The Food Thread

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited February 2021
    Huevos gringo!

Better than it looks. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Looks great!

Gambs....yes on board head natural casings.  Some of my favorites.

For the cauliflower....
    Cup of flour, shitload of spices, half cup water, half cup milk.mix up....not too thick, not too thin.

Break down the cauliflower....put in the batter and shake out.

Cook at 450 on parchment paper - ten minutes then flip for another ten.

Make your sauce (I used a tablespoon of butter and a cup of hot sauces....mixed in some hot stuff with a Texas Champagne hot sauce)

When the cauliflower is nicely browned, take out, toss in sauce, put back in for 10-15 minutes.

Eat.

Easy as can be.  You decide on the spices how hot you want to go.

Here is something I learned yesterday....do not eat a whole head of cauliflower by yourself.  I had half for lunch and the other half for dinner.  Was fucking delicious.
    Had some pretty horrid bloating, gas, and then shit.  :lol:. Heat was no issue it was the damn cauliflower.
    Live and learn!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Looks great!

For the cauliflower....
    Cup of flour, shitload of spices, half cup water, half cup milk.mix up....not too thick, not too thin.

Make your sauce (I used a tablespoon of butter and a cup of hot sauces....mixed in some hot stuff with a Texas Champagne hot sauce)

When the cauliflower is nicely browned, take out, toss in sauce, put back in for 10-15 minutes.

Eat.

Here is something I learned yesterday....do not eat a whole head of cauliflower by yourself.  I had half for lunch and the other half for dinner.  Was fucking delicious.
    Had some pretty horrid bloating, gas, and then shit.  :lol:. Heat was no issue it was the damn cauliflower.
    Live and learn!
    Hahahah yes, cruciferous veggies can come back to haunt you if you overdo it!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    Looks great!

For the cauliflower....

Eat.

Live and learn!
    We had cauliflower “steaks” with chimichurri sauce for supper last night. They were pretty banging. 

I just let ’em rip, F Me. No need for modesty when we’re stuck at home. Gas X also works wonders if you’re a bloater. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited February 2021
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    Looks great!

For the cauliflower....

Eat.

Live and learn!
    We had cauliflower “steaks” with chimichurri sauce for supper last night. They were pretty banging. 

I just let ’em rip, F Me. No need for modesty when we’re stuck at home. Gas X also works wonders if you’re a bloater. 
    No worries on the modesty....more like with as much gas and other feelings as were present I was concerned there might be A Sharting.  :lol:

All good this morning - I could eat that every day, would just not eat quite as much.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    Looks great!

For the cauliflower....

Eat.

Live and learn!

No worries on the modesty....more like with as much gas and other feelings as were present I was concerned there might be A Sharting.  :lol:

All good this morning - I could eat that every day, would just not eat quite as much.
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/4927790/#Comment_4927790
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Salmon in butter sauce w/capers will have it with caprese salad white wine recommended..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Baked wings

• lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,928
    Some good looking eats today everyone. 
    Didn't stop for a picture, but I did sous vide steaks for the first time tonight.
    Damn, just perfect!  Flat Irons to 138...yum.
    I think I would take out of the bath at 100 and then sear.  :). Have eaten them from there and they were very good but I don't have one.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Sous vide!! Let’s go!! Doesn’t get better does it?
    Grilled lamb chops, asparagus and some mash potatoes. Good meal before the Bruins game.
    Could eat rare lamb pretty much every day and be happy.
    Could eat rare lamb pretty much every day and be happy.
    I'm right there with you man. These came out closer to medium rare, but still very good.
    I think I would take out of the bath at 100 and then sear.  :). Have eaten them from there and they were very good but I don't have one.
    Eh, rarer isn't always better.  That's not even cooked, just warmed to slightly less than body temperature.  I don't have a problem with it from an "ew, that's gross" perspective, but you aren't getting all the flavor you can from it at that temperature.  For the leanest cuts maybe, but in a nice marbled steak you probably still have fat that isn't rendered and that's going to leave an unpleasant waxy sensation on the tongue that I'm not into.  Personally, I like medium because it's a nice balance between flavor, juice, and texture.  I like a bit of chew, neither I nor my wife really like a butter-soft bite, it has to give some resistance.  I even enjoy the dry, fibrous texture of well done beef in its own way.  There's something I enjoy about the chewing.  
    It's really tough when it comes to to tuna and salmon, I enjoy equally the soft and rich flavor of rare and the dry, flaky, and differently rich flavor of well.  A nice 2-3 inch thick cut is ideal when you can have it well on the outside all the way to rare in the middle.  

I will go to 128 next time because the sear took it a little higher than I thought it would.
    edited February 2021
    I regularly forgo "better" cuts of beef so that I can enjoy more as a rare cook.....it is a matter of taste, but a nicely crusted and pretty much raw filet is tops, to me.  
    Can certainly enjoy a medium rare but north of medium is a steak I would pass on.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    I regularly forgo "better" cuts of beef so that I can enjoy more as a rare cook.....it is a matter of taste, but a nicely crusted and pretty much raw filet is tops, to me.  
    Can certainly enjoy a medium rare but north of medium is a steak I would pass on.
    Makes sense! I wouldn't do a steak north of medium, but I enjoy beef in my asian and mexican done well.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Wife wanted to get Lobster & king crab legs for tonight’s dinner .
    lobster = $18 per lb
    King crab legs = $ 35 per lb 
    not happening lol 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Wife wanted to get Lobster & king crab legs for tonight’s dinner .
    lobster = $18 per lb
    King crab legs = $ 35 per lb 
    not happening lol 

I know you can make some killer sauce or something to go with it....this is what ya do to get Broiled Skrimps that taste like Lobster Tails:

Get a two pound bag of frozen, raw, skrimps. 
    Good sized ones -- I like a 16/20 for this use.
    Go white or if you can -- even better - pink, skrimp.
    Buy frozen -- unless you see it alive, it has already been frozen - fuck paying more for the bullshit thawed shrimp in the cases at places.
    For this I go with peeled/tail on.

Thaw the bag.
    As you prepare to deal with them, dry them and get as much water out as you can.
    Butterfly -- slide the tail shells off, and butterfly & de-vein at them.  (Don't ever believe that the ones that are sold as 'de-veined' are properly de-veined.  The shit trail is still in -- you will see.)

Once dried, shelled, and de-veined/butterflied, lay out on a sheet pan.  If you have a large sheet pan you want as large a one as you can.
    wire racks for the pan make it easier but you don't need to have.
    Lay them out - unless you have a jumbo sheet pan you will need to work in 2 shifts.  (I ordered new pans specifically for this use, since 2 pounds were not fitting on one.)

Season, liberally.  I like to do it in quadrants and make some just salt, some hot, make them a few different ways.

Put the broiler on (500/high) and put your top oven rack the 2nd spot from the broiler.  If your broiler is not adjustable you may need to put on Low.

Broil that shit. 
    Don't burn, watch them. 
    Don't overcook -- when they go opaque, take one out and bite it.
    No need to flip -- being butterflied they will cook through from top and it should stop you from over-cooking.

This has a surreal lobster taste -- really as close to lobster tail as you can get without paying for them.

These are the damn bomb.  I take the lazy way and usually steam my skrimps, shells on.  Those are great, and SO easy, but these are better.  Specifically if someone has been jonesing for some lobster.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694

Just made an easy pork fajita. It came out pretty good. 

Looks good!
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    What's a 'skrimp'? I used to sell fish a while ago and never heard of that. Sounds great.
    Loujoe said:
    What's a 'skrimp'? I used to sell fish a while ago and never heard of that. Sounds great.
    Hahaha.  That is what my buddies from New Orleans call shrimp.  I adopted it.
    Ahhh. I thought it was some new thing I'm missing!
    I like your broiling technique. I usually cast iron pan them. Get it real hot, lite oil, peel/dry them good, season. They are done fast. 

Loujoe said:
    Ahhh. I thought it was some new thing I'm missing!
    I like your broiling technique. I usually cast iron pan them. Get it real hot, lite oil, peel/dry them good, season. They are done fast. 

So many ways to make them!
    Skrimp it is. I'll spread the word.
    Skrimp scampi
    Skrimp gumbo
    Boiled Skrimps
    Broiled Skrimps
    Grilled Skrimps
    Lemon Skrimps
    Coconut Skrimps
    Skrimp soup
    Took a page from Cliffy's book and followed his directions on this one.  
    Really tasty

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    ^Looks great

Tuna Wrap Melt!

chinese-happy.jpg