Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

Yes, it's amazing! And apparently anything can be political. I saw someone mad about it on facebook, because they think not putting Terry Fox on the coin, and choosing a First Nations artist instead, is politically correct pandering by the government. And of course, when someone pointed out that Terry Fox was already on a loonie in 2005, the idiot didn't respond, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, it's amazing! And apparently anything can be political. I saw someone mad about it on facebook, because they think not putting Terry Fox on the coin, and choosing a First Nations artist instead, is politically correct pandering by the government. And of course, when someone pointed out that Terry Fox was already on a loonie in 2005, the idiot didn't respond, lol.
    Ha!

As I was reading your post, I was thinking “wasn’t Terry Fox already on a coin.....?”
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Thoughts on Trump's imposed tariffs?  

I think you're going to see opinions on both sides but ultimately it's hard not to see what is 100% obvious... and that is that Trump is desperate for any kind of talking point that makes him look better before the election.  He is throwing shit against a wall and hoping it sticks. 

If they change their mind before August 16th, which is what Canada is hoping for.... Trump is going to look dumber than he already does.. which is astonishing.  If the tariffs go through ... we enter a harmful trade war which again... makes Trump look dumb for harming his people during a pandemic that slowed down the economy to a crawl.  Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. 

Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Haven’t been following this thread but this news regarding our Governor General is troubling. I believe that constitutional monarchies are stronger democracies and therefore the GG is an important position. However, the reports on frivolous spending and horrible treatment of staff at Rideau Hall is unacceptable and quite frankly very un-Canadian. 
    Trudeau must act quickly and remove her from her post.  It’s another question of ethics within his government. 
    Parksy said:
    Thoughts on Trump's imposed tariffs?  

I think you're going to see opinions on both sides but ultimately it's hard not to see what is 100% obvious... and that is that Trump is desperate for any kind of talking point that makes him look better before the election.  He is throwing shit against a wall and hoping it sticks. 

If they change their mind before August 16th, which is what Canada is hoping for.... Trump is going to look dumber than he already does.. which is astonishing.  If the tariffs go through ... we enter a harmful trade war which again... makes Trump look dumb for harming his people during a pandemic that slowed down the economy to a crawl.  Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. 

Probably more to do with this:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OMNSQzK883s
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    So clearly some within the administration actually do understand how to manage conflicts of interest (or the appearance of one, which is just as damning to many).  It begs the question, was Trudeau advised to step aside on the WE file and if so did he ignore his advisers?

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/trudeau-government-paying-84m-to-firm-employing-katie-telfords-husband-to-manage-rent-assistance-aid-program/wcm/51a746f9-45ba-48ac-b22c-4abdbfb9349f/
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    Haven’t been following this thread but this news regarding our Governor General is troubling. I believe that constitutional monarchies are stronger democracies and therefore the GG is an important position. However, the reports on frivolous spending and horrible treatment of staff at Rideau Hall is unacceptable and quite frankly very un-Canadian. 
    Trudeau must act quickly and remove her from her post.  It’s another question of ethics within his government. 
    I don’t actually think he can. She’s the Queen’s representative - I think that only the Queen can remove her, correct? 

Or she can quit, of course 
    edited August 2020
    I don’t actually think he can. She’s the Queen’s representative - I think that only the Queen can remove her, correct? 

That is correct, however, the GG is appointed by the Queen on the advice of the PM. Removal would be the same.

From the Act approved by the Senate:
    Procedure for removal
    5. The Prime Minister of Canada may only advise Her Majesty to remove the Governor General from office in accordance with the procedure set out in Schedule 2.
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on

That is correct, however, the GG is appointed by the Queen on the advice of the PM. Removal would be the same.

Procedure for removal
    5. The Prime Minister of Canada may only advise Her Majesty to remove the Governor General from office in accordance with the procedure set out in Schedule 2.

I disagree with actually removing her from her post until an investigation has been completed, and would also suspect that Trudeau would be loath to approach the Queen to do so unless he had as much information as is reasonably possible to get. 
    I also suspect that the usual strategies and work ethic of an astronaut don’t mesh all that well with the civil service. 
    As far as I’m concerned it’s time to decolonize and tell The Queen to go fuck herself...

the Governor General position is wasted tax $$$.

Give Peas A Chance…
    As far as I’m concerned it’s time to decolonize and tell The Queen to go fuck herself...

Yeah that’s right. It would be a lot better if Trudeau had the same level of power as Trump **eyes rolling**. There is never any problems in the Republics of the world. 

Constitutional Monarchies are far better systems. Not perfect (nothing is) but better. 

Procedure for removal

I disagree with actually removing her from her post until an investigation has been completed, and would also suspect that Trudeau would be loath to approach the Queen to do so unless he had as much information as is reasonably possible to get. 
    There would have to be a full investigation of course. I would assume that is happening already. 
    Of course Trudeau doesn’t WANT to do this, my point was he was his selection (advises the Queen to appoint her) and she appears to be a train wreck. Therefore, she is linked to him and it’s another ethical black eye on his government. 

It’s not going to look good either way, but Trudeau seems to be able to apologize to everyone or shift blame where it doesn’t really belong. If he advised the Queen to remove her, he may get away unscathed again. 

Procedure for removal

There would have to be a full investigation of course. I would assume that is happening already. 
    Of course Trudeau doesn’t WANT to do this, my point was he was his selection (advises the Queen to appoint her) and she appears to be a train wreck. Therefore, she is linked to him and it’s another ethical black eye on his government. 

It’s not going to look good either way, but Trudeau seems to be able to apologize to everyone or shift blame where it doesn’t really belong. If he advised the Queen to remove her, he may get away unscathed again. 
    So, if an investigation supports the allegations then I agree he needs to request her removal. I understood from your comment that you want her removed immediately, before an investigation is complete. 
    I trust we can all agree this sort of thing is unacceptable regardless who’s being targeted (stories today in Ontario of a Conservative MPP being given protection after threats and an incident...after she appeared on a radio talk show discussing the harassment and threats female and minority politicians face.

All that said, I do see a big gulf between calling names (as occurred to McKenna in Ottawa), something most politicians engage in themselves, and threats to do harm.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/justin-ling-someone-is-going-to-get-killed/wcm/85b32202-577f-44ae-94d1-d821cd2b1d3c/

edited August 2020
    This was (for me) an interesting and troubling read and confirms many of my fears about Trudeau’s “leadership” and governance. Evidence-based decisions? Not if it won’t keep the Liberals in power under Trudeau. God, I really hope the federal Conservatives choose a leader of the caliber Doug Ford has proven to be.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/relationships-strain-between-trudeau-and-morneau-over-covid-recovery-plan/wcm/86f2cb34-442d-4097-bff2-20a11db4c23b/

Quick edit:  The author does rely on the always questionable anonymous sources, but presumably was able to corroborate through the volume of interviews done.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

Procedure for removal

So, if an investigation supports the allegations then I agree he needs to request her removal. I understood from your comment that you want her removed immediately, before an investigation is complete. 
    Completely understandable. I was not succinct. 😎

Yeah that’s right. It would be a lot better if Trudeau had the same level of power as Trump **eyes rolling**. There is never any problems in the Republics of the world. 

Constitutional Monarchies are far better systems. Not perfect (nothing is) but better. 
    When Trudeau has a majority he has more power than trump.  As a matter fact he has more power than trump does now as long as the corrupt NDP continues to support the most incompetent PM ever.  The GG is a figure head position.  Our relationship with Britain is tradition only these days.  And Trudeau is not going to investigate and ask for her removal.  A PM with morals would never appointed her ...

and why would anyone want to be associated with the queen.  It appears Andy is into underage girls...but not a Pepe from those crooks in the royal family...

like I said they can go fuck themselves...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941

How much would it really impact?  The Governor General is basically a rubber stamp.  They don't really interfere with much of anything.  They just put their stamp of approval on things. 

A ruling government in Canada already has "more" power than trump has in the US, because our system isn't designed to fragment power to the extent the US one is. 

I honestly don't think cutting out the monarchy would have much of an impact on our parliamentary system.   What the Queen and Governor General do is more in line with tradition (for show).   They don't really do much.
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    ^
    Yes, but it would save a shit ton of money if we abolished the GG that could be put to better use
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    I suppose it won’t surprise anyone that I support our constitutional monarchy. Unfortunately for me, any arguments I might offer up are purely emotional and ideological (Britain maintaining the monarchy can be more supported in a dollars-and-cents way based on the tourism it brings in, not the case for Canada).

I am proud to have lived through some of Elizabeth II’s reign as I think she has provided a fine example for us “subjects” to aspire to in terms of civilized behaviour. Her record of following duty and service is also admirable. Elizabeth’s mother was another fine example, especially during WWII. I do also appreciate that for centuries the monarch’s powers have been extremely limited and ceremonial. I enjoy the pomp and circumstance that is entailed with our traditions.

Unfortunately the current GG doesn’t garner much support from me as she showed very early on that she doesn’t grasp that she represents all Canadians (her obvious scorn for those who hold to religious faiths). I’m not convinced the current issues aren’t an attempt by the government to change the channel from WE, but regardless if the allegations are true a resignation should be in order.

If we’re going to encourage others to maintain their traditions (the “native” tribes come to mind), why are we so eager to tear down our own traditions?

Lastly I do want to ask if we’re really going to let one bad apple (Andrew, possibly) spoil the whole bunch? Personally I like to think I wasn’t raised with such a mindset and look moreso at the individual cases.

No CFL season after Ottawa says “no” to helping the league.

My guess us the money is running out.  Trudeau and Morneau are at odds over the trust fund babies inability to comprehend the fiscal mess that we are in ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    No CFL season after Ottawa says “no” to helping the league.

My guess us the money is running out.  Trudeau and Morneau are at odds over the trust fund babies inability to comprehend the fiscal mess that we are in ... 
    It was disappointing to hear the league was “only” asking for $30 million, less than WE stood to profit from their deal. In my opinion it should have been an easy yes for the government (especially in light of the billions that have been shoveled out the door by the government), but I’ve felt from the outset sports were needed as a comfort and diversion (delays getting things going safely were entirely understandable however).

First time since 1919 the Grey Cup won’t be awarded, more to add to Trudeau’s legacy in my opinion.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    if he had given the CFL 30 million, his detractors would be vilifying him for throwing the money away while people are out of work and can't get by. 

he says no, and the same damn people are saying it's a bad move.

predictable be thy name. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

So this is what I get for getting news from the tv and headlines, lol. Turns out the league moved the goalposts on the funding they were asking for (always for less money though) and there were other internal issues at play (mainly negotiations with the players union).

So while it’s not entirely the government’s fault (voiding my last line above in the interest of fairness) I do still feel the $30 million ask (for a loan, not a handout) should have been an easy yes for the Liberals.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-cancel-season-pandemic-1.5689252

So this is what I get for getting news from the tv and headlines, lol. Turns out the league moved the goalposts on the funding they were asking for (always for less money though) and there were other internal issues at play (mainly negotiations with the players union).

So while it’s not entirely the government’s fault (voiding my last line above in the interest of fairness) I do still feel the $30 million ask (for a loan, not a handout) should have been an easy yes for the Liberals.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/cfl-cancel-season-pandemic-1.5689252
    Without the money, I would imagine everything else is a moot point.  I would say if the league had 30 million in hand, negotiations would have been successful.  I’m not a CFL but I know the league is important to many in the western provinces...

if money is truly now a concern with the liberals, what’s the plan for (if) there is major second wave.  I hope they have a plan.  People will need help...Of course there may be an election?  The bloc plan on introducing a non confidence motion that will likely get conservative support and maybe NDP support if Trudeau tells Singh no...and he may.  Singh want 10 billion for daycare...lol.

Give Peas A Chance…

Trudeau, Morneau clash over green plans, soaring deficit

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-morneau-clash-1.5688776

i believe there was a political party that warned us that soaring deficits in good times meant trouble when we needed the money the most...well the money will be needed more now than ever...

Give Peas A Chance…