2021 European Tour Announcement

Comments

• PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    PJNB said:
    The UK plans to administer 1 million doses per week so wont be done by the summer if that is what actually happens would make hyde park at least touch and go 
    There are 66 million people in the UK. How is that not enough time if there is a vaccine by the end of the year? 
    That's 66 weeks it's only about 30 odd till hyde park 
    ya my math was off lol. I was thinking 66 days. The question remains how many people need to be vaccinated to return to normal. Going to be interesting to see how each country does things when this starts to roll out.
    Obviously not everyone that's why I think it will be touch and go if they do enough to feel things can open up more 
    Euro 2021 will be the biggest tell of what will happen for PJ next summer I think. If they have full and packed stadiums then obviously Pearl Jam would probably follow suit. That is what I will be watching in the early months of 2021 and see what they are leaning towards doing. Also though in Japan the summer Olympics will say a lot too. 

There are rumours of moving euros to Russia rather than have people travelling all over. As you say if that happens it will be an indication of what happens with the tour 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Maybe the shows will happen with a proof of vaccine.  PJ’s way of pushing people to get it.
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,434
    Maybe the shows will happen with a proof of vaccine.  PJ’s way of pushing people to get it.
    Again, 21 would be too early for that because it’s going to take a while vaccinating everybody 
  • AponeApone Posts: 575
    PJNB said:
    FR181798 said:
    While things will hopefully return to some sort of normality by Summer next year I personally think we are going to need a bit more time. Time to adjust, venues arent going to go from zero to 10,000, vaccines would need to be rolled out across all countries and for cases to drop to a very low level. Until that happens I cant see arena's being filled and foreign travel back to normal. I would rather they cancel and we could have 2022 to look forward to. Ive got a ticket for Vienna, bought direct from the Venue, no monetary refund. Would rather 2021 is just a period of adjustment and then I could make proper plans for 2022.
    50% of EU and NA population are going to refuse the vaccine. That is a given. Then there will be others that want it but want to wait a year or two since its "new". Unless we have a global wide mandatory vaccine cases are always going to be around until we build enough of the population up to the herd immunity with cases/vaccines. Then of course it could be a yearly strain that needs a vaccine annually like the flu shot. Then what? 

The bottom line for me is if the news is correct I would go to a concert no problem. If we have a working vaccine that is 90% effective and it has already been given to the old/sick/vulnerable and is now available to anyone that wants it in April the shows can go on at full capacity as far as I am concerned. If that is not what we have been waiting for what is it? 

I am hopefully not coming off strong with my messaging for those that are hesitant or thinking we need longer time to go back to normal. I get it and respect that opinion. However I just do not see still holding up normal life if, and its a big if, the news is right and the vaccine can be given to you and I in April. 
    This is where I am with this question aswell.  If the shows are on I will be going.
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
    JPPJ84 said:
    Again, 21 would be too early for that because it’s going to take a while vaccinating everybody 
    Don’t disagree.  But if you have the anti-vaccine or wait crowd sitting out of the line it may allow for people that want to get the vaccine to go to concerts or travel or whatever  to get sooner.
  • Another way to look at the numbers:  New York State governor Andrew Cuomo observed that in the entire pandemic to date the US has done 120M tests.  By contrast a vaccine that everyone gets twice would require close to 700M to be done.  Granted, the US federal government may be better aligned with getting the vaccine distributed, but that’s still a massive amount of work.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    edited November 2020
    Euro 2021 will be the biggest tell of what will happen for PJ next summer I think. If they have full and packed stadiums then obviously Pearl Jam would probably follow suit. That is what I will be watching in the early months of 2021 and see what they are leaning towards doing. Also though in Japan the summer Olympics will say a lot too. 
    Cant see any fans being at Euro 2021 to be honest. People criss crossing countries following their team. Hopefully we will see some normality by the start of the domestic 21-22 seasons here in the UK but not sure there will be full stadiums. Would need to be enough time for a vaccine being rolled out to the vulnerable and bring the number of severe cases down significantly. I cant imagine they are going to give the world the vaccine, in my 40s so will be bottom of the list. 
    Post edited by FR181798 on
  • There's obviously economic pressure for governments to reopen society as much as possible. So how many need to be vaccinated before things open back up? As some have already mentioned - a sizeable number are idiotic anti-vaxxers. Meanwhile the sheer logistical challenge of getting a population vaccinated in one fell swoop means that it could take a long time to get a good proportion done, by which time those who were in the initial wave might even need top-ups. We dont know. But I foresee a situation where governments are going to have to reopen well before perhaps even half are vaccinated. Make sure the vulnerable and elderly are safe, and the rest - who will most likely be ill but not require hospital treatment - will have to take personal responsibility for their own safety.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    There's obviously economic pressure for governments to reopen society as much as possible. So how many need to be vaccinated before things open back up? As some have already mentioned - a sizeable number are idiotic anti-vaxxers. Meanwhile the sheer logistical challenge of getting a population vaccinated in one fell swoop means that it could take a long time to get a good proportion done, by which time those who were in the initial wave might even need top-ups. We dont know. But I foresee a situation where governments are going to have to reopen well before perhaps even half are vaccinated. Make sure the vulnerable and elderly are safe, and the rest - who will most likely be ill but not require hospital treatment - will have to take personal responsibility for their own safety.
    It is projected right now in the USA that all vulnerable people from the virus will get their shot/shots before April. I would assume other countries are following the same timeline. That leaves plenty of time for those that are not vulnerable to get the shot as well and have things open up next summer. It is very doable  barring no large hiccups. If that timeline holds I am a bit surprised at all of the people on this board still think shows should not happen next year. If the vulnerable are protected months before the shows what else are we waiting for to open up to going to concerts again? 
    Read an article in a German newspaper today discussing the benefits of maybe vaccinating the younger population first. They’re the ones out and about and spreading it more. Vaccinate them, stop the spread and therefore save elders. I still think they’ll do high risk groups first
  • JPPJ84 said:
    Read an article in a German newspaper today discussing the benefits of maybe vaccinating the younger population first. They’re the ones out and about and spreading it more. Vaccinate them, stop the spread and therefore save elders. I still think they’ll do high risk groups first
    I don’t know if they have established if the vaccines will stop the spread or just prevent the recipient from getting sick.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

• JPPJ84 said:
    Giving the vaccine to younger folks first won’t help the typical Pearl Jam Fan in 2021.
    axeljohan said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    Giving the vaccine to younger folks first won’t help the typical Pearl Jam Fan in 2021.
    :lol: I might profit, I‘m not that old ;)
    JPPJ84 said:
    I don’t know if they have established if the vaccines will stop the spread or just prevent the recipient from getting sick.
    No idea tbh
  • raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    edited November 2020
    No one knows now, only time will tell. 
    Post edited by raindog80 on
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • neddie vedderneddie vedder 93 million miles from the sun Posts: 191
    I’d go to a show vaccine or not..got 6 shows lined up next summer and as each year passes it gets closer to PJ calling it a day or maybe scaling back on such huge tours so grab em while you can is my train of thought 
    Manchester 09, Hyde Park 10, Berlin 10, Manchester 1+2 2012, EV Manchester 2012, EV London 1+2 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, EV London 1+2 2017, EV Dublin 2017, London 2018, Milan 2018, Padova 2018, Rome 2018, Berlin 2018, EV Florence 2019, EV Barolo 2019, EV Madrid 2019, Berlin 2022, London 1+2 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022

Moderna just announced their vaccine is 94.5% effective. They thought these vaccines were going to be 60% effective. They would have been ecstatic to have 70%-80% effective. 94.5% effective is a number that we should all be going crazy over. If they can roll this vaccine out to Europe and NA at a great rate and if people actually opt to get one I am hoping the shows happen in the summer. PJ will not have a say in this as the governments will have the final say and maybe that will be too tough for all the countries part of the EU tour to come together and all agree that it will be safe. I dont know. Either way this is great news today and fingers crossed we can do this. 
  • PJNB said:
    Moderna just announced their vaccine is 94.5% effective. They thought these vaccines were going to be 60% effective. They would have been ecstatic to have 70%-80% effective. 94.5% effective is a number that we should all be going crazy over. If they can roll this vaccine out to Europe and NA at a great rate and if people actually opt to get one I am hoping the shows happen in the summer. PJ will not have a say in this as the governments will have the final say and maybe that will be too tough for all the countries part of the EU tour to come together and all agree that it will be safe. I dont know. Either way this is great news today and fingers crossed we can do this. 
    Seems like its all going to be down to the roll out timescales will they have done enough for the summer ? Who knows I still think summer might be too soon but we have a bit of hope at least 
  • raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    PJNB said:
    This.
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • The news looks very good for North America Fall 2021.  I feel >80% good about that.  A lot would have to go right for Europe summer 2021.  That one is more of a coin flip to me.

• PJNB said:
    Look at it this way, we are either going to get shows in '21 (still unlikely) or '22 (very likely) which a few months ago a lot of us questioned. So as far I'm concerned that's a win based on where we've been for the past 9 months. 
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • PJNB said:
    UK now hoping to have all adults vaccinated by April lets hope its true but im still dubious on the timescales think European tour is still touch and go
  • PJNB said:
    Germany could start the roll-out as early as Mid-December, but it all depends on the approval of the vaccine. So, there is no definite starting date for the roll-out yet.
    edited November 2020
    axeljohan said:
    PJNB said:
    Germany could start the roll-out as early as Mid-December, but it all depends on the approval of the vaccine. So, there is no definite starting date for the roll-out yet.
    True but being ahead of schedule at the moment can only be a good sign going forward imo. All the stars need to line up for this summer tour to even have a small chance of happening and this is the start of that. 

That said we could get a headline tomorrow that pushes everything back a month or some bad news on numbers available for distribution. Fingers crossed its all positive going forward. 

Post edited by PJNB on
  • I believe I saw something to the effect of UK expecting to have a substantial number of people done by April.  It is difficult to believe anything that sounds like good news at this point but stranger things have happened.  

• E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,697
    So Guns N Roses are touring Australia and NZ in November 2021.  Hoping for a PJ tour of Australia late next year too. 
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,393

Thanks for posting.  I still need to request a refund for Lolla Paris.  Maybe not too late.  
  • UK has approved first vaccine for use roll out to start next week, id say euro shows have a chance of going ahead although still 50/50
This discussion has been closed.