Sea. Hear. Now Festival 2020 Update

Comments

• Hate to say it, but I think PJ's gonna pull out.
    wasn't the lineup already adjusted since it was pushed back a year? Believe like the Beach Boys and a few others canceled on it, PJ had a chance to do so.
    Possibly? This is nothing more than a gut feeling, though. I don't know what contractual obligations they have to stick to, but I could see them saying "hey, we're just still not totally comfortable with this." It's strange, the timing of this event is like jusssst slightly before distribution of the vaccine is widespread enough.
    I can’t see this fest happening without them.  It may well be postponed to 2022, I’m not saying that won’t happen, but I don’t see it happening in 2021 without PJ.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Hate to say it, but I think PJ's gonna pull out.
    wasn't the lineup already adjusted since it was pushed back a year? Believe like the Beach Boys and a few others canceled on it, PJ had a chance to do so.
    Possibly? This is nothing more than a gut feeling, though. I don't know what contractual obligations they have to stick to, but I could see them saying "hey, we're just still not totally comfortable with this." It's strange, the timing of this event is like jusssst slightly before distribution of the vaccine is widespread enough.
    I can’t see this fest happening without them.  It may well be postponed to 2022, I’m not saying that won’t happen, but I don’t see it happening in 2021 without PJ.  
    Yeah, I guess that would be my next hot take because of this - I agree. If they're out, then it gets pushed back again.

There's just so many logistics and social policy that still need to be worked out. Are they going to group people on the beach with their own little platforms? I just don't know how it all works out just yet. We have a shore house that I booked for this, so for numerous reasons I hope this festival does and does not happen in 2021. If all of a sudden immunizations and vax distribution ramps up more to the point where the expectation is to have the majority of people vaccinated by like July I think then it becomes more realistic. Of course, I don't think this fest happens if organizers have to wait until July for that answer.
  • I’ve never been before but it seems from the photos online that they don’t have that much space to work with so that if they have to have reduced capacity or pods they probably wouldn’t be able to have enough people there for the dollars to work out.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I’ve never been before but it seems from the photos online that they don’t have that much space to work with so that if they have to have reduced capacity or pods they probably wouldn’t be able to have enough people there for the dollars to work out.  
    Honestly, it's hard for me to think of any real festival that that isn't true for.  Once the bands are paid, location and permits paid, crew to set up and work fest paid, and all the other costs of putting it on are paid, if you only have half the attendees/ticket sales, it's hard to imagine breaking even much less making a profit, unless they were REALLY ripping us off with the prices before hand ;) 
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374

I agree... If PJ dropped I'm not sure what headliner they could secure that would be on their level.  I do think it's likely PJ would remain committed if the festival was postponed because of their friendship with Danny Clinch. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:

I agree... If PJ dropped I'm not sure what headliner they could secure that would be on their level.  I do think it's likely PJ would remain committed if the festival was postponed because of their friendship with Danny Clinch. 
    Yeah, definitely, I think another way to put it is if PJ cancels it'll be coordinated with SHN beforehand.

Looking forward to when this finally actually happens, and Eddie plays The Stone Pony and Bruce joins them onstage for the fest.  =)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Sept uhmm not sure, Faucci was on tv explaining that the infection rates are flattened but that’s not good we as a country need to have those numbers keep trending down, if we stay at 50k infections per day there’s always the possibility of spikes happening specially with what’s going on in Covid capital state of Florida!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Sept uhmm not sure, Faucci was on tv explaining that the infection rates are flattened but that’s not good we as a country need to have those numbers keep trending down, if we stay at 50k infections per day there’s always the possibility of spikes happening specially with what’s going on in Covid capital state of Florida!
    Starting to tick up in some major areas too. I really don't know how they have this go on. You'll need roughly a majority of the people vaxed (or receiving their first shot) 6 weeks out from the event. That puts us around August 1st/late July I don’t know if I see that happening unless some promising numbers come out by early May. I have to think they can't go any longer than mid-May by the time they make a decision.

Between all the fucking idiots who are already decided to not get vaccinated - nor practice proper social distancing, along with having to beg these knuckle draggers to wear a fucking mask - and everyone else who are reasonably losing their minds and feeling Spring in the air, I just unfortunately don't think we're gonna get there. I hope I am wrong.
    Starting to tick up in some major areas too. I really don't know how they have this go on. You'll need roughly a majority of the people vaxed (or receiving their first shot) 6 weeks out from the event. That puts us around August 1st/late July I don’t know if I see that happening unless some promising numbers come out by early May. I have to think they can't go any longer than mid-May by the time they make a decision.

Between all the fucking idiots who are already decided to not get vaccinated - nor practice proper social distancing, along with having to beg these knuckle draggers to wear a fucking mask - and everyone else who are reasonably losing their minds and feeling Spring in the air, I just unfortunately don't think we're gonna get there. I hope I am wrong.
    NJ reported that as of today, 20% of adults have been vaccinated.  I guess we’ll see where the numbers go from here. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

Governor announced today that the goal is 70% of adults vaccinated by Memorial Day weekend. 

edited March 2021
    Seems like good news and a step in the right direction:
    Post edited by on2legs on

on2legs said:
    I don't know about that re: this event - this guy specifies social distancing and limited capacity. I don't see how either can be achieved for a music festival on the beach.
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    on2legs said:
    I don't know about that re: this event - this guy specifies social distancing and limited capacity. I don't see how either can be achieved for a music festival on the beach.
    It’s a walk before you run sort of thing.  

on2legs said:
    Yes... that’s why I said “a step in the right direction”.  😬

• Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 489
    edited March 2021
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    The Fallon concert is part of a series the Count Basie Theater is doing on the Shore in Eatontown. It runs through August 26th and all the concerts are under the same strict protocols. The final show on the 26th is a Band tribute act. So while it is absolutely a step in the right direction, the fact that it is still going to be under strict protocols in late August for a tribute act, unfortunately actually points to that there is almost no chance 30,000 people will be on the beach in Asbury Park for a festival two weeks later. 

• RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    Hi Luckytwn, you may be right, but please limit your negativity to the Ohana thread! 

Yes, as I'd like to point out for myself - not trying to be negative about all this! Honestly I want to know if I should be reaching out to the owner of the AirBnB I reserved to see what - if any - cancellations can be made. It would make it easier to do if these people would make a decision. 

And this does make it sound like in an indirect way that things are going to play out as I think - I just think it would be fair to let people know before actual summer begins.
    edited March 2021
    Hi Luckytwn, you may be right, but please limit your negativity to the Ohana thread! 
    No negativity, I just prefer to live in reality and not look for clues where none exist. 
    Post edited by Luckytwn1 on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Easier to ramp up shows for ticket sales than to dial them back. No one knows what this summer or fall will allow yet. Safe bets are obvious of course of what will happen but nothing is set in stone yet. 
    PJNB said:
    Easier to ramp up shows for ticket sales than to dial them back. No one knows what this summer or fall will allow yet. Safe bets are obvious of course of what will happen but nothing is set in stone yet. 
    Well, that’s true in a sense that it is easier than dialing them back. Because dialing them back is basically impossible. Of course, that’s why any show sold at full capacity prior to the pandemic is so unlikely to occur this year. 

And we do know what the summer will allow. As we are seeing today, venues are planning socially distanced events with protocols for the summer. That’s because concerts need planning and the conditions now in April dictate what is possible coming up. 
    edited March 2021
    Luckytwn1 said:
    PJNB said:
    Well, that’s true in a sense that it is easier than dialing them back. Because dialing them back is basically impossible. Of course, that’s why any show sold at full capacity prior to the pandemic is so unlikely to occur this year. 

And we do know what the summer will allow. As we are seeing today, venues are planning socially distanced events with protocols for the summer. That’s because concerts need planning and the conditions now in April dictate what is possible coming up. 

i think you are right that is what will happen this summer for shows if we are lucky but I also see a small chance where seats are added to these shows if restrictions become lighter than what was expected. I hope they can add the seats. 

And of course there is a scenario that these shows can not happen at all even with the modifications. I would like to think that is not an option though! 
    Post edited by PJNB on
    edited March 2021
    April 6th anyone that is 16 or older can get a vaccine in NY. There is no reason by fall that these shows can not happen imo if the vaccines do what they are supposed to do and enough people get them. 
    PJNB said:
    April 6th anyone that is 16 or older can get a vaccine in NY. There is no reason by fall that these shows can not happen imo if the vaccines do what they are supposed to do and enough people get them. 
    Maybe. Promising news today out of NY. Thing is they still need to see the numbers, and with all the logistics - again - I don't think they can go beyond like mid-May to make a definitive decision. 

Other part of this is assuming that everyone is coming from NY & NJ. Every state is different and your residence isn't a requirement to attend.

Very good news today though.
    edited March 2021
    Luckytwn1 said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    The Fallon concert is part of a series the Count Basie Theater is doing on the Shore in Eatontown. It runs through August 26th and all the concerts are under the same strict protocols. The final show on the 26th is a Band tribute act. So while it is absolutely a step in the right direction, the fact that it is still going to be under strict protocols in late August for a tribute act, unfortunately actually points to that there is almost no chance 30,000 people will be on the beach in Asbury Park for a festival two weeks later. 

I know what the “Fallon concert” is... I posted it. Lol.  So what did I say that was untrue?  I said it was a step in the right direction.   
    Post edited by on2legs on

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    :popcorn_guy:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    As per NJ Gov. Phil Murphy:
    effective Friday, April 2nd:
    Lowering threshold for venues to be considered a “large venue” from 5,000 to 2,500
    Capacity for indoor seating at large venues increases to 20%
    Capacity for outdoor seating at large venues increases to 30%
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Lowering threshold for venues to be considered a “large venue” from 5,000 to 2,500
    Love to see it. Hope it can be sustainable and not too early! 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Love to see it. Hope it can be sustainable and not too early! 
    I just bought Rangers/Devils tickets yesterday, I am pumped!  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • blaineblaine Posts: 3
    edited March 2021
    As of now there's five large scale festivals scheduled to take place in September across the US, not including Sea.Hear.Now. One would assume the music industry is preparing for full scale festivals this fall, considering all the recent announcements. GovBall, FireFly, Pilgrimage, Lost Lands, Del Fest amongst those and rumors of Bonnaroo as well happening.
    Post edited by blaine on
    I just spent the weekend with thousands of people at a soccer tournament for one of my daughters in Berkeley Twp.   It was nice to do something quasi normal again.