The coronavirus

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    My school district voted this week to open K-4 with the jacked up hybrid (5-2 vote) and keep 5-12 virtual for the remainder of the year (4-3 vote). 

I'm in the middle of our persuasion unit, so in the two weeks leading up to the vote, students wrote letters to the school board expressing their opinion. I couldn't require them to send it, but four volunteered. It was 3-1 expressing a desire to continue online. Common refrains -- kids don't take this seriously and won't wear their masks and they don't want to bring it home. I was proud when one of the school board members addressed all of them directly at the meeting and encouraged them to continue to use their voices, that their voices were important. I played that clip in class the next day. 

I'm still working through the grading and will be curious as to where the final count lands. At the pre-writing stage, a Zoom poll revealed one third wanted to go back, one third wanted to stay home, and one third wasn't sure. 

More people need to start listening to what kids actually say, not what we want them to say. 

This. 

When we get the surveys from the district, we always have our children take them with us and go with their answers. 

If they’re not comfortable with their surroundings, constantly measuring their classmates’/educators’ proximity to them, etc., how are they supposed to focus on learning? 

The rush shouldn’t be to get certain grade levels back to school—our district/state seems to be heading in this direction as well—it should be to get those who are falling behind academically because of a lack of in-person learning. 

Many kids are doing just fine academically and happy to wait until their loved ones (and possibly themselves) are vaccinated before returning to classrooms in person, likely next school year. 

Others, of course, need help ASAP. Focus there. But that requires a minor restructuring that is likely way overdue anyway. And fuck that, right? Why improve when we can return to the status quo?

To me, the push to get all children in classrooms before the more vulnerable among us have been vaccinated (many of them parents, grandparents, guardians) seems to go against everything we’ve been doing for nearly a year and comes from a place of privilege.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    South Carolina has lifted all curfews, alcohol sale restrictions, gathering and large event attendance limits as of Tomorrow.  Basically they're just "encouraging" mask wearing and thats it.

https://www.wistv.com/2021/02/26/sc-governor-allow-alcohol-sales-past-pm-lift-covid-restrictions-gatherings/
    As SC maintains the lead for cases per capita. https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/02/26/world/covid-19-coronavirus/south-carolinas-governor-rolls-back-restrictions-but-cases-away-from-the-coast-remain-stubbornly-high
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    Hobbes said:
    South Carolina has lifted all curfews, alcohol sale restrictions, gathering and large event attendance limits as of Tomorrow.  Basically they're just "encouraging" mask wearing and thats it.

https://www.wistv.com/2021/02/26/sc-governor-allow-alcohol-sales-past-pm-lift-covid-restrictions-gatherings/
    As SC maintains the lead for cases per capita. https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/02/26/world/covid-19-coronavirus/south-carolinas-governor-rolls-back-restrictions-but-cases-away-from-the-coast-remain-stubbornly-high
    Yeah, I wouldn't use SC as an example. I used to live there and have many best friends there, in Charleston. Even the reasonable ones among them are going to clubs maskless and having backyard parties galore. The food and beverage industry especially has been crushed with cases. Hospitality is a big part of their culture in general and their biggest economic driver. Not having parties for a year hasn't really been a thing they could do successfully. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    If I asked my kid if he wanted to go to school pre covid he would have said no. If we are polling them are we taking that into account where a lot of kids just don't want to go to school unless they are forced? That muddies the results for sure. 

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited February 2021
    PJNB said:
    If I asked my kid if he wanted to go to school pre covid he would have said no. If we are polling them are we taking that into account where a lot of kids just don't want to go to school unless they are forced? That muddies the results for sure. 

If their academic performance hasn’t suffered from remote learning, then I’d say absolutely they should be permitted to continue to learning remotely.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see private remote learning programs become more popular post-pandemic among parents who’ve observed their children thriving in/preferring this model.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    edited February 2021
    dankind said:
    PJNB said:

If their academic performance hasn’t suffered from remote learning, then I’d say absolutely they should be permitted to continue to learning remotely.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see private remote learning programs become more popular post-pandemic among parents who’ve observed their children thriving in/preferring this model.

I agree it should definitely be an option through the rest of the school year. They have it set up still finish the year off with a hybrid with some at home and some at school and revisit it this fall. I am really hoping fall 2021 can have some normalcy in the schools. Safely of course. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    And just like that, one week after February break ends, we get a positive case letter from one of the schools. I hope it's just a one-off thing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see several more over the coming weeks. 
    You really need to be more specific. The school made you aware of someone that had covid, caught it elsewhere and was at school? 
    I would be more specific but HIPAA and all. 

The schools here have to inform parents if a member of their community (student body, educators, administrators, facilitators) tests positive for Covid-19. We were getting these letters daily for a while since we have kids in two of the schools (elementary and middle), but I hadn’t seen one in my inbox for a couple of weeks at least. Until yesterday.

(I should mention that the schools will send a second letter if your child is determined to have been in close contact with the positive case, which is still anonymous, of course, because HIPAA). 

Most students in my region had a week off during Prez Day week. I fear that the combination of better data leading to complacency, school break, and fresh powder may have fucked us again. 

Honestly, my kids are better off if we get more cases because that might shut down all this talk of an April school reopening. As mentioned earlier, our children (and many in a similar situation) cannot go back to school in person full time in April because our entire household has comorbidities and the vaccine rollout here (not a red state but a red-led state) has been pretty atrocious (improving now).
    Good luck to you ongoing.

HIPPA doesn’t prevent sharing the data of if covid was deemed transmitted at school or elsewhere. My school district is providing that info. 
    As far as I can recall, we have not received one letter all year regarding in-school transmission. That would surprise me. 

It won’t surprise me at all, however, to see shloads of such letters if they rush into the April reopening. 

My son’s school was built in 1911. Kids were passing out because of poor ventilation pre-Covid-19. 

This town needs an enema. 
    Yeah you mentioned the poor ventilation. Obviously part of safe protocols. Not all schools are created equal. Many can be fine and many shouldn’t open if they can’t meet the protocols 
    It seems like the key to keeping our schools safe is (at least in our district):
    socially distance as best as you can (sometimes impossible with 22 students in my class)
    don't switch classes (kids stay in the same classroom all day)
    mask up
    Helpful. Like I’ve said before though my daughter has had an entire school year in class with some classes 20. They switch classes. They wear masks, keep 3-6’ apart, plexiglass in lunchroom, hallways are 1 way, and they manage the times grips of kids can go to lockers.
    hippiemom = goodness
    dankind said:
    PJNB said:

Academics is one (a major one) aspect of school. So much more to it that is beneficial. I hope this doesn’t lead to more home schooled or online schooled kids. I personally think that would be a huge mistake for many.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Some kids would no doubt do better at home....some kids better in school.  Depends on the kid.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,393

Man that's crazy to read. I'm moving into month 5 of no socializing outside of household unless on a walk. 

As for the school chat, I'm gathering the data must be that it's the best place for the kids, because I'm doing all the aforementioned restrictions to keep them in class.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    edited February 2021
    PJNB said:

I would have thought the same thing pre-covid. My teaching experience this year has shattered almost every assumption I've held about kids and learning for over two decades.

If it's true that a lot kids wouldn't come unless forced, then I wouldn't have an almost perfect attendance rate in a 100% virtual environment with my at-risk population. Almost all of my students have no adult supervision during the day (7th grade). If they didn’t want to come, they wouldn't sign in, but they are. Some of them are babysitting with their younger siblings sitting on their lap during class. Some are hanging out with their friends in each other's houses and helping each other/keeping company [edit: probably giving each other covid]. One signed in on her phone from a hammock in some mountain village in El Salvador when she visited family for a few weeks [edit: probably bringing back covid]. The only kid I can tell is being forced is the spoiled white boy who regularly throws tantrums on the kitchen floor with his mom in the background. 

What my school has discovered in studying the attendance data is that kids are picking and choosing their classes. There are patterns for certain students and certain teachers. I feel blessed that my class is one of the consistently well-attended ones, and I feel pretty confident in my polling. I didn’t ask "do you want to go back to school?" I asked "should the school board vote to reopen on April 6 with the proposed hybrid concurrent plan?" which they needed explaining because none of the adults even talked to them about what that means. 
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2021
    So, the government now decided that if you have a café or restaurant in a galleria without "it's own door" or whatever that only a company of one (1) person is allowed to eat there. NO ONE GOES INTO A FUCKING RESTAURANT IN A GALLERI  -- WHETHER TO EAT WHEN SHOPPING IT OR GOING THERE TO EAT LUNCH DURING WORK HOURS -- AND EATS BY THEMSELVES.

SWEDEN ISN'T FILLED WITH 10 MILLION STEVEN GLANSBERGS.

So my mom, 62 years old, has been fired. And will never get another job. And the restaurant is ready to shut down.

Sweden sucks. Why can't we just New Zealand this pandemic like normal countries.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    So, the government now decided that if you have a café or restaurant in a galleria without "it's own door" or whatever that only a company of one (1) person is allowed to eat there. NO ONE GOES INTO A FUCKING RESTAURANT IN A GALLERI  -- WHETHER TO EAT WHEN SHOPPING IT OR GOING THERE TO EAT LUNCH DURING WORK HOURS -- AND EATS BY THEMSELVES.

So my mom, 62 years old, has been fired. And will never get another job. And the restaurant is ready to shut down.

Sweden sucks. Why can't we just New Zealand this pandemic like normal countries.
    Really sorry to hear that.  Stories like this are why I'm all for distancing, wearing a mask, getting vaccinated and taking precautions, but strongly against the lock downs and the restrictions that force so many thousands of businesses and families to be unable to survive
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II

Really sorry to hear that.  Stories like this are why I'm all for distancing, wearing a mask, getting vaccinated and taking precautions, but strongly against the lock downs and the restrictions that force so many thousands of businesses and families to be unable to survive
    Don’t have enough data to know. But it seems the restrictions are more than has been proven very effective. 

Sweden, like the US, was late to the game of some pretty easy measures. Hold your leaders accountable.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Johnson & Johnson intends to study their covid vaccine in children, initially between the ages of 12 to 18 and then expanding to study younger children and infants. Study of the vaccine in pregnant women is also planned. 

The J&J vaccine is not an mRNA vaccine, but rather an older technology adenovirus carrier vaccine, which is already in use for some vaccines that have been tested in children and infants.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/02/28/world/covid-19-coronavirus
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Reading this forum is like listening to a pile of people who need a safe space.  Sad as hell, and it’s exactly why we’re in the lame ass position we’re in. Man up, go to your jobs and go back to school.  Masks? Cool, if that makes you feel better, no problem there.  Just stop being daisies and get on it, merica.  Don’t be like the drawer of girls in this forum, what a bunch of sassiebunnies.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Reading this forum is like listening to a pile of people who need a safe space.  Sad as hell, and it’s exactly why we’re in the lame ass position we’re in. Man up, go to your jobs and go back to school.  Masks? Cool, if that makes you feel better, no problem there.  Just stop being daisies and get on it, merica.  Don’t be like the drawer of girls in this forum, what a bunch of sassiebunnies.
    Some folks tried that and died.

Some of their friends and families too.

Even strangers. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Because being a man beats a virus.

If you don't, you're a girl.

:lol:

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Because being a man beats a virus.

If you don't, you're a girl.

:lol:

Or a flower, apparently. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    1) Masks don’t just make people feel better. If that’s all you think they do you are ignoring the data or just being argumentative.

2) My daughter is 13 and could kick your sexist pansy ass tough guy. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    What's stopping you?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Drinking and posting.

Certainly have been there!
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,393
    If some variants are more transmissible, I wonder when they will stop reporting on "affected rows" on flights with covid?
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Hobbes said:

Yeah, I wouldn't use SC as an example. I used to live there and have many best friends there, in Charleston. Even the reasonable ones among them are going to clubs maskless and having backyard parties galore. The food and beverage industry especially has been crushed with cases. Hospitality is a big part of their culture in general and their biggest economic driver. Not having parties for a year hasn't really been a thing they could do successfully. 

Use NYC as an example. We are 12th on that list. NYS cases are down barely 50% from the January peak while the country is down over 70%. NYS is among the worst states in the country, which should be puzzling since most New Yorkers respect science and masks are worn by almost all. 

Yes it is believed the worst variant of all is in NY. What else is different here? NYC was the first big city to have widespread school openings, and in the near suburbs where I am, schools have been open for the entire school year, and now most schools are at nearly 100% building capacity 4 days a week.

yet unlike the Trump years, there is no media check here. Outside of the news last week about this new variant and nursing homes, the media never mentions that Cuomo and the state have done a horrible job on covid safety since September. The state  rewrites the rules here to keep schools open, and cases are even starting to tick up this week. NY is middle of the pack in vaccine rollout, yet getting an appointment here is almost always impossible to find.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited March 2021

Why don’t you keep quiet and turn on the lights and the heat. If it works. And read my comment earlier about schools in NY. Schools here have been open far longer than states that can’t figure out winter will hit them every ten years.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    From what I can tell, the daisiest bunch of daisies are the "I just can't wear a mask; it's uncomfortable" crowd.  I mean, it is uncomfortable, but what kind of a wussy can't deal with discomfort as a way to 1) help their fellow humans and 2) help move us closer to where we can actually do things?

Early on I envisioned that after we had our "flatten the curve"  period that we'd get to start doing some stuff and the price folks would pay would be wearing masks. Man, did I underestimate the wussiness of my fellow Americans.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 484
    Most antimaskers seem to walk around with this "say something" type attitude. That's gotta be a heavy load to bear, gotta mess with your psyche.
    A simple task like getting your children milk and eggs can become complicated. 
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,705
    Ok big man
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited March 2021

I am not against restrictions that are "needed".

But saying "You are free to have open, but you can only serve people coming in alone and sitting by themsleves" is the same as saying "we do not allow you to keep open" because de facto no one goes and eats alone. 

While other places (even resturants outside of Gallerias/malls) do not have such restrictions, or even close to them.

So it's just fucked. And my mom has to be let go because of the fuckiness.
This discussion has been closed.