Whiskey Clique

Comments

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Did you try any or all? Have a favorite? 
    Yup tried them all.
    Top 3:
    W.L.Weller
    Pappy 15
    E.R. 17
    Everything else was good. Did like the Sazerac 18 even though I'm not much of a rye fan.
    Most disappointing/underwhelming was the Pappy 23. Not a whole lot of flavor and came across kind of "woody".
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242
    bbiggs said:
    Yup tried them all.
    Top 3:
    W.L.Weller
    Pappy 15
    E.R. 17
    Everything else was good. Did like the Sazerac 18 even though I'm not much of a rye fan.
    Most disappointing/underwhelming was the Pappy 23. Not a whole lot of flavor and came across kind of "woody".
    Pappy 15 is my favorite of the Pappies.  Like you said, the 23 is good but it does seem over-oaked.
    The only BTAC I've had is the WL Weller and it is incredible.
    My Total Wine Spring "special release"/lottery came through last week.  Won a EH Taylor Full Proof.
    Wasn't my first choice, but I'm happy with it.
    Compared it to the Small Batch, and I find it to be only slightly better.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    bbiggs said:
    Yup tried them all.
    Top 3:
    W.L.Weller
    Pappy 15
    E.R. 17
    Very cool. Awesome lineup to try. I’ve had the rip van Winkle 10 and 12. Both good. Pappy 15 was excellent. I agree on the 23 being too oaky and I’ve never had the 20 unfortunately.  

I’ve only had GTS and Handy for the BTAC lineup and both were awesome. The others have eluded me so far. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732
    bbiggs said:
    Yup tried them all.
    Top 3:
    W.L.Weller
    Pappy 15
    E.R. 17
    The Weller is hands down my favorite and am still looking for a retail buy if that is at all ever possible... I was very fortunate to try it at my local.

Have had the Pappy 23 7 years ago and loved that.

Still have not tried the ER17.  That is another unicorn that has escaped me.

Had Pappy 12 and enjoyed it, not as much as the 23 though.

I still have bottles of the Handy and Stagg AC waiting to be tried.  I don't have many people that enjoy such things so they don't get to see a proper introduction...

The Pappy 15 is better than the ER17?  Did you have to add any water to them or did you taste them hot?
    bbiggs said:
    Yup tried them all.
    Top 3:
    W.L.Weller
    Pappy 15
    E.R. 17
    The Weller is hands down my favorite and am still looking for a retail buy if that is at all ever possible... I was very fortunate to try it at my local.

Have had the Pappy 23 7 years ago and loved that.

Still have not tried the ER17.  That is another unicorn that has escaped me.

Had Pappy 12 and enjoyed it, not as much as the 23 though.

I still have bottles of the Handy and Stagg AC waiting to be tried.  I don't have many people that enjoy such things so they don't get to see a proper introduction...

The Pappy 15 is better than the ER17?  Did you have to add any water to them or did you taste them hot?
    I go in hot

Its how I roll
    Nabbed a single barrel, cask strength, 19 year old Laphroaig.  Cannot wait to try it!!

Got to try this today
  • exploderballexploderball Posts: 150
    bbiggs said:
    Yup tried them all.
    Top 3:
    W.L.Weller
    Pappy 15
    E.R. 17
    Wow, that's a badass lineup! I would love to try WLW. I've always heard that it's consistently amazing. I've been lucky to score a couple bottles of GTS but never had an opportunity to buy WLW. Also never tried Pappy 23, but it seems the consensus is that it's generally over-oaked. Would still like to try it someday. I'm jealous.

Got to try this today
    Can never go wrong with Lag!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    edited May 2021
    My third bottle of bourbon and I think it is my favorite.   Sipped it neat last night, knocked me right on my ass.  Lol

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    mcgruff10 said:
    My third bottle of bourbon and I think it is my favorite.   Sipped it neat last night, knocked me right on my ass.  Lol

Yeah it's decent...I probably prefer that over Maker's.  But still Buffalo Trace for the win.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Buffalo was too sweet for me, I tasted a lot of cinnamon for some reason.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    You must have accidentally grabbed that PJ BSB bottle?
    Got a Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye yesterday.  Heard good things and looking forward to trying it.
    bbiggs said:
    Got a Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye yesterday.  Heard good things and looking forward to trying it.
    Yeah it's a good one to have on hand for the price.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    bbiggs said:
    Yeah it's a good one to have on hand for the price.
    Good to hear.  Relatively low proof at 112.2 being that it's barrel proof.  No complaints here though.

I grabbed a bottle of Evan Williams bottled in bond because I kept seeing people mention it on tiktok....it's legit.  And cheap.

mcgruff10 said:
    You must have accidentally grabbed that PJ BSB bottle?
    That stuff is gross!
    I grabbed a bottle of Evan Williams bottled in bond because I kept seeing people mention it on tiktok....it's legit.  And cheap.
    Nice.  I'll make a good BIB recommendation.  McKenna 10.  10 year age statement.  BIB.  Inexpensive for what you're getting and a damn good bourbon.

bbiggs said:
    Nice.  I'll make a good BIB recommendation.  McKenna 10.  10 year age statement.  BIB.  Inexpensive for what you're getting and a damn good bourbon.

But depending on where you are it's borderline allocated.
    bbiggs said:

True.  My shop doesn't even put it on the shelves.  Us "regulars" get first dibs.  Crazy that a $35 bottle of bourbon that used to collect dust on shelves is that hard to find lately. 

And then there's this...

^ I'm not sure if that has landed at my store yet, but I'd sure as hell like one if it hasn't.
    And then there's this...

Oh yummy.

Where oh where art though?
    And then there's this...

I've decided I want this.

Any leads let me know.  I will try my local spots today.

Also if you try this please post on here!
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

True.  My shop doesn't even put it on the shelves.  Us "regulars" get first dibs.  Crazy that a $35 bottle of bourbon that used to collect dust on shelves is that hard to find lately. 

I'm new to this....so a store will set bourbon aside for regulars to check out first?  This is solid intel

bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

I'm new to this....so a store will set bourbon aside for regulars to check out first?  This is solid intel
    More or less. The allocated stuff never sees the shelves at the store I go to. They keep it in back and sell it to the regulars and/or bourbon drinkers they know from frequenting the store.  You just have to be on top of delivery dates because it doesn’t last long. 
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Preferred customer.  You don't give the good stuff to the new guy!
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

More or less. The allocated stuff never sees the shelves at the store I go to. They keep it in back and sell it to the regulars and/or bourbon drinkers they know from frequenting the store.  You just have to be on top of delivery dates because it doesn’t last long. 
    Interesting....I need to ask more I guess.  I have signed up for emails but those are generally promos and not anything good related to bourbon.