Options

Anyone here tried this new thing called "jogging" ?

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Was golfing at Phil Mickelson’s brand new course west of the city today. After a great approach on the fifth hole I’m walking back to the golf cart on the cart path (weren’t allowed on the fairway on over half the holes) and about 5 feet from the cart is a hole, hidden by thick grass. 
    Stepped in it and it dropped me. Sprained ankle. Finished the round and now I’m home in an ankle brace. 

So pissed off... hope it’s ok tomorrow for a run. So irresponsible of that course to leave a hazard like that for players.   
    I had to go treadmill yesterday morning because of the tropical storm and my knee was hurting pretty badly.  Live in fear of an injury (had what I am pretty sure was a stress fracture in a foot back on March and had to shut it down for three weeks) and what that will do to training.

Hope your ankle is ok....better to take it easy for a few days than push it.
    Also, you can get an aircast if you don't have one.  I played sports the past two years of high school with one on each ankle/foot.  Lost a bit of speed but I stopped killing my ankles... although in soccer my foot would swell out around those fuckers by the end of a game

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Much better weather for running this morning, just 55F (13C). I'll take this weather for running all year.
    Was hot as fuck again this am but at least I could run outside and not on the murdermill.
  • Options
    Ran yesterday. But when I looked down on Runkeeper it had stopped after 55 seconds... don't know if it was me or Runkeeper who fucked that up.

So I have nothing to show for it. But I guess it was 4km something. 

I listened to a swedish thing.
    That can be frustrating.
    Tell yourself you ran the best time you have ever run.  
    Go at it again next time.
  • Options
    Ran yesterday. But when I looked down on Runkeeper it had stopped after 55 seconds... don't know if it was me or Runkeeper who fucked that up.

So I have nothing to show for it. But I guess it was 4km something. 

I listened to a swedish thing.
    That can be frustrating.
    Tell yourself you ran the best time you have ever run.  
    Go at it again next time.
    Yeah, I'm trying to test myself if I can run with "ease" sort of what my friend is running. Because he wants to run with me, and I don't want to slow him down. 

But yes, will try again friday.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Was golfing at Phil Mickelson’s brand new course west of the city today. After a great approach on the fifth hole I’m walking back to the golf cart on the cart path (weren’t allowed on the fairway on over half the holes) and about 5 feet from the cart is a hole, hidden by thick grass. 
    Stepped in it and it dropped me. Sprained ankle. Finished the round and now I’m home in an ankle brace. 

So pissed off... hope it’s ok tomorrow for a run. So irresponsible of that course to leave a hazard like that for players.   

Hope it healed quickly and you're back on your feet. 

Ankles. Ugh. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,889
    Much better weather for running this morning, just 55F (13C). I'll take this weather for running all year.
    Was hot as fuck again this am but at least I could run outside and not on the murdermill.
    Yes. It was hot. I got somewhat of a late start at 8:15. They say that one sign of heatstroke is if you stop sweating. Well, I didn't have to worry about that today. I was a puddle by the time I got home. I hope your knee is feeling better. I am actually hoping to be able to use the treadmill by winter. But I just have to wait for Cuomo (or DeBlasio) to open our gyms again. Better safe than sorry with that.

• Options

Yikes. How is your ankle doing, now that it has been a few days. Sounds like the golf course was at fault.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    You and your pleasant weather - I am jealous :o
    We will get you back in the Winter ;)

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757
    edited August 2020
    Missed this thread for a bit but am all caught up now with all your posts. Nice job everyone keep up the great work. I was on vacation for the last week in PEI and runs were hard to come by. I did however make my longest run yet since I started back up before the trip. Clocked in at 7.25 miles which I was happy with distance and time but not too happy with how my body felt on the last mile and after during cool down. I probably should have cut it off at 7 miles but had a bit further to go anyway to get home so I just kept going and payed for it with my hip and knee being irritated. Took a couple of days off and feel like I have recovered most of the way. In PEI I was able to take advantage of some of the beautiful Cavendish Beach trails they have groomed. What an amazing treat that was to wake up early in the morning to before the kiddos were awake. 

I also just ran my fastest 5km yet today. My goal was to break the 22 minute mark and I did coming in at 21:43. That last half mile made me push harder just to keep going and not flat out quitting from the pain than anything I have done yet. I did a 7:00min first mile, 7:02 min 2nd, and 7:05 3rd. My next goal will be to try and get under that 7 min mile for all 3 miles then see how much I have in the tank for the last 0.1.  
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    Very fast!

• Options
    edited August 2020
    PJNB said:
    Missed this thread for a bit but am all caught up now with all your posts. Nice job everyone keep up the great work. I was on vacation for the last week in PEI and runs were hard to come by. I did however make my longest run yet since I started back up before the trip. Clocked in at 7.25 miles which I was happy with distance and time but not too happy with how my body felt on the last mile and after during cool down. I probably should have cut it off at 7 miles but had a bit further to go anyway to get home so I just kept going and payed for it with my hip and knee being irritated. Took a couple of days off and feel like I have recovered most of the way. In PEI I was able to take advantage of some of the beautiful Cavendish Beach trails they have groomed. What an amazing treat that was to wake up early in the morning to before the kiddos were awake. 

I also just ran my fastest 5km yet today. My goal was to break the 22 minute mark and I did coming in at 21:43. That last half mile made me push harder just to keep going and not flat out quitting from the pain than anything I have done yet. I did a 7:00min first mile, 7:02 min 2nd, and 7:05 3rd. My next goal will be to try and get under that 7 min mile for all 3 miles then see how much I have in the tank for the last 0.1.  
    Wow. Nice speed. My goal these past few hot weeks is to stay under 10:30 per mile :blush:  My average usually is a 10 minute mile, but it is hard for me to muster it up when it is so hot and humid. I may be able to get back to that for a 5K, but I have been running longer distances than that.

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    When I read some of these times being posted it makes me feel like a plodding slug. 😂
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    “We were but plodding slugs, and caffeine made us stars...”
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    bbiggs said:
    When I read some of these times being posted it makes me feel like a plodding slug. 😂
    Yeah I'm slower but I'm aiming for 26.2 and then 50 miles so I don't care much about speed, other than it would take me a lot shorter amount of time to finish.

Edit - that makes it seem like I wouldn't like to be running 6 minute miles - I would! - I just accept that I can improve slowly and I'm a bull and not a gazelle.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Yeah I'm slower but I'm aiming for 26.2 and then 50 miles so I don't care much about speed, other than it would take me a lot shorter amount of time to finish.

Edit - that makes it seem like I wouldn't like to be running 6 minute miles - I would! - I just accept that I can improve slowly and I'm a bull and not a gazelle.
    My days of running sub-6 minute miles ended in my teens.  Give me longer distance runs with mile times in the 8's and I'm a happy man.  I can squeeze out a few in the 7's if I tried, but I'm not in it for speed either.  I tip my cap to you man.  26.2 and 50 are some serious numbers. 

• Options
    9s for me.  Slow and steady finishes the race.
    :lol:
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    PJNB said:

This is in Canadian speed so in the US you are running between an 8:30 and 8:45 mile? ;)
    nice work bud!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJNB said:

Glad to see you back on here. Good to see the progress you are making (and everyone else as well).

Looking back at my year I found that my progress hasn't been linear, I made a couple of big leaps in speed and distance. 

I ran a 19:55 5K today, which is down over a minute from my previous best. 4 months ago there is no way I thought I'd get to this pace. 

My wife recently made a comment to me that she didn't realize what kind of runner I was (I had told her stories about running track in high school, but she said she thought I was exaggerating 🤣)
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757
    PJNB said:

Glad to see you back on here. Good to see the progress you are making (and everyone else as well).

Looking back at my year I found that my progress hasn't been linear, I made a couple of big leaps in speed and distance. 

I ran a 19:55 5K today, which is down over a minute from my previous best. 4 months ago there is no way I thought I'd get to this pace. 

My wife recently made a comment to me that she didn't realize what kind of runner I was (I had told her stories about running track in high school, but she said she thought I was exaggerating 🤣)
    Nice! I am way behind you right now. Going to be awhile for me to break 20 mins I think. Keep it up!

mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:

This is in Canadian speed so in the US you are running between an 8:30 and 8:45 mile? ;)
    nice work bud!
    You Americans and your funny ways to measure things lol. 
  • Options
    If I was running your distances I'd be in the 10's.  Keep up the good work!

• Options
    bbiggs said:

And I ran my last mile in 8:15 today, inspired by the posts yesterday.  
    I know if I were to run a 5k or some short race right now I would be in the 8s....wondering if I could finish in 7s.  Having people running with you can be a big motivation.
    Stupid Covid, won't know for some time 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

And I ran my last mile in 8:15 today, inspired by the posts yesterday.  
    I know if I were to run a 5k or some short race right now I would be in the 8s....wondering if I could finish in 7s.  Having people running with you can be a big motivation.
    Stupid Covid, won't know for some time 
    That is awesome about your speed. Kudos. According to my running app which keeps track of my personal bests, my fastest mile was 9:12. my fastest 5K was 30:03. That was just a little less than what it was when I actually ran my last 5K race. But, considering I am a woman of a certain age, and I ran for the first time only about 2 years ago, I am ok with what I have. I am really only running for health - not training for anything specific. But since it is good to have goals, I am working towards a 10K. I would like to run a 10K race at some point. 5.2 miles is my longest run so far. I am waiting until the weather cools down to push myself to the 6.2. I am definitely not in a league with any of you serious runners. Having a goal of 50 miles is super intense. I know you will do it.

• Options
    There is no league, at least not for me.
    Just churning away, week by week.
    If you wanted to I bet you could run the 10k tomorrow.
    Keep at it!
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Thanks for your concern folks! I went for a gingerly run at 10:30 a mile on Tuesday night. Ankle felt good... it was pretty warm for a Canuck though! Lol.
    Head out again for 4 miles tomorrow. Redoing the rest week, not feeling 9 miles on Sunday 
  • Options
    Thanks for your concern folks! I went for a gingerly run at 10:30 a mile on Tuesday night. Ankle felt good... it was pretty warm for a Canuck though! Lol.
    Head out again for 4 miles tomorrow. Redoing the rest week, not feeling 9 miles on Sunday 
    Glad to hear your ankle is better. It sounds like you are not overdoing it. You’ll be back to where you were at in no time. 
  • Options
    The wrong socks today.  Hate these things and still wore them.
    Think I'm just gonna chuck 'em.  Got a nice blister starting.

Sometimes it is the little things!
  • Options
    Glad the ankle is better. It's been nice here in southern Indiana, 13C this morning when I went for my run. Going to get hot again this week though. 
  • Options
    My run this morning was good as well. Did my best time in a while. It was definitely cooler. But now the heat and humidity have come back to play. 
  • Options
    Did my mid day 90 degree heat run today.  Top that off with the majority of my run going into a pretty strong headwind and it made for a real crappy run. But a crappy run is better than no run. 😉
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Who da Fuck By! Right on Ameri-Newf! 😎
    Nice work GG 👍
    I hear ya Biggs.  Add our elevation when it’s hot here and Im just happy to finish.

Had my chiropractor do some active-release on the ankle this morning. 6 miles tomorrow morning. It going to be 12C which is PERFECT. 😂