Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited July 2020

You're making progress!

Congrats to everyone keeping up with running despite the heat.

Unable to cycle recently so I've been alternating walking and running, since I think I'll be in trouble if I run every day. Yesterday should have been a run day but I wasn't feeling well so just walked. Today, though!
    When you cycle do you ride on trails or the pavement? I would imagine trails in bc would be intense!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

• You're making progress!

Unable to cycle recently so I've been alternating walking and running, since I think I'll be in trouble if I run every day. Yesterday should have been a run day but I wasn't feeling well so just walked. Today, though!
    @oftenreading walking is cool too... go SC :)
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mcgruff10 said:

You're making progress!

When you cycle do you ride on trails or the pavement? I would imagine trails in bc would be intense!

If by trails you mean mountain biking, then no, not often. I use my bike for all sorts of things and, except for this two week period, I'm on it almost every day. I commute to work on my bike, do most of my errands on my bike, and also ride for fun on the weekends. A good chunk of my commute is along a multi-use trail that is mostly dirt/gravel, so my bike gets pretty grubby. Riding for errands and shopping is usually on the roads, and riding for fun depends on where I want to go, but we've got a pretty good network of cycle trails and paths. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,297

Nice run. I refuse to run after 9am right now due to the heat
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

Heat... We had 16 degrees celcius (60 farenheit...?) and rain :) 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Save the slug! Save the slug!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694

After the last week of running in the heat and humidity, running in the rain would seem like a dream come true. By the way, you are making great progress. I am glad to see you are keeping this up. How does it feel? Is it getting easier for you?

Ran 10 k this morning; very lucky that we do not deal with high humidity or even much heat where I live. I think it was about 15oC at the time I ran.

The sountrack to my run was most of Talking Heads amazing concert Stop Making Sense, which showcases not only the genius that is David Byrne but also how tight that band was. Great musicians, and oooooh the percussion! I listened to the bulk of the songs, skipping Heaven (too slow), Found a Job (never really liked it - oh well, they can't all be gems), and the boring interlude by the Tom Tom Club. Great music to run to, high energy and so much going on that it's never boring.

If you've never seen the concert, I highly recommend it. I think this link should work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xL7Ilh1DFI

If you only have time to watch/listen to one song, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFS2oz-i3Ik
    GlowGirl said:
    After the last week of running in the heat and humidity, running in the rain would seem like a dream come true. By the way, you are making great progress. I am glad to see you are keeping this up. How does it feel? Is it getting easier for you?

I guess so... I mean..It's only been a few weeks, and I'm only been out twice a week... trying to take it nice and slow... 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Glad you had a good run!
    Off day today but 8 miles tomorrow morning.  Out early before the humidity and heat get too high.

Thinking it is a Faith No More running day but it could be back to my old standby mix, Run #1
    Includes:
    Metallica - 5 songs
    Rage Against the Machine- 3 songs
    Wolfmother - 3 songs
    Alice in Chains - 2
    Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - 2
    Soundgarden
    Paramore
    Arctic Monkeys
    Cinderella
    Faith no More
    Judas Priest
    Primus
    Ozzy
    Motley Crue
    Pearl Jam (Severed Hand is the one PJ on this mix)
    Mr Bungle
    Fugazi
    Muse

A weird mix of those but mostly fast / driving songs.

Talking Heads is awesome music but not for running, for me.

You are faster than I am, so perhaps I should listen to Talking Heads tomorrow after all!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Glad you had a good run!
    Off day today but 8 miles tomorrow morning.  Out early before the humidity and heat get too high.

Thinking it is a Faith No More running day but it could be back to my old standby mix, Run #1
    Includes:
    Metallica - 5 songs
    Wolfmother - 3 songs
    Alice in Chains - 2
    Soundgarden
    Paramore
    Arctic Monkeys
    Cinderella
    Faith no More
    Judas Priest
    Primus
    Ozzy
    Motley Crue
    Mr Bungle
    Fugazi
    Muse

You are faster than I am, so perhaps I should listen to Talking Heads tomorrow after all!

Our music tastes differ somewhat, but THs works for me. Your mileage may vary :lol: - and probably does!

As an aside, I watched the crowd in the brief pan during Slippery People (link above) and holy FSM but those people are SITTING DOWN! How the hell could anyone sit down during a TH concert, particularly during Slippery People? One of the reasons why it's great to run to - I can't help but move while listening to it. 
    edited July 2020
    Glad you had a good run!

Includes:
    Metallica - 5 songs
    Wolfmother - 3 songs
    Alice in Chains - 2
    Soundgarden
    Paramore
    Arctic Monkeys
    Cinderella
    Faith no More
    Judas Priest
    Primus
    Ozzy
    Motley Crue
    Mr Bungle
    Fugazi
    Muse

I ran yesterday, so took the day off. Tomorrow is a running day. My running list varies. I like a lot of fast hard driving rock to motivate me. But sometimes, I can listen to the Grateful Dead and get into the droning noodling. I also will sometimes put on 90's dance music, like the Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, New Order, Leftfield - and pretend I am tired out from dancing at a rave, rather than running in the streets. Lately, I have been listening to all of Gigaton about once a week when I run. I am going to know those songs inside and out when we finally see them live.

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Glad you had a good run!

Includes:
    Metallica - 5 songs
    Wolfmother - 3 songs
    Alice in Chains - 2
    Soundgarden
    Paramore
    Arctic Monkeys
    Cinderella
    Faith no More
    Judas Priest
    Primus
    Ozzy
    Motley Crue
    Mr Bungle
    Fugazi
    Muse

Our music tastes differ somewhat, but THs works for me. Your mileage may vary :lol: - and probably does!

As an aside, I watched the crowd in the brief pan during Slippery People (link above) and holy FSM but those people are SITTING DOWN! How the hell could anyone sit down during a TH concert, particularly during Slippery People? One of the reasons why it's great to run to - I can't help but move while listening to it. 
    Makes sense!
    GlowGirl said:
    Glad you had a good run!

Includes:
    Metallica - 5 songs
    Wolfmother - 3 songs
    Alice in Chains - 2
    Soundgarden
    Paramore
    Arctic Monkeys
    Cinderella
    Faith no More
    Judas Priest
    Primus
    Ozzy
    Motley Crue
    Mr Bungle
    Fugazi
    Muse

I ran yesterday, so took the day off. Tomorrow is a running day. My running list varies. I like a lot of fast hard driving rock to motivate me. But sometimes, I can listen to the Grateful Dead and get into the droning noodling. I also will sometimes put on 90's dance music, like the Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, New Order, Leftfield - and pretend I am tired out from dancing at a rave, rather than running in the streets. Lately, I have been listening to all of Gigaton about once a week when I run. I am going to know those songs inside and out when we finally see them live.

I can have the first four songs from Gigaton on when running but would have to switch from there.  Too slow/boring 
    Not just for running, either, that remains my take on the record.
    Glad you had a good run!

Includes:
    Metallica - 5 songs
    Wolfmother - 3 songs
    Alice in Chains - 2
    Soundgarden
    Paramore
    Arctic Monkeys
    Cinderella
    Faith no More
    Judas Priest
    Primus
    Ozzy
    Motley Crue
    Mr Bungle
    Fugazi
    Muse

Makes sense!

Oh, stop :lol:
    GlowGirl said:
    Glad you had a good run!

Includes:
    Metallica - 5 songs
    Wolfmother - 3 songs
    Alice in Chains - 2
    Soundgarden
    Paramore
    Arctic Monkeys
    Cinderella
    Faith no More
    Judas Priest
    Primus
    Ozzy
    Motley Crue
    Mr Bungle
    Fugazi
    Muse

I can have the first four songs from Gigaton on when running but would have to switch from there.  Too slow/boring 
    Agreed that a lot of them aren't great running songs, but I like listening to most of them. It's funny because when I am not running I often skip Buckle Up. But for some reason it is kind of a good running song in that lulling plodding way. I can zone out to it. There are two kinds of songs I like when running - the fast hard driving songs that motivate me, and the more droning songs that I can zone out to. I usually like those towards the end of my run. Pink Floyd is good for that as well. Whatever works, right?

GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    Glad you had a good run!

Includes:
    Metallica - 5 songs
    Wolfmother - 3 songs
    Alice in Chains - 2
    Soundgarden
    Paramore
    Arctic Monkeys
    Cinderella
    Faith no More
    Judas Priest
    Primus
    Ozzy
    Motley Crue
    Mr Bungle
    Fugazi
    Muse

Agreed that a lot of them aren't great running songs, but I like listening to most of them. It's funny because when I am not running I often skip Buckle Up. But for some reason it is kind of a good running song in that lulling plodding way. I can zone out to it. There are two kinds of songs I like when running - the fast hard driving songs that motivate me, and the more droning songs that I can zone out to. I usually like those towards the end of my run. Pink Floyd is good for that as well. Whatever works, right?

I have to have the fast, driving songs at the end to keep me motivated to keep up the pace when I’m tired. For that reason, I’m usually playing Whipping some time in the last ten minutes of my run. 
    Whatever it takes and Whipping for sure would make a good add to a playlist for running.
    Whatever it takes and Whipping for sure would make a good add to a playlist for running.
  • F Me I like like your running playlist 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited July 2020
    Sunday morning will be the first 8 mile run of my life. It’s also the halfway-point in our training to run a half marathon in October. 
    I’m averaging between 9:50 -10:30 a mile on shorter runs and just under 11:00 miles on the long runs. This training program I found online has been excellent. Steady progress with no injuries.  I’m not worried about speed at all (you get faster naturally with time) but the10:30 mile pace is very comfortable to me on the 3-4 mile runs early in the week. Very happy and for the first time in my life I am enjoying running (the improvement in shoe technology has a lot to do with that) 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
    Sunday morning will be the first 8 mile run of my life. It’s also the halfway-point in our training to run a half marathon in October. 
    I’m averaging between 9:50 -10:30 a mile on shorter runs and just under 11:00 miles on the long runs. This training program I found online has been excellent. Steady progress with no injuries.  I’m not worried about speed at all (you get faster naturally with time) but the10:30 mile pace is very comfortable to me on the 3-4 mile runs early in the week. Very happy and for the first time in my life I am enjoying running (the improvement in shoe technology has a lot to do with that) 

That's great!
    Hal Higdon (whose books/training I follow) suggests that your long runs can be 60-90 seconds slower than your race pace, so it sounds like you are right on with that.

One thing I am curious about - what does your program say to do for liquid and food intake as the runs start to get longer?

If I know I'm going to be over am hour I eat gel packs as I go.  This morning for the 8 miles I popped one with caffeine at around 3.5 miles and a second without caffeine at 5.5 miles.
    Was wishing for some water with how humid and hot it is out so next Saturday I will carry something to drink a bit of.  

A lesson I took from the half I ran last year was to drink Gatorade vs water and to drink more.  I was trying to hold off and just drink small amounts of water every few miles and take the energy from the gel packs but I cramped pretty badly starting at Mile 9 and the hills on the last few miles were unpleasant.  
    No way to really know what works for you until you practice it, and my friends who do Iron Man's and Marathons all encouraged me to practice eating/drinking more leading up to the half....but there was no way to simulate how hard I would run in such a large pack of people and how my body would react.

Live and learn!

Best part about running in the morning?
    I got back in at around 7 and my son was there to greet me....have the whole day in front of us.

That's great!
    Hal Higdon (whose books/training I follow) suggests that your long runs can be 60-90 seconds slower than your race pace, so it sounds like you are right on with that.

One thing I am curious about - what does your program say to do for liquid and food intake as the runs start to get longer?

If I know I'm going to be over am hour I eat gel packs as I go.  This morning for the 8 miles I popped one with caffeine at around 3.5 miles and a second without caffeine at 5.5 miles.
    Was wishing for some water with how humid and hot it is out so next Saturday I will carry something to drink a bit of.  

A lesson I took from the half I ran last year was to drink Gatorade vs water and to drink more.  I was trying to hold off and just drink small amounts of water every few miles and take the energy from the gel packs but I cramped pretty badly starting at Mile 9 and the hills on the last few miles were unpleasant.  
    No way to really know what works for you until you practice it, and my friends who do Iron Man's and Marathons all encouraged me to practice eating/drinking more leading up to the half....but there was no way to simulate how hard I would run in such a large pack of people and how my body would react.

Live and learn!

I got back in at around 7 and my son was there to greet me....have the whole day in front of us.
    Great question. I’m not sure how I will react to be honest 😂. I haven’t brought/carried water or anything for a run yet. I take in a lot of water everyday, so the risk of dehydration is low. It has been far more humid in Calgary than usual, but I’ve managed. 
    The shorter runs have been done mainly after work in the evening... the long run is done on Sunday on an empty stomach (so far).  Amazingly, I have yet to get a stitch/cramp since we started. 

Now,’the hottest it’s been here this summer is 28C (I think) and that was a day off. The evening does bring the wind from the mountains and combined with the humidity my Tuesday evening recovery run was tough... caffeine would have helped... interesting idea to carry a few pills and gel packs. Thanks for the advice/encouragement 👍
    Something to think about.  When I did the half it was about 30 F, so pretty cold.  Still sweat a lot and got cramps on my legs.

That's great!

Live and learn!

Great question. I’m not sure how I will react to be honest 😂. I haven’t brought/carried water or anything for a run yet. I take in a lot of water everyday, so the risk of dehydration is low. It has been far more humid in Calgary than usual, but I’ve managed. 
    The shorter runs have been done mainly after work in the evening... the long run is done on Sunday on an empty stomach (so far).  Amazingly, I have yet to get a stitch/cramp since we started. 

Now,’the hottest it’s been here this summer is 28C (I think) and that was a day off. The evening does bring the wind from the mountains and combined with the humidity my Tuesday evening recovery run was tough... caffeine would have helped... interesting idea to carry a few pills and gel packs. Thanks for the advice/encouragement 👍
    I don’t run as many miles as you and F Me. I did 4.5 miles this morning. But I have been carrying water with me since it has gotten hotter and it helps. But F Me is right about the Gatorade. On longer runs you don’t only have to worry about dehydration but sodium depletion from sweating. That can cause cramps. I even read that some long distance runners carry salt packs with them. I haven’t researched it too much since I haven’t run more than 5 miles at a time yet (hoping to add more in the Fall). But it sounds like your runs are getting longer. So, you may want to look into it. Congrats on coming so far. Maybe when it cools down a bit I will checking out the training plan you have been using. 
    GlowGirl said:

That's great!

Live and learn!

I don’t run as many miles as you and F Me. I did 4.5 miles this morning. But I have been carrying water with me since it has gotten hotter and it helps. But F Me is right about the Gatorade. On longer runs you don’t only have to worry about dehydration but sodium depletion from sweating. That can cause cramps. I even read that some long distance runners carry salt packs with them. I haven’t researched it too much since I haven’t run more than 5 miles at a time yet (hoping to add more in the Fall). But it sounds like your runs are getting longer. So, you may want to look into it. Congrats on coming so far. Maybe when it cools down a bit I will checking out the training plan you have been using. 
    That’s a great idea. Thanks! 
    I used to use little energy chews when if I was doing a long and strenuous climbing session. It hadn't occurred to me to take them out when I run. I'll definitely consider that.

I hate carrying water with me when I'm running, and luckily it usually doesn't get hot enough here that I feel I really need it. If I was doing much more than 10 km I probably would, though. 
    I used to use little energy chews when if I was doing a long and strenuous climbing session. It hadn't occurred to me to take them out when I run. I'll definitely consider that.

I hate carrying water with me when I'm running, and luckily it usually doesn't get hot enough here that I feel I really need it. If I was doing much more than 10 km I probably would, though. 
    That’s the thing for me! I have only just gotten used to the iPhone in my pocket for Runkeeper to track distance and pace. I can’t imagine having a belt or pack sack on with water and gel packs, etc. It just seems so cumbersome.  Push comes to shove I would probably prefer a small backpack to a belt (I hate belts of any kind, built like a fire hydrant and they are uncomfortable). 
    Most running shorts have a pocket in the back, you can get sweatbands with pockets.  Arm wrap for cell phone.
    The problem for me is liquids.  
    The other stuff is easy and weighs nothing.