Options

Cancelled!

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,485
    Last I checked though, Amazon didn’t ban those books, the Seuss estate decided to stop publishing them, which is their right. 

If Nirvana, or Geffen or whomever owns the rights to In Utero decided to pull “Rape Me” from streaming services & remove it from future copies of the album, wouldn’t that be their prerogative? You could argue over whether or not Cobain would agree with it, but those who own the rights can do what they want. 

Ironically enough, there’s a case to be made that Geisel would have been in favor of modifying the 6 books, as he had done before (see one of my previous posts), but since he’s passed, you can’t really go changing it now. 
    Wal Mart labeled the song "Waif me".
    Haha, that’s right! I forgot about that. 
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,157
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Because Redskins was a great team name....
    :Yawn:
    Definitely a terrible name that needed to be changed.  The Seuss books I still don’t agree with.  Maybe they could have had a disclaimer in the beginning of the book. If I can buy mein kampf on Amazon then I should be able to buy all the Seuss books.  Just my humble .02.  
    Or the Turner Diaries...
    Or The Anarchist Cookbook.

Weird how the folks who control the rights to those don't seem to mind those messages being out there....
    i don't think it is that weird. if someone can monetize something they probably will.

in the turner diaries case, like haters, racists gonna hate.
    Apologies, there's no facetious smiley, just in case anyone else here thought I seriously thought it weird that evil is as evil does.
    ooooops. lol sorry my bad.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    If Kat had any kind of sense of humor she would have locked this thread already
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    lol, that's good!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Last I checked though, Amazon didn’t ban those books, the Seuss estate decided to stop publishing them, which is their right. 

If Nirvana, or Geffen or whomever owns the rights to In Utero decided to pull “Rape Me” from streaming services & remove it from future copies of the album, wouldn’t that be their prerogative? You could argue over whether or not Cobain would agree with it, but those who own the rights can do what they want. 

Ironically enough, there’s a case to be made that Geisel would have been in favor of modifying the 6 books, as he had done before (see one of my previous posts), but since he’s passed, you can’t really go changing it now. 
    I’d never heard that.

Remember when the Stones had to change their live-sung lyrics to “let’s spend some time together”?
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I’d never heard that.

Remember when the Stones had to change their live-sung lyrics to “let’s spend some time together”?
    I can go on and on about music and censorship...  I did a report on it so I had a lot of material.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728

In a similar vein, Nirvana has an In Utero-era B-side on a soundtrack called The Beavis and Butthead Experience entitled "I Hate Myself and Want To Die." On the Walmart version of the soundtrack, it was titled "I Love Myself and Want To Hug You." 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832

In a similar vein, Nirvana has an In Utero-era B-side on a soundtrack called The Beavis and Butthead Experience entitled "I Hate Myself and Want To Die." On the Walmart version of the soundtrack, it was titled "I Love Myself and Want To Hug You." 
    YOU ARE SHITTING ME
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hahaha gold!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Frank Zappa didn’t die for this!!!
  • Options

It's just words.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877

Solid points.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    hahaha gold!
    YES! that was the AMT post of the month so far. 

cancel the canceled thread :lol:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,983

YOU ARE SHITTING ME
    YIPPIEE KI YAY MISTER FALCON!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

It's just words.

I value words. 
  • Options
     :D 
  • Options
    "i know words. i have the best words."

• Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Heh. How do you know I didn't think of it? :smiley:

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728

YOU ARE SHITTING ME
    Lol, I am. A friend tricked me into believing this and based on “Waif Me,” I was inclined to believe him. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I still can't believe Waif Me was a thing. and it's just so stupid. "rape" in that song, as I'm sure we're all aware, is a metaphor. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,764

The List: Reasons to cancel the cancel culture debate

Rep. Jim Jordan wants to hold committee hearings on ‘cancel culture,’ but maybe everyone should pump the breaks a little (OK, a lot)

Andy Downing
    Columbus Alive
    US Rep Jim Jordan R-Urbana speaks to members of the media before the Trump Victory Headquarters grand opening on Thursday Aug 20 2020 in Westerville

Earlier this week, news broke that Ohio congressman Jim Jordan called on Rep. Jerry Nadler to hold a committee hearing on “cancel culture,” a phrase that has quickly become a conservative flash point and rallying cry. 

“The wave of cancel culture spreading the nation is a serious threat to fundamental free speech rights,” Jordan writes, going on to reference decisions made by private companies, including Twitter’s decision to deplatform Donald Trump for consistently breaking the social media company’s terms of service, as well as internal staffing decisions made by The New York Times.

But more than committee hearings, what the world really needs is to finally ditch the phrase, for any number of these reasons and more.

The term has become overused to the point of meaninglessness

For years, “cancel culture” has essentially existed as a lazy stand-in for “experiencing the consequences of one’s actions,” rising out of an online dynamic in which someone would do or say something offensive to others, and then be called out for their actions. In more recent months, though, the term has become more weaponized, particularly within conservative circles, with some wielding it any time someone expresses even mild discontent with their words or actions. If everything is cancel culture, maybe nothing really is?

When “cancellation” isn’t cancellation (aka the Seuss effect)

The most recent cancel culture uproar kicked off this week when the estate of Dr. Seuss decided to remove a half-dozen titles by the late author from circulation, citing the racist depictions included within. This, of course, has led to Sean Hannity running segments on books being banned due to political correctness, Donald Trump Jr. posting photos reading The Cat in the Hat to his child (a book that exists on the shelves of many children and of which nothing remotely negative has been said) and former NYT op-ed staff editor Bari Weiss directing her followers to a site railing against the banning of Seuss’ books.

While predictable, all of this fails to recognize the reality that the books were not banned but were instead pulled by the estate, which made a business decision to remove the titles from circulation and to refrain from licensing the characters for movies or products going forward. This is something that happens all of the time, and is the type of free market decision that conservatives would normally laud. 

It’s generally not real

Try to think of some of the people who have been "canceled," and then note the platform still afforded a majority of them. Ellen DeGeneres still hosts a popular daytime talk show. J.K. Rowling continues to make a fortune exploring the Potter-verse. Even Shane Gillis, who lost a potential “Saturday Night Live” gig after videos surfaced of him making bigoted comments, has carried on doing stand-up, hosting a podcast and making national radio appearances, seemingly no worse for the wear. Oftentimes, the people who rail about how they have been canceled are able to carry on unaffected, if not somehow inflated by the experience. To that end...

Sometimes “canceled” folks emerge even more popular than before

When video footage surfaced of country star Morgan Wallen using the n-word, he was summarily put on pause by his record label and largely pulled from country radio playlists. In response to what they viewed as the singer’s cancellation, some country fans have since purchased his album en masse, leading to a surge both in physical album sales and song streams, this despite Wallen releasing a video saying that he understood and expected the repercussions to his career. And, really, there’s nothing like having fans claim an artist has been “canceled” while he’s in the midst of a weeks-long run at the top of the Billboard 200 chart to show how hollow these conversations can be.

It’s not a right- or left-wing trend, but an American one

Any time a group is particularly vocal about something, it’s a safe bet they’re also engaging in the same behaviors. So while cancel culture has most often been referenced by the right in describing the actions of the left, there’s a long list of supposedly left-leaning associates that have been targeted or boycotted by conservatives, including: Colin Kaepernick, The New York Times, Nike, Campbell’s Soup, The Dixie Chicks, Kathy Griffin, Gillette, Starbucks, James Gunn and on and on and on.

Maybe it’s time to accept that uproar and boycott are both human phenomena and stop using “cancel culture” as a means of dismissing or obfuscating what in many cases are difficult, needed conversations.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    This artist is funny as shit

This is funny, but not for the reasons you think.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001

I would bet that there was a lot of outside influence and pressure, that the decision wasn’t made by the estate alone.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,600
    Did I miss the Move On petition? Was it the outrage expressed at the National Conference of Librarians? How did we miss all the outside influence and pressure? Must have been ninja like? Like ANTIIIIIIIIIIIIFA at the capitol.

https://www.seussville.com/statement-from-dr-seuss-enterprises/

Made the decision last year. Probably at that Soros sponsored secret retreat in the woods. Skull & Bones, maybe?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,764

6 Dr. Seuss books won't be published anymore because they portray people in 'hurtful and wrong' ways

By Amanda Watts and Leah Asmelash, CNN

Updated 4:16 AM ET, Wed March 3, 2021

Six Dr Seuss books wont be published anymore Heres why

(CNN)Six Dr. Seuss books will no longer be published because they "portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong," the business that preserves the author's legacy said.

The titles are:
      • "And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street"
      • "If I Ran the Zoo"
      • "McElligot's Pool"
      • "On Beyond Zebra!"
      • "Scrambled Eggs Super!"
      • "The Cat's Quizzer"
      In a statement, Dr. Seuss Enterprises said it made the decision after consulting educators and reviewing its catalog.
      "Ceasing sales of these books is only part of our commitment and our broader plan to ensure Dr. Seuss Enterprises's catalog represents and supports all communities and families," it said.
      The announcement was made Tuesday, the birthday of the famed children's book author.
      Seuss, born Theodor Seuss Geisel, is one of the best-known authors in the world, the man behind beloved classics like "The Cat in the Hat," "Green Eggs and Ham" and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," among others. Over 650 million copies of his books have been sold worldwide, the Washington Post reported in 2015.
      But Dr. Seuss had a long history of publishing racist and anti-Semitic work, spanning back to the 1920s when he was a student at Dartmouth College. There, Dr. Seuss once drew Black boxers as gorillas and perpetuated Jewish stereotypes by portraying Jewish characters as financially stingy, according to a study published in the journal "Research on Diversity in Youth Literature."
      That study, published in 2019, examined 50 books by Dr. Seuss and found 43 out of the 45 characters of color have "characteristics aligning with the definition of Orientalism," or the stereotypical, offensive portrayal of Asia. The two "African" characters, the study says, both have anti-Black characteristics.
      Two specific examples, according to the study, are found in the books "The Cat's Quizzer: Are YOU Smarter Than the Cat in the Hat?" and "If I Ran the Zoo."
      "In ("The Cat's Quizzer"), the Japanese character is referred to as 'a Japanese,' has a bright yellow face, and is standing on what appears to be Mt. Fuji," the authors wrote.
      Regarding "If I Ran the Zoo," the study points out another example of Orientalism and White supremacy.
      "The three (and only three) Asian characters who are not wearing conical hats are carrying a White male on their heads in 'If I Ran the Zoo.' The White male is not only on top of, and being carried by, these Asian characters, but he is also holding a gun, illustrating dominance. The text beneath the Asian characters describes them as 'helpers who all wear their eyes at a slant' from 'countries no one can spell,'" the study authors wrote.
      The study also argues that since the majority of human characters in Dr. Seuss' books are White, his works -- inadvertently or not -- center Whiteness and thus perpetuate White supremacy.

Separating Seuss from children's literature

Earlier this week, a school district in Virginia made headlines for allegedly banning books by Dr. Seuss.
      But Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS), located in Ashburn, said it is not banning books by the famous children's author -- it's just discouraging a connection between "Read Across America Day," which was created to get kids excited about reading, and Dr. Seuss' birthday. Both fall on March 2, and have often been "historically connected" to each other, the district said in a statement.
      "Research in recent years has revealed strong racial undertones in many books written/illustrated by Dr. Seuss," LCPS said in its statement, which links to a School Library Journal article from 2018 about the National Education Association focusing its Read Across America efforts "on Diversity Not Dr. Seuss."

Follow CNN
      © 2021 Cable News Network.A Warner Media Company.All Rights Reserved.CNN Sans ™ & © 2016 Cable News Network.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
      you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
      memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
      another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    • Options
      Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,600
      Come to think of it, I know I saw some “Fuck Dr. Seuss” signs at the BLM Marches last year. I’m also pretty sure that Seattle burned because there was a neighborhood called “Fuck Whoville” that held out against all odds, but sadly, succumbed. I also remember one antlered dogs being used as battering rams on 1/6, with protesters shouting, “Give us Seuss or give us death (yea nance).

The fucking hilarious thing is other than To Think I Saw It On Mulberry Street, those other five titles don’t even register with me. Never saw them, never had my parents read them to me, never knew they existed. Kids. And I remember and have a copy of Little Black Sambo. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, snowflake.
      09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    • Options
      Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
    • Options
      Did I miss the Move On petition? Was it the outrage expressed at the National Conference of Librarians? How did we miss all the outside influence and pressure? Must have been ninja like? Like ANTIIIIIIIIIIIIFA at the capitol.

https://www.seussville.com/statement-from-dr-seuss-enterprises/

Made the decision last year. Probably at that Soros sponsored secret retreat in the woods. Skull & Bones, maybe?
      I said “I would bet...” implying that’s just a guess on my part.
       Not sure what any of the examples above have to do with my guess of what happened. Not every form of pressure is public, a national conference, antifa, Soros, secret retreats, etc. There are literally thousands of ways it could have happened that don’t involved public knowledge. Lot of personal meetings happen between execs, emails that I am not privy to.
    • Options
      edited March 2021
      But to answer your question more clearly, there has been public option against dr suess.. Is this the first you’ve heard of it? Was Cat In The Hat Black was a book about racism in children books published a few years ago. So yes, there has been public opinion. And I believe this public opinion influenced the estate’s decision.