Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,611
    edited September 2020
    Well I don't have a lot of hair left so am hat friendly.  I do have hair and it does get sweaty - need to wash the hat every week for sure.  I wear a head cap made for winter so that it covers my ears and has slots for the sunglasses to fit.  Put my running cap over sometimes, sometimes I don't.

If you have a full bushy head of hair I guess I might try headbands, but those will get nasty and need to be washed anyway 
    I've never worn a standard winter hat.  Have seen people running with them on, though.

I have a brand that I buy through Amazon....Baleaf 
    I have a few different ones.  None are raingear but light water doesn't bother and they are warm when running.  If raining hard I would just put my columbia shell on.
    Baleaf is great.  Their stuff lasts as long as Nike or UA and is half price.  Their shirts are more comfortable, I think.  Their shirts are good but most of the running shorts are good as well.  When washing over and over the Nike shit fades and the logo comes off....Balaef looks like new.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,811
    Cold weather gear (old woman with Raynaud's and no body fat here!). Note that my runs generally are at least an hour. I've run regularly -- daily -- for the past thirteen years, 40-65 miles/week.

-- Smartwool socks -- my feet turn to blocks of ice with standard running socks.
    -- "hot hands" hand warmers
    -- mittens are better than gloves for hand warmth, but BEST, IMO, are the convertible gloves with the top that flips back to reveal partial gloves (so you can grab your lip balm, car keys, whatever)

-- polar fleece tights; I buy from Athleta, but I'm sure other places sell them too. They wick away sweat (so you will look down and wonder why your legs are covered with frost, LOL)
    -- if you plan to run in windy winter conditions (ugh) a windbreaker is key (the wind will suck the heat right out of you, and hypothermia is no fun); you also might want to look for tights with Gore-tex panels. Those are pricy, so make sure you are committed to running in truly sucky weather before buying.
    -- Compression base-layer shirt
    -- I prefer earbands to hats, because I'm female and ponytails are always in the way with hats.
    -- cotton kills; just don't wear it when running (in heat or cold!)

Also, of course, "cold weather" varies by region. The above gear is for the Midwest and Northeast. I'm back in San Diego now, where winter gear is leggings, long-sleeved shirt, and, for me, lightweight gloves. And a vest, if it's damp and I'm heading to the beach.
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I am in NYC so it can get cold in the winter. I will run outside as long as I can before I take it inside to the treadmill. I had been running only on a treadmill for the past few years until the pandemic sent me running outside - which I really like. So, want to keep it outside for as long as I can stand it. So, I still need to get the socks, mittens, headband, and perhaps a windbreaker. I already have some pretty good coldgear tights from Under Armour. I am not sure I will run outside if the weather is cold enough to require polar fleece. But never say never.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,537
    GlowGirl said:
    Cold weather gear (old woman with Raynaud's and no body fat here!). Note that my runs generally are at least an hour. I've run regularly -- daily -- for the past thirteen years, 40-65 miles/week.

-- Smartwool socks -- my feet turn to blocks of ice with standard running socks.
    -- mittens are better than gloves for hand warmth, but BEST, IMO, are the convertible gloves with the top that flips back to reveal partial gloves (so you can grab your lip balm, car keys, whatever)

-- polar fleece tights; I buy from Athleta, but I'm sure other places sell them too. They wick away sweat (so you will look down and wonder why your legs are covered with frost, LOL)
    -- if you plan to run in windy winter conditions (ugh) a windbreaker is key (the wind will suck the heat right out of you, and hypothermia is no fun); you also might want to look for tights with Gore-tex panels. Those are pricy, so make sure you are committed to running in truly sucky weather before buying.
    -- I prefer earbands to hats, because I'm female and ponytails are always in the way with hats.

Also, of course, "cold weather" varies by region. The above gear is for the Midwest and Northeast. I'm back in San Diego now, where winter gear is leggings, long-sleeved shirt, and, for me, lightweight gloves. And a vest, if it's damp and I'm heading to the beach.
    Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I am in NYC so it can get cold in the winter. I will run outside as long as I can before I take it inside to the treadmill. I had been running only on a treadmill for the past few years until the pandemic sent me running outside - which I really like. So, want to keep it outside for as long as I can stand it. So, I still need to get the socks, mittens, headband, and perhaps a windbreaker. I already have some pretty good coldgear tights from Under Armour. I am not sure I will run outside if the weather is cold enough to require polar fleece. But never say never.

Layering is important.
    But more importantly is good weather protection.
    Try and find a good, lightweight, water and rain proof but breathable jacket with a hood. 3 layer with taped seams.
    Then try and find windproof tights with a thin fleece layer. When you are running you don't need a lot to keep warm once your body is warmed up.
    I've  run many times in sub-zero conditions but with the right gear I was plenty warm.
    Too much gear and you sweat and that will chill your body.
    For your head a head/hat liner with a running specific hat will do the trick.

For very cold and snow or wet conditions a good pair of fog free glasses or goggles are necessary  as well.
  • Don’t run in the cold without a toque! 
    What do you call them in the States again? Knitted Caps? Lol
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    About shoes: if you're new to all of this and aren't sure which shoe works for you, it makes sense to see if there's a running-shoe store near you (e.g. Fleet Feet, Runner's High -- NOT Dick's). A specialty store is more likely to employ actual runners, and they will know more about the shoes. It helps to bring your current running shoes with you -- wear patterns on the soles can tell you a lot.

Once you find a shoe that works for you, you can order additional pairs online or pick them up wherever, but starting at a running store will save you time, pain and money.

Running shoes generally are good for 300-500 miles. You can prolong their lifespan a bit by rotating them, meaning that if you are running every day, keep two pairs of shoes on-hand so the first pair has a chance to dry before you wear them again.

I tend to have a rotation of 4-5 pairs of shoes, because I have some for speedwork, others for long runs, and a pair of trail/beach shoes. But if you're just getting started, there is no need to acquire a pile of shoes. I also stock up when last year's model goes on sale. If I'm going through five pairs/ year, saving $30/pair adds up.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,611
    GlowGirl said:

Layering is important.
    Try and find a good, lightweight, water and rain proof but breathable jacket with a hood. 3 layer with taped seams.
    Then try and find windproof tights with a thin fleece layer. When you are running you don't need a lot to keep warm once your body is warmed up.
    I've  run many times in sub-zero conditions but with the right gear I was plenty warm.

For very cold and snow or wet conditions a good pair of fog free glasses or goggles are necessary  as well.
    You have run in below zero F weather?

That is commitment!

GlowGirl said:

Layering is important.

That is commitment!

There is no bad weather

Just bad gear
    GlowGirl said:

Layering is important.

That is commitment!

There is no bad weather

Just bad gear
    Wow.  Good on you!
    Having grown up in VT I handle the cold very well....but there are times when people are not meant to be outdoors for any period of time, imo.  :)
    Love the attitude & approach, though!
    I've found that that maxim has changed with time/ age, LOL. We would go to winter trail runs, there would be young guys (high school/college) in tanks, shorts, hat and gloves, a foot of snow on the ground. Good for them!

But I have little insulation and wonky circulation, which isn't getting any better with time, so I find that I get to a point where so much gear is required to maintain my core temperature that it's just not worth it. But, kudos to those who can get out in it, whatever the weather.

And a solitary run in a gentle snow, right at about 30 degrees, big fluffy flakes, can be VERY nice.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    Well I don't have a lot of hair left so am hat friendly.  I do have hair and it does get sweaty - need to wash the hat every week for sure.  I wear a head cap made for winter so that it covers my ears and has slots for the sunglasses to fit.  Put my running cap over sometimes, sometimes I don't.

If you have a full bushy head of hair I guess I might try headbands, but those will get nasty and need to be washed anyway 
    I've never worn a standard winter hat.  Have seen people running with them on, though.

I have a few different ones.  None are raingear but light water doesn't bother and they are warm when running.  If raining hard I would just put my columbia shell on.
    Baleaf is great.  Their stuff lasts as long as Nike or UA and is half price.  Their shirts are more comfortable, I think.  Their shirts are good but most of the running shorts are good as well.  When washing over and over the Nike shit fades and the logo comes off....Balaef looks like new.
    Thanks. I just checked out Baleaf. Their prices are certainly more reasonable than what I have bought at Nike and Under Armour. I recently bought a Nike dri-fit hoodie for $75. It looks like Baleaf has something similar for $29.99. I already have a Columbia rain jacket. But saw a Baleaf windbreaker that might be good. I think right now I have enough gear to get me through the Fall - except for gloves and the headband. I might need those if it is cold in the mornings. Do any of you use neck gaiters when running. My issue with running in the cold is breathing in the cold air. That really hurts my throat and ears. Do neck gaiters help with that. Of course, masks may help with that as well.

GlowGirl said:

Thanks. I just checked out Baleaf. Their prices are certainly more reasonable than what I have bought at Nike and Under Armour. I recently bought a Nike dri-fit hoodie for $75. It looks like Baleaf has something similar for $29.99. I already have a Columbia rain jacket. But saw a Baleaf windbreaker that might be good. I think right now I have enough gear to get me through the Fall - except for gloves and the headband. I might need those if it is cold in the mornings. Do any of you use neck gaiters when running. My issue with running in the cold is breathing in the cold air. That really hurts my throat and ears. Do neck gaiters help with that. Of course, masks may help with that as well.

Always check reviews and specs on "waterproof and windproof" gear to find out if they do what they are supposed to do and if they are breathable.
    If not breathable then you might as well go without.
    15 miles.  Check.  Made it mile 9 before things hurt.  Slow times but I don't much care about that....longest distance - just complete and not be injured. 
    Need to get on a stretching routine.  My legs hate me right about now.  :lol:.  
    I do like that at 6am I was already in a lather and a good 6+ miles in.  When I think of how many times I was just going to bed at 6am on a Saturday morning.....well, maybe those days were better!  ;)

15 miles.  Check.  Made it mile 9 before things hurt.  Slow times but I don't much care about that....longest distance - just complete and not be injured. 
    I do like that at 6am I was already in a lather and a good 6+ miles in.  When I think of how many times I was just going to bed at 6am on a Saturday morning.....well, maybe those days were better!  ;)

I ignored stretching for far too long. My body won't let me ignore it any longer. My trainer recommended that I do yoga twice a week. I'm not a "yoga chick," but I definitely feel better if I take the time to a basic flow and some yin poses 2x/week and do a bit each morning. It's cheaper than a massage, and safer right now, too.

Sounds like you had an amazing run this morning. I also remember the days where I would make sure to bring my sunglasses with me when I went out at night since it was sure to be light out when I finally got home. Of course we also didn’t even leave to go out until at least midnight. Those days were awesome. 
    edited September 2020
    Today was great weather here for running. I did 6.6 miles. My furthest run so far. I felt like I maybe could have done 7 but didn’t want to overdue it. I ran a bit further south along the East River and had this view for a while. 
    @curmudgeoness.  Good info...need to look at what I want to do but know if is needed.

GG, I like your view there.  Props on your pr today!

My shit hurts - looking forward to hot tubbing a few times today.
    edited September 2020
    @curmudgeoness.  Good info...need to look at what I want to do but know if is needed.

GG, I like your view there.  Props on your pr today!

My shit hurts - looking forward to hot tubbing a few times today.
    Sorry about your pain. Yoga can help. I have been doing 90 minute yoga sessions 1-2 times a week for 9 years. I think it has helped me tremendously in terms of my flexibility, balance, and metal stamina. I credit it for the fact that my joints are in pretty good shape. Of course, I am not running as many miles as you are. But either way incorporating stretching or yoga poses can help. Enjoy the hot tub. I am jealous of that. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
    Yeah it isn't bad I'm just whining.  Thanks & this is our last weekend with the pool and hot tub open - gonna miss the soaking.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,727

Nicely done! I tried to run once after my 11 mile run and 30 secs in I had to pull up due to my left hamstring hurting. I have been stretching it the last couple of days but it is not getting better. Very frustrating. I might dial back the distance when I can run again and push the pace a bit more. 
    Good luck, hope things loosen up.
    GlowGirl said:
    Today was great weather here for running. I did 6.6 miles. My furthest run so far. I felt like I maybe could have done 7 but didn’t want to overdue it. I ran a bit further south along the East River and had this view for a while. 

Nice view -- and nice clean air! West Coast air leaves a lot to be desired right now. :-(  It's not as bad here (San DIego) as it is in points north, but the air here does look like old pics of LA in the 60's. :-( 

PJNB said:

Nicely done! I tried to run once after my 11 mile run and 30 secs in I had to pull up due to my left hamstring hurting. I have been stretching it the last couple of days but it is not getting better. Very frustrating. I might dial back the distance when I can run again and push the pace a bit more. 

Random thoughts, meant in the spirit of helpfulness, not trying to insult anyone's intelligence: Everything is connected, so foam-rolling your glutes, IT band, calves *might* help the hamstring issue. Your comment about distance v. pace caught my eye: I used to try to slow down y pace when I had little twinges and pains here and there; after far too long, I realized that, lumbering along at an "easy jog" pace, my form would get very sloppy. I actually felt better and had better form (and thus fewer sore spots) when I ran faster, even if that meant shorter runs. So I think you could be on to something there! Hope it clears up.
    Random comment on choosing running shoes, after reading some shoe reviews on the Brooks website: Trying on a new kind of shoe in  person always is best. BUT, if you're shopping online, set filters to select the kind of shoe that fits your needs! It sounds obvious (I hope), but I've read too many reviews of racing shoes that say "I hate these shoes! After walking in them for just 90 minutes, my feet hurt! They offer no support!" -- and of walking shoes that say "Very comfortable, but I wore them for my half-marathon and I was so slow! These shoes are too heavy!"

Lightweight, speed shoes are not meant for people doing 15+-mile training runs, nor are they meant for health-care workers and others who are on their feet all day. And those plush, supportive shoes will feel like cinder blocks strapped to your ankles if you wear them to a race or try to run intervals in them.

If you're just getting started, go with a standard training shoe that's appropriate for your BMI and your gait, that doesn't cause you knee or ankle pain.
    GlowGirl said:

Nice view -- and nice clean air! West Coast air leaves a lot to be desired right now. :-(  It's not as bad here (San DIego) as it is in points north, but the air here does look like old pics of LA in the 60's. :-( 

I feel so bad for all of you out West who are struggling with the fires and the air quality. My friend in Seattle sent me a photo on Saturday when I took this photo. The contrast between the clear blue sky in NYC and his photo of the brownish orange sky in Seattle was heartbreaking. Stay safe out there.

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
    Jogging has been around for a long time. It's basically just running slowly. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Darn long sleeves went on for the first time since Pre-Pandemic. 

It was fine, still had other normal gear on but 47 degrees with high humidity (which is not what you want no matter hot nor cold) of 97% can suck it

Sure I will wish for this in a month.  

And so it goes.  7 miles this morning and foot is in a bucket of ice.

Darn long sleeves went on for the first time since Pre-Pandemic. 

It was fine, still had other normal gear on but 47 degrees with high humidity (which is not what you want no matter hot nor cold) of 97% can suck it

Sure I will wish for this in a month.  

And so it goes.  7 miles this morning and foot is in a bucket of ice.

Hope your foot (ankle?) is feeling better. I did 5 miles today. I got out later than you did so it was around 59 degrees. I wore shorts and a short sleeve shirt - instead of a tank top. But by the middle of the run I realized that a tank top probably would have been just fine. The humidity here seemed ok for me.

Enjoy your beef stew tonight. That sounds amazing.

Thanks.  Ankle is still wrong but I can still run.  I hurt it again last night showing the 6 year old how to shoot a fade away whole playing pool basketball.  I didn't really injure it more but it hurt when I did it, shows me it is still messed up and that without the brace on when I flex it way up or down that it can be painful.

Glad you got out when it was warmer.
    Is it crowded when you are out running?

Hope the ankle feels better soon. When I get down to the East River it doesn't feel too crowded since the path is really wide. On most days there is enough room for people to run, walk, and bike. It is more crowded on the weekends, but still ok. But, running down to get there from my apartment through the NYC streets can get crowded on some blocks. I often end up running in the street facing the flow of traffic, and that seems to work if the sidewalks are busy.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,214
    Went for a 13 mile sprint this morning. Fuck jogging. Sprinting is where it's at, losers. 
    chinese-happy.jpg