so really...best cheese steak in Philly is????

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    Grew up in VT and it was a grinder when it went in the oven

Staying in ludlow this summer with the fam.   I would like a list of all good pizza and sub places within a 60 mile radius.   
    Here is your list:

Did you get them all?  :lol:

That s what I figured.  Lol. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    North of England say pop for what you call soda
    Would that be Scotland?
    Not sure what the scots call it. I mean Manchester.  Burnley that sort place
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    mcgruff10 said:
    Would that be Scotland?
    Isn’t Manchester in England?  I m confused, what does “England” mean, well in England?  I m thinking England as in one of the four parts of the UK.  So north of England would be Scotland.   I m genuinely intrigued Rob.  
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    bbiggs said:
    I’ve never used the term grinder but I used to order an incredible meatball sub quite a bit. Its just called a meatball sub though. 
    Meatball Parm Sandwich. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    Grinder is the Connecticut term for sub, hoagie, or wedge (a westchester NY thing). Hot or cold. And while Connecticut owns pizza for the nation, and we do have some great grinder shops, we can tip our hats to Jersey and Philly. 
    Get_Right said:
    Grinder is the Connecticut term for sub, hoagie, or wedge (a westchester NY thing). Hot or cold. And while Connecticut owns pizza for the nation, and we do have some great grinder shops, we can tip our hats to Jersey and Philly. 
    Is Apizza even considered pizza?
    mcgruff10 said:
    Get_Right said:
    If you know the proper name is Apizza, then you do not need to ask :)
    Get_Right said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Get_Right said:
    Lol.  I ve never had Connecticut pizza, what are some of your favorites? and please start posting in the pizza threads!!!!!
    mcgruff10 said:
    Get_Right said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Get_Right said:
    Lol.  I ve never had Connecticut pizza, what are some of your favorites? and please start posting in the pizza threads!!!!!
    Im a lurker in that thread. I think they mostly have them covered. In the interest of thread integrity here, lets stick to grinders, hoagies, subs and wedges. I will say, there is a local joint near me called Rocky's deli in Millwood, NY.  They are famous for a wedge called the hashtag. On paper it is gross, in reality its amazing with a Boylans black cherry soda. I do not have any pictures because my cardiologist strictly forbids me from being within a hundred yards of that place (we go once a month). :)
    Wedges?!?! What the hell is that?!
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    edited December 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Would that be Scotland?
    Isn’t Manchester in England?  I m confused, what does “England” mean, well in England?  I m thinking England as in one of the four parts of the UK.  So north of England would be Scotland.   I m genuinely intrigued Rob.  
    No. In the north of england .in the   uk. Scotland is its own country like wales and Ireland.  
    So scotland is the  north most country in the u.k
    North england is like carlise. Newcastle. Hull. Manchester.  Liverpool. Blackburn. Those  grim places😉maybe my grammer was shit.  As in the northern part of England 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Would that be Scotland?
    No. In the north of england .in the   uk. Scotland is its own country like wales and Ireland.  
    So scotland is the  north most country in the u.k
    North england is like carlise. Newcastle. Hull. Manchester.  Liverpool. Blackburn. Those  grim places😉maybe my grammer was shit.  As in the northern part of England 
    Aaah got ya, that makes sense.  So north England pretty much sucks? ;)
  • Oh yes. Grim. 
    Bit of banter with south and north. 
    North it rains all the  time and its dreary.
    South is warmer and posher. They  call us southern softies.
    And we all say its grim up north.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

edited December 2020
    Oh yes. Grim. 
    Bit of banter with south and north. 
    North it rains all the  time and its dreary.
    South is warmer and posher. They  call us southern softies.
    And we all say its grim up north.
    So you are soft huh?  ;)  Thanks for explaining.  
  • Yes
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

mcgruff10 said:

Legend has it that the name originated at a deli — some say Landi’s near Yonkers High School — where the matriarch of the family had a thick Italian accent. Her pronunciation of “sandwich” evolved into the shortened “wedge.” Others say the term originated because deli owners cut the overstuffed sandwich diagonally and create two halves with wedge-shaped ends.

I'll tell you this much....I'm getting that hoagie again for dinner tonight. RACK 'EM!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    I'll tell you this much....I'm getting that hoagie again for dinner tonight. RACK 'EM!

This weekend we rock Portland
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'm sure it's not the same as the original poster intended but, here in western Maryland, a wedge is a baked panini-style sandwich but with pizza crust as the bread.  Wedge/Wedgie are both acceptible terms.  I don't know how far geographically this term stretches.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'm sure it's not the same as the original poster intended but, here in western Maryland, a wedge is a baked panini-style sandwich but with pizza crust as the bread.  Wedge/Wedgie are both acceptible terms.  I don't know how far geographically this term stretches.
    Calzone?

Around here a wedge is a lettuce wedge with bleu cheese dressing and bacon bits
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    mcgruff10 said:
    Calzone?

Around here a wedge is a lettuce wedge with bleu cheese dressing and bacon bits
    Same here
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Tony Luke's

Chicken parm on left, eggplant parm on right.  Oh yeah.  
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Ya know an eggplant parm is good when you can't tell which is which. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    mcgruff10 said:
    Chicken parm on left, eggplant parm on right.  Oh yeah.  
    Yes please and yes please. 
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    So not a cheesesteak or even a hoagie but a very PA sandwich for sure. Thin sliced scrapple, American cheese, fried eggs, and bacon jam on a bagel. What a delightful monstrosity. 

Dude that screams hangover food! lol.  Looks awesome.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    RiotZact said:
    So not a cheesesteak or even a hoagie but a very PA sandwich for sure. Thin sliced scrapple, American cheese, fried eggs, and bacon jam on a bagel. What a delightful monstrosity. 

Is that from Stockyard?
    Wow....I usually go pork roll egg and cheese for a breakfast sammy but that looks great.

I'd opt for an everything bagel though. Or Jalapeno Cheddar 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    RiotZact said:

Is that from Stockyard?
    Hinge Cafe. It’s in the Port Richmond area.