  Does anyone really need Disney to have smoking in its movies?  No; they're just manufacturing outrage (another projection).

I think it does get tricky when you talk about past-created things aimed at kids. Lots of cartoons had some pretty bad stuff in terms of racial stereotyping, sexism, violence, etc.  And while my parents explained the context of the N-word in Huck Finn, no parents are going to be able to cover all of the out-of-date stuff we have to show our children (lest the bad guys win). Do bad sterotypes in those Suess books cause a problem? I'd argue yes. But can / should we "cancel" that? ("We" didn't cancel it, as it turns out) Probably not. But it does leave us in a sub-optimal situation of putting some bad stereotypes into the minds of impressionable children.

Of course the bottom line is that all the US Right even has anymore is "they're coming after our way of life."
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228

I just figure Pepe was French, and that's why he acted in such a manner.  ;)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Shots Fire GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    If someone had just gotten Marvin his goddamn 38 space modulator, we wouldn't even be discussing this nonsense.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611
    mace1229 said:

How do you explain Governor Andrew Cuomo's behavior?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Poncier said:

I read that Charles Boyer played a small part in Pepe’s incarnation.

Interesting that he played a quasi-Pepe in Barefoot in the Park. Victor Velasco!
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

yeah, haha, I'm sure he probably told those women "what? Pepe did it, and he's adorable!". 

people should know better. some don't. some do and do it anyway. But I cannot get on board with people thinking something is ok because a cartoon did it. maybe a child. MAYBE. but not a full grown adult. 

if Cuomo orders rocket roller skates off amazon to try to catch his dinner, I'll consider myself corrected. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    dankind said:
    If someone had just gotten Marvin his goddamn 38 space modulator, we wouldn't even be discussing this nonsense.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Let’s cancel politicians...never been a more corrupt bunch of assholes
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    but then you'd have nothing to bitch and moan about every minute of every day. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    We can, they're called elections. "Rent Is Too Damn High" guy, Cool Moose Party candidate, etc. However, you get what you pull the lever for. See POTUS, now POOTWH, November 8, 2016 to January 20, 2021.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,787
    mace1229 said:

He’s always been an arrogant, self absorbed bully who mastered the art of being a politician. I guess people are now noticing without the distraction Trump. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

He’s always been an arrogant, self absorbed bully who mastered the art of being a politician. I guess people are now noticing without the distraction Trump. 
    Anybody else think he was just a flirt but it wasn't received so well by women whom don't like older men?
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:

I blame cartoons and the devil’s music, rock and roll.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    i can't believe quagmire has not been canceled.

he is like pepe, just without most of the gross physical contact.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

Because people get the joke?
  • Options

The big difference is he is intended for adults. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,787

There was actually a reference to it in this past weeks episode.