*** DONALD J TRUMP HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN IMPEACHED FOR A SECOND TIME *** (392 days after the first)

1141516171820»

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,168
    I can only wonder what the republicans would have done if Pentz, Pelosi or AOC had been killed. Sadly I’m not sure even then those gutless heartless bastard would have done anything differently
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,432
    Not surprised by the result. I never thought enough of the GOP Senators would have the courage to do the right thing. Even if they don't agree with Trump, they are too afraid of not being re-elected to rock the boat. Pathetic.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    I agree with Cassidy in that more people will come to his side (the correct side) in this as more evidence comes to light. Good to see a strong majority already are on the right side of history.
    We need a 9/11 commission. And then the democrats need to make sure nobody ever forgets who voted to acquit. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/impeachment-trial-solidified-views-trump-conviction-poll/story?id=75892916
    -

Impeachment trial solidified views on Trump conviction: POLL

Over half of Americans (58%) say that Trump should have been convicted.

February 15, 2021, 6:00 AM
    • 7 min read
    PHOTO President Donald Trump speaks during a rally to contest the certification of the 2020 US presidential election results by the US Congress in Washington Jan 6 2021
    Image IconJim Bourg/Reuters, FILE
    President Donald Trump speaks during a rally to contest the certification of the 2020 U.S. preside...

Driven by sharp divisions that reflect the persistent partisan fissures within the country, the second impeachment trial of former President Donald Trump solidified public support for convicting him of inciting insurrection, a new ABC News/Ipsos poll finds.

Over half of Americans (58%) say that Trump should have been convicted, which tracks with the 56% who said the same last week before the 57-43 Senate vote to acquit left Trump free to possibly run for office again. Last year, after Trump was acquitted in his first Senate impeachment trial, Americans were evenly split on the outcome, with 49% approving of the Senate's judgment and 47% disapproving, according to a Monmouth University poll.

Recent Stories from ABC News

The Senate fell 10 votes short of reaching the two-thirds majority needed to convict, when all but seven Republicans found Trump not guilty — an outcome that still marked the most bipartisan verdict ever in a presidential impeachment trial.

The seven Republicans, who make up 14% of the GOP conference in the Senate, mirrors the 14% of Republicans nationwide who believe Trump should have been convicted and barred from holding future office in the poll, which was conducted by Ipsos in partnership with ABC News using Ipsos' KnowledgePanel.

PHOTO The final vote total of 57-43 to acquit former President Donald Trump of the impeachment charge is shown on Senate TV at the conclusion of the impeachement trial in the Senate at the US Capitol in Washington DC Feb 13 2021
    Senate TV via APSenate TV via AP
    The final vote total of 57-43, to acquit former President Donald Trump of the impeachment char...

An overwhelming 88% of Democrats and 64% of independents also say the former president should have been convicted after being impeached for his role in the deadly assault on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

The decision by the 43 Republican senators to acquit Trump signals the firm grip he maintains over the party, even after his electoral defeat. But for some of them, the vote was not as much a defense of his behavior, but rather a decision based on a constitutional technicality.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, one of the Republicans who ultimately sided with Trump by arguing that it was unconstitutional to try a former president, excoriated Trump for his "disgraceful dereliction of duty."

"There's no question, none, that President Trump is practically and morally responsible for provoking the events of the day. No question about it," he said from the Senate floor shortly after the final vote. "The people who stormed this building believed they were acting on the wishes and instructions of their president."

Even though far more Republican senators are disturbed by Trump's actions than the final vote tally might show, polling suggests that the Republican base remains solidly behind him.

PHOTO Michael van der Veen an attorney for former President Donald Trump is seen on Capitol Hill after the Senate acquitted Trump in his second impeachment trial at the US Capitol in Washington DC Feb 13 2021
    Greg NashPool via APGreg Nash/Pool via AP
    Michael van der Veen, an attorney for former President Donald Trump, is seen on Capitol Hill aft...

Among Republicans, 86% say Trump should not have been convicted and disqualified from holding future office, an attitude shared by only 11% of Democrats and 35% of independents.

More than eight in 10 Republicans (83%) actually go even further, believing that the trial shouldn't have even happened, viewing the single charge against Trump as not serious enough to warrant impeachment proceedings.

It's an opinion at odds with most of the country: overall, 61% of Americans believe Trump's conduct warranted the historic second impeachment for one president, with that view held by 92% of Democrats and 65% of independents.

More than two decades ago, when former President Clinton faced his own impeachment trial for lying under oath and obstructing justice to cover up an extramarital affair, less than half (43%) of the country viewed the charges against him as serious enough for a trial, while a majority (56%) believed they were not serious enough, according to an ABC News poll conducted right after the trial.

PHOTO House impeachment managers led by Rep Jamie Raskin depart the Senate Chamber at the conclusion of former President Donald Trumps second impeachment trial Feb 13 2021 in Washington DC The Senate voted 57-43 to acquit Trump
    Win McNameeGetty ImagesWin McNamee/Getty Images
    House impeachment managers led by Rep. Jamie Raskin, depart the Senate Chamber at the conc...

As the nation remains deeply polarized, uniting most Americans is the view that the outcome in the Senate was motivated more by party loyalties than the evidence presented at the trial.

More than 3 in 4 Americans (77%) say that most senators voted on the basis of partisan politics. The question also breaks through party lines, with 76% of Democrats, 78% of Republicans, and 79% of independents saying the same.

In the case itself, the evidence brought by the House impeachment managers was seen as "strong" among a clear majority of Americans (56%), compared to 37% who cast it as "weak."

Still, slightly more Americans say that the trial rehashed information already known to the public rather than providing new information, 43% to 38%.

This ABC News/Ipsos poll was conducted by Ipsos Public Affairs‘ KnowledgePanel® February 13-14, 2021, in English and Spanish, among a random national sample of 547 adults. Results have a margin of sampling error of 4.8 points, including the design effect. Partisan divisions are 31-26-36 percent, Democrats-Republicans-independents. See the poll’s topline results and details on the methodology here.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188

Such a convincing argument. You've changed my mind.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,432

Well, when the GOP Senators on the "jury" look like this, what do you expect?

• Well, when the GOP Senators on the "jury" look like this, what do you expect?

Comparing the GOP senators who voted to acquit to blind referees or umpires is way too generous & considerate. 

They are co-conspirators, and voted against their oaths of office. They aren't inept, they're corrupt. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    Conviction was never really on the cards, though. I see the trial's main purpose as to clearly lay out the events for the public, and it achieved that. Current polling shows that a substantial majority of the general population - fully 71% -  now believe Trump to be at least partially responsible for inciting the violence at the Capitol. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554

OK, clever gif.  Now let's hear what your actual thoughts are and why it is you believe what you believe. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,807
    brianlux said:

OK, clever gif.  Now let's hear what your actual thoughts are and why it is you believe what you believe. 

Nobody that posts something like this will ever convince me they have any principles besides "owning the libs."  Congrats on winning that game. I'm sure it felt much the same as the Super Bowl win did to Bucs fans.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    funny how they can consider a one term, twice impeached president a "win". 

"sure, I got fired from my job, got charged and humiliated twice, but hey, since I didn't get convicted, 'in your face'!". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,293
    edited February 2021

"sure, I got fired from my job, got charged and humiliated twice, but hey, since I didn't get convicted, 'in your face'!". 

right, a President who lost the House, then the Senate and the Presidency....

so much winning I cant stand it.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianlux said:

Just a funny cartoon. I can laugh at all sides. R or L. 

Not trying to "own" anybody. Nor do I think I change any minds and do not care too. Just a funny cartoon. Maybe some can laugh. Maybe some are so stuck on the hate train. Amusing assumptions by many and my "principles" from a cartoon. 

Brianlux, you seem like a very nice and thoughtful person. When time, I may put more thought into a response.  And not a gif but a jpeg I think. Would be funny if she actually swung the bat in a gif. Work to crazy busy.  

Just a funny cartoon. Made me laugh a little seeing it. Now back to Dallas Porch while I work. So good!
  • OnWis97 said:
    Nobody that posts something like this will ever convince me they have any principles besides "owning the libs."  Congrats on winning that game. I'm sure it felt much the same as the Super Bowl win did to Bucs fans.
    Funny 

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    brianlux said:

Not trying to "own" anybody. Nor do I think I change any minds and do not care too. Just a funny cartoon. Maybe some can laugh. Maybe some are so stuck on the hate train. Amusing assumptions by many and my "principles" from a cartoon. 

Brianlux, you seem like a very nice and thoughtful person. When time, I may put more thought into a response.  And not a gif but a jpeg I think. Would be funny if she actually swung the bat in a gif. Work to crazy busy.  

Just a funny cartoon. Made me laugh a little seeing it. Now back to Dallas Porch while I work. So good!
    I guess in order to find it funny though, you'd have to agree with the humor to some degree. The "Same Old Bat" to me minimizes the actions of Trump and is ridiculing the process as a political sham. It's not just a joke, but an attempt to downplay the actual facts of this impeachment, whether you agreed with the last one or not. You can't compare the two.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722

Well because of Obama, duh. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    brianlux said:

In other words, he is unable to articulate what he sees in this stupid cartoon. 

For the record, she's 2-0 at impeaching him. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    brianlux said:

Exactly. She did her job, it's the GOP Senate that didn't do theirs.
    dignin said:
    brianlux said:

Seems as if this cartoon is a big ol’swing and miss
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • dignin said:
    brianlux said:

Seems as if this cartoon is a big ol’swing and miss
    Is it possible to miss twice in the same swing? Me thinks it mights be, pitter patter.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    brianlux said:

No hate here, Out, just curious.  It's just that gifs are so often a quick way of expressing one's thoughts and that particular one seems to give a clear message, but they can be variously- or misinterpreted. 

If the reactions here seem a bit presumptuous, I think it's not so much that many here are big fans and defenders of Nancy Pelosi (some definitely are, my feeling are a bit more mixed), as it is that many of us are outraged that even though the majority of Americans believe Trump should have been convicted (and that it is very likely that many of the Republican Senators that voted to acquit actually do also believe he is guilty but won't cop to it), and yet he got off without a conviction.  It's a hot, hot, hot, topic!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

bump
    chinese-happy.jpg