Options

What is the going rate for Benaroya Hall vinyl?

Comments

• Options
    brianjonesbrianjones Posts: 235
    edited March 2021
    I can attest to the beauty of this record set. I owned it before I upgraded my system and it sounded awesome. Though with a much better CD player, & amp, the CD version is gorgeous. Don’t get caught in the trap of thinking you’ll
    hear something that isn’t detectable on the CD release and drop $2k. 
    I double the beauty of the record. But the vinyl is something else!
    I also just upgraded my entire setup; amp, tt & speakers, and I’m listening to disc1 right now. I’ve had this box since day 1 and it has never sounded so clear and beautiful. Ed’s voice, the guitars, everything is coming out so clearly. 
    Although I’ve overpaid many records along the years, I’d never pay what the market is asking right now!  I just hope for everybody’s hearing pleasure that this gets reissued on black vinyl at some point. Everyone deserves to enjoy this beautiful set. 
    Post edited by brianjones on
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

I've been pretty tempted to buy a bootleg of Tool's Aenima album.  Been waiting years for a re-release.  I've been tempted many times to buy a bootleg just so I can spin it.

Saw that Aenima bootleg vinyl too in stores. Tempted but passed.

Also don't bother w the QOTSA ST boot, another horrible pressing.
    Learned this the hard way years ago. At that point I wasn't even aware that I should be on the lookout for bootlegs in a store. It's total junk.
  • Options
    Boota can sometimespjl44 said:
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

I've been pretty tempted to buy a bootleg of Tool's Aenima album.  Been waiting years for a re-release.  I've been tempted many times to buy a bootleg just so I can spin it.

Learned this the hard way years ago. At that point I wasn't even aware that I should be on the lookout for bootlegs in a store. It's total junk.
    Boots can sometimes be surprising. I have Chris Cornell’ Songbook and it sounds pristine. Better than the CD. Got it for cheap a few months ago cause the going rate for an official was stupid high. Same thing for RHCP Hyde Park and a few live unreleased Radiohead lps (Germany 2001 and Austin City Limits 2012); they sound as good if not better than my first pressing I Might Be Wrong lp. They really sound great.  Never struck gold on bootleg versions of studio albums, but the live ones sometimes seem to do an amazing job. 
    Wish I could say the same about my Atlanta ‘94 PJ vinyl. Got this one out of nostalgia for my 3cd digipack that I overplayed for years. Vinyl is just meh; especially now that we have the full audio form 10C. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

Boots can sometimes be surprising. I have Chris Cornell’ Songbook and it sounds pristine. Better than the CD. Got it for cheap a few months ago cause the going rate for an official was stupid high. Same thing for RHCP Hyde Park and a few live unreleased Radiohead lps (Germany 2001 and Austin City Limits 2012); they sound as good if not better than my first pressing I Might Be Wrong lp. They really sound great.  Never struck gold on bootleg versions of studio albums, but the live ones sometimes seem to do an amazing job. 
    Wish I could say the same about my Atlanta ‘94 PJ vinyl. Got this one out of nostalgia for my 3cd digipack that I overplayed for years. Vinyl is just meh; especially now that we have the full audio form 10C. 
    Other than the main copyright issue, my second big issue is how do you know? I guess if you're pretty dialed in and do the research you'll be ok. I was an average schmuck when I bought that Queens record, having no idea it was a bootleg nor that it sucked. That and a couple similar issues (TOTD bootleg, bad Lucero press) slowed down my vinyl purchasing for a decent stretch. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    pjl44 said:
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

Other than the main copyright issue, my second big issue is how do you know? I guess if you're pretty dialed in and do the research you'll be ok. I was an average schmuck when I bought that Queens record, having no idea it was a bootleg nor that it sucked. That and a couple similar issues (TOTD bootleg, bad Lucero press) slowed down my vinyl purchasing for a decent stretch. 
    Yeah, there are some albums that I won't even attempt to purchase (Mirrorball comes to mind) because there are just too many bootleg versions out there.

Having said that, the bootleg copy of Le Noise I was gifted doesn't sound too shabby. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    dankind said:
    pjl44 said:
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

Yeah, there are some albums that I won't even attempt to purchase (Mirrorball comes to mind) because there are just too many bootleg versions out there.

Having said that, the bootleg copy of Le Noise I was gifted doesn't sound too shabby. 
    Yea, they key to Mirror Ball is you have to make sure the runout information is correct. Most bootleggers aren't really trying to "Copy" the originals. They're just flooding the market with inferior goods, so they usually don't copy runouts.

So with Mirror Ball, just look for the SRC logo, showing it was pressed at Specialty Records.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,018
    edited March 2021
    MedozK said:
    dankind said:
    pjl44 said:
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

Yea, they key to Mirror Ball is you have to make sure the runout information is correct. Most bootleggers aren't really trying to "Copy" the originals. They're just flooding the market with inferior goods, so they usually don't copy runouts.

So with Mirror Ball, just look for the SRC logo, showing it was pressed at Specialty Records.
    I would say that them copying the "runout information" or not has zero to with it being "inferior goods" or not. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    JV130312 said:
    Crazy prices.  Wonder how much they would drop on a re-release.
    Is there a history of super expensive vinyl going down in prices with a re-release?

I can understand e.g. Riot Act or No Code doing it because people bough them to actually play them, and had to pay 60-100 dollars or wahtever they are/were prices at.

But if you buy something for 3000 dollars. Are you in the same market as the ones who would buy it because they wanna spin it instead of playing the CD?
    I don’t know.  That’s the question.  I mean there’s probably the completist type person that wants it to have every vinyl.  There’s the people that want it to play it on vinyl and then there’s probably both.  I think in the mind of the completist, it’s not going to go down in value but if it’s released limited or in mass, you may lose 2/3 of the group that would consider paying $2000 for it to the new copies?  Don’t know...
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    Generally it depends on the differences between the OP and the reissue, if all things are the same, there are usual dips in secondary market prices when things are reissued. Color and numbering in this case could be a factor, but essentially, it does kill a market for the OP, or at least, tops it out. 

If there was a repress, and the only difference is the lack of numbering, these won't go from $2000 to $200, but I could see it taking a few hundred dollar dip. 

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    Look at the drop on the 96 pressing of No Code, when the reissue came out in 2016. 2016 (pages 1 and 2) and 2015 (page 3).

Significant drop off.

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=no code pearl jam 1996&sortord=ddate&pagenum=1&incldescr=&layout=cv&sprice=&eprice=&endfrom=2003&endthru=2016&bidsfrom=&bidsthru=&flabel=&fcatno=

I've been around the vinyl game since Vitalogy came out and I've seen lots of 90s and early aughts record skyrocket on the bay, and then come back down when they get reissued for a 10th or 20th anniversary.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    I would concur.  When the only way to acquire an album is via a decades old limited edition run... it's going to be costly.  People are going to pay more because it's the only way to get a legit copy.   Once it gets repressed the value will drop like a stone.   There's going to be far less people that when faced with a choice of $2000 vs $80 are going to choose $2000.   Even the people that legit want to own an original will probably be able to get one far lower because they won't have to compete against all the people who would prefer an $80 reissue.

I think this is pretty common for 90s (or early 00s) vinyl.  One's that don't have represses can be worth a mint, but once repressed, the values go down.  Maybe still higher than a repress, but not anywhere near like they were when they were the only game in town.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,187
    edited March 2021
    Zod said:
    There's going to be far less people that when faced with a choice of $2000 vs $80 are going to choose $2000. 
    That is no doubt true but that doesn’t mean the resale prices will necessarily drop. The question is whether the number of people who are still willing to pay $2k is still larger than the number of OGs which come up for sale. They don’t pop up that often. When the bootleg version became available I saw plenty of people say they’d be happy with the bootleg and weren’t going to chase the OG anymore, but the OG prices have still been higher since the bootleg came out. 

Look at the drop on the 96 pressing of No Code, when the reissue came out in 2016. 2016 (pages 1 and 2) and 2015 (page 3).

Significant drop off.

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=no code pearl jam 1996&sortord=ddate&pagenum=1&incldescr=&layout=cv&sprice=&eprice=&endfrom=2003&endthru=2016&bidsfrom=&bidsthru=&flabel=&fcatno=

I've been around the vinyl game since Vitalogy came out and I've seen lots of 90s and early aughts record skyrocket on the bay, and then come back down when they get reissued for a 10th or 20th anniversary.
    How many of the 96 no code pressing were made compared to benaroya? If the edition sizes aren’t similar I don’t think the no code dip is informative. 
    Post edited by SHZA on
  • Options
    Yah, I still think Benaroya's would drop.  There's not many vinyl that got reissued that you didn't see the original drop in value.   It's a fairly rare occurance (it does happen.. like for some reason I can't figure out why Wildflowers OP's keep going up), but it's rare.

I think a lot of what drives the Benaroya Market is there's no alternate legitimate pressing.   If an official option just in good in sound quality as the original came out, not only would less people be looking for an original, but people with the original might downsize.

That's my thought's.  We'll probably never find out for sure :)
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    I’ve found the rule of thumb is: pressings that are fan-club exclusive tend to appreciate and hold value more than any other type of pressing. 

The details change over time, but whenever I sort my collection on Discogs by highest or median sale price, the top 10-25 is dominated by Ten Club Vaults and other exclusives, TMR Vaults, Cherry Tree exclusives, etc. 

A Benny reissue that was not club-exclusive wouldn’t really “compete” with the existing run, and thus would have a negligible impact on the resale value of the pink numbered boxes. 

A reissue that was club-exclusive (maybe different color vinyl, different numbering series, different packaging, whatever) would take a more significant bite out of the current resale market. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited March 2021
    As the newest owner (until tomorrow when someone buys the one ending on ebay) i’ll chime in......

If you collect then you collect.  I just dropped some cash on one. Im a vinyl guy and im a PJ guy.  If you’re both then those worlds collide with Benaroya Hall.  It’s the big one.  Like i said earlier. I just love rare vinyl. I’m my daughter’s hero for buying a record that Billie Eilish put paint covered footprints on. :lol:   For PJ once i had the opportunity i knew i had to track one down.  It’s not even the rarest PJ LP (Orpheum? Blue Vs?) but it’s by far the coolest. 

It’s worth the cash to a lot of collectors.  Putting a sealed Benny on the mantle is going to be pretty surreal.  Can’t wait. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    As the newest owner (until tomorrow when someone buys the one ending on ebay) i’ll chime in......

If you collect then you collect.  I just dropped some cash on one. Im a vinyl guy and im a PJ guy.  If you’re both then those worlds collide with Benaroya Hall.  Its the Chief foil of the vinyl side.  The MJ rookie card PJ vinyl equivalent.  It’s the big one.  Like i said earlier. I just love rare vinyl. I’m my daughter’s hero for buying a record that Billie Eilish put paint covered footprints on. :lol:   For PJ once i had the opportunity i knew i had to track one down.  

It’s worth the cash to a lot of collectors.  Putting a sealed Benny on the mantle is going to be pretty surreal.  Can’t wait. 
    Damn maybe I should sell mine 😁
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,850
    tdawe said:

That's not sealed.

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,793
    edited March 2021
    Wow!
    Does anyone have any history of what ones w/o posters sell for.
    I'm not really sure how a missing poster would affect the street value.

I scored a beggars banquet from a thrift shop that has a poster. I didn't even know there ever was one.

49 cents plus tax!
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
    matt84matt84 Posts: 598
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

I really hope RHCP Live in Hyde Park gets a reissue. That only got a limited LP release in Germany. Hopefully now that John’s back in the band it might happen. (Sorry off topic).
  • Options
    matt84 said:
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

I really hope RHCP Live in Hyde Park gets a reissue. That only got a limited LP release in Germany. Hopefully now that John’s back in the band it might happen. (Sorry off topic).
    https://www.discogs.com/Red-Hot-Chili-Peppers-Live-In-Hyde-Park/release/15495839

Hate to encourage bootlegs, but this sounds amazing 
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,999
    demetrios said:
    tdawe said:

That's not sealed.

Went for almost $2,900. God damn. 
  • Options
    tdawe said:
    demetrios said:
    tdawe said:

That's not sealed.

Went for almost $2,900. God damn. 
    Yup. Hard for me not to start to consider whether I should sell mine or not
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Almost $3K?? Wow.

Yup...I will never own the OP. I just hope they reissue it at some point. Black sleeve, black vinyl..works for me. I just want to spin the damn thing without selling an organ, Fucking crazy.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,018
    Just hold tight. It will be part of the Riot Act Super Deluxe box set release.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    To get one you have to do is outlive everyone else here, then buy it from one of our kids for like $50 when they don’t know any different.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    To get one you have to do is outlive everyone else here, then buy it from one of our kids for like $50 when they don’t know any different.

It's morbid, but this has occured to me too.  While there are outliers, many of us are close in age.  Once we're gone, the diehard core of people who would want this stuff will be gone.  If you outlive most everyone else you should be able to get your rare vinyl and posters for next to nothing :)
  • Options
    axeljohanaxeljohan Posts: 404
    3 new Bennys on eBay, 2 sealed one opened. We will see if they also go for close to 3k. 
  • Options
    JBC7913JBC7913 Posts: 381
    axeljohan said:
    3 new Bennys on eBay, 2 sealed one opened. We will see if they also go for close to 3k. 
    Are you able to provide the links for the others, my search only brings up the sealed one. Cheers