Whiskey Clique

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242
    bbiggs said:
    144 is potent. I grabbed a Stagg Jr. today coming in at 131. Looking forward to giving it a spin. 
    Love the Stagg Jr.  Hope you got it at retail and didn't spend a bunch.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    mca47 said:
    bbiggs said:
    144 is potent. I grabbed a Stagg Jr. today coming in at 131. Looking forward to giving it a spin. 
    Yeah, retail only bud.  I refuse to pay secondary for anything.  The last couple batches have been really good to the point that it holds its own with big brother (GTS) at a much lower price.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    bbiggs said:
    mca47 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Yeah, retail only bud.  I refuse to pay secondary for anything.  The last couple batches have been really good to the point that it holds its own with big brother (GTS) at a much lower price.

Now will you mix that or drink it neat?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mca47 said:
    bbiggs said:

Now will you mix that or drink it neat?
    Definitely neat with this one.  Too good of a bourbon to mix in my opinion.  Been making some mean old fashioned's with Bulleitt lately.  Perfect mixer. 

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    mcgruff10 said:
    144 proof?!?!  Jeeezus.  How was it?
    Warm and tasty
    Not hot
    It was fun to try not going to get my own bottle
  • Damn, 144 proof is impressive. Hazmat territory. It's amazing how much proof some barrels gain over time. Strongest thing in my cabinet right now is an Old Forester store pick at 134.1 proof.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732
    I may have mentioned this before but for your higher proofs do you add water?  I bought "limestone water" to add a few drops in my bourbon if it seems too hot.  It might be snake oil but I use it and enjoy it.

I may have mentioned this before but for your higher proofs do you add water?  I bought "limestone water" to add a few drops in my bourbon if it seems too hot.  It might be snake oil but I use it and enjoy it.

When I first get a new bottle I haven't had before, and esp if it's high proof, I'll take a few sips neat.  I then have a water dropper where I'll add a drop or two, take a couple of sips and repeat.  I like to explore the layers and what the water does.  More often than not, the whisky is best as is.  From time to time I do find some that benefit from a couple drops.

I do think the limestone water is a bit of a gimmick.  I had a buddy give me some and I did a side by side with regular water.  I couldn't tell the difference, but maybe that's just me.
  • I may have mentioned this before but for your higher proofs do you add water?  I bought "limestone water" to add a few drops in my bourbon if it seems too hot.  It might be snake oil but I use it and enjoy it.
    I've wanted to try limestone water, but I've only experimented with tap water. They say a couple drops can help release aromatic compounds, and some people pick up different flavors. Sometimes I can notice a change or improvement, but sometimes not. Eventually I decided that I prefer the rich flavors of uncut bourbon, so I don't bother adding water anymore. It's all about finding what you enjoy.
    mca47 said:

When I first get a new bottle I haven't had before, and esp if it's high proof, I'll take a few sips neat.  I then have a water dropper where I'll add a drop or two, take a couple of sips and repeat.  I like to explore the layers and what the water does.  More often than not, the whisky is best as is.  From time to time I do find some that benefit from a couple drops.

I do think the limestone water is a bit of a gimmick.  I had a buddy give me some and I did a side by side with regular water.  I couldn't tell the difference, but maybe that's just me.
    I've wanted to try limestone water, but I've only experimented with tap water. They say a couple drops can help release aromatic compounds, and some people pick up different flavors. Sometimes I can notice a change or improvement, but sometimes not. Eventually I decided that I prefer the rich flavors of uncut bourbon, so I don't bother adding water anymore. It's all about finding what you enjoy.
    I tried the limestone water in a pour of BTAC William Larue Weller and it made absolute difference in flavor.  I loved it.  Now of course it was an A+ pour.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    It's been a hell of a couple days. Kicking back now with some of the Glenlivet Caribbean. 
    Extraordinarily underwhelming....

Blantons gold underwhelming?  I have read it is a wee bit better than regular Blantons and I enjoy Blantons.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931

I keep hearing that....I understand wanting to collect those bottles though for the cork
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Blantons gold underwhelming?  I have read it is a wee bit better than regular Blantons and I enjoy Blantons.
    Japanese Blantons only 80 proof.
    It tasted okay but no zing to it.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    I always loved Blantons. Was my favorite whiskey when I first started drinking the stuff and you could just walk into the store and get it. I repeat, the bourbon business is stupid 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    I always loved Blantons. Was my favorite whiskey when I first started drinking the stuff and you could just walk into the store and get it. I repeat, the bourbon business is stupid 
    it really is....I like to look for rare bottles but I'm good with Buffalo Trace, Russell's, Wild Turkey, etc.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Lap 10.  Cheers!
    mcgruff10 said:
    Lap 10.  Cheers!
    I see those fire pits and want to fry a damn turkey...
  • Extraordinarily underwhelming....

Japanese Blantons only 80 proof.
    It tasted okay but no zing to it.
    It's been a while since I've tried an 80 proof bourbon; I've found them all underwhelming. Isn't it crazy that the 144 proofer you posted recently is almost twice as strong? Wow. Taste those side-by-side and the 80 proofer would probably taste more like water than bourbon.
    These just came in. Know nothing about them other than they are Sazwrac brands....

And then there's this.....

Holy shit, that's a thousand dollar bottle of Scotch.  What did you think of it and please send me a sample when you can.  Shipping on me. Thank you.
    mcgruff10 said:

Holy shit, that's a thousand dollar bottle of Scotch.  What did you think of it and please send me a sample when you can.  Shipping on me. Thank you.
    No way we are cracking one of those.
    I'll probably get a chance on Ardbeg Day

Damn!!!

That's all I can say.

Not Whisky but I got to try these today....

Grabbed an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (A121) today. Eager to try it at 123.6 proof. More my ideal range. My previous ECBP have been mid 130’s and hot. 
    bbiggs said:
    Grabbed an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (A121) today. Eager to try it at 123.6 proof. More my ideal range. My previous ECBP have been mid 130’s and hot. 
    Haven't gotten the A121 yet.  I really liked the C1220.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757