Whiskey Clique

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Johnny double black.  Delish!

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Just a warning for you Pappy heads out there....the allocations seem to be almost half or less of what they were last year. Not sure why or if it even effects every state but definitely a lot less.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Just a warning for you Pappy heads out there....the allocations seem to be almost half or less of what they were last year. Not sure why or if it even effects every state but definitely a lot less.
    ...prices going up...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I've never had it but something tells me it isn't worth it....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    From an article I just read:

Buffalo Trace on Tuesday announced that this year’s release of the Van Winkle line will have far fewer bottles of the 20-year-old and the 23-year-old bourbons due to evaporation during the long aging cycle.

The good news? There will be about the same amount of 10, 12 and 15-year bourbons, and there should be more 13-year rye than in previous years, according to the announcement.

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    It is at retail pricing. Secondary...nope 
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    mcgruff10 said:
    From an article I just read:

Buffalo Trace on Tuesday announced that this year’s release of the Van Winkle line will have far fewer bottles of the 20-year-old and the 23-year-old bourbons due to evaporation during the long aging cycle.

The good news? There will be about the same amount of 10, 12 and 15-year bourbons, and there should be more 13-year rye than in previous years, according to the announcement.

Sounds like the angels got more than their fair share.
  • I have been wanting the Rye.  I've done the 23 and 12 already.
    For you Scotch aficionados...

It is delicious, but not worth secondary prices.

Got a Weller 12 and 1792 12 Year yesterday.  Very familiar with Weller 12, but first time with the 1792 12 Year.  Had the choice of it, full proof or sweet wheat (I hear the sweet wheat is tasty).  Looking forward to a pour sometime soon.
    This is the oddest most complex disgusting delightful drink I have ever had.  

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    mcgruff10 said:

Did it taste like smoke?

GlowGirl said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Did it taste like smoke?

Yes! Campfire, smoke, medicine, seaweed, bandaids.....it was very odd.  
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Fucking love that stuff
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    edited December 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Did it taste like smoke?

Yes! Campfire, smoke, medicine, seaweed, bandaids.....it was very odd.  
    Try a bottle of Bowmore.. it’s a good Islay without the medicinal bandaid taste. Or if you want to spend a little more Lagavulin 16 is delicious. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

I can’t decide if I like it or not lol.  I ll check out bowmore.   
    mcgruff10 said:

Haha not exactly a ringing endorsement 
    Landed a bottle of Van Winkle 13 year rye last week. Haven’t cracked it yet but will be very soon. Excited to give it a spin 
    mcgruff10 said:

Love Laphroaig and am a big fan of Islay Scotches.
    First time I had Laphroaig, it reminded me of sitting on a cold beach in the winter sipping on Scotch, smoking a cigar while under a blanket.  There is a campfire going.  Can smell the ocean, can smell the campfire, then someone decides to throw a tire and some fruit into the fire.
    Haha
    So this showed up today very unexpectedly... 

• exploderballexploderball Posts: 150
    edited December 2020
    Wow, nice! Leather bag? SFTB is probably my top ISO unicorn at this point. Scored a Rip 10 at retail over the weekend, so I certainly can't complain. Maybe the best label in bourbon. And fucking delicious.

Post edited by exploderball on
    Wow, nice! Leather bag? SFTB is probably my top ISO unicorn at this point. Scored a Rip 10 at retail over the weekend, so I certainly can't complain. Maybe the best label in bourbon. And fucking delicious.

nice...I've heard that Buffalo Trace is about guaranteed to contain some Rip rejects.  Maybe some Pappy too?

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • exploderballexploderball Posts: 150
    edited December 2020
    Gern Blansten said:
    nice...I've heard that Buffalo Trace is about guaranteed to contain some Rip rejects.  Maybe some Pappy too?
    They could put a "Van Winkle Reject" label on that stuff and people would line up around the block for it. I assume they'd dump those into their Weller line since they're all wheated bourbons, but who knows? Either way, some BT batches are incredible. Always 8+ years old and as good as it gets for a $25 bottle...
    Post edited by exploderball on

Is Buffalo trace a good bourbon to start out with?
    mcgruff10 said:

Yes
    mcgruff10 said:

yes...solid

and not very expensive

mcgruff10 said:

yes...solid

and not very expensive
    Good to know.  Can you drink this neat or is it a mixer?
  • mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

yes...solid

and not very expensive
    Good to know.  Can you drink this neat or is it a mixer?
    Neat.  Drop of water if that suits you.  Mixing this with anything is a sin IMO.

Eagle Rare is another inexpensive one that is delicious.
    I'm not a purist....I drink it on the rocks.  I'll taste it neat but I like rocks.