What is the going rate for Benaroya Hall vinyl?

Comments

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    if you keep a record sealed for years on end then there is a real chance that it may not be playable. The plastic on records isn't meant to stay on for years and years and with seasonal changes in the weather that plastic can expand and constrict and possibly warp the vinyl. 

Sealed record pricing is actually a really bad price marker as that record may not be playable when it is finally opened.
    There's no consensus on this. Has way more to do with the conditions a record was stored in than sealed or open.
    edited February 2021
    Point being if the records are being stored in such extreme conditions that changes to the shrink wrap are warping the record, the shrink wrap ain't the main problem. Your open records will have issues, too.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    OG Vitalogy way better than the repressing. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited February 2021
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Unless you have two copies what is the purpose/reason of keeping a record sealed?
    1. No record player yet and gathering up vinyl is aspirational (that was me for a while)

2. Collecting vinyl as an investment (that's me with other stuff)

3. Wanting to have a physical copy of select albums but can't listen to everything due to volume and time constraints (this is me now - I'd say about 1 of every 10 albums I've bought over the last couple years is still sealed)
    No one seems to question this when it comes to guitars or jerseys. It works under the same concept.
    I agree. People keep zippos and hoodies and everything else, but give people crap for not spinning the vinyl. I'm in the camp where i use almost everything PJ I collect. I keep my 2 Zippos filled , I just don't carry it on my pocket. But that's me. You want to hang vinyl on a shelf as a collector, fine.  
    But I probably wouldn't play a Benny if I had one. I'd just be too nervous there'd be an earthquake and ruin it or something, and I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. I had Boston's Don't Look Back that I paid like $6 for and I dropped it taking it off the record player and it shattered, I was pissed for like 2 hours over 6 bucks. Mathematically I'd be pissed for 667 hours if I broke a Benny. Not worth the risk when there's a good CD.
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,874
    mcgruff10 said:
    Unless you have two copies what is the purpose/reason of keeping a record sealed?
    So much this.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    if you keep a record sealed for years on end then there is a real chance that it may not be playable. The plastic on records isn't meant to stay on for years and years and with seasonal changes in the weather that plastic can expand and constrict and possibly warp the vinyl. 

Sealed record pricing is actually a really bad price marker as that record may not be playable when it is finally opened.

True, but benaroya is in a box, so it's probably resistant to the shrink wrap shrinking.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    CB6978 said:
    NewJPage said:
    Make me an offer
    Are you buying or selling?
    Well not really planning on it but potentially Selling 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • demetrios said:
    https://www.discogs.com/Pearl-Jam-Oct-22-2003-Benaroya-Hall/release/1079795
    • Lowest:

CA$1,152.00
    • Median:

CA$1,539.08
    • Highest:

CA$4,479.99
    I sold my sealed Benny for $2000.00 US a few months ago.
  • CrewCrew Posts: 299
    mace1229 said:
    I agree. People keep zippos and hoodies and everything else, but give people crap for not spinning the vinyl. 
    I mean, there's obviously a big difference between Zippos, hoodies, and records.  Zippos are collectible in and of themselves, whether you use them as a lighter or not.  A hoodie can be worn, or not - it has no other function.

Records, on the other hand, are not just pretty packaging - they're a medium to bring a (in this case, live) performance into your home.  Keeping it wrapped up doesn't do the music justice, and prevents someone else from experiencing that show - there are plenty of people who would happily spin them.

Cars are meant to be driven, whisky is meant to be drank, and records are meant to be spun.  I literally cannot wrap my head around the idea of buying any of those things and NOT enjoying them personally.  You're literally just keeping them warm for the next guy.  

I sincerely hope there's a re-issue, so that all the hoarding and holding out was for nothing.  
  • zdogbonezdogbone Posts: 117
    My orange copy was $49 i think in November.  

I know.  I know. 
    How's it sound? I was thinking of snagging one but it looked too bootleggy
    Three crooked hearts and swirls all around... I miss you all day
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    zdogbone said:
    My orange copy was $49 i think in November.  

I know.  I know. 
    How's it sound? I was thinking of snagging one but it looked too bootleggy

Sounds exactly like the CD.  No pops or skips.  “All or None” is missing about 1 or 2 seconds of audio at the end of the song.  Other than that it’s pressed really well.  If your goal is spinning the show it’s perfect.  I love the original Benny. Its still a grail of mine but this will get me by until theres either a repress or more band members kids sell signed versions for cheap. 
    Crew said:
    mace1229 said:
    I agree. People keep zippos and hoodies and everything else, but give people crap for not spinning the vinyl. 
    I mean, there's obviously a big difference between Zippos, hoodies, and records.  Zippos are collectible in and of themselves, whether you use them as a lighter or not.  A hoodie can be worn, or not - it has no other function.

Records, on the other hand, are not just pretty packaging - they're a medium to bring a (in this case, live) performance into your home.  Keeping it wrapped up doesn't do the music justice, and prevents someone else from experiencing that show - there are plenty of people who would happily spin them.

Cars are meant to be driven, whisky is meant to be drank, and records are meant to be spun.  I literally cannot wrap my head around the idea of buying any of those things and NOT enjoying them personally.  You're literally just keeping them warm for the next guy.  

I sincerely hope there's a re-issue, so that all the hoarding and holding out was for nothing.  
    I personally agree with you. I use or display nearly everything that I collect. My dad is a huge watch collector, he gives me a new old stock watch from the 60s or 70s every few years. I start wearing it right away and he jokes it just lost half its value.  I just don't see the difference in the wide variety of things people do collect and records, and why people get crap for having a sealed record. 
    And nothing made to be a collector's item is ever worth much. And on the other hand a record that sold for $35 15 years ago and is now worth $2000 I would argue is a collector item in and of itself. 
    No ones gives poster collectors crap for keeping a good poster in a folder and not framing it on a wall. Or tells someone to fire up a zippo, or wear the socks. All of those things are "meant" to be used and displayed or worn. 
    So while I wouldn't keep a record sealed (if it was my only copy), I don't see the difference in countless other collector items and don't understand why vinyl collectors get crap when no one else does. I would imagine a lot of people bought those records, (and RVM, LD, 2 legs, the vaults and so on)  who didn't even have a record player and just wanted to add to their Pearl Jam collection. Makes no difference to me what people chose to collect. Except that it drives up vinyl process. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    demetrios said:
    https://www.discogs.com/Pearl-Jam-Oct-22-2003-Benaroya-Hall/release/1079795
    • Lowest:

CA$1,152.00
    • Median:

CA$1,539.08
    • Highest:

CA$4,479.99
    I sold my sealed Benny for $2000.00 US a few months ago.

• mace1229 said:
    Crew said:
    mace1229 said:

I personally agree with you. I use or display nearly everything that I collect. My dad is a huge watch collector, he gives me a new old stock watch from the 60s or 70s every few years. I start wearing it right away and he jokes it just lost half its value.  I just don't see the difference in the wide variety of things people do collect and records, and why people get crap for having a sealed record. 
    And nothing made to be a collector's item is ever worth much. And on the other hand a record that sold for $35 15 years ago and is now worth $2000 I would argue is a collector item in and of itself. 
    No ones gives poster collectors crap for keeping a good poster in a folder and not framing it on a wall. Or tells someone to fire up a zippo, or wear the socks. All of those things are "meant" to be used and displayed or worn. 
    So while I wouldn't keep a record sealed (if it was my only copy), I don't see the difference in countless other collector items and don't understand why vinyl collectors get crap when no one else does. I would imagine a lot of people bought those records, (and RVM, LD, 2 legs, the vaults and so on)  who didn't even have a record player and just wanted to add to their Pearl Jam collection. Makes no difference to me what people chose to collect. Except that it drives up vinyl process. 
    A poster stored in a file can still be taken out and looked at and appreciated as the art form is meant to be without framing or permanently displaying it.    A zippo even if it were used, would still be displayed, so used or unused, it's the same.  Socks? I agree.  Not sure if you're not going to wear it what the point is.  But, for most of the other stuff you mention, they can still be "enjoyed" in the way they were meant to be without "full" use.  

If you don't touch the needle to the vinyl, you're not using it properly.  

that being said, if someone wants to keep vinyl wrapped, I don't really care.  To each their own. 
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • mace1229 said:
    Crew said:
    mace1229 said:

A poster stored in a file can still be taken out and looked at and appreciated as the art form is meant to be without framing or permanently displaying it.    A zippo even if it were used, would still be displayed, so used or unused, it's the same.  Socks? I agree.  Not sure if you're not going to wear it what the point is.  But, for most of the other stuff you mention, they can still be "enjoyed" in the way they were meant to be without "full" use.  

If you don't touch the needle to the vinyl, you're not using it properly.  

that being said, if someone wants to keep vinyl wrapped, I don't really care.  To each their own. 
    You can have socks on a shelf like you can a hat and look at them.  Same goes for a sticker or newsletter.  

you can sift through them just like a poster portfolio.

Collect whatever you want.  I know I collect too much, lol!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited February 2021
    Literature break: https://harpers.org/archive/1973/04/everyday-use/

Edit: What a coweenkeedeenk! Google tells me it's Ms. Walker's birthday today. I didn't even know that when I posted the link to her story. It just came to mind when reading the discussion. I just love the story. And quilts. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    I feel the same way... some people collect the thing, some people use the thing, some people do both.

With vinyl I find myself both using and collecting vinyl.     Same with CD's.  Will I ever really spin my copy of Give Way? :)
    edited February 2021
    I have some records i just don't touch.  They’re too valuable to me.  

-autographed Replacements record. You’re never seeing that again.   Autographed Backspacer record.  I have a fear of messing it up :lol:

-LP hand painted/splattered by Billie Eilish (with hand prints and boot prints lol).  My wife and daughter keep that behind glass. 

Vinyl is best on a turntable but if Benny is worth 2k im not judging anyone for keeping it sealed lol. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited February 2021
    I agree. I still need to find an MPO pressing of the Vitalogy repress to see what that cut sounds like. The 2011 United pressing was terrible, imo.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2021
    I really don’t understand why people care what other people do with their vinyl. Listen to it, collect it sealed or opened, use it as a platter to microwave a 10” frozen McCains pizza, use it as a frisbee and play taps ... have atter!
    The fact is you bought it, it’s yours do as you wish.

As far as what they are worth, just like the house you own, the car you drive or a snickers bar... it is worth what someone will pay for it. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    MedozK said:
    I agree. I still need to find an MPO pressing of the Vitalogy repress to see what that cut sounds like. The 2011 United pressing was terrible, imo.
    I have the MPO.  I have not heard the 2011 repress.  The MPO sounds clean and clear, but I can't tell you more than that.  I have always liked it, and recently got a stand alone phono pre and that is driving some more detail to my ear than I heard previously.  I am get5. ting a second turntable with a higher end cart later this month (hopefully if it ships).  

To be clear also I am not a hi-fi equipment owner, I have what I would categorize as entry level acceptable gear.  I use an Onkyo that had a phone in, I own an origial U-Turn that carries at Orton OE-5.  I just got what I think are acceptable but low end Klipsch bookshelf RB-51Ms last February.  Last week I added a Cambridge Alva Duo.  my new deck when is arrives will still be lower end, hi quality, but not 1,000+ tt.  the cart is the price of the deck.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

Crew said:
    mace1229 said:

In the vast majority of cases you can bring that live show into your home digitally or via cd for 10-15 bucks. Once bands started playing around with fancy colors and limited pressings, the handwriting was on the wall.
  • SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,072
    edited February 2021
    Crew said:
    mace1229 said:

I don’t see how not spinning it keeps someone else from spinning it. If I open it and spin it, that doesn’t help anyone else hear it. If I decide to sell because I'm not going to spin it, it's still going to be pretty darn expensive for whoever decides to buy it. So what's preventing those who would happily spin it from getting it is the insane price tag/limited supply, not whether other people are spinning them. 
    Post edited by SHZA on
    edited February 2021
    Yo can the authorities chime in on what people are/aren't allowed to do with the bat once they land?
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    In the case of Benaroya, I say it could bother someone who wants one, won’t buy or can’t afford the going rate hearing people that have one or more sitting around in its shrink wrap. Envy more or less. I get both sides of the discussion. Doesn’t make one person more right than the other. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    pjl44 said:
    Yo can the authorities chime in on what people are/aren't allowed to do with the bat once they land?
    Can: hang on wall, batting practice, fetch with dog, build a fire, replace a wobbly table leg with it, use as a hammer, trade it for a Benny (just to tie it into the thread)
    Can’t: threaten neighbors, cork it and give to Sosa, use as a stirring paddle in large pots (not food rated).
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Saw the bootleg vinyl @ my local record store. $89.99 CDN. 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    demetrios said:
    Saw the bootleg vinyl @ my local record store. $89.99 CDN. 
    Trash, sad record stores actually bring that stuff in their stores. I guess everyone trying to make money, even if it's illegal.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    Joint I used to go to is always posting boot vinyl imports...not cheap either.  I don't like that. If they state 'unofficial' I guess that's ok. Just a lot of people will pay 40+ not knowing.
    :lol: my local shop has more PJ bootlegs than studio releases