The Food Thread

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    GlowGirl said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Girlls ready! Steaks up. 
    Steaks look great. How did they turn out?
    I cooked them maybe two minutes too long but otherwise the taste was on point.  Salted them last night and Added some evoo right before grilling.  Wife and kids loved them. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Anybody else get some nice new kitchen stuff for Christmas from the family?  I got a nice big non-stick (but not Teflon) roasting pan with a rack and a sous vide immersion cooker, and as mentioned earlier, the family skillet.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    My wife gave me a few new pans, which was nice.  
    Think I may buy a wok....any here have a proper one?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I do, but I only use it when camping.  It works great over a campfire, the long handle and the flipflipability are perfect for fry-ups.
     They really don't work that well on a typical stove, the flame isn't big enough and it's really supposed to cradle the bottom.  If your gas stove is hardcore it might groove well.  
    I was listening to a famous asian chef on Milk Street Radio and he doesn't use a wok at home for those reasons, he just uses a large frying pan with higher sides.

It's rusted out right now, I need to get it back in shape for this year.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    rgambs said:
    I do, but I only use it when camping.  It works great over a campfire, the long handle and the flipflipability are perfect for fry-ups.
     They really don't work that well on a typical stove, the flame isn't big enough and it's really supposed to cradle the bottom.  If your gas stove is hardcore it might groove well.  
    I was listening to a famous asian chef on Milk Street Radio and he doesn't use a wok at home for those reasons, he just uses a large frying pan with higher sides.

Yeah the way it fits the stove (or, doesn't fit) has been a concern.  One of the pans I received for Christmas does have high sides and I am going to see how it works as a wok sub.

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Cooking in a wok requires extremely hot temperature. If you have a gas stove, there are attachments (called "wok rings" I think) that collect the flame and force the heat upward. The wok nestles on the ring.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    rgambs said:

Yeah the way it fits the stove (or, doesn't fit) has been a concern.  One of the pans I received for Christmas does have high sides and I am going to see how it works as a wok sub.

You can get a wok ring or cradle for a gas stove. I don't have one, so can't say if they are any good. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    GlowGirl said:

Pot roast is done. Just need to pull the meat out and slice it up. Leftovers for weeks. 
    Looks awesome nothing beats good pot roast this time of year enjoy! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    mcgruff10 said:
    Jose any secret homeland recipes on cooking the Chilean sea bass?
    I m drooling over that octopus 
    Hey we just baked it in oven with potatoes & chorizo & cheese toppings the recep us from my favorite Chilean cook book, the octopus we boiled to make nice and tender and then grilled it to perfection! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Wok rings - thanks guys!
  • lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,927
    I really need to stop ordering this shit for every Friday. 
    Sushi rolls tomorrow with the rest.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689

Tonight is take out. I know this doesn’t look like much but it is a carnitas huarache. Pulled pork on a corn tortilla with cojito cheese, salsa, lettuce, sour cream and guacamole. Plus those two sauces are amazing. I don’t get it that often since it is really decadent but we all deserve a treat this week. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I really need to stop ordering this shit for every Friday. 
    Sushi rolls tomorrow with the rest.
    Dude, customer of the year!
    GlowGirl said:

Tonight is take out. I know this doesn’t look like much but it is a carnitas huarache. Pulled pork on a corn tortilla with cojito cheese, salsa, lettuce, sour cream and guacamole. Plus those two sauces are amazing. I don’t get it that often since it is really decadent but we all deserve a treat this week. 
    Nah, that looks amazing 
    Yeah those both look great!
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    GlowGirl said:

Looks yummy!

Looks like someone is eating healthy tonight. Looks delicious. Enjoy!!
    GlowGirl said:

Yeah I made tacos for the family and had some of that as well but I ate a shitload of golden beets & sprouts.  Two things that are so frigging good.
    Couldn't get the six year old to eat the beets, I think he would have loved them.
    Don't hate the plating haha. Came out damn good.
    Fuck, yes!
    GlowGirl said:

Your plate must have been very colorful. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Just wow! Dude, we’re grabbing sushi when the Nashville show eventually happens. Book it! 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Covid anniversary dinner. First time in 12 years we haven’t gone out to eat. F Covid. Can’t wait for next year. 

bbiggs said:
    Just wow! Dude, we’re grabbing sushi when the Nashville show eventually happens. Book it! 
    Hell yeah bro. Looking forward to the party when it happens!
    bbiggs said:
    Covid anniversary dinner. First time in 12 years we haven’t gone out to eat. F Covid. Can’t wait for next year. 

Looks damn good though. Sucks you couldn't go out, but looks like you guys made the best of it.
    We are thinking about celebrating our vaccination with a nice little sit down at our favorite Mexican restaurant...
    Probably still not the most responsible thing to do, but...
    rgambs said:
    We are thinking about celebrating our vaccination with a nice little sit down at our favorite Mexican restaurant...
    Don't you have to wait a while to be clear?

If you have the vaccine I don't see a problem with this.  Still follow the rules, which I am sure you will, and enjoy it.
    rgambs said:
    Don't you have to wait a while to be clear?

If you have the vaccine I don't see a problem with this.  Still follow the rules, which I am sure you will, and enjoy it.
    Yeah, we get second dose on the Feb 8th, so we're thinking early March.  I'm about half tempted to get my gym membership back lol
    Breakfast of champions. Federal donuts for any Philly people