Whiskey Clique

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576

Bro...weren’t we just together and now you do this? Come by. On the porch with a bowl and a cigar.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757

Bro...weren’t we just together and now you do this? Come by. On the porch with a bowl and a cigar.

• Found this at a local shop today. I hardly ever buy JD products, but I've heard such good things about this release that I couldn't pass it up. Anybody else tried it? 
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242
    Found this at a local shop today. I hardly ever buy JD products, but I've heard such good things about this release that I couldn't pass it up. Anybody else tried it? 
    Nope.  It's become really, really hard to find.  Wish I could get my hands on one, but the secondary has gone crazy with it.
    Did you pay retail?
    How is it?  I've heard nothing but good about it.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    Found this at a local shop today. I hardly ever buy JD products, but I've heard such good things about this release that I couldn't pass it up. Anybody else tried it? 
    I tried it a few years ago when I did a distillery tour. I don't drink a lot of rye, although I do like bourbons with a higher rye % on the mash bill. I thought it was really good. Smoother than I expected and really good flavor.
  • mca47 said:
    Nope.  It's become really, really hard to find.  Wish I could get my hands on one, but the secondary has gone crazy with it.
    Did you pay retail?
    I got lucky. Paid $69, so basically retail. You know things are out of hand when the secondary frenzy hits JD products. Feels like a special occasion bottle now. Gonna crack it open for my birthday in a couple weeks. I'll report back.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732
    mca47 said:
    Did you pay retail?
    I got lucky. Paid $69, so basically retail. You know things are out of hand when the secondary frenzy hits JD products. Feels like a special occasion bottle now. Gonna crack it open for my birthday in a couple weeks. I'll report back.
    I’m shocked they let it out the door for retail!
  • mca47 said:
    Did you pay retail?
    Yeah, this Mom & Pop is run by some good folks. The kind of place where you want to spend your money. I was really surprised to see this bottle sitting on the shelf in late March. Right place, right time.
    mca47 said:
    Did you pay retail?
    Yeah, this Mom & Pop is run by some good folks. The kind of place where you want to spend your money. I was really surprised to see this bottle sitting on the shelf in late March. Right place, right time.
    I wish I had some cool mom and pops around me!  Everything here is big box stores that don't get anything cool, and the small stores know the secondary market prices and gladly participate.  
    mca47 said:
    mca47 said:
    Did you pay retail?
    I wish I had some cool mom and pops around me!  Everything here is big box stores that don't get anything cool, and the small stores know the secondary market prices and gladly participate.  
    Same here.  My local spots all do the same so it's pointless now.  I buy the undervalued bottles now that have zero flipability but 100% enjoyability.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    Grabbed an Elijah Craig 18 year today. Probably a bit over priced, even at retail which is what I paid, but I’ve never had a bottle so figured what the hell. I’ve had it before, but being a single barrel it can vary from each release. Hope this one is good. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    bbiggs said:
    Grabbed an Elijah Craig 18 year today. Probably a bit over priced, even at retail which is what I paid, but I’ve never had a bottle so figured what the hell. I’ve had it before, but being a single barrel it can vary from each release. Hope this one is good. 
    Is that a $100 bottle?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Is that a $100 bottle?
    $150. More than I like to spend 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    My job sucks. I got to sample this today....

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    I kept seeing people on tiktok say how great Evan Williams bottled in bond is so I grabbed a bottle.

It's legit.  And cheap
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I kept seeing people on tiktok say how great Evan Williams bottled in bond is so I grabbed a bottle.

It's legit.  And cheap
    Another cheapo that is actually really good...
    Early Times Bottled in Bond.
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,482
    Somebody wanna give me an excellent old fashioned recipe?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    edited April 2021
    This is a pretty standard recipe. I would say there isn't a whole lot of variation on the recipe, but I say that because all the OFs I've drank had the same basic flavor profile.

1 sugar cube (can substitute 2 teaspoons of simple syrup)
    1 to 1.5 teaspoons water (If you are good with drinking bourbon straight, use 1 tsp. For newbies to bourbon I'd use 1.5 tsp)
    2 dashes of orange bitters

Mix sugar/syrup, water, and bitters in your whiskey glass. Add ice to the mixture. I usually fill the glass up, but this is really personal preference. Add 2-3 shots of bourbon to the mixture. Stir to blend. Optionally garnish with orange peel and/or maraschino cherry.

The quality of whiskey is up to you. I would experiment with different bourbons to find what you like. If you want to switch it up, try a different liquor. I've heard of people using rye, blended whiskeys, and even brandy/cognac. I prefer bourbon, but like the rye version as well. I don't much care for the brandy/cognac version. 
    Post edited by markymark550 on
    This is a pretty standard recipe. I would say there isn't a whole lot of variation on the recipe, but I say that because all the OFs I've drank had the same basic flavor profile.

1 sugar cube (can substitute 2 teaspoons of simple syrup)
    1 to 1.5 teaspoons water (If you are good with drinking bourbon straight, use 1 tsp. For newbies to bourbon I'd use 1.5 tsp)
    2 dashes of orange bitters

Mix sugar/syrup, water, and bitters in your whiskey glass. Add ice to the mixture. I usually fill the glass up, but this is really personal preference. Add 2-3 shots of bourbon to the mixture. Stir to blend. Optionally garnish with orange peel and/or maraschino cherry.

The quality of whiskey is up to you. I would experiment with different bourbons to find what you like. If you want to switch it up, try a different liquor. I've heard of people using rye, blended whiskeys, and even brandy/cognac. I prefer bourbon, but like the rye version as well. I don't much care for the brandy/cognac version. 

Thanks.
    Malroth said:
    This how we do it at my work....

Take a bottle of Mt Gay Extra Old rum.  Fill a glass w rum and ginger ale, 2 hakes of that angostura bitters and yummy.
    Malroth said:
    Here's my go-to:
    Sugar cube in an old fashioned glass.
    Add 3-4 dashes of bitters (I use regular Angostura)
    Muddle the sugar cube and bitters until mostly dissolved. 
    Add an ice ball (you can find molds on Amazon that work great.  The ice ball IMO is key as it melts slowly and the drink evolves over time.  Many recipes call for a splash of water, but I prefer the water that comes off the ball...and I like my drinks strong).
    Add 2 oz of your favorite bourbon or rye.  (I generally prefer bourbon, but will use rye from time to time).
    Mix it up using a bartender's spoon (I spend about a minute mixing.  It allows the whisky to cool and it starts the melting process which will also help dissolve any remaining sugar bits).
    Peel some orange peel.  Squirt the oils out of the peel over the drink then rub the edge of the glass with the peel.  Put the peel in the drink.
    I sometimes add cherries (Luxardo), and sometimes don't.  I do think the cherries add some good flavor, even if you don't want to eat them.  

Drink up.
    thank you all for the recipes.
    I have a Bardstown Discovery #4 arriving today.  Can't wait to try it!  I missed out on #3, which I heard was incredible.
  • BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989
    mca47 said:
    I have a Bardstown Discovery #4 arriving today.  Can't wait to try it!  I missed out on #3, which I heard was incredible.
    Their Laubade was phenomenal.  Bummed I only ended up with one bottle, which is gone.
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    Obviously not whiskey but I picked up this bottle of vodka yesterday, it was very very smooth.  Same people make Buffalo trace.  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    It may have been discussed previously, but are any of you members of the Scotch Malt Whiskey Society?  I joined a month or so ago after getting a $50 discount code.  Been thinking of joining for years, but never pulled the trigger.
    Anyways, I've gotten three bottles from them and each one is absolutely amazing!
    If you like Scotch, and if you especially like single barrel, cask strength Scotch, you should check them out.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    Obviously not whiskey but I picked up this bottle of vodka yesterday, it was very very smooth.  Same people make Buffalo trace.  

Special event tonight.....

^ Did you try any or all? Have a favorite?