*** DONALD J TRUMP HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN IMPEACHED FOR A SECOND TIME *** (392 days after the first)

Comments

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,450
    OnWis97 said:
    Not convicting him is one thing. But nearly half of the Senate (and 88% of GQP in the Senate) are literally trying to set a precedent that a president can do anything at the end of their presidency with no fear of reprisal. They're willing to risk throwing the entire country away, either for one crazy moron or to keep the support of crazy morons (i.e., "their careers").  None of these 44 is fit to serve.  Because they all put one person (Trump or themselves) ahead of the good of the country, not just now but forever.
    Politically, it just makes no sense for them to continue to tie themselves to a guy who lost them the house, senate, and presidency in one single term. 
    I think fear of the Trump mob is keeping a lot of them from voting for conviction. Those people are unhinged and anyone who steps out against Trump puts himself in the crosshairs of some pretty out of whack folks. Most might send a Tweet or maybe call the congressperson's office, but there are some that could show up at their house and directly threaten and harass them and their families. Combine that with their biggest fear, not being reelected, and you have what happed in the Senate vote. I think the Senate, since they have to appeal to the entire State, makes them more pragmatic. The House is full of a bunch of lunatics who only have to appeal to a small group of people to be elected, so they can be more reactionary. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    tbergs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Not convicting him is one thing. But nearly half of the Senate (and 88% of GQP in the Senate) are literally trying to set a precedent that a president can do anything at the end of their presidency with no fear of reprisal. They're willing to risk throwing the entire country away, either for one crazy moron or to keep the support of crazy morons (i.e., "their careers").  None of these 44 is fit to serve.  Because they all put one person (Trump or themselves) ahead of the good of the country, not just now but forever.
    What I gathered from the Trump attorneys yesterday was that Trump is now a private citizen so if a crime was committed he should be charged with a crime like a regular citizen would be. I don't disagree with that and wish that DC would grow a pair and charge him as well. The argument he brought forth focused on the grammar used in the article and mentioned that placement of the comma is what makes it unconstitutional for them to try Trump after he left office. Looks like they poached this defense from Dershowitz:

To bolster his argument, Dershowitz points to the language of Article I Section 3, which reads:

“Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.”

Dershowitz specifically highlights that the clause mandates senatorial judgment on removal and disqualification—not or disqualification. Thus, since a former office holder cannot be removed, that person also cannot be disqualified from office.=, the argument goes.

One example offered by Dershowitz is the non-impeachment of an obviously guilty Richard Nixon in the wake of the Watergate scandal.

“Beyond the constitution, there are strong policy and historical reasons an incoming administration shouldn’t seek recriminations against its predecessor. In some countries defeated former presidents and prime ministers are routinely prosecuted,” he wrote. “For the victorious Democrats to seek revenge against Donald Trump would set a terrible precedent, distract from President Biden’s agenda, and make it hard to heal the country. Better to move on.”

Nixon, of course, resigned and was pardoned by Gerald Ford.

Dershowitz’s constitutional argument is supported by Tulane Law School lecturer and impeachment expert Ross Garber. Garber similarly asserts that the Senate only retains jurisdiction to try a sitting president, but said the case of a different Nixon might make the argument difficult for Trump.

https://lawandcrime.com/impeachment/alan-dershowitz-says-senate-lacks-jurisdiction-to-hold-trumps-impeachment-trial/
    It's a legal loophole, but I think in a court of law this is one of those toss ups based on which judge hears the case. Interpretation of the written law often creates dilemmas. Republicans saw an easy out and went with it. This is how scuzzy people get off all the time. Compare this with the vague ass drug laws in this country which allow the imprisonment of millions every year and it's easy to see the failings of our justice system.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    OnWis97 said:
    Politically, it just makes no sense for them to continue to tie themselves to a guy who lost them the house, senate, and presidency in one single term. 
    I think fear of the Trump mob is keeping a lot of them from voting for conviction. Those people are unhinged and anyone who steps out against Trump puts himself in the crosshairs of some pretty out of whack folks. Most might send a Tweet or maybe call the congressperson's office, but there are some that could show up at their house and directly threaten and harass them and their families. Combine that with their biggest fear, not being reelected, and you have what happed in the Senate vote. I think the Senate, since they have to appeal to the entire State, makes them more pragmatic. The House is full of a bunch of lunatics who only have to appeal to a small group of people to be elected, so they can be more reactionary. 
    Good assessment. My response is to grow a set of balls and display a sense of courage. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    It does if they can come roaring back in 2024 and start the 1000 year facist reich
    Ha...well logic dictates moving in a different direction coming off all those losses. 
    At this point I really see them trying anything to keep their foot in the door and take over, would not be surprised to see some of the nuttier congresspersons on the R side go postal in the chambers.  I don’t see a real path forward that includes republicans having any power without cheating or taking it by force.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    guess I'll put this here..

Opinion: Trump lawyer David Schoen’s crazy theory on ‘Hannity’ unmasks the GOP’s ugly core

How the Capitol attack unfolded, from inside Trump's rally to the riot | Opinion
    Early on Jan. 6, The Post's Kate Woodsome saw signs of the violence to come hours before thousands of Trump loyalists besieged the Capitol. (Joy Yi, Kate Woodsome/The Washington Post)
    Image without a caption
    Opinion by
    Columnist
    Feb. 10, 2021 at 10:28 a.m. EST

It’s instructive to venture into the confines of Sean Hannity’s universe, because it often showcases the propaganda being injected into the GOP base’s veins in its most venomous form. In this regard, Monday night’s appearance by David Schoen, Donald Trump’s impeachment lawyer, did not disappoint.

Schoen floated a strange theory in defense of the former president. It’s worth unpacking, because it points in a direction that further incriminates Trump. It also underscores what is becoming of the GOP as it prepares to wholly exonerate Trump for attempting to incite the violent overthrow of U.S. democracy.

Schoen appeared to suggest law enforcement might refrain from further investigations into the rioters who stormed the Capitol, because they are showing that the assault was preplanned, supposedly exonerating Trump.

“Right now, you really are finding out about the preplanning,” Schoen told Hannity. “And I’m afraid they’re going to back off that investigation, because maybe — you know — so many people want to tie it to Donald Trump.”

Schoen added that in Monday’s Senate trial presentation, the House impeachment managers showed “nothing” that “ties” the assault to Trump.

Impeachment managers display first video evidence at Trump trial
    House impeachment managers played a video sequence of events at the beginning of the impeachment trial of former president Donald Trump on Feb. 9. (The Washington Post)

The “they” who might “back off” appears to be a reference to law enforcement. If so, the idea that they might stop investigating rioters to avoid exonerating Trump is rank crackpottery.

But more important, whoever the “they” is here, the theory underlying this story is completely divorced from reality — in a way that actually further incriminates Trump.

Trump’s legal team wants to argue that because investigators are discovering that some rioters preplanned the attack, it proves Trump couldn’t possibly have incited them during his Jan. 6 harangue.

The truth is the opposite: The investigators are turning up evidence that is increasingly damning to Trump, not the other way around.

What the investigations are telling us

We are learning from the investigations that rioters who preplanned their attacks did so because they fully understood that Trump had directed them to do so.

In a deep dive into what the investigations are revealing, Post reporters recently found ample evidence of this. Their stark conclusion:

Court documents show that more than two dozen people charged in the attack specifically cited Trump and his calls to gather that day in describing on social media or in conversations with others why they decided to take action by coming to Washington.

More than two dozen cited Trump. One woman who recruited for the assault said days before: “Trump wants all able bodied patriots to come.” A QAnon-supporting man wrote in advance that if Trump called for attacking the Capitol, he’d do it: He was following Trump’s marching orders.

Even the attackers’ own lawyers say Trump inspired them. As one attorney put it to The Post: “What these people heard, including my client, was an invitation, a call to arms by the president.”

One might push back by arguing that they were wrong to believe Trump indicated any of this. But that, too, is blown apart by the public record.

Indeed, the House impeachment managers’ report documents numerous examples of Trump explicitly telling his supporters well in advance to prepare to descend on the Capitol, while directly tying this to the big lie that the election had been stolen and that they were the victims of that crime. And an extensive new timeline from Just Security shows many leading pro-Trump voices amplifying the call, also well in advance.

It’s important to emphasize this: In communicating to his supporters for months that the election had been stolen from them, Trump told them in every which way that they were the victims of a tyrannical injustice that could be rectified only by overturning the official election results.

In short, he falsely told them that their own freedom was on the line, and told them to take action in response. They believed him. Trump’s words on the day itself also unequivocally show him inciting the attack, but the lead-up to that day is every bit as incriminating.

GOP’s alternate reality version of the insurrection

It’s deeply perverse that despite all this evidence, virtually all GOP senators will acquit Trump. As Sarah Longwell points out, the rioters are being prosecuted for the attacks, but the GOP elites who inspired their crimes — Trump and the GOP senators who themselves propped up the stolen-election lie — will face zero accountability.

I’d like to take this idea further. In claiming that ongoing investigations into the attack are only exonerating Trump — that the actual evidence being unearthed simply doesn’t exist at all — Trump’s lawyer is hinting at where the GOP will end up on all this.

Though there are exceptions, many in the party are gravitating toward an absolute refusal to acknowledge the slightest wrongdoing by Trump — a comprehensive refusal to acknowledge the barest existence of any of the extensive factual record demonstrating unambiguously that Trump did incite an effort to overturn our democracy, including with intimidation and violence.

You can see this erasure everywhere. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) is now claiming that all this evidence is “full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.” Trump’s constitutional crime simply never happened.

Meanwhile, the Wyoming GOP’s censure of Rep. Liz Cheney for voting to impeach falsely claims antifa instigated the riot and treats the belief of GOP voters in Trump’s absolute innocence as guiding truth. Sen. Josh Hawley (R-Mo.), who led Trump’s effort to overturn the election in Congress, continues to do the same.

If large swaths of the GOP are going to comprehensively exonerate Trump and their party of any responsibility for the worst assault on our democracy in modern times, it doesn’t bode particularly well for its future.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    static111 said:
    static111 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    It does if they can come roaring back in 2024 and start the 1000 year facist reich
    Ha...well logic dictates moving in a different direction coming off all those losses. 
    At this point I really see them trying anything to keep their foot in the door and take over, would not be surprised to see some of the nuttier congresspersons on the R side go postal in the chambers.  I don’t see a real path forward that includes republicans having any power without cheating or taking it by force.
    Yeah just gonna divide them further and weaken the party moving forward though. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    edited February 2021
    It is being reported that Senator Romney had no idea how close he came and he's looking for Officer Goodman to thank him.

Post edited by Kat on
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Eugene Goodman was everywhere that day. He led those morons upstairs and away from the reps and sens...then he appears out of nowhere to save Mitt from (well, death, most likely).

He's the January 6 MVP.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    Eugene Goodman was everywhere that day. He led those morons upstairs and away from the reps and sens...then he appears out of nowhere to save Mitt from (well, death, most likely).

He's the January 6 MVP.
    Didn't he save Mitt before he lead them upstairs?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    OnWis97 said:

He's the January 6 MVP.

I don't actually know...I guess I played them out in the order that I heard about them, LOL.  Either way, he should be awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom (That's what I'd be saying if Trump hadn't diminished the whole thing by handing it out to his sycophants).
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:

He's the January 6 MVP.

I don't actually know...I guess I played them out in the order that I heard about them, LOL.  Either way, he should be awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom (That's what I'd be saying if Trump hadn't diminished the whole thing by handing it out to his sycophants).
    Oh man. He would be the absolute perfect person to receive the first one Biden hands out. Draw a contrast real quick and (hopefully) re establish that highest of standards.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited February 2021
    OnWis97 said:
    OnWis97 said:

He's the January 6 MVP.

Oh man. He would be the absolute perfect person to receive the first one Biden hands out. Draw a contrast real quick and (hopefully) re establish that highest of standards.
    he has already received the congressional medal hasnt he?

edit, congressional gold medal awarded....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I tuned into the impeachment today and mostly my take away was why, other than that the assailants were white, did no officers fire to protect themselves.  All the times LE have been trigger happy in times of fear, and when the capitol was under siege by organized lunatics that were there to cause violence, no one was fearing for their lives? 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    static111 said:
    I tuned into the impeachment today and mostly my take away was why, other than that the assailants were white, did no officers fire to protect themselves.  All the times LE have been trigger happy in times of fear, and when the capitol was under siege by organized lunatics that were there to cause violence, no one was fearing for their lives? 
    I don’t think any police officer would’ve wanted to fire the first shot that day, and were probably advised under no circumstances.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:
    static111 said:
    I don’t think any police officer would’ve wanted to fire the first shot that day, and were probably advised under no circumstances.

what, 15 round mag? gets a few off then overwhelmed and gets it taken?

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    man i came here expecting this thread to be lit the last 2 days. i guess it is not worth talking about after the managers have presented such a solid case that it cannot be defended or disputed.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • man i came here expecting this thread to be lit the last 2 days. i guess it is not worth talking about after the managers have presented such a solid case that it cannot be defended or disputed.
    The conclusion is forgone. And that’s depressing. POOTWH successfully turned the US into a banana republic.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    the funniest thing is all of those rioters that are facing criminal charges are going to go to jail and the person most responsible for bringing them to DC is going to walk away without any issues.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    OnWis97 said:

He's the January 6 MVP.
    He definitely told Mitt to go the other direction.  Hard to say what would have happened but tRumpsters probably aren't happy with Mitt even though the fucking idiots likely voted for him eight years ago.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    the funniest thing is all of those rioters that are facing criminal charges are going to go to jail and the person most responsible for bringing them to DC is going to walk away without any issues.
    Well, I'd say even if he is not convicted, this will have long lasting damage on him. Unlike the last impeachment, this one is really easy for regular people who do not follow things on a regular basis to understand. The pictures and the videos are heart wrenching and riveting. I'm sure there will be January 6th remembrances moving forward. Get used to seeing those images, along with Trump's words, and images of Marge Green, Hawley, Cruz etc  every election cycle for the foreseeable future. This is the republican party. We can not let the American people forget it.

I'm just hoping we'll at least get 4-8 republicans to vote to convict at this point.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    does susan collins think trump learned his lesson this time? LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I hear she is concerned.

I'd be shocked if she doesn't vote to convict. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I hear she is concerned.

I'd be shocked if she doesn't vote to convict. 
    She's one of the gang of 6 so far who are breaking rank. I don't see how any who found the impeachment to be constitutional wouldn't convict. The evidence is overwhelming.
    It's a hopeless situation...

7:43 p.m.
    Link copied

Trump’s Senate allies Graham, Lee and Cruz huddle with defense team

By Colby Itkowitz

After the Senate trial adjourned Thursday, three of Donald Trump’s chamber allies, Sens. Lindsey O. Graham, Mike Lee and Ted Cruz, were seen entering a room to meet with the former president’s attorneys.

After their meeting, Trump attorney David Schoen told reporters the senators were just “talking about procedure,” called them “friendly guys” and said they did not tip him off to questions they would be asking.

They discussed “just how this format goes, you know, the question-and-answer period, all that,” Schoen said. “And then just talking about where they’re from and all that, but it’s just very nice. I said to them it was a great honor to have the opportunity to talk to them.”

During the impeachment trial, the senators are supposed to be impartial jurors, listening to the evidence from both sides before voting on whether to convict.

But most senators, including Graham (R-S.C.), Lee (R-Utah) and Cruz (R-Tex.), have predetermined Trump’s innocence, as many Democrats have already decided he is guilty.

Then-Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) set a precedent during the first Trump impeachment of conferring with the defense.

“Exactly how we go forward, I’m going to coordinate with the president’s lawyers,” McConnell said then in 2019. “The case is so darn weak coming over from the House. We all know how it’s going to end. There is no chance the president is going to be removed from office. My hope is that there won’t be a Republican who votes for either of these articles of impeachment.”

Democrats assailed McConnell for violating his would-be oath to do “impartial justice” as a juror in the trial.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I hate to say it but most of these dipshit Republican senators who are sitting through the impeachment trial picking their nose, doodling, and day dreaming about who-knows-what (or even wants to know) have already made up their minds, and all the evidence and video from 1/6 and impassioned speeches in the world are not going to change their already made up minds about not wanting to vote their conscience but, rather, their current status.  I wish I were wrong, but I'll be very surprised if Chump is convicted. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• POOTWH was offered the opportunity to appear in the senate chamber and answer questions posed and it refused. Pick a quote from below and defend it. I dare you.

There was no collusion.”
    “I have nothing to hide.”
    “I don’t know any Russians.”
    “I’ll sit down and talk with anyone.”
    “We do everything by the book.”
    “Only the guilty plea the fifth.”
    “Very legal, very cool.”
    “Fully exonerated.”
    “Essentially no obstruction.”
    “Very friendly and totally appropriate.”
    “No quid pro quo.”
    “Imminent threat.”
    “I thought he was Israeli.”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    brianlux said:
    I hate to say it but most of these dipshit Republican senators who are sitting through the impeachment trial picking their nose, doodling, and day dreaming about who-knows-what (or even wants to know) have already made up their minds, and all the evidence and video from 1/6 and impassioned speeches in the world are not going to change their already made up minds about not wanting to vote their conscience but, rather, their current status.  I wish I were wrong, but I'll be very surprised if Chump is convicted. 
    All 100 have made up their minds.  I would guess all 50 Dems will vote to convict.  The GOP vote is far more interesting. Obviously, there aren’t 17 votes there. I’d guess about five.  But I do love how badly so many of these careerists wish they didn’t have to vote.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mickeyrat said:

7:43 p.m.
    Link copied

Trump’s Senate allies Graham, Lee and Cruz huddle with defense team

By Colby Itkowitz

After the Senate trial adjourned Thursday, three of Donald Trump’s chamber allies, Sens. Lindsey O. Graham, Mike Lee and Ted Cruz, were seen entering a room to meet with the former president’s attorneys.

After their meeting, Trump attorney David Schoen told reporters the senators were just “talking about procedure,” called them “friendly guys” and said they did not tip him off to questions they would be asking.

They discussed “just how this format goes, you know, the question-and-answer period, all that,” Schoen said. “And then just talking about where they’re from and all that, but it’s just very nice. I said to them it was a great honor to have the opportunity to talk to them.”

During the impeachment trial, the senators are supposed to be impartial jurors, listening to the evidence from both sides before voting on whether to convict.

But most senators, including Graham (R-S.C.), Lee (R-Utah) and Cruz (R-Tex.), have predetermined Trump’s innocence, as many Democrats have already decided he is guilty.

Then-Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) set a precedent during the first Trump impeachment of conferring with the defense.

“Exactly how we go forward, I’m going to coordinate with the president’s lawyers,” McConnell said then in 2019. “The case is so darn weak coming over from the House. We all know how it’s going to end. There is no chance the president is going to be removed from office. My hope is that there won’t be a Republican who votes for either of these articles of impeachment.”

Democrats assailed McConnell for violating his would-be oath to do “impartial justice” as a juror in the trial.

this is just such a sham. imagine if we found out that juror #7, 11, and 5 were secretly having dinner with the accused and his lawyers during a murder trial. I know a senate trial isn't the same as a legal trial, and doesn't have the same requirements, but come on....this is ridiculous. 

did democrats on the senate convene with clinton and his lawyers during his impeachment?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD