Whiskey Clique

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Ok I m gonna buy my first bottle of bourbon tomorrow, Would you guys go makers or Buffalo?  I know nothing about bourbon.  I like my scotch neat.   :)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    mcgruff10 said:
    Ok I m gonna buy my first bottle of bourbon tomorrow, Would you guys go makers or Buffalo?  I know nothing about bourbon.  I like my scotch neat.   :)
    I would go Buffalo but Makers is good too.  I prefer Makers 46

Bulleit, Knob, Makers....all good
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mcgruff10 said:
    I would go Buffalo but Makers is good too.  I prefer Makers 46

Bulleit, Knob, Makers....all good
    Basil Hayden’s is a nice mellow one to ease into the thing. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    mcgruff10 said:
    I would go Buffalo Trace as well. I would actually go with the Eagle Rare 10 that tempo suggested, but that's just me. Eagle Rare is the same recipe as Buffalo Trace, it's just aged longer.
    Went with everyone s advice and also got a airplane bottle of makers just to give it a try.  
    Hope you enjoy!
    $39.99 for Buffalo, decent price?
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Good choice for your first bottle. It should be closer to $25-30, but it gets marked up in places where it's hard to find. Don't sweat it, but if it becomes a regular on your shelf, I'd look for a lower price. If you like BT, then your next bottle could be Eagle Rare -- same juice but ~2 years older. A little harder to find, should cost $30-45.

If you drink your scotch neat, then I would try the same with bourbon. Damn tasty. Enjoy!
    mcgruff10 said:
    Good choice for your first bottle. It should be closer to $25-30, but it gets marked up in places where it's hard to find. Don't sweat it, but if it becomes a regular on your shelf, I'd look for a lower price. If you like BT, then your next bottle could be Eagle Rare -- same juice but ~2 years older. A little harder to find, should cost $30-45.

If you drink your scotch neat, then I would try the same with bourbon. Damn tasty. Enjoy!
    Good to know, thank you.  I ll definitely shop around next time.   So this will be sweeter than scotch?
  • mcgruff10 said:
    Good to know, thank you.  I ll definitely shop around next time.   So this will be sweeter than scotch?
    I haven't tried much scotch, but bourbon should be sweeter. By law, bourbon has to be >50% corn, which results in a sweeter distillate. And it has to be aged in new charred barrels, which releases natural wood sugars into the liquid. So good. 
    Makers up , and after a sip I must admit I am a big fan.   Loving that sloooow burn.  Definitely different than scotch, maybe softer on the nose but man that burn is where it’s at.  90 proof, holy shit.  I might like this more than scotch.   
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^Mcgruff, glad to see you're diving into the bourbon world.  Like others have said, Makers and Buffalo Trace are both great options.  Makers is a "wheater," meaning it is made with wheat, which is not as common.  It has a sweeter flavor.  I personally love wheated bourbons, but not all do.  Some above have said no to mixing these, which I get, but I wouldn't have a problem making a cocktail with either of those.  Neat or mixed, you can't go wrong.  Enjoy!
    Christmas present from my boss. I guess my work was acceptable this year :lol:

mcgruff10 said:
    Makers up , and after a sip I must admit I am a big fan.   Loving that sloooow burn.  Definitely different than scotch, maybe softer on the nose but man that burn is where it’s at.  90 proof, holy shit.  I might like this more than scotch.   
    at some point in your journey try this one...kind of reminds me of scotch due to the smokiness

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Christmas present from my boss. I guess my work was acceptable this year :lol:

Nice!

edited December 2020
    This is really really good scotch.  Wow.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Buddy of mine just texted this to me....

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

Fucking a dude. You live around the corner. Let’s hang out with said buddy.

also that looks like a fucking sweet New Years.

happy New Years to you and the fam.
    Happy New Years to you and the cliff co. as well.He's in Mass, I told him to hold onto at least one when I'm heading up to New Hampshire in February.

Gonna be weird tomorrow...
    Happy New Years to you and the cliff co. as well.He's in Mass, I told him to hold onto at least one when I'm heading up to New Hampshire in February.

Thank you good sir. Yeah man. Sucks big time, especially considering I don’t want to be part of any “protest”. If the rain breaks we may have beers in front yard but that’s it 

Thank you good sir. Yeah man. Sucks big time, especially considering I don’t want to be part of any “protest”. If the rain breaks we may have beers in front yard but that’s it 
    Word, same, might move the outdoor heater out front to shoot the shit but that's about it. The idea of not starting a party at 10am on January 1st is an empty feeling. Mummers are kinda waning on me as it is, I don't need to be around the least common denominators that might somehow show up wearing blackface with a MAGA hat while not wearing masks to own Kenney.

Here's to 2021, we can (hopefully) only go up.

Word, same, might move the outdoor heater out front to shoot the shit but that's about it. The idea of not starting a party at 10am on January 1st is an empty feeling. Mummers are kinda waning on me as it is, I don't need to be around the least common denominators that might somehow show up wearing blackface with a MAGA hat while not wearing masks to own Kenney.

Here's to 2021, we can (hopefully) only go up.
    I have mixed feelings on the mummers but super weird feeling not being at my sister in laws getting drunk while also throwing a party in like 12 hours. 
    I definitely try to separate the politics from the mummers. Did the vast majority of them vote trump? Sure, but so do baseball players. It’s only the comics that bring a truly bad name and they should be gone but Since they’re on so early when nothing else is on, that’s what gets seen.

Anyways on to whiskey...give me a couple hours and I’ll be diving in headfirst 
    Cheers!

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    dankind said:
    Cheers!

Love the Lore!
    Is the lore very peaty?
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is the lore very peaty?
    It is.  It's got that familiar Laphroaig "seaside briny" peat.
    Guys I tried this again last night and my god I love it!!!! Soooo good and complex   I m looking forward to my next islay scotch   
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436

Very nice!  
    I’m getting married in OCT. would love a nice bottle to celebrate with. Hopefully I can find one if not a nice bottle of scotch will do. 
    This stuff is legit.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    This stuff is legit.  
    I’ve still got an unopened bottle of voyage 10, collecting dust. 

I SAW PEARL JAM