Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    GlowGirl said:
    Had a decent 4.5 mile run today even though it was hot. I hit a few red lights which helped me catch my breath. Usually, I run right through them when no cars are coming. But today I was a good law abiding citizen and waited until they turned green 🥵. 

Ha.  That happens for me as well...on Saturday I was bummed when 2 spots where I usually have to wait for traffic on longer run route were both open for running.  One time the cross signal was on and the other time I had to throw it into high gear and sprint across the road (5 lanes in that spot) since there were not any cars in sight.  I was looking forward to the chance to rest and instead I added a short sprint in there.  :lol:  

This week's fun...looks like rain.  Rain and Lightning means I should not be out there...and Wednesday is a 6 mile pace run, nfw I want to do that on my dreadmill.  Saturday is 11 miles.  NFW, for real, I am doing that inside.  Just need the Lighting part to go away.  Running in the rain beats running on my treadmill.
    That’s kind of funny, because I’m the opposite - if I have to take a really short break, like at a light, my body seems to think “great, we’re done!” and it feels so much worse when I start running again. Better to just push through, or if that’s impossible, walk for a few minutes and then start again. 
    I get that as well. There is one light I look forward to though. It is right after I do an uphill and after I get through the light it is downhill and there is scaffolding up and there is shade for a few blocks. I do like to stop at that light and then recharge going down that hill. That was one of the lights today that I probably could have barreled through, but decided to stop and wait it out.

GlowGirl said:
    Had a decent 4.5 mile run today even though it was hot. I hit a few red lights which helped me catch my breath. Usually, I run right through them when no cars are coming. But today I was a good law abiding citizen and waited until they turned green 🥵. 

Ha.  That happens for me as well...on Saturday I was bummed when 2 spots where I usually have to wait for traffic on longer run route were both open for running.  One time the cross signal was on and the other time I had to throw it into high gear and sprint across the road (5 lanes in that spot) since there were not any cars in sight.  I was looking forward to the chance to rest and instead I added a short sprint in there.  :lol:  

This week's fun...looks like rain.  Rain and Lightning means I should not be out there...and Wednesday is a 6 mile pace run, nfw I want to do that on my dreadmill.  Saturday is 11 miles.  NFW, for real, I am doing that inside.  Just need the Lighting part to go away.  Running in the rain beats running on my treadmill.
    It is great that you at least have the option of the treadmill when needed. There were a few times this summer when I wished my apartment was bigger so I could buy a treadmill. My gym is only a 3 block walk (under 5 minutes) so that worked out perfectly until it closed down. So, my only choice now is outside no matter what the weather. I have been lucky in that I have really only had to run in the rain very few times since March, and it was not pouring too much. I am curious to see how my body will handle the winter cold if the gym does not reopen by then. Running in the cold will be a completely new experience for me.

• PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Also I did freeze my frigging hog a few days last year.
    Actually took a glove and put it in my pants on the worst day.  Windy and about 20 degrees that day and I did 10 miles.  I think after about 4 or 5 miles my joint was frozen.
    Why not a sock?

A sock would work but might chafe the Johnson.  When I was already on the run the sock was on my foot....the glove was in my hand.  Easier to do.  It was just a wind shield.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

It is great that you at least have the option of the treadmill when needed. There were a few times this summer when I wished my apartment was bigger so I could buy a treadmill. My gym is only a 3 block walk (under 5 minutes) so that worked out perfectly until it closed down. So, my only choice now is outside no matter what the weather. I have been lucky in that I have really only had to run in the rain very few times since March, and it was not pouring too much. I am curious to see how my body will handle the winter cold if the gym does not reopen by then. Running in the cold will be a completely new experience for me.

It is pretty damn cold when the wind blows.  Get the right gear for yourself

GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

It is pretty damn cold when the wind blows.  Get the right gear for yourself

Either that or I will have to jog in place in my apartment. I remember my mom used to do that when I was a kid. I guess it’s like using a treadmill without the treadmill 🤔
    Have you seen the YouTube videos of people making their own treadmills?  
    Search that shit out if you want to have a laugh.
    I will have to check that out. I could have used a treadmill today. 4.5 miles of sweatiness. When I got home I was soaked like I had been in a rainstorm. But nope - just my own sweaty downpour. I have to say though that after that kind of run, standing in a cool shower is almost like getting high. Such a great feeling.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited August 2020
    I tried to not walk. Just took a short-short walking break when the Stephen King short story endes to switch to my friend’s horror podcast. 

Need to find a longer route.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    GlowGirl said:
    I will have to check that out. I could have used a treadmill today. 4.5 miles of sweatiness. When I got home I was soaked like I had been in a rainstorm. But nope - just my own sweaty downpour. I have to say though that after that kind of run, standing in a cool shower is almost like getting high. Such a great feeling.

Yeah this morning was nasty.  I was slow, as well....after four or five miles it was annoying as hell to try and keep the sweat from distracting me.
    Have the rain gear for tomorrow am but I think I'm just gonna go like normal and deal.  Too frigging hot for rain gear yet.

I tried to not walk. Just took a short-short walking break when the Stephen King short story endes to switch to my friend’s horror podcast. 

Need to find a longer route.

Good work!
    Going and doing it is the tough part.
    Rolled my ankle this morning...luckily I was almost at the end of my run, so once I picked myself up off the ground from full wipe out mode, I was able to hobble back.  :lol:
    Looks and feels pretty crappy right now but as with most "ankles", the tell will be how it feels tomorrow.
    Slated for 11 miles on Saturday and I'm hoping worst case will be to push that a day and do my Sunday cross work on Saturday.
    The schedule gods demand sacrifice and commitment!

Rolled my ankle this morning...luckily I was almost at the end of my run, so once I picked myself up off the ground from full wipe out mode, I was able to hobble back.  :lol:
    Looks and feels pretty crappy right now but as with most "ankles", the tell will be how it feels tomorrow.
    Slated for 11 miles on Saturday and I'm hoping worst case will be to push that a day and do my Sunday cross work on Saturday.
    The schedule gods demand sacrifice and commitment!

Ouch. Ankle injuries suck. Do you have a compression sock you can wear. That helped last time my ankle was giving me trouble. But you are right that time will tell. Rest and ice. Lucky, it was at the end of your run. Keep us posted. Feel better soon. 
    Thanks!  I do have compression items to wear, will see what things look like.  All sorts of experience with messed up ankles.  Luckily I only have 5 meetings today so I can elevate and ice periodically throughout the day.

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Did a 10K yesterday in just under an hour, which is stretching out my average distance a bit.  Nice steady pace and it felt great.  I don't think I sped up or slowed down the entire run.  I just got in the zone with my pace and breathing and probably could have kept going a lot longer if I wasn't losing daylight.  All this talk about the weather has me concerned.  I've never run outside in the Winter (not regularly at least) and there's no way I'm going to my gym this year.  I guess I'm going to have to look into cold weather gear.  F*$@! 
    bbiggs said:
    Did a 10K yesterday in just under an hour, which is stretching out my average distance a bit.  Nice steady pace and it felt great.  I don't think I sped up or slowed down the entire run.  I just got in the zone with my pace and breathing and probably could have kept going a lot longer if I wasn't losing daylight.  All this talk about the weather has me concerned.  I've never run outside in the Winter (not regularly at least) and there's no way I'm going to my gym this year.  I guess I'm going to have to look into cold weather gear.  F*$@! 
    I started looking into that as well. I have never run outside in the winter. I found this chart from Runner's World that I copied. It is common sense, but nice to have it spelled out for me. I actually ordered a Nike long sleeve tech shirt from Amazon yesterday to make sure the size is good before I order a few more. I already have short sleeve ones, but haven't really needed the long sleeves. This year I will for sure.

What to Wear Running in the Cold

Still wondering what you should wear? You can use our clever What to Wear tool, or use this quick guide.

• 60+ degrees: tank top and shorts
    • 50–59 degrees: short sleeve tech shirt and shorts
    • 40–49 degrees: long sleeve tech shirt, shorts or tights, gloves (optional), headband to cover ears (optional)
    • 30–39 degrees: long sleeve tech shirt, shorts or tights, gloves, and headband to cover ears
    • 20–29 degrees: two shirts layered—a long sleeve tech shirt and a short sleeve tech shirt or long sleeve shirt and jacket—tights, gloves, and headband or hat to cover ears
    • 10–19 degrees: two shirts layered, tights, gloves or mittens, headband or hat, and windbreaker jacket/pants
    • 0–9 degrees: two shirts layered, tights, windbreaker jacket/pants, mittens, headband or hat, ski mask to cover face

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    edited August 2020
    I am tapping out for training in August. I may do some running on my set off but doing 6 days of 13hr shifts and 3 of those being nights has me worn out. I am eating like crap again too since they are buying our meals and they are all shit food. Yes I could bring my own meal in and eat healthy but I have no willpower when it comes to that lol. From now to the 27th I will probably run 2 times then go right back to where I was prior to this outage. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • I did a 15K run this morning, but I seemed to have strained something in my inner thigh. It hurts alot when I am getting up or when I bend over. Guess I'll have to take it easy for a few days and see if it gets better.
  • GlowGirl said:
    bbiggs said:
    I started looking into that as well. I have never run outside in the winter. I found this chart from Runner's World that I copied. It is common sense, but nice to have it spelled out for me. I actually ordered a Nike long sleeve tech shirt from Amazon yesterday to make sure the size is good before I order a few more. I already have short sleeve ones, but haven't really needed the long sleeves. This year I will for sure.

What to Wear Running in the Cold

Still wondering what you should wear? You can use our clever What to Wear tool, or use this quick guide.

• 60+ degrees: tank top and shorts
    • 50–59 degrees: short sleeve tech shirt and shorts
    • 40–49 degrees: long sleeve tech shirt, shorts or tights, gloves (optional), headband to cover ears (optional)
    • 30–39 degrees: long sleeve tech shirt, shorts or tights, gloves, and headband to cover ears
    • 20–29 degrees: two shirts layered—a long sleeve tech shirt and a short sleeve tech shirt or long sleeve shirt and jacket—tights, gloves, and headband or hat to cover ears
    • 10–19 degrees: two shirts layered, tights, gloves or mittens, headband or hat, and windbreaker jacket/pants
    • 0–9 degrees: two shirts layered, tights, windbreaker jacket/pants, mittens, headband or hat, ski mask to cover face

Thanks for posting this, need to stock up on some gear for the fall/winter 
    Ankle is fuckasaurased tonight.  
    Hope your strained muscle heals quickly Newfie

I'm gonna give my ankle the best medicine I can give....some vodka, ice and elevation.  

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

I'm gonna give my ankle the best medicine I can give....some vodka, ice and elevation.  

Topically or....?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

Easy on the ice. 
  • Ankle is fuckasaurased tonight.  

I'm on beer, ice and elevation.

Hope your ankle gets better quickly. 
    All this talk of vodka and beer, I might have to marinate some ice cubes after my run tonight as well. Hope everyone heals up quickly. 

Topically or....?
    And waste good vodka?!  Lol

Pre-drinks
    10 mins with a pile of ice straight on until it wouldn't stay and then 15 in an ice bath after filling with water.

Always crazy at how much a simple ice bath can pain you the first few minutes.

• crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    edited August 2020
    Never been a runner, never ran more than 5Ks here and there, and that's only because my job requires it. A few weeks ago, I was deployed and we were "quarantined" within a 3-mile fence along a dirt road; not allowed to leave base. Nothing to do within that fence. At all. Out of boredom one day, as I was ending a 12-hr overnight shift wired on Red Bull, I told a co-worker who is a huge runner, I think I have enough in me to run a half marathon. I was just bullshitting. He said, "Dude, you can't just decide to run a half marathon after work. You have to prep for that. Especially... Especially! if you've never done it." That just hit me the wrong way and I pretty much said, watch me. Got off work, ate a light breakfast, let the food settle, and the Red Bull die so I don't get a heart attack running, and I just went for it. Well.. my co-worker was right. Lol I didn't get to 13.1, I was slow as hell, but I've never felt so accomplished after running.

Not to make excuses, but during my run, it went from 75° to 88° and the sun was out. I think even if it was just overcast, I would've made it. 1.6 miles left, I basically just decided there's a difference between being motivated and being stupid, because I started getting light-headed so I stopped and walked the rest (stopped my tracker though to not hurt the average Lol).

Post edited by crookedcross on
    Impressive!
    Damn!  From no running at all to jumping off the couch and running 11+ miles is beyond impressive.  Bravo!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Wow! I'm guessing you're otherwise fit and active, unless you just hit the genetic jackpot.

But seeing the overlapping rectangles in that plain block and thinking about the utter boredom that must have entailed is almost painful ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf