2020 Fall North American rumour thread

Comments

• YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,377
    edited February 2021
    If 10% of Fenway is 3,500, I'd pay $250ish or so a ticket to see Pearl Jam there.  I don't care if the acoustics are sucky.  Sign me up.
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 806
    If 10% of Fenway is 3,500, I'd pay $250ish or so a ticket to see Pearl Jam there.  I don't care if the acoustics are sucky.  Sign me up.
    $250?  That's laughable.  They would have to charge $750-$1000 minimum to make it worth it to the band if the park was only 10% full.
  • brewdog123brewdog123 ATL Posts: 635
    edited February 2021
    why do you want to see them in a baseball stadium venue?

edit:nevermind, i assume open air...
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,618
    edited February 2021

"The truth is, we cannot stay closed until everyone is vaccinated. The economic, psychological, emotional cost would be incredible," the governor of New York says

2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Wednesday, February 10, 2021, 12:00 p.m. ET

In a move that seems to mark a shift toward the return of live music in New York, Governor Andrew Cuomo on Wednesday announced that qualifying arenas and stadiums across the state will be able to start welcoming in-person fans for ticketed events beginning on February 23rd. The decision comes as the state’s late-2020 COVID-19 spike continues to dip and other facets of everyday life begin to return (indoor dining in New York City, for example, will resume this coming weekend).

Qualifying indoor arenas across the state and stadiums with a 100,000-person total capacity will have to abide by a strictly-enforced limited capacity of just 10%, and fans who do choose to attend a sporting or music event must provide a negative PCR COVID-19 test within 72 hours of the event. Mask-wearing, temperature checks, and assigned seating will also be required as part of New York’s latest step in reopening its live events industry.

“The testing to me is key. I can go see the president of the United States, take a test and if I pass the test, walk into the Oval Office,” the New York Governor said with Wednesday’s announcement. “This hits the balance of safe reopening. A PCR test is as safe as you can get.”

For now, the decision appears to mainly apply to athletic events. In New York City, both Madison Square Garden and Barclays Center plan to reopen with extremely limited fan attendance for their respective NBA and NHL teams. Citi Field, which is currently being used as a city-run mass vaccination site, will also aim to prepare the stadium for in-person fans ahead of the MLB‘s opening day in April. For more information on the gradual reopening of stadiums and arenas in New York, head here.

https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/co...tion-tracking/
    This is the first step needed before we can see shows again. Slowly going back to normal and proving it can be done safely along with more and more vaccinations being given out. The endgame is full concerts with no restrictions. Hopefully these steps work as planned and we have no major hiccups on the road to seeing Pearl Jam again. 
  • When will we see masks not being required? I am assuming some official governance stating they do not need to be enforced will be needed or else people and business will require them forever. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    This also fresh off the press
    Fully vaccinated individuals can skip Covid quarantines, per CDC

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/02/10/health/covid-vaccinated-quarantine-cdc-guidance/index.html
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    And just this hour:
    “The country may be able to inoculate most Americans by the middle or end of summer”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/02/11/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/%3foutputType=amp
  • My prediction:

Summer 2021 is off. It would absolutely be nice if it was announced ASAP and I think the band realizes that.

Let's say country XYZ has an excellent vaccination rate. The promoter and band both have to realize that they'll get people from country AAA with an awful vaccine rate.

One of the reasons sports can happen is because most of those fans are from the immediate area. When they get there, there's restrictions on tailgating, lining up for concession, entering the stands, how many people can be seated where, masks absolutely being required, how many toilet stalls can be used, exiting the stands, etc.

At a Pearl Jam show, there's merch lines, gatherings before the show, there's too many people gathered in too few seats, there's drunk yaks spreading germs, joints being passed, etc.

Take any show and there's probably people there from 6-7 different countries and 2-3 different continents.

I saw a post the other day about some sort of hangout being postponed until the fall. This doesn't look good. There's also no rumors of anything...not even a "maybe, possibly, ask me in two months" type of thing.

It just seems a little too risky, especially with smaller summer festivals of the local flavor in doubt. A half-marathon near me in April just got canceled, as did two festivals featuring local flavor. My city's big marathon in October should have started registration on Feb 1, but they're keeping registration closed for now...and it gets people from all over the world and acts as a qualifier for Boston.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • When will we see masks not being required? I am assuming some official governance stating they do not need to be enforced will be needed or else people and business will require them forever. 

I'd be shocked if they're optional in June/July. In many Asian countries, they'll wear masks any time someone feels a bit under the weather, pandemic or not. Honestly, I think that's a great idea.

Employers also now know that people can work from home. It's a bit disturbing (and gross) that people are forced to go in to work because the amount of sick time is so limited. You go in with a cold, touch every thing in sight, share papers, copiers, etc.

Working from home without being questioned why... hopefully that's the new thing. Of course there'll be days when employees have to go in and I can definitely see that happening in the summer, but from (say), November through April? Hopefully employers get more lenient.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    The masks will be the last thing to go, now that part could be a couple of years from now.  

If we can get venues to 100% capacity with a mask mandate, that is a huge W that we should all take and run with. 
  • The masks will be the last thing to go, now that part could be a couple of years from now.  

If we can get venues to 100% capacity with a mask mandate, that is a huge W that we should all take and run with. 
    Yeah it’s just like a clothing mandate.  No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Couldn't imagine a PJ show wearing a mask to be honest.  I'll wait.
    bbiggs said:

I'll add to my comment.  If the litmus test for shows to resume (and normalcy in daily life) is having the vaccine available to any and all that want it, then why mandate masks?  If someone chooses to not get vaccinated, that is on them.  Let the rest of the population live a normal life and not have to wear a mask because some CHOSE not to get vaccinated.
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

I'll add to my comment.  If the litmus test for shows to resume (and normalcy in daily life) is having the vaccine available to any and all that want it, then why mandate masks?  If someone chooses to not get vaccinated, that is on them.  Let the rest of the population live a normal life and not have to wear a mask because some CHOSE not to get vaccinated.
    I think the difference is that masks, while annoying to some, really do not limit you in your daily life.  The economy can thrive and people can live the way they used to with a mask.  The lockdowns need to end eventually because of the devastating economic and mental health impacts.  

I can’t really see any down sides to wearing masks for a couple more years besides that “it’s annoying”
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    no way they are going to be able to police 15,000 people at a show wearing and keeping on their mask. people drinking and dancing and jumping around in the pit. those masks are coming off as soon as the first note of Go is hit. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

I think the difference is that masks, while annoying to some, really do not limit you in your daily life.  The economy can thrive and people can live the way they used to with a mask.  The lockdowns need to end eventually because of the devastating economic and mental health impacts.  

I can’t really see any down sides to wearing masks for a couple more years besides that “it’s annoying”
    I hear you, man.  Don't get me wrong.  I wear a mask everywhere I go today and have since last March and I don't even find it all that annoying.  I guess that's my point though.  When the time comes to go see a live concert again, I really hoped the restrictions would be removed.  Drinking a beer, yelling, singing, etc. at a concert doesn't go well with mask wearing.  I guess I just don't fully see the point when everyone has been given an opportunity to be vaccinated.  If it is not safe to lose the masks at that point, when will it be?  We'll see how it shakes out.  Hope I get to see these guys live again.

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    no way they are going to be able to police 15,000 people at a show wearing and keeping on their mask. people drinking and dancing and jumping around in the pit. those masks are coming off as soon as the first note of Go is hit. 

Exactly! It's not gonna happen. Not for a while.
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

I hear you, man.  Don't get me wrong.  I wear a mask everywhere I go today and have since last March and I don't even find it all that annoying.  I guess that's my point though.  When the time comes to go see a live concert again, I really hoped the restrictions would be removed.  Drinking a beer, yelling, singing, etc. at a concert doesn't go well with mask wearing.  I guess I just don't fully see the point when everyone has been given an opportunity to be vaccinated.  If it is not safe to lose the masks at that point, when will it be?  We'll see how it shakes out.  Hope I get to see these guys live again.

Agree with this. Masks at a socially distance concert in the next couple of months ya that makes sense. Masks after everyone that wants to be vaccinated has been and shows are back on no thanks.  
  • If anything, I don't mind the mask in the cooler months. It helps to keep the face warm.

Here's a map of how many people and what percentage of each state has been vaccinated. Feel free to share:

https://www.wkyc.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/how-many-ohio-covid-19-vaccines/95-e60cc0d5-9553-4e8d-a0ba-5d041ae2c52d
  • Masks are going to be mandatory at Disney until at least the end of 2021
    Masks are going to be mandatory at Disney until at least the end of 2021
    I would love to see that article. We were thinking of taking the kids in the late fall if things opened back up. 
  • uglybabouglybabo Posts: 513
    PJNB said:
    I would love to see that article. We were thinking of taking the kids in the late fall if things opened back up. 

Yeah it was apparently announced at some investors meeting:

Disney CEO Bob Chapek announced on a company earnings call that he expects face masks to be required at the theme parks for the rest of 2021, but not in 2022.

Disney has also recently updated its Face Mask Policy and has clarified that guests who have received a COVID-19 vaccination are still required to wear face masks at the Disney Parks and hotels.

https://ziggyknowsdisney.com/disney-face-masks/

uglybabo said:
    PJNB said:

Yeah it was apparently announced at some investors meeting:

Disney CEO Bob Chapek announced on a company earnings call that he expects face masks to be required at the theme parks for the rest of 2021, but not in 2022.

Disney has also recently updated its Face Mask Policy and has clarified that guests who have received a COVID-19 vaccination are still required to wear face masks at the Disney Parks and hotels.

https://ziggyknowsdisney.com/disney-face-masks/

Cool thanks. I would only go if it was safe but with a 2 year old there is no chance keeping a mask on them all day. 
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,167
    bbiggs said:
    Me neither, also couldn't imagine a PJ show at anything less than capacity.
    FiveBelow said:
    bbiggs said:
    Agreed. 
  • bbiggs said:
    FiveBelow said:
    bbiggs said:
    Agreed. 
    I think a little imagination will be required if we ever want to see these guys again.  It’s going to be like flying after 9/11.  Some things will never be exactly the same. 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    bbiggs said:
    FiveBelow said:
    bbiggs said:
    Agreed. 
    I think a little imagination will be required if we ever want to see these guys again.  It’s going to be like flying after 9/11.  Some things will never be exactly the same. 
    Changes to air travel were required after 9/11 for the safety of all.  If large gatherings are changed indefinitely (i.e. masks, lower capacity) once everyone has an opportunity to be vaccinated, that just simply doesn't make sense to me.  Who are we protecting at that point?  Those that voluntarily refused a vaccine? 

• ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    FiveBelow said:
    bbiggs said:
    Agreed. 
    Changes to air travel were required after 9/11 for the safety of all.  If large gatherings are changed indefinitely (i.e. masks, lower capacity) once everyone has an opportunity to be vaccinated, that just simply doesn't make sense to me.  Who are we protecting at that point?  Those that voluntarily refused a vaccine? 

This. I have no problem wearing a mask now and doing what I have to do to prove everyone but once we all have a chance to be fully vaccinated the masks are coming off. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 301
    ComeToTX said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    FiveBelow said:
    bbiggs said:
    Agreed. 

This. I have no problem wearing a mask now and doing what I have to do to prove everyone but once we all have a chance to be fully vaccinated the masks are coming off. 
    Fully agree. Plus, we want people to get vaccinated - so much of the messaging and response to COVID-19 has been a debacle. Why not emphasize now that "the sooner you get vaccinated, the sooner we can all stop wearing masks." I get that people should wear masks until everyone has had a chance to get the vaccine. But after that, come on. The vaccine gives us a chance to get back to how things were. Health experts should be emphasizing that. If people have to keep distancing, wearing masks and living with other restrictions, some people might say a vaccine isn't worth the effort. Keep it simple. Dangle the carrot, not the stick.