***Petition: PJ, Please Play A Tragically Hip Song In Ottawa***

Comments

• GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,099
    Fifty Mission Cap 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 234
    Blow at high dough or 38 years old.

[img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    watching Jeff on Instagram live and he answered my question "big Hip fan?" with "huge Tragically Hip fan". 

LET'S GET THIS BACK TO THE TOP
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    watching Jeff on Instagram live and he answered my question "big Hip fan?" with "huge Tragically Hip fan". 

Cool! :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DrELO39gGo

:)
    Bump! The last Hip show was 5 years ago today. :( 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    demetrios said:
    Wow 5 years already. That is insane. I still watch that full concert occasionally. Amazing show and band. 
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    Such a great band
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,395
    edited August 2021
    I took my daughter to hear them when she used to live in my tummy. 
    PJNB said:
    demetrios said:
    Wow 5 years already. That is insane. I still watch that full concert occasionally. Amazing show and band. 

We do the same too.
    seems like a good time to resurrect this thread. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Glad I got to go to one of the finals shows. Let’s get it done at each Canadian show. Such an underrated band that should’ve been bigger in America than they were 
    Glad I got to go to one of the finals shows. Let’s get it done at each Canadian show. Such an underrated band that should’ve been bigger in America than they were 
    yeah, I was at the winnipeg show. incredible show. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    Glad I got to go to one of the finals shows. Let’s get it done at each Canadian show. Such an underrated band that should’ve been bigger in America than they were 
    *whispers* I was at the Kingston show. I am a very lucky individual.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
    NWOntario said:
    no question about it. with victoria being a close second to that one (because of such a small capacity show)
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• KICK7071KICK7071 In My Tree, ON Posts: 712
    Cordelia
    Last of The Unplucked Gems
    Long Time Runnin
    Toronto 10-05-2000 / Toronto 06-28-2003 / Toronto 09-19-2005 / Toronto 05-09-2006 / Buffalo 05-10-2010 / Toronto 09-11-2011 /
    Hamilton 09-15-2011 / London - Canada 07-16-2013 / Buffalo 10-12-2013 / Ottawa 05-08-2016 / Toronto 05-10-2016 / Toronto 05-12-2016
    Amsterdam 06-12-2018 / Amsterdam 06-13-2018 / Chicago 08-18-2018 / Boston 09-02-2018 / Boston 09-04-2018 / Quebec City 09-01-2022 / Ottawa 09-03-2022 / Hamilton 09-06-2022 / Toronto 09-08-2022 / New York City 09-11-2022 / Chicago 09-05-2023 / Chicago 09-07-2023 / Austin 09-18-2023 / Austin 09-19-2023
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Yes!
  • DukeSpiritDukeSpirit Posts: 278
    I'd love to hear them do something like Leave or Membership.

Or play poets and have the roof blow off the arena. 
    NWOntario said:
    no question about it. with victoria being a close second to that one (because of such a small capacity show)
    I got really lucky on the last tour and made it to five shows - Kingston, Calgary #1 and all three nights in Toronto. Each of them was spectacular. One of my all-time enduring memories as a music fan was the last song of Toronto #2, which was ABAC: I remember looking up and across from me to the back of section 306 and realizing that literally every single person inside the ACC was on their feet and just SCREAMING the words to the song. It was a stunning moment. Fuck, I miss that band.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
    NWOntario said:
    NWOntario said:
    I got really lucky on the last tour and made it to five shows - Kingston, Calgary #1 and all three nights in Toronto. Each of them was spectacular. One of my all-time enduring memories as a music fan was the last song of Toronto #2, which was ABAC: I remember looking up and across from me to the back of section 306 and realizing that literally every single person inside the ACC was on their feet and just SCREAMING the words to the song. It was a stunning moment. Fuck, I miss that band.
    me too. And I regrettably took them for granted for a really long time. after seeing them a bunch of times in the mid 90's, when they came around I would often just not bother going to the show. I think it was the ticket prices that shot up when they got really big. I remember thinking it was ludicrous they were playing here for 4 nights on the We Are The Same tour at like $100 a pop. So I didn't go to any of them. 

No idea why I didn't go see them on the In Violet Light tour. I love that album. 

one of my bigger regrets is not being able to convince a buddy of mine to go check them out on the Fully Completely full album anniversary tour in Minneapolis. they were playing a 700 seat club. He wouldn't do it. man that would have been incredible. 

I think I only saw them 7 times. Which is pretty bad considering how many times they played here. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

NWOntario said:
    NWOntario said:
    me too. And I regrettably took them for granted for a really long time. after seeing them a bunch of times in the mid 90's, when they came around I would often just not bother going to the show. I think it was the ticket prices that shot up when they got really big. I remember thinking it was ludicrous they were playing here for 4 nights on the We Are The Same tour at like $100 a pop. So I didn't go to any of them. 

No idea why I didn't go see them on the In Violet Light tour. I love that album. 

one of my bigger regrets is not being able to convince a buddy of mine to go check them out on the Fully Completely full album anniversary tour in Minneapolis. they were playing a 700 seat club. He wouldn't do it. man that would have been incredible. 

I think I only saw them 7 times. Which is pretty bad considering how many times they played here. 
    I spent a lot of time in the 2010s complaining about the band's setlists. What I would do to see the blandest, most paint-by-numbers Hip show now. It's why you'll never hear me complain about Pearl Jam's setlists (or about how long it's taking to announce the rescheduled dates, for that matter).

That said: I saw two IVL shows and three WATS shows, including one at the Banff Centre for the Arts. That was neat. The next show was in Calgary - it was my only time hearing "Thugs" (my favourite Hip song) live, and the show ended with Gord standing on the seat next to us singing "Blow at High Dough." I saw the Hold Steady the next night; I actually met Gord outside the show. And I have zero recollections from that concert because I was still in such a daze from the Hip. When they were on, man, they were on.
    NWOntario said:
    NWOntario said:
    NWOntario said:

I spent a lot of time in the 2010s complaining about the band's setlists. What I would do to see the blandest, most paint-by-numbers Hip show now. It's why you'll never hear me complain about Pearl Jam's setlists (or about how long it's taking to announce the rescheduled dates, for that matter).

That said: I saw two IVL shows and three WATS shows, including one at the Banff Centre for the Arts. That was neat. The next show was in Calgary - it was my only time hearing "Thugs" (my favourite Hip song) live, and the show ended with Gord standing on the seat next to us singing "Blow at High Dough." I saw the Hold Steady the next night; I actually met Gord outside the show. And I have zero recollections from that concert because I was still in such a daze from the Hip. When they were on, man, they were on.
    that was just it. It bothered the shit out of me that every single show was a greatest hits setlist, when they had SO many good songs they could play that even a casual fan would know. And so many of my friends who would go see them in the 90's turned into "oh, they have a new album out? HOW much are tickets? no thanks". 

In 2004 for IBE I was row 6 on the floor, the closest I'd ever been at ANY show up to the point, and my god, being that close to someone like Gord completely changes the live experience. 

They played Thugs when I saw them in 1995. I have that boot. It's funny. I have this debate with other hip fans; I think DFN is better than FC as a full album. I fucking LOVE DFN. I don't play FC that often. Maybe the songs are so overplayed on the radio. Not sure. But man I love DFN.

And they played Pigeon Camera in 2016. I have that boot too. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

They played Thugs when I saw them in 1995. I have that boot. It's funny. I have this debate with other hip fans; I think DFN is better than FC as a full album. I fucking LOVE DFN. I don't play FC that often. Maybe the songs are so overplayed on the radio. Not sure. But man I love DFN.
    I don't even think that's a debatable point. Fully Completely is great, but Day for Night is on a whole different plane, as far as I'm concerned. It's brilliant. The So Hard Done By/Nautical Disaster/Thugs stretch is, imo, the highlight of the Hip's entire recorded catalogue, and I say that with great respect to so many other brilliant stretches on their albums. 

On a related note: in the fall my wife and I went to the Kootenays for two weeks of work remote/rnr, and when we were in Golden, we paid homage to the former Golden Rim Motor Inn. It's a Days Inn now, but we drove there, sat in the parking lot, listened to "The Luxury" and left. No regrets.
  • GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,507
    edited March 2022
    NWOntario said:

I don't even think that's a debatable point. Fully Completely is great, but Day for Night is on a whole different plane, as far as I'm concerned. It's brilliant. The So Hard Done By/Nautical Disaster/Thugs stretch is, imo, the highlight of the Hip's entire recorded catalogue, and I say that with great respect to so many other brilliant stretches on their albums. 

On a related note: in the fall my wife and I went to the Kootenays for two weeks of work remote/rnr, and when we were in Golden, we paid homage to the former Golden Rim Motor Inn. It's a Days Inn now, but we drove there, sat in the parking lot, listened to "The Luxury" and left. No regrets.
    YES. Actual masterpiece. I could listen to The first 10 tracks of DFN about 300 times in a row and not tire of it.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• yeah Day for Night is ok I guess..

(2000) Mansfield I, Mansfield II (2003) Montreal (2005) Montreal, Ottawa (2006) Albany (2008) Montreal I + II (EV) (2022) Québec City

Yes please!