The Food Thread

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694

Tonight’s dinner: halibut fish tacos with slaw, fish taco sauce,  homemade pico de gallo, and guacamole.
    Looks amazing. Excellent knife skills, by the way. You all are inspiring me to step up my game. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Happy birthday mrs cliffy

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905

That looks mouth-watering!  Happy birthday Mrs C.

Having ribs tonight.  Had them marinating in a KC rub for 24 hours.  Just put ‘em in the oven for 2 hours at 260 degrees.  Will finish them off on the bbq.MF117973 said:

Tonight’s dinner: halibut fish tacos with slaw, fish taco sauce,  homemade pico de gallo, and guacamole.
    Looks amazing. Excellent knife skills, by the way. You all are inspiring me to step up my game. 
    Thanks 😊
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop

Happy bday Ms. Cliffy. Enjoy that prosciutto. I know I would. Yummy.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    HBD, Ms. C.

Tonight’s grillings (cheeseburgers, adobo chicken breasts, summer squash):

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Looking good Mrs c!  (Just assume that she is looking good with a smile, some wine, her man, her baby, and some good eats.)
    Happy birthday!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Before:

After:

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    deadendp said:

Oatmeal and tea. Stone is going to online church today. :smiley:
    Coffee tea mug-ception!  That's so awesome!
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    deadendp said:

Oatmeal and tea. Stone is going to online church today. :smiley:
    Coffee tea mug-ception!  That's so awesome!
    Someone here bought it for me as a gift.  :smile: 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Before:

After:

I am going to attempt to clone Chick Filet's cole slaw at some point. I contend it is the best cole slaw this world has ever seen. Them depriving us of it's deliciousness is a travesty of enormous proportions. Your Juggler will bring it back though. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Tonight was blue cheese hamburgers on toasted garlic buttered ciabatta served with leftover potato salad, coleslaw, pico de gallo and guacamole.

This thread is the fucking best. Everything looks banging 
    Tonight was blue cheese hamburgers on toasted garlic buttered ciabatta served with leftover potato salad, coleslaw, pico de gallo and guacamole.

Love blue cheese burgers. Those sides looked great with your ribs last night as well. Did you make the slaw and potato salad. I am always on the lookout for a good potato salad recipe. 
    MF117973 said:

Love blue cheese burgers. Those sides looked great with your ribs last night as well. Did you make the slaw and potato salad. I am always on the lookout for a good potato salad recipe. 
    I used a bagged coleslaw but added additional red cabbage and used the Kraft coleslaw dressing.  The potato salad is homemade.  I used a recipe that I found online, but adapted it as follows.  Note: I did not “de-flame” the onions as suggested as I like the sharp bite.

Potato Salad:

2 pounds small yellow, red, or white potatoes

2/3 cup sour cream (or Greek yoghurt)

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 teaspoon sriracha (optional), or to taste

1 tablespoon yellow mustard, substitute Dijon or whole grain mustard (I used whole grain)

1 teaspoon dry mustard (optional)

Garlic powder, to taste (optional)

Onion powder, to taste (optional)

1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)

2 or 3 celery stalks, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)

1 medium dill pickle, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup) or relish or chopped sweet pickles (your preference) (I used relish).

4-6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped, optional (I used six)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

You can add, if you want, 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (parsley, dill, chives, tarragon, or cilantro)

DIRECTIONS

• Cook Potatoes:
    • Add potatoes to large pot and cover with 1 1/2 inches of water. Season with salt — use one teaspoon for every quart of water. Bring the water to a boil then reduce to a low simmer. Cook 15 to 20 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.
      Meanwhile, set up an ice bath. Add cold water to a medium bowl filled with ice. Drain the potatoes and add to the ice bath. When cool, peel potatoes by gently pinching the skin and pulling it away. Chop peeled potatoes into bite-size chunks then add to a large bowl. Scatter the vinegar over potatoes and lightly season with salt.
    • DE-FLAME" ONIONS
    • While the potatoes cook, add onions to a small bowl and cover with cool water. Wait 10 minutes then rinse. (This tones down the raw flavour of the onions).
    • MAKE POTATO SALAD:
    • Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, sriracha, mustard, garlic and onion powders in a bowl.
      Add sour cream mixture, de-flamed onion, celery, pickles, eggs, and herbs to the potatoes. Gently stir to combine. (Try not to mash the potatoes).
      Season with salt and pepper to taste. If you have the time, refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.

MF117973 said:

I used a bagged coleslaw but added additional red cabbage and used the Kraft coleslaw dressing.  The potato salad is homemade.  I used a recipe that I found online, but adapted it as follows.  Note: I did not “de-flame” the onions as suggested as I like the sharp bite.

Potato Salad:

2 pounds small yellow, red, or white potatoes

2/3 cup sour cream (or Greek yoghurt)

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 teaspoon sriracha (optional), or to taste

1 tablespoon yellow mustard, substitute Dijon or whole grain mustard (I used whole grain)

1 teaspoon dry mustard (optional)

Garlic powder, to taste (optional)

Onion powder, to taste (optional)

1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)

2 or 3 celery stalks, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)

1 medium dill pickle, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup) or relish or chopped sweet pickles (your preference) (I used relish).

4-6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped, optional (I used six)

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

You can add, if you want, 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (parsley, dill, chives, tarragon, or cilantro)

DIRECTIONS

• Cook Potatoes:
    • Add potatoes to large pot and cover with 1 1/2 inches of water. Season with salt — use one teaspoon for every quart of water. Bring the water to a boil then reduce to a low simmer. Cook 15 to 20 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork.
      Meanwhile, set up an ice bath. Add cold water to a medium bowl filled with ice. Drain the potatoes and add to the ice bath. When cool, peel potatoes by gently pinching the skin and pulling it away. Chop peeled potatoes into bite-size chunks then add to a large bowl. Scatter the vinegar over potatoes and lightly season with salt.
    • DE-FLAME" ONIONS
    • While the potatoes cook, add onions to a small bowl and cover with cool water. Wait 10 minutes then rinse. (This tones down the raw flavour of the onions).
    • MAKE POTATO SALAD:
    • Mix sour cream, mayonnaise, sriracha, mustard, garlic and onion powders in a bowl.
      Add sour cream mixture, de-flamed onion, celery, pickles, eggs, and herbs to the potatoes. Gently stir to combine. (Try not to mash the potatoes).
      Season with salt and pepper to taste. If you have the time, refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.

Thanks so much. Problem right now is that I live alone and potato salad doesn’t keep very long. But this recipe looks great. I am going to print it out and use it when I can gather with people again. Would be perfect to bring to a bbq. I look forward to being invited to those again. 
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    The burger looks great, and I am definitely making this potato salad this weekend. Thanks for the recipe! I just finished curing and smoking 8 pounds of bacon, so I'll probably add some bacon bits to the potato salad recipe as well.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    jeffbr said:
    The burger looks great, and I am definitely making this potato salad this weekend. Thanks for the recipe! I just finished curing and smoking 8 pounds of bacon, so I'll probably add some bacon bits to the potato salad recipe as well.
    Badass, next time snap a few pics of the process for us!  Did you use a belly and slice it yourself or start with sliced fresh side?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I made a peach jalapeno relish for fresh sausage without anything to base it on (no internet or recipes even close in my books) and I'm going to try it out on the boat today. 
    The chicken and garden veggies were on skewers on the boat and looked great, but I didn't get a pic so I snapped one of the leftovers I grilled at home in the basket lol
    Honey, garlic, soy, ginger, yum.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    No frills breakfast, post run.
    Very good with some hot sauce.

• PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069

Back for more. Today, we're taking it easy with a quick smoke of chicken thighs (boneless/skinless) and breasts marinated in a homemade mojo sauce (homegrown jalapenos mixed in) and the movie ID4 on the television. Happy 4th!

Wood: Pecan, Apple
    Inside Temp: 225-250°
    Outside Temp: 89°
    Cooling Device: 30 year old box fan
    Expected Cook Time: 3-4 hours (breasts take longer)
    Beverage: A flight of New Belgium Voodoo Ranger and Trippel, Creature Comforts Tropicalia and Classic City Lager, Terrapin Hopsecutioner

We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
    Nice rundown, sounds good!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    4th of Joooo lie rundown:

Spare ribs for an "appetizer"
    Meal of charred romaine, roasted baby red potatoes, and a couple of ribeyes, along with a shit ton of beer, rose' and sangria, while sitting in my kid's baby pool to cool off while manning this here grill. Happy fawth everyone!

• PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069

Meal of charred romaine, roasted baby red potatoes, and a couple of ribeyes, along with a shit ton of beer, rose' and sangria, while sitting in my kid's baby pool to cool off while manning this here grill. Happy fawth everyone!

Looking good.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I could cry looking at that. 

Well done, all of you. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    In my happy place. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Good eats people! 
    Happy place, indeed!

The peach jalapeno relish I made was nearly perfect, the pickled garden peas always hit the spot!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Black pepper seared tuna w/tomato & hot peppers mayo based sweet sauce to go on top! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    edited July 2020
    Forgot to take pictures.
    Crapton of beer, pool time, sun, and burgers/dogs/onions/corn/zucchini....the norm.
    Good stuff.
    I just contributed a song to the patriotic sing a long.  It was called This Land Is My Land and it was sung from the perspective of our massively obese presidont

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    Happy 4th everyone. All of your meals look amazing. I went out and grabbed a socially distant outdoor restaurant meal with a friend I haven’t seen since March. Had a great mezze platter and some wine. Forgot to take photos. Not a very patriotic meal, but delicious. I hear some fireworks going off somewhere outside 🇺🇸🇺🇸🎆🎆🎇
    Hell yeah! We did burgers and dogs. Happy 4th, you all.