Options

What is the going rate for Benaroya Hall vinyl?

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,766
    ^^^It's all good news^^^ to the people that don't have an og to spin. Mirrorball or other stuff.
  • Options
    Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,105
    NewJPage said:
    Loujoe said:
    ^mirrorball yes. Benny we don't know yet.
    Lol maybe some miscommunication there sorry!
    That’s on me. Didn’t see you guys were talking about Mirrorball, lol. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    JBob87 said:
    I just don't understand buying a bootleg of this at all. You are at best if the pressing was done 100% perfectly getting the widely available CD audio, with the added benefit of now having to get up off the couch more frequently to flip the disks over. Oh and you are also supporting bootleggers profiting without giving a cut to the band. Just a very "peak vinyl" thing to see these boots going for $$. 
    I agree with the quality. But the not giving the band their cut seems like a non issue. How much of a cut are they getting when people sell their copy for $2000? Bands get zero on a secondary market, bootleg or not. If they wanted a cut, they’d release it.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,115
    In addition to the sound quality, I like spinning vinyl.  I can completely replicate CD quality without using a CD.   But I can't replicate the experience of putting on a record.

I've been pretty tempted to buy a bootleg of Tool's Aenima album.  Been waiting years for a re-release.  I've been tempted many times to buy a bootleg just so I can spin it.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,745
    Zod said:

I've been pretty tempted to buy a bootleg of Tool's Aenima album.  Been waiting years for a re-release.  I've been tempted many times to buy a bootleg just so I can spin it.

Saw that Aenima bootleg vinyl too in stores. Tempted but passed.
  • Options
    RobbertRobbert Rotterdam, the Netherlands Posts: 741
    edited March 2021
    Can someone tell me what the story is behind the orange Benaroya Hall vinyl? Is it unofficial? Because there is a TenClub 2004 sign on the back. Was it a European sell?

The sound is pretty damn good by the way :)
    Post edited by Robbert on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    mace1229 said:
    JBob87 said:
    I just don't understand buying a bootleg of this at all. You are at best if the pressing was done 100% perfectly getting the widely available CD audio, with the added benefit of now having to get up off the couch more frequently to flip the disks over. Oh and you are also supporting bootleggers profiting without giving a cut to the band. Just a very "peak vinyl" thing to see these boots going for $$. 
    I agree with the quality. But the not giving the band their cut seems like a non issue. How much of a cut are they getting when people sell their copy for $2000? Bands get zero on a secondary market, bootleg or not. If they wanted a cut, they’d release it.
    They could do like some Video Game companies, and try to activly kill the second hand market because of making no profits. Hehe. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    NewJPage said:
    Loujoe said:
    ^mirrorball yes. Benny we don't know yet.
    Lol maybe some miscommunication there sorry!
    That’s on me. Didn’t see you guys were talking about Mirrorball, lol. 
    Heh. I was asking about Benaroya with my initial comment. Bevause DImtrious wrote something to the effect of "didn't find it in the store but I did find a bootleg mirrorball" signaling that a bootleg Benaroya was what he was refering to.

I am just surprised it hasn't popped up before, with what they are going for. Why bootleg "Binaural" instead of bootleging Benaroya etc.

Would like to see a Netflix documentary on conterfeit albums. How is that industry working. Who decided what should be bootlegd, how do they make it, how do they get it out to stores etc. Full on bootlegs, but also thoise grey area radio broadcasts that swarm our record stores over here.

Just read something about KISS' Sonic Boom album which is expensive as hell on vinyl. And seems like two different bootlegs exist - one in gatefold and one without gatefold. Is that then competing conterfiet companies' versions? Does the one making gaatefold version have more of a love for their craft and the album than the other one? 

Give me the Netflix doc on this!
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    JBob87 said:
    Not to mention that you have no idea what criminal/terrorist organization may be profiting from the counterfeit of any officially licensed merchandise.  
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    JBob87 said:
    Not to mention that you have no idea what criminal/terrorist organization may be profiting from the counterfeit of any officially licensed merchandise.  
    Two joke answers to this, presented here in a bullet point list:

ANSWER 1:
    • "Ticketmaster?"

ANSWER 2:
    • "More or less than what China is profiting of all Apple products people buy?"

Also, is there any source that it is a revenue income to "terrorist organizations" ? That sould make the Netflix doc even more interesting.

The whole counterfiet-thing is crazy.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited March 2021
    Robbert said:
    Can someone tell me what the story is behind the orange Benaroya Hall vinyl? Is it unofficial? Because there is a TenClub 2004 sign on the back. Was it a European sell?

It's a bootleg. They just took the CD image and enlarged it. I love how I heard that the record has a glitch in it. Prolly not a lot of QC going on. Hilarious these things are being bought for $100 on ebay. People will buy anything. lol 
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

Bought that in a bundle.  Don't bother.

Also don't bother w the QOTSA ST boot, another horrible pressing.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,745
    demetrios said:
    Zod said:

Bought that in a bundle.  Don't bother.

Also don't bother w the QOTSA ST boot, another horrible pressing.

Thanks for the heads up. 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    JBob87 said:
    Two joke answers to this, presented here in a bullet point list:

ANSWER 1:
    • "Ticketmaster?"

ANSWER 2:
    • "More or less than what China is profiting of all Apple products people buy?"

Also, is there any source that it is a revenue income to "terrorist organizations" ? That sould make the Netflix doc even more interesting.

The whole counterfiet-thing is crazy.
    I stand by what I said. It’s my money, I’ll spend it how I see fit. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2021
    MedozK said:
    Robbert said:

It's a bootleg. They just took the CD image and enlarged it. I love how I heard that the record has a glitch in it. Prolly not a lot of QC going on. Hilarious these things are being bought for $100 on ebay. People will buy anything. lol 
    As for the OG, they just took the CD and pressed it to colored vinyl and packaged it in a pretty little limited box. I love how I heard that they had to tear the shrink wrap to number them. Prolly not a lot of QC going on. Hilarious that these things are being sold among “friends” for greater than $2,000. 

People certainly will buy anything. lol
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:
    Robbert said:

As for the OG, they just took the CD and pressed it to colored vinyl and packaged it in a pretty little limited box. I love how I heard that they had to tear the shrink wrap to number them. Prolly not a lot of QC going on. Hilarious that these things are being sold among “friends” for greater than $2,000. 

I've never heard the show on vinyl. But heard other say it sounds amazing. The original really was just a pressing from the CD?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:
    Robbert said:

I've never heard the show on vinyl. But heard other say it sounds amazing. The original really was just a pressing from the CD?
    I'll admit I was assuming as much based on their catalog pressings, and I'll be the first to eat crow if I'm wrong.

If it's analog sourced, it would be one of their only (if not only) analog-sourced releases out there. ("Let Me Sleep" was a tape recorder, no?) 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited March 2021
    Lol, Yea I am sure the officially released vinyl cut by John Golden at his professional mastering facility was just a CD player hooked to his cutting lath.

Of course it was not a CD source, I'm sure it was recorded digitally and then those source files were used to cut the lacquers. You can look at measurements for the Dynamic Range of the vinyl vs the CD and see the difference.

Long ago, I sold a bunch of stuff and saved to buy my copy for $900. The marketplace dictates the price of these things, as much as we may dislike it you can save up and buy one, forget about and just listen to the CD (which sounds great), complain about it, or buy an overpriced bootleg. The choice is up to the individuals.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Same digital source was what I was was going for. Sorry I wasn’t clear. From what I recall, the CD sounded great (sold my collection years ago). I’m sure it’s nice to hear that same great source on vinyl.  

What you’re describing sounds like bootleg shit. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    dankind said:
    Same digital source was what I was was going for. Sorry I wasn’t clear. From what I recall, the CD sounded great (sold my collection years ago). I’m sure it’s nice to hear that same great source on vinyl.  

Digital source doesn't mean it's the same as the cd. CD is quite limited compared to vinyl 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    NewJPage said:
    dankind said:

Digital source doesn't mean it's the same as the cd. CD is quite limited compared to vinyl 
    OK. I have great sounding records that were digitally sourced—Petty’s 7LP live anthology and a version I have of Bowie’s Ziggy come to mind—but I have neither the ears (tinnitus) nor the hi-fi equipment to tell the difference between the way those sound and the 4CD Petty set that I wore the hell out of and my old Rykos. I do know that it gives me more joy to spin vinyl. Also, my old Discman has had it.  
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,470
    NewJPage said:
    dankind said:

Limited in what way?
  • Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,410
    Crazy prices.  Wonder how much they would drop on a re-release.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    JV130312 said:
    Is there a history of super expensive vinyl going down in prices with a re-release?

I can understand e.g. Riot Act or No Code doing it because people bough them to actually play them, and had to pay 60-100 dollars or wahtever they are/were prices at.

But if you buy something for 3000 dollars. Are you in the same market as the ones who would buy it because they wanna spin it instead of playing the CD?
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I can attest to the beauty of this record set. I owned it before I upgraded my system and it sounded awesome. Though with a much better CD player, & amp, the CD version is gorgeous. Don’t get caught in the trap of thinking you’ll
    hear something that isn’t detectable on the CD release and drop $2k. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Also, FWIW, I bought an opened used Benny for $535. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 1,996
    JV130312 said:
    Would depend on the manner of the re-release. If they did another club-exclusive run similar to the last one, it would take a huge bite out of the resale value for the original. If they just did a wide release through non-club channels, it probably wouldn’t bring down the value of the 10C box by very much. 
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 431
    NewJPage said:
    dankind said:

How would bootleggers have access to a better digital source than the CD?
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    JBob87 said:
    NewJPage said:
    dankind said:

How would bootleggers have access to a better digital source than the CD?
    They don't. That's why the bootleg vinyl doesn't make sense 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    I can attest to the beauty of this record set. I owned it before I upgraded my system and it sounded awesome. Though with a much better CD player, & amp, the CD version is gorgeous. Don’t get caught in the trap of thinking you’ll
    hear something that isn’t detectable on the CD release and drop $2k. 
    https://y.yarn.co/2646293e-a57d-431a-baca-9a00f3cb7e70.mp4
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652