2021 European Tour Announcement

Comments

• AponeApone Posts: 575
    UK has approved first vaccine for use roll out to start next week, id say euro shows have a chance of going ahead although still 50/50
    Yes it's definitley looking more possible for next summer now....
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,051
    I’m wondering if we will get half a tour. I can easily see a situation where countries that got in early and preordered the vaccine, like the UK, are all vaccinated before June whereas others are still mid-way through their vaccination rollout
  • drfox said:
    I’m wondering if we will get half a tour. I can easily see a situation where countries that got in early and preordered the vaccine, like the UK, are all vaccinated before June whereas others are still mid-way through their vaccination rollout
    Thats possible but would they go ahead or delay another year until the whole thing can go ahead 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    edited December 2020
    Apone said:
    UK has approved first vaccine for use roll out to start next week, id say euro shows have a chance of going ahead although still 50/50
    Yes it's definitley looking more possible for next summer now....
    It will be up to the governments of each country to give the thumbs up to concerts again to have this work as we all know. To have them all line up will be a tough feat. When Pearl Jam delayed the tour a full year you have to guess that this is the exact best case scenario that they were hoping for aside from this virus magically disappearing. Fingers crossed everything lines up. 
  • It is very good news.  I saw however that Dr. Fauci is saying late summer at the earliest for full stadiums in America.  I think a lot of stars would have to align for the Euro tour to work out in June/July.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • chilisuarezchilisuarez USA / Canada Posts: 110
    PJNB said:
    There's obviously economic pressure for governments to reopen society as much as possible. So how many need to be vaccinated before things open back up? As some have already mentioned - a sizeable number are idiotic anti-vaxxers. Meanwhile the sheer logistical challenge of getting a population vaccinated in one fell swoop means that it could take a long time to get a good proportion done, by which time those who were in the initial wave might even need top-ups. We dont know. But I foresee a situation where governments are going to have to reopen well before perhaps even half are vaccinated. Make sure the vulnerable and elderly are safe, and the rest - who will most likely be ill but not require hospital treatment - will have to take personal responsibility for their own safety.
    It is projected right now in the USA that all vulnerable people from the virus will get their shot/shots before April. I would assume other countries are following the same timeline. That leaves plenty of time for those that are not vulnerable to get the shot as well and have things open up next summer. It is very doable  barring no large hiccups. If that timeline holds I am a bit surprised at all of the people on this board still think shows should not happen next year. If the vulnerable are protected months before the shows what else are we waiting for to open up to going to concerts again? 
    The Canadian government *hopes* to have us all vaccinated by the end of 21. I don't see a summer tour happening unfortunately and I have tickets for most the shows and a son who lives in Germany who I desperately want to see.  
    It can't even be reasonably planned by anyone at this point, travelling between countries, airline and hotel reservations; it's literally impossible to plan. I think we're going to be waiting till at least 22 unfortunately. 
    PJNB said:
    There's obviously economic pressure for governments to reopen society as much as possible. So how many need to be vaccinated before things open back up? As some have already mentioned - a sizeable number are idiotic anti-vaxxers. Meanwhile the sheer logistical challenge of getting a population vaccinated in one fell swoop means that it could take a long time to get a good proportion done, by which time those who were in the initial wave might even need top-ups. We dont know. But I foresee a situation where governments are going to have to reopen well before perhaps even half are vaccinated. Make sure the vulnerable and elderly are safe, and the rest - who will most likely be ill but not require hospital treatment - will have to take personal responsibility for their own safety.
    It is projected right now in the USA that all vulnerable people from the virus will get their shot/shots before April. I would assume other countries are following the same timeline. That leaves plenty of time for those that are not vulnerable to get the shot as well and have things open up next summer. It is very doable  barring no large hiccups. If that timeline holds I am a bit surprised at all of the people on this board still think shows should not happen next year. If the vulnerable are protected months before the shows what else are we waiting for to open up to going to concerts again? 
    The Canadian government *hopes* to have us all vaccinated by the end of 21. I don't see a summer tour happening unfortunately and I have tickets for most the shows and a son who lives in Germany who I desperately want to see.  
    It can't even be reasonably planned by anyone at this point, travelling between countries, airline and hotel reservations; it's literally impossible to plan. I think we're going to be waiting till at least 22 unfortunately. 
    Ya the governments have the final say and Pearl Jam is not going to do anything reckless. That said if in fact most people that are vulnerable to this virus are vaccinated by April in most countries as planned what is stopping us from opening it all back up?
  • PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Ya the governments have the final say and Pearl Jam is not going to do anything reckless. That said if in fact most people that are vulnerable to this virus are vaccinated by April in most countries as planned what is stopping us from opening it all back up?
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    Public health officials are risk managers.  They will likely say everyone is potentially vulnerable.  They’re prioritizing those who are statistically most likely to get severe disease for earlier vaccinations but they don’t consider there to be herd immunity through vaccine until something like 75% of all people have had the shot.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited December 2020
    The government will have a tougher time getting away with determining what businesses are deemed essential and what business they continue to crush after a few months of people getting vaccinated.
    edited December 2020
    We will never get to 75% of people in each nation getting the vaccine though I do not think. To say we need herd immunity (we will not get there with a vaccine in the next couple of years at the very least due to antivaxxers and children not getting it) to go back to normal would be a huge mistake imo and the civil unrest will be justified for those that took the vaccine. If hospitalizations are way down as I expect them to be in April I am all for finally going back to normal and that includes packed concerts. If you are not that is ok too and you can opt out. Not saying anyone specifically here but just in general. 
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,923
    Might not be applicable to arena shows, but I’ve just read that the people running both Glastonbury and Reading and Leeds Festivals say they are very confident that their events will go ahead next year. Their confidence is based on progress with testing for COVID rather than vaccinations. 

Another thread of hope to cling on to!
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • PJNB said:
    We will never get to 75% of people in each nation getting the vaccine though I do not think. To say we need herd immunity (we will not get there with a vaccine in the next couple of years at the very least due to antivaxxers and children not getting it) to go back to normal would be a huge mistake imo and the civil unrest will be justified for those that took the vaccine. If hospitalizations are way down as I expect them to be in April I am all for finally going back to normal and that includes packed concerts. If you are not that is ok too and you can opt out. Not saying anyone specifically here but just in general. 
    I’m just saying public health officials might not let people decide for themselves.  

• I’m not sure what to do here. I have tickets for 6 Europe shows and 2 EuroCup matches. Planned on 6-8 weeks in Europe from DC. I’m just not confident, but also don’t want to miss out on the cost to book right now for June. Even if half of Europe is vaccinated by May, there’s still going to be restrictions in June, July, and August right? Everyone’s going to be traveling over the summer, even with a vaccine numbers will go up again...meaning I see masks at shows and it being an absolute shit show to get into the venues. 
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • I’m not sure what to do here. I have tickets for 6 Europe shows and 2 EuroCup matches. Planned on 6-8 weeks in Europe from DC. I’m just not confident, but also don’t want to miss out on the cost to book right now for June. Even if half of Europe is vaccinated by May, there’s still going to be restrictions in June, July, and August right? Everyone’s going to be traveling over the summer, even with a vaccine numbers will go up again...meaning I see masks at shows and it being an absolute shit show to get into the venues. 
    Nobody really knows what will happen - personally I’d hold off on booking a flight until there is more clarity, unless the flight is refundable.  

• BlueLedbetterBlueLedbetter Posts: 1,130
    edited December 2020
    I’m not sure what to do here. I have tickets for 6 Europe shows and 2 EuroCup matches. Planned on 6-8 weeks in Europe from DC. I’m just not confident, but also don’t want to miss out on the cost to book right now for June. Even if half of Europe is vaccinated by May, there’s still going to be restrictions in June, July, and August right? Everyone’s going to be traveling over the summer, even with a vaccine numbers will go up again...meaning I see masks at shows and it being an absolute shit show to get into the venues. 
    Its being said that there will still be some restrictions basically until everyone is vaccinated. I was initially hopeful it was at least 50/50 of it all going ahead but in the UK they are now saying the vulnerable will be vaccinated by spring, previously they said all adults by spring so chances of the tour seem to be slipping away. 
    Its being said that there will still be some restrictions basically until everyone is vaccinated. I was initially hopeful it was at least 50/50 of it all going ahead but in the UK they are now saying the vulnerable will be vaccinated by spring, previously they thsaid all adults by spring so chances of the tour seem to be slipping away. 
    And even if the UK gives the all-clear there are a dozen other countries on the tour.  What are the odds that all of them are in a position for this to happen safely in 6-7 months from now, including there being freedom of movement across borders.  

Its being said that there will still be some restrictions basically until everyone is vaccinated. I was initially hopeful it was at least 50/50 of it all going ahead but in the UK they are now saying the vulnerable will be vaccinated by spring, previously they thsaid all adults by spring so chances of the tour seem to be slipping away. 
    And even if the UK gives the all-clear there are a dozen other countries on the tour.  What are the odds that all of them are in a position for this to happen safely in 6-7 months from now, including there being freedom of movement across borders.  
    Slim I think might just be a few months too soon for the tour to go ahead, although I guess if the Oxford vaccine is approved soon things could speed up
  • EMC77EMC77 Almería, Spain Posts: 124
    edited December 2020
    I’m not sure what to do here. I have tickets for 6 Europe shows and 2 EuroCup matches. Planned on 6-8 weeks in Europe from DC. I’m just not confident, but also don’t want to miss out on the cost to book right now for June. Even if half of Europe is vaccinated by May, there’s still going to be restrictions in June, July, and August right? Everyone’s going to be traveling over the summer, even with a vaccine numbers will go up again...meaning I see masks at shows and it being an absolute shit show to get into the venues. 

I read that the EU could ask for a vaccination certificate to cross borders as a way to convince people who is reluctant to get the vaccine.

But the fact is that by now there are no vaccines for everyone, they will come through 2021 and there is an order to get the vaccine, whether you want it or not. In my country, Spain, the government does not expect to vaccinate regular adult population before the summer, cos first will go people +65, health workers, people with health issues and essential workers.

So I'm sure I won't be vaccinated by july, and if the certificate is compulsory, and the tour goes on as planned, I won't be able to go to the concerts I have tickets for.
    Post edited by EMC77 on
  • Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 268
    edited December 2020
    You folks might know better than me: if it's not possible for the band to play all of the euro tour dates as measures are still in place in some nations, will the band likely cancel ALL dates or only the non-festival ones? In other words, how problematic is it for the band to pull out of a headline slot in a festival (hyde park,  Lollapalooza, etc) because the rest of the tour is cancelled if the festivals they are signed on to play are still going ahead? Is it likely they'll still play them or cancel do you think? Will give the organisers a big headache if they pull out. But i guess we're in uncharted territory with all of this.
    Post edited by Gravey1975 on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Perhaps they add more shows in countries they can play in and drop the ones they can’t play.  

Move these shows to large outdoor stadiums.  Will be easier to distance if capacity limited to arena attendance.
  • You folks might know better than me: if it's not possible for the band to play all of the euro tour dates as measures are still in place in some nations, will the band likely cancel ALL dates or only the non-festival ones? In other words, how problematic is it for the band to pull out of a headline slot in a festival (hyde park,  Lollapalooza, etc) because the rest of the tour is cancelled if the festivals they are signed on to play are still going ahead? Is it likely they'll still play them or cancel do you think? Will give the organisers a big headache if they pull out. But i guess we're in uncharted territory with all of this.
    I don’t know the answer but I would say if PJ can’t play a festival it likely means nobody can play the festival.  I would think the tour is all or nothing, with a possible exception that if one or two countries are way behind the others then maybe one or two shows get cancelled.

• Nick Cave has just cancelled his run of shows in Europe next year which was to run until end of June, basically saying it's unpredictable, here is your money back, let's do this when the end of this health crisis is more certain. 
  • coey33 said:
    Nick Cave has just cancelled his run of shows in Europe next year which was to run until end of June, basically saying it's unpredictable, here is your money back, let's do this when the end of this health crisis is more certain. 
    I hope we get the option of keeping the tickets again until 2022 if it is cancelled 
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    coey33 said:
    Nick Cave has just cancelled his run of shows in Europe next year which was to run until end of June, basically saying it's unpredictable, here is your money back, let's do this when the end of this health crisis is more certain. 
    I wouldn’t even want my money back, I‘d rather hang on to my tickets for another year
  • coey33 said:
    Spring shows are screwed for sure, and as he had so many shows scheduled for April, he didnt have much choice. There will be a huge wave of cancellations in the coming weeks for shows scheduled for the first half of the year. PJ's tour is really right on the cusp of being even theoretically viable IMO. But they're gonna have to open up music venues, theatres, sports stadiums sooner rather than later or the arts and sports sectors will be decimated. There will be a lot of pressure to open up these sectors by the summer, particularly if the vulnerable have already been vaccinated by then.
  • JPPJ84 said:
    coey33 said:
    I wouldn’t even want my money back, I‘d rather hang on to my tickets for another year
    +1 

• mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,022
    Slipknot just announced a European tour starting in mid-July. Mostly outdoors, but some arenas. But then again, the band and a lot of their fanbase are used to wearing masks :lol:
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,394
    My lollapalooza paris refund. Guess the exchange rates ate up the difference?
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 363
    coey33 said:
    Spring shows are screwed for sure, and as he had so many shows scheduled for April, he didnt have much choice. There will be a huge wave of cancellations in the coming weeks for shows scheduled for the first half of the year. PJ's tour is really right on the cusp of being even theoretically viable IMO. But they're gonna have to open up music venues, theatres, sports stadiums sooner rather than later or the arts and sports sectors will be decimated. There will be a lot of pressure to open up these sectors by the summer, particularly if the vulnerable have already been vaccinated by then.
    Indeed.

But I think opening up the sector to millionaire touring acts is not what is going to keep the sector alive. It's going to be getting the clubs and theatres running and booked again. Acts of PJ's stature should be able to survive this - it's the small/middle acts that we need to be concerned about.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • JackD.JackD. Posts: 479
    edited December 2020
    German finance minster announced ideas of a „cancellation guarantee“ (refund for promoters if concerts get cancelled eventually) for concerts that are being planned for the second half of 2021. He wants to fuel the planning process „so that concerts can go ahead when it‘s safe and not months later due to hesitation in planning“.

That means there is some confidence things will change to the better before the summer.

Nick Cave was probably just a tad too early with the tour start in April.

I‘m optimistic to see you in the pit this summer!
This discussion has been closed.