2020 Fall North American rumour thread

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    edited January 2021
    I disagree with that. I think once the band and their crew get shots, I bet we get a MW Radio like live stream of them knocking out about an hour or two of tunes from a beach, and empty club or the warehouse or something. 

I’ve seen the hold steady, the oh Sees and Jason Isbell do that this year. I think we’ll see a bunch more before the year is out and I think PJ will be one of them. 
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 1,990
    edited January 2021
    Mmmmm. Can’t wait to see THS again. 
    The first “Massive Nights” show in 2016, a few weeks after the election, is one of my favorite rock shows that I’ve ever seen. While it wasn’t overtly political, the sense of togetherness and community that they generated felt like the exact right antidote for that moment. Since then it’s become an annual tradition for me and my friends, one of the events I most look forward to every year, and it was a real bummer to not be able to be there in 2020. If they’re able to make it happen this year I’m going to cry like a big ol’ baby.
    Post edited by tdawe on
  • Pearl jam doesnt want to be around your germs. Thats why we’re gonna sit out for awhile. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    PJ would never do this. Right?

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I can't see them ever doing it.  I don't know that I would want to go to that show anyway.  Just wait.  Leave that for the young people.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,378
    Those things can pop.  That’s what happened to the bubble boy. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,765
    on2legs said:
    Those things can pop.  That’s what happened to the bubble boy. 

1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    tdawe said:
    Tampa and the NFL are allowing 22,000 for the super bowl in a few weeks

7,500 of them will be fully vaccinated Heath care workers 

If we can do this in February, why can’t we do similar things in October?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/22/us/super-bowl-fans-spt/index.html
    There are some places in this country, like Florida, where legally speaking you can basically do any fucking thing that you want to do vis a vis gatherings. In the near future it will be theoretically possible for bands and promoters to put on shows in those places, making judgments on their own about their comfort level regarding the vaccination levels of the population. Under no circumstances is Pearl Jam going to be one of those bands. 

In the non-psychotic parts of the country, the process is going to go like this:
    1. A lot of people get vaccinated.
    2. A lot more people get vaccinated.
    3. Case, hospitalization and death numbers start leveling off,
    4. A whole bunch more people get vaccinated.
    5. Numbers start going down.
    6. Another fuckload of people get vaccinated.
    7. Numbers finally reach satisfactory levels.
    8. It will once again be permissible to pack thousands of people in one place for a show.
    9. Pearl Jam and other bands book shows.

Playing shows before the vaccination effort has translated into acceptable community spread numbers is simply not going to be an option in most states. Will you be able to catch certain shows in Tampa or Dallas this summer? Perhaps. But PJ isn’t going on the road again until things have gotten to a level that’s acceptable in NYC and LA.
    I agree with everything you said, but I also think number 9 on your timeline is going to happen well before the end of 2021.

5% of the population here in Massachusetts has already been vaccinated, and the COVID numbers are already starting to plateau, as our governor who is very very strict with COVID announced that he is lifting the curfew and will likely be expanding business capacity limits in 2 weeks.  

So that's 5% of the state vaccinated in 1 month, and that is going to happen faster now that Biden is in.  So that brings us to what, 60% or so vaccinated by September?  I know these are very simple projections in my head but things are starting to move forward at a rate where I would feel comfortable betting on concerts (not Pearl Jam) being back in action by the Fall/ Early winter

I believe you are referring to Massachusetts delivering 360k doses to patients. Since 2 doses are required for the vaccines currently available, that would mean a rate of less than 3% of the state has been fully vaccinated.

Pfizer and Moderna have been steadily delivering about 4.3 million US  doses per week, so at 2 doses per person needed, that’s a rate of about 1.3% of the US population per week receiving a full vaccine. Johnson and Johnson could be a game changer since it’s a single dose, but it’s not expected to be available until April. AstraZenica vaccine is not expected to be available in the US anytime soon. 

Biden using the Defense Production Act is good news, but the logistics for ramping up the process is a gradual process.

The good news is we can have a significant portion of the 65 and over population vaccinated by the end of March, so fatalities should be significantly decreasing by then. But since the majority of the community will still be subject to potential infection and possibly  hospitalization, indoor concerts and sports in the “cautious” states could take until very late 2022 to happen.

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    tdawe said:
    Tampa and the NFL are allowing 22,000 for the super bowl in a few weeks

7,500 of them will be fully vaccinated Heath care workers 

If we can do this in February, why can’t we do similar things in October?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/22/us/super-bowl-fans-spt/index.html
    There are some places in this country, like Florida, where legally speaking you can basically do any fucking thing that you want to do vis a vis gatherings. In the near future it will be theoretically possible for bands and promoters to put on shows in those places, making judgments on their own about their comfort level regarding the vaccination levels of the population. Under no circumstances is Pearl Jam going to be one of those bands. 

In the non-psychotic parts of the country, the process is going to go like this:
    1. A lot of people get vaccinated.
    2. A lot more people get vaccinated.
    3. Case, hospitalization and death numbers start leveling off,
    4. A whole bunch more people get vaccinated.
    5. Numbers start going down.
    6. Another fuckload of people get vaccinated.
    7. Numbers finally reach satisfactory levels.
    8. It will once again be permissible to pack thousands of people in one place for a show.
    9. Pearl Jam and other bands book shows.

Playing shows before the vaccination effort has translated into acceptable community spread numbers is simply not going to be an option in most states. Will you be able to catch certain shows in Tampa or Dallas this summer? Perhaps. But PJ isn’t going on the road again until things have gotten to a level that’s acceptable in NYC and LA.
    I agree with everything you said, but I also think number 9 on your timeline is going to happen well before the end of 2021.

5% of the population here in Massachusetts has already been vaccinated, and the COVID numbers are already starting to plateau, as our governor who is very very strict with COVID announced that he is lifting the curfew and will likely be expanding business capacity limits in 2 weeks.  

So that's 5% of the state vaccinated in 1 month, and that is going to happen faster now that Biden is in.  So that brings us to what, 60% or so vaccinated by September?  I know these are very simple projections in my head but things are starting to move forward at a rate where I would feel comfortable betting on concerts (not Pearl Jam) being back in action by the Fall/ Early winter

I believe you are referring to Massachusetts delivering 360k doses to patients. Since 2 doses are required for the vaccines currently available, that would mean a rate of less than 3% of the state has been fully vaccinated.

Pfizer and Moderna have been steadily delivering about 4.3 million US  doses per week, so at 2 doses per person needed, that’s a rate of about 1.3% of the US population per week receiving a full vaccine. Johnson and Johnson could be a game changer since it’s a single dose, but it’s not expected to be available until April. AstraZenica vaccine is not expected to be available in the US anytime soon. 

Biden using the Defense Production Act is good news, but the logistics for ramping up the process is a gradual process.

The good news is we can have a significant portion of the 65 and over population vaccinated by the end of March, so fatalities should be significantly decreasing by then. But since the majority of the community will still be subject to potential infection and possibly  hospitalization, indoor concerts and sports in the “cautious” states could take until very late 2022 to happen.

The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are optimized with the 2nd booster injection.  I think the number is something like 65-70 % of those who are given either are good to go with the first dose, the booster just magnifies the performance efficacy.  A standrd flu shot doesn't even come close to 65-70%.   There was hope vaccines would be in the 50-60% effective range when the work first began given the nature of respiratory viruses.  

We have only seen phase 1 of the emergency rollout, there is a combined 240 million of these rolling out in the next 120 days.  The issue will be distribution, not a lack of quantity.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Apparently the Miami Heat are using COVID sniffing dogs to allow fans back.  What could go wrong?
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 875
    first show back will be ohana imo. Perfect timing, end of September. Everything is booked. Going to happen with proof of vaccination. Stamp it!

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    Apparently the Miami Heat are using COVID sniffing dogs to allow fans back.  What could go wrong?

Jimmy Fallon had a good point.

If loss of smell is one of the things that can happen from COVID, how do we know the dogs are as effective a few weeks later?
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5887782

General public will have to wait until August for COVID-19 vaccine

Most people in Ottawa will have to wait until at least August before they can expect to be inoculated against COVID-19, a timeline that depends almost solely on the supply of the vaccine.

Not looking good for any shows happening up here in 2021. :( 
  • Sunfest in Florida which takes place in may has been cancelled 
  • “I do know that J&J is making a very large supply, going all out with its production, both here in the U.S. and elsewhere around the world, with the goal of having perhaps enough vaccines for 100 million Americans by spring, by this April or so,” said J&J board member Dr. Mark McClellan.

Johnson and Johnson will be submitting their information early next week. They are already ramping up production so its probably going to be good news. This 100M will be on top of additional ones coming from Pfizer and Moderna. I think most adults who want a vaccine will be able to have it by May. 

I could definitely see something in the Fall in the US.
  • Sunfest in Florida which takes place in may has been cancelled 
    There goes the sun.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• Stagecoach and Coachella axed again.

Stagecoach and Coachella axed again.

Yep, and soon the whole 2021 Pearl Jam Euro Tour, as well as Ohana & Sea.Hear.Now Festivals will be postponed again.
    No big Pearl Jam shows will be happening in 2021.

• CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    Spring/summer of 2022 was always the safest bet
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,748
    Some sports teams *barely* have fans in the doors.

We're a long way from bands with fans who travel all over the world.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • What happens if you have 2020 tickets and dont rejoin the 10C?  
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    What happens if you have 2020 tickets and dont rejoin the 10C?  
    Nothing will happen. Those tickets are yours. 
  • PJNB said:
    What happens if you have 2020 tickets and dont rejoin the 10C?  
    Nothing will happen. Those tickets are yours. 
    Sadly, nothing will happen is right.  

• Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,617
    The Weeknd just announced a massive tour for Jan/Feb of 2022, should be a great show hopefully I can make the DC show

Hopefully we get some PJ dates for the same time!
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    The Weeknd just announced a massive tour for Jan/Feb of 2022, should be a great show hopefully I can make the DC show

Man I hear ya, but having a full 12 months between tour announcement and the actual shows might drive me insane. 
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 363
    tdawe said:

Man I hear ya, but having a full 12 months between tour announcement and the actual shows might drive me insane. 
    Well over 12 months for a majority of those shows!

...but it does makes sense to tie-in with his upcoming Super Bowl performance. And it was nice to see *any* sort of normal concert announcement.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
    PeterED said:
    tdawe said:

...but it does makes sense to tie-in with his upcoming Super Bowl performance. And it was nice to see *any* sort of normal concert announcement.
    No doubt, and I can’t wait to start filling up my 2022 show calendar. But Pearl Jam shows are different - for pretty much everyone else I buy tickets, throw an entry on the Google calendar and the ticket confirm in a Gmail folder, then more or less forget about it until like a week before the concert. With PJ I start counting days as soon as the tour is announced. 
  • tdawe said:
    PeterED said:
    tdawe said:

No doubt, and I can’t wait to start filling up my 2022 show calendar. But Pearl Jam shows are different - for pretty much everyone else I buy tickets, throw an entry on the Google calendar and the ticket confirm in a Gmail folder, then more or less forget about it until like a week before the concert. With PJ I start counting days as soon as the tour is announced. 
    Today being Feb. 4, it is now exactly 29 months since the last PJ show.  Damn.  

tdawe said:
    PeterED said:
    tdawe said:

Today being Feb. 4, it is now exactly 29 months since the last PJ show.  Damn.  
    Hopping over to catch two shows in Europe 2018 continues to be one of the best decisions I’ve made. 
  • “I do know that J&J is making a very large supply, going all out with its production, both here in the U.S. and elsewhere around the world, with the goal of having perhaps enough vaccines for 100 million Americans by spring, by this April or so,” said J&J board member Dr. Mark McClellan.

Johnson and Johnson will be submitting their information early next week. They are already ramping up production so its probably going to be good news. This 100M will be on top of additional ones coming from Pfizer and Moderna. I think most adults who want a vaccine will be able to have it by May. 

I could definitely see something in the Fall in the US.
    More virtue-signaling and blaming citizens trying to live somewhat normal lives instead of the decision-makers?