Whiskey Clique

Comments

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    This stuff is legit.  
    I’ve still got an unopened bottle of voyage 10, collecting dust. 

Don't Drink It.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Malroth said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    This stuff is legit.  
    I’ve still got an unopened bottle of voyage 10, collecting dust. 

Don't Drink It.
    Why?
    I like the Jefferson's Ocean a lot.  A cool story and idea, although obviously a bit gimmicky 
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    edited January 2021
    mcgruff10 said:
    This stuff is legit.  
    It is a good one. I had a bottle of voyage 9 and I have a sealed bottle of voyage 13 at home. 
    That bottle of cask strength must be nice. 
    Post edited by DavidD on
    Any one try these? The price was right so I picked them up. 

• DavidD said:

High West is good.  I am wanting to try their Midwinters Night Dram but I can't find it...
    DavidD said:

High West is good.  I am wanting to try their Midwinters Night Dram but I can't find it...
    Nice, Looking forward to trying this bourbon. 
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    DavidD said:

High West does make some good stuff.  I'm not a huge fan of Campfire, even though I love smokey whiskeys.  It's def not worth $69.  
    You can never go wrong with Rendezvous Rye.  That shit is always good!  American Prairie is a solid bottle.  
    I got a bottle of this years Midwinters.  I was at Total Wine randomly.  Midwinters and many others were on my radar.  Employee randomly walks by with a bottle.  I stop him and ask "Where did you get that?!"  Tells me to go up to the front and ask some dude.  They had a case in the back and it was allocated.  Score!  Right place at the right time!
    This year's is really good.

I remember when Midwinters came out, what, 4-5 years ago?  It wasn't cheap, but you could find it everywhere here in Arizona.  Tough to come by now.

• RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    I’m with mca, I thought the campfire was pretty terrible but their regular bourbon is good.. the midwinters is excellent if you can find it. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

mca47 said:
    DavidD said:

High West does make some good stuff.  I'm not a huge fan of Campfire, even though I love smokey whiskeys.  It's def not worth $69.  

These are in Canadian prices. Probably around $40 USD for the camp fire. 
    DavidD said:
    mca47 said:
    DavidD said:

Whatever it was, was too much.  haha
    mca47 said:
    DavidD said:
    mca47 said:
    DavidD said:

Whatever it was, was too much.  haha
    Not a fan of the Smokey whiskeys also. But I’ll give it a go. 
    I have hinted at it a few times here but the bourbon situation is dumb and people are fucking dorks. The collecting, hoarding and secondary market for something you drink is annoying as shit.  Got an email from the PA state store for weller, old fitz and other cousins of pappy. Of course it wasn’t an option within 10 minutes of getting the email.  Then weller 12 is $350 online. Get the fuck outta here.

I think I’ll stick to makers, Buffalo trace and drink nice scotch. Not contributing to that bullshit 
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    I have hinted at it a few times here but the bourbon situation is dumb and people are fucking dorks. The collecting, hoarding and secondary market for something you drink is annoying as shit.  Got an email from the PA state store for weller, old fitz and other cousins of pappy. Of course it wasn’t an option within 10 minutes of getting the email.  Then weller 12 is $350 online. Get the fuck outta here.

I think I’ll stick to makers, Buffalo trace and drink nice scotch. Not contributing to that bullshit 
    I agree. It's stupid for things to be so overpriced. There are plenty of bourbons that are delicious and don't break the bank.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

Agree 100%.  What scotch are you into?  I’ve got six bottles right now and looking to get more.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited January 2021
    mcgruff10 said:

Agree 100%.  What scotch are you into?  I’ve got six bottles right now and looking to get more.  
    Dalmore is a one of my favourites. Also the Balvenie 12-year-old but I’ve seen you’ve already tapped into one of those bottles. The Balvenie single barrel is a nice one as well

Post edited by DavidD on
    DavidD said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Dalmore is a one of my favourites. Also the Balvenie 12-year-old but I’ve seen you’ve already tapped into one of those bottles. The Balvenie single barrel is a nice one as well

I never had a highland before, I'm gonna have to look for it.  Bought a bottle of Laphoraig 10 yesterday.  They had Lagavulin 16 year for $71.99; I never had it before.  Worth a try?
    I was going to say...Laphoraig and Lagavulin are my two favorite, by a rather long shot

I agree. It's stupid for things to be so overpriced. There are plenty of bourbons that are delicious and don't break the bank.
    Definitely.  Also, I'd be much more inclined to spend $350 on Weller 12 if Buffalo Trace charged that rather than some asshole.
    I was going to say...Laphoraig and Lagavulin are my two favorite, by a rather long shot
    Lag 16? Any other islays you enjoy?
    mcgruff10 said:
    Lag 16? Any other islays you enjoy?
    Yeah, 16 is their pretty standard release.  Ardberg and Bowmore are other Islays that I had a decent amount, but not on the same level as Laphoraigh and Lagavulin

Others I like in general...second the comment on The Balvenie, but also Oban (big time), Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie (not sure about spelling there)
    mcgruff10 said:
    DavidD said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I never had a highland before, I'm gonna have to look for it.  Bought a bottle of Laphoraig 10 yesterday.  They had Lagavulin 16 year for $71.99; I never had it before.  Worth a try?
    Lag 16 is a must own if you like Islay Scotches.  
    Also keep an eye out for Ardbeg Uigeadail.  I love Ardbeg, the Uigeadail is probably my favo Ardbeg.  Sooo good!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mca47 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    DavidD said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Lag 16 is a must own if you like Islay Scotches.  
    Also keep an eye out for Ardbeg Uigeadail.  I love Ardbeg, the Uigeadail is probably my favo Ardbeg.  Sooo good!
    Another Ardbeg fan here. The Alligator was a great bottle. Should've made it last a little longer.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    mcgruff10 said:
    DavidD said:
    mcgruff10 said:

The Balvenie is a highland scotch. 
    I don’t mind a little bit of peat but not a fan of Smokey whiskey so I tend to stay away from the islay scotches. 
    I’m getting thirsty now. Thanks god it’s Friday.lol
    edited January 2021
    DavidD said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    DavidD said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I don’t mind a little bit of peat but not a fan of Smokey whiskey so I tend to stay away from the islay scotches. 
    I thought Balvenie was a speyside? The ardbeg 10 and bowmore (which is pretty damn expensive!) is on my short list.  I'd love to try the Lag 16 before shelling out $75...anybody want to send me a sample?
    Ciffy, Oban is the real deal?  I never had it.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    mcgruff10 said:
    DavidD said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    DavidD said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I thought Balvenie was a speyside? The ardbeg 10 and bowmore (which is pretty damn expensive!) is on my short list.  I'd love to try the Lag 16 before shelling out $75...anybody want to send me a sample?
    It's owned Diageo which blows, but I dig it.  It's what I drank at my wedding so maybe a bit biased.  Definitely enjoy it though.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926

Especially since Weller 12 is a $50 bottle. $350 secondary...gtfoh 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

mcgruff10 said:
    DavidD said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    DavidD said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Oban makes some quality stuff.  Def check out the Oban 14.  
    Happy Friday gents!